The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Blocking And Attacking

• Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well then ***, if that's recent then it's still broken, which I could've sworn it wasn't. My apologies my friend, but still the point remains that some things are broken and simply unfair.

While Life my be unfair, a game is an escape from life, and god damn it it should be balance. Bolt Streakers need to be pounded into the dirt, blazing shield needs to be blazing saddled, and blocking while attacking should be changed.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Domander wrote: »
    Two-Dogs wrote: »
    If you hold block you lose out on light and heavy attacks.

What's your point?

Or is this a public service announcement?

The point is that there is a lot of extra damage that you lose out on while blocking, and now resource return.

Maybe instead of people wanting to break the blocking mechanic by making it useless, they should ask for light and heavy attack damage to be increased, or for CC to not get blocked

or

people could just learn that using all of their resources (as in skills that cost resource) trying to damage someone who is blocking isn't always the best strategy.

demander: people don't need to use light/heavy attacks to do a lot of damage. You will be surprised at how many players just use abilities, and not use a single light/heavy attack.
  • static_recharge
    static_recharge
    ✭✭✭✭
    There should be more than one way to break/circumvent blocking, available to more than one class/weapon.

What I propose is to let the Bash/Interrupt (LMB+RMB) have a chance of breaking someones block, say like 30% or less. When someone successfully breaks a block like this the blocker is set off balance for 2 seconds and prevented from blocking for the duration of the off-balance status or until they are knocked down by a heavy attack. Being set off balance they can still attack, move and do everything else except block and are vulnerable to being knocked down.

The 2-Handed line does need a block breaking skill as many people have already mentioned. I think it could either be an active skill that replaces either uppercut or momentum:

Heavy Strike - Deals x damage to target. Breaks block on blocking targets and knocks target down for 2 seconds.

Or as a passive that gives your heavy attacks (fully charged ones only) a chance to break their block and set them off balance like the (LMB+RMB) bash but you don't have to actively bash them.

Someone here mentioned that bows should be able to circumvent or bypass blocking mitigation and with that I agree. I don't know if it should be an active like the mentioned "snipe", maybe rolled into one of the morphs of snipe so you have to spec into it. Also unlike the 2-Handed line active I mentioned above I think the bow one should just be a chance, say 50%, because you are after all aiming and could miss. This could just be chalked up to a passive as well, "gives 25/30/35% chance to deal full damage to blocking target"

As it stands now there is no decent counter to a blocking opponent. If these changes took place there would be lots of options for interrupting blocking targets, everyone would have a chance to do it and some special abilities / passives.
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cody wrote: »

What's your point?

The point is that there is a lot of extra damage that you lose out on while blocking, and now resource return.

Maybe instead of people wanting to break the blocking mechanic by making it useless, they should ask for light and heavy attack damage to be increased, or for CC to not get blocked

or

people could just learn that using all of their resources (as in skills that cost resource) trying to damage someone who is blocking isn't always the best strategy.

demander: people don't need to use light/heavy attacks to do a lot of damage. You will be surprised at how many players just use abilities, and not use a single light/heavy attack.

When you're not getting hit do you not use light and heavy attacks? I was only using that to say that there is some trade off to holding down block, it also uses stamina, which is limited.

My other point is that some people come up against someone who is blocking and dump their entire resource bar on them, or go full offense without defense in mind and then complain that they lost because of blocking. (and make threads like this)

I don't think most people have a problem with the block mechanic, I don't have a problem beating people who block. (I play all classes) It does require a different strategy sometimes.

Good players make use of block or some other defense, there are times where it works well and there are times where it's counterproductive. Players who don't use block or some other defense (shields/blind/dodge) go squish.
    Edited by Domander on September 26, 2014 11:53PM
  • Guppet
    Guppet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK. Go outside and bring your handy sword & shield with you. Fasten the shield to your left arm. Hold your sword in your right. Raise your shield and try swinging your sword. Works, doesn't it?

Why does this seem absurd?

Using real life is all good and well, but you cant use it for everything. For example in real life how many hits do you think you can take from a great sword before you cant fight back, im guessing one (since you would probably be dead). In the game its many hits, especially if you are blocking with your wooden staff.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

What's your point?

or

When you're not getting hit do you not use light and heavy attacks? I was only using that to say that there is some trade off to holding down block, it also uses stamina, which is limited.

My other point is that some people come up against someone who is blocking and dump their entire resource bar on them, or go full offense without defense in mind and then complain that they lost because of blocking. (and make threads like this)

I don't think most people have a problem with the block mechanic, I don't have a problem beating people who block. (I play all classes) It does require a different strategy sometimes.

Good players make use of block or some other defense, there are times where it works well and there are times where it's counterproductive. Players who don't use block or some other defense (shields/blind/dodge) go squish.

You don't think most people have a problem with the blocking mechanic? I don't mean to sound insulting, but have you not seen all the threads demanding something be done about it?

if a player dumps all their resource bar(s) into a blocking opponent, they will die, as the opponent will still have plenty of resources. Your light/heavy attacks wont do much good then, unless your opponent continues to just stand there. then; at some point, you will break their block. But most players, be them good or bad, will not just stand there. Hence the "just hit them over and over" tactic, often wont work;I know because iv tried. heck, I once hit a player, who was blocking with a staff; with rapid strikes.... until my stamina went from full to empty. Yet that player, with, again, a STAFF, was STILL able to keep their block up. And rapid strikes hits 6 times, and can be spammed if you have medium passives(which I did)

There are almost no counters against players that "block and spam" as I call it. This game needs block breaking. This is not me speaking from the "I got killed and am mad" Point of view. this is me speaking from the " this game mechanic needs re-doing" point of view.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

What's your point?

or

uses stamina??

c'mon man. if I hit a blocking player, that is blocking with a staff, with rapid strikes, which costsabout 250-300 stamina at the time for me, from full stamina bar, to empty stamina bar, and they are STILL allowed to block, without using any kind of stamina regan I could see....

........ im just going to stop debating with you on this.
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What's your point?

or

Dude, you can't seriously sit here and tell me that you're serious when you say it's on to have a freakishly powerful defense while also unloading an iron cannon for dps at the same.

I don't care what you say about strategy and and the like because strategy goes out the window when you can do the best of both worlds.

Also something tells me he's a Dk that uses sword and board most of the time. =P
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Sav72
    Sav72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The two should be able to be done at the same time. I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on these forums about it and I'm about to make another because it's one of many issues causing a serious issue here.

In PvP a DK just kicked my ass so badly I decided to use the same DK as a means to suicide to leave Cyrodiil. Why did he stomp me a new a**hole? Simple, he held block the entire time and spammed the *** out of flame lash. He took pretty much no damage and did enough damage to put an M1 Abrams to shame.

That's a bit nuts if you ask me, and quite possibly terrible game design from a combat perspective of PvP.

To them its a Working as intended.....

Nerf more NB stuff ESO!!!!

Savoifair, EP NB

If you break something, you can glue it back together and fix it, but, it will always be broken...

• Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What's your point?

or

Dude, you can't seriously sit here and tell me that you're serious when you say it's on to have a freakishly powerful defense while also unloading an iron cannon for dps at the same.

I don't care what you say about strategy and and the like because strategy goes out the window when you can do the best of both worlds.

Also something tells me he's a Dk that uses sword and board most of the time. =P

I play a sorc, templar, and DK

I have a nightblade too but he's not vet yet... and it's depressing trying to play him.

also nightblades need a little more defense imo, but they do excel at killing fast except when someone knows how to defend against it.

nightblades do have a couple of great tools for fighting block

fear - this is the most annoying CC in the game imo, it works well.

shades - this will wear down stamina really fast if someone is blocking.
    Edited by Domander on October 2, 2014 1:08AM
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What's your point?

or

uses stamina??

c'mon man. if I hit a blocking player, that is blocking with a staff, with rapid strikes, which costsabout 250-300 stamina at the time for me, from full stamina bar, to empty stamina bar, and they are STILL allowed to block, without using any kind of stamina regan I could see....

I can tell you from experience that blocking rapid strikes with a staff kills your stamina bar, but not blocking it kills your health bar... so whatever..

• Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

What's your point?

or

I play a sorc, templar, and DK

I have a nightblade too but he's not vet yet... and it's depressing trying to play him.

also nightblades need a little more defense imo, but they do excel at killing fast except when someone knows how to defend against it.

nightblades do have a couple of great tools for fighting block

fear - this is the most annoying CC in the game imo, it works well.

shades - this will wear down stamina really fast if someone is blocking.

enemies can block while feared

shades can work... but you sacrifice an actual combat ability, not to mention they don't have to block them to begin with. the shades do not damage you at all. any player that knows what they are, will simply ignore them.

This game needs block breaking. Not enough ways to counter blocking players. I should not have my attacks with my steel axe and my steel mace blocked so well by a wooden stick.
    Edited by Cody on October 2, 2014 1:26AM
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

What's your point?

or

uses stamina??

I can tell you from experience that blocking rapid strikes with a staff kills your stamina bar, but not blocking it kills your health bar... so whatever..

and im going to tell YOU from experience, that there are many times it does not. iv attacked MANY players, that were blocking with their staves, with my rapid strikes, MANY times, along with light attacks, only for their blocks to still be up. it is completely ridiculous. a weapon should not be blocking attacks so well. That is what the SHIELD is supposed to do(which thankfully it does) not the shield and weapons.

Edited by Cody on October 2, 2014 1:29AM
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

What's your point?

or

uses stamina??

I forgot about this conversation days ago.... just now saw it. lol. alright. yeah im done. im not going to sit here and watch someone tell me what I saw. good night
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just think that changing the way instant attacks interact with block (so that you're not blocking while animations are in play) would just make block completely worthless to try to do most of the time.

The way the system is right now.

If you're light or heavy attacking or using an ability with a channel or cast time, you're more vulnerable.

I think abilities are balanced around this, at least they seem to be.

If block didn't prevent most CC, then CC could be a block breaker. The main reason I like this idea is because you could spend the stamina on blocking or you could use it to break/prevent CC, trying to do both would be really hard unless you build up your stamina.

Whatever is done, I'll adapt, but I'd hate for the combat system to be dumbed down and block made useless.
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What's your point?

or

You don't think most people have a problem with the blocking mechanic? I don't mean to sound insulting, but have you not seen all the threads demanding something be done about it?

if a player dumps all their resource bar(s) into a blocking opponent, they will die, as the opponent will still have plenty of resources. Your light/heavy attacks wont do much good then, unless your opponent continues to just stand there. then; at some point, you will break their block. But most players, be them good or bad, will not just stand there. Hence the "just hit them over and over" tactic, often wont work;I know because iv tried. heck, I once hit a player, who was blocking with a staff; with rapid strikes.... until my stamina went from full to empty. Yet that player, with, again, a STAFF, was STILL able to keep their block up. And rapid strikes hits 6 times, and can be spammed if you have medium passives(which I did)

There are almost no counters against players that "block and spam" as I call it. This game needs block breaking. This is not me speaking from the "I got killed and am mad" Point of view. this is me speaking from the " this game mechanic needs re-doing" point of view.

Of all the posts of people complaining how many people do you think there are that are not complaining?

People come here mostly to complain, unfortunately.

I usually try to figure out how to counter something before complaining about it. If I find no way to deal with it then I'll feel the need to discuss changing it, but this isn't one of those things.
  • Jacques Berge
    Jacques Berge
    ✭✭✭✭
    The blocking mechanic is crap... I'm fine with 360* blocking, it's an mmo. However, staves, two handed, bow and DW should not get 50% damage mitigation. Also, people who spell weave and block are hoping to burn you before they lose their Stam... For all my NB buddies, it's an easy counter. Dark shades + flurry will ruin a blockers Stam pool... Then you just stun him and say good night. I've got a good video of some jack wagon DK in a skirt trying to do the whole blocking flame lash... Didn't work for him... And I'm even a vamp. I'll post the vid when I get home.
    Edited by Jacques Berge on October 2, 2014 2:48AM
    "Shadow hide you"

Jacques Berge - v14 NB - DC
  • synnerman
    synnerman
    ✭✭✭✭
    And once again I bring up the impulse spam ....Impulse block, impulse block, impulse block etc . Constant Rapid strikes on a staff cloth wearer and if I don't leave I die by impulse because guess what...impulse cant be blocked and all I see is absorbed /blocked with the shield stacking aswell. I cant even cloak properly because that's broken again and used to be used as a range damage mitigation but that's gone aswell.
    I must look like a right moaning old git on this forum and I feel like one aswell but its farcical what you expect us to put up with whilst you "discuss" things.
    Edited by synnerman on October 2, 2014 10:29AM
  • Jacques Berge
    Jacques Berge
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Shadow hide you"

• michael_bimson
    michael_bimson
    ✭✭✭
    Keep it the same. Its no different than a night blade flat out disapearing or a Sorcerer bolt escaping to egypt or a templar spamming blazing shield. Its another aspect of the game that has its place. You can moan all you like but it has a counter, you just arent using your brain when you faceroll your rotation. At least a blocker is sticking around for the fight.... no matter what kind of fight it may be.

- when it is fixed this would be a fair comment, but since launch Nightblades tend to either not use cloak, or wallow in silent despair when they use cloak and nothing happens, or using invisibility potions like everyone else.

However, on topic, everyone has access to sword and shield and everyone has access to class skills that can be spammed while blocking, so no class is disadvantaged.

I agree that there are counters and for every "scissors" build there is a "stone" build. Perma-blockers fall down when barraged with low cost attacks, e.g. Nightblade's Dark Shade will drain a blocking players stamina very quickly, using bow and with the teleport to shade morph you can kite and kill the blocker without too much difficulty.

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that there are counters and for every "scissors" build there is a "stone" build. Perma-blockers fall down when barraged with low cost attacks, e.g. Nightblade's Dark Shade will drain a blocking players stamina very quickly...

Just a side note - whether you are able to drain stamina quickly or not greatly depends on the enemy build.

For example my DK build can tank two wasp nests in craglorn at once (that's some 10-ish enemies at once pummelling you with quick attacks) because his block cost is so low (~43 stamina, compared to the 216 stamina default cost). Needless to say he can block a mere single NB plus two shades pretty much forever, since they cannot damage his stamina faster than it regenerates.
  • Siluen
    Siluen
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel it should be an option to interrupt a block the same way you can interrupt the casting of a spell. Translating to making an effort to strike underneath the shield or pushing it out of the way. It would make the gameplay way more reactive and I suppose it would not hurt PvE at all unless the mobs get scripted to interrupt blocks also. You can still block a nasty hardhitting attack, but when someone moves up to you, you have to pay attention to when you block.

Just an idea, it probably has it's downsides also. :)
  • Brasseurfb16_ESO
    Brasseurfb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for showing us how broken blocking in this game is right now.

This guy was melting you down like it was nothing and your ultimate didn't even stunned him while he clearly was out of ressources.

The only reason this guy died in the end is because he released block for a fraction of second and you got a hit with Veiled Strike during that frame, stunning him and leaving vulnerable.

If that guy wouldn't have made that mistake he would have just soaked the stun like he did before and continued to fight.
  • Jacques Berge
    Jacques Berge
    ✭✭✭✭

This guy was melting you down like it was nothing and your ultimate didn't even stunned him while he clearly was out of resThe only reason this guy died in the end is because he released block for a fraction of second and you got a hit with Veiled Strike during that frame, stunning him and leaving vulnerable.

If that guy wouldn't have made that mistake he would have just soaked the stun like he did before and continued to fight.

Yep, it is broken... This was actually the second time I killed this guy... Anyway, he didn't release block... The last hit broke his block because his Stam went to 0... It's hard to notice at first, but the red numbers scrolling on the left mean a blocked attack... He just couldn't absorb the stun.... Now, if he had run histbark, I would have likely lost or had to retreat.
    Edited by Jacques Berge on October 2, 2014 6:06PM
    "Shadow hide you"

• Brasseurfb16_ESO
    Brasseurfb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

This guy was melting you down like it was nothing and your ultimate didn't even stunned him while he clearly was out of resThe only reason this guy died in the end is because he released block for a fraction of second and you got a hit with Veiled Strike during that frame, stunning him and leaving vulnerable.

Yep, it is broken... This was actually the second time I killed this guy... Anyway, he didn't release block... The last hit broke his block because his Stam went to 0... It's hard to notice at first, but the red numbers scrolling on the left mean a blocked attack... He just couldn't absorb the stun.... Now, if he had run histbark, I would have likely lost or had to retreat.

Oh ok, it looks like in the video he stop using his block but after checking it more closely with FTC it indeed got blocked.

Also fought a blocker build not long ago, but I didn't manadge to kill him. I came with my nightblade droped the guy down bellow 10%from stealth and he just used shields and healed himself back to full and fought me back holding block and spaming Force Shock, Deadric Curses and Instant Cristal Shards.

Couldn't sustain myself because his block negated my bleed (+heal) from Bloodcraze and my Funnel Health healed for nothing because the damage was mitigated by the shields he used during the fight. Also the guy seemed to run Impenetrable because even with 70% crit chance I didn't got a single crit after initiating the fight.

Since I saw I couldn't fight the guy, I tried to escape with Cripple, Retreating Maneuvre and Bow dodge but the guy just had to use his Streak to catch me up and he finaly executed me with Mages Fury.

This last part got me confused, because when I use all these buffs and debuffs I usualy run faster than a speedy horse...
  • danovic
    danovic
    ✭✭✭
    What needs to be done with blocking is add some reality. You can't just block forever as the weapon or shield would take huge amounts of damage. A staff blocking a two handed weapon heavy attack would be destroyed instantly. weapons are meant to perry (a perry would be a miss ) not block attacks a full block would massively damage or even break most weapons. Only shields should take normal damage as its what they were designed to do. Adding into the game the appropriate item damage would make it possible to destroy the weapon or shield eventually and end blocking as in reality.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can't block forever in this game..

I wish people would quit with that fairytale

• AssaultLemming
    AssaultLemming
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest this as part of the solution.

Shield: effective at blocking both spells and weapons including bows

Weapons: effective at blocking weapons, ineffective at blocking spells and bows.

Staffs: effective at blocking spells, ineffective at blocking weapons and bows

Bows: ineffective at blocking everything

Where effective means 50% mitigation ineffective means 25% mitigation

Possibly ineffective also means no cc immunity from cc of that type.
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's actually not a terrible idea
  • sarttsarttsarttub17_ESO
    OK. Go outside and bring your handy sword & shield with you. Fasten the shield to your left arm. Hold your sword in your right. Raise your shield and try swinging your sword. Works, doesn't it?

Why does this seem absurd?
    now hold that shield and one handed sword. Shield in 1 hand sword in the other, then use our other hand to spam a lava whip... oh wait thats right.. you only have 2 hands each of them are occupied at the moment.