The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.0 maintenance and is currently unavailable.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The problem I see with the new campaign rewards

Suhxtob-yu
Suhxtob-yu
✭✭✭
Prior to update 4, we would only receive gold based on our alliance's performance with a very slight increase for personal performance. With these new bonus rewards for the top 10%, it will only make the AP farming/exploiting magnify 10 fold. It is already bad enough now. But mark my words, with this new rewards system, the essence of the alliance war will be almost non-existent. People will mostly stop assaulting keeps and instead turtle up and farm AP to get to the top 2%.

I love the idea of rewarding those who deserve to be rewarded but rewarding people for farming/exploiting does not seem like a very well thought out plan.

Increase the AP payout for sieging keeps and resources so that the people who actually play the game the way it is meant to be played get rewarded more than those who yo-yo their AP.

Please reward the worthy and not the farmers.
  • Anjelicus
    Anjelicus
    ✭✭✭
    sadly tho, there is no other way to gauge the "worthy" other than AP atm, maybe a new statistic like captures?
    Vokundein
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    Guild Twitch Live Stream
    Anjelicus - Head of PVE
    VR14 Templar // VR14 Nightblade // VR14 Dragonknight // VR10 Sorcerer
    PTS - Veteran Dragonstar Arena Developer Challenge Conqueror
  • Suhxtob-yu
    Suhxtob-yu
    ✭✭✭
    Actually they already have "offensive ticks" when successfully taking a keep/resource, but it is way too low. What is left is people have discovered that standing at keeps for the "defensive tick" instead of moving out to help fight. Or the yo-yo effect zergballs that farm AP until they start getting deminishing returns then moving onto the next farm spot.

Simplest fix is to increase the AP gained from capturing objectives. Make it worthwhile to participate in the alliance war.
  • jbcrocks
    jbcrocks
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. There should be equal or higher AP gained when capturing keeps and resources than just defending it. AP should also be rewarded for those who really defended the keep against enemies even tho they already pushed and they are not in the keep anymore. They should still be rewarded with the points. It is unfair when AP farmers do not even contribute to the defense and get the defense points even tho they just stayed in the keep and did nothing.
    Edited by jbcrocks on August 23, 2014 4:25AM
    jbcrocks [EP] - Dunmer DK - Vamp since launch - AvA 37
    Chaboyyyhd [EP]- Altmer Sorcerer - AvA 9
    Jb Shadowcloak [EP] - Imperial Nightblade AvA 9
    Commander Soviets [AD] - Bosmer Nightnlade AvA 5

• Dubah
    Dubah
    ✭✭✭
    Suhxtob-yu wrote: »
    Prior to update 4, we would only receive gold based on our alliance's performance with a very slight increase for personal performance. With these new bonus rewards for the top 10%, it will only make the AP farming/exploiting magnify 10 fold. It is already bad enough now. But mark my words, with this new rewards system, the essence of the alliance war will be almost non-existent. People will mostly stop assaulting keeps and instead turtle up and farm AP to get to the top 2%.

I love the idea of rewarding those who deserve to be rewarded but rewarding people for farming/exploiting does not seem like a very well thought out plan.

Increase the AP payout for sieging keeps and resources so that the people who actually play the game the way it is meant to be played get rewarded more than those who yo-yo their AP.

Please reward the worthy and not the farmers.

I wouldn't call going on the defensive exploiting but ok. I don't play PvP because simply I don't like it, and sadly there really is no way at all to judge a character in PvP other than by judging how many people they killed. However I would be careful with the verbage, exploiting is using something the game isn't intended to do to an advantage, like the boss in FG Vet mode, when the farmer was killable but if you left the adds alone it would respawn and you could kill it again, that is an exploit. Defending a keep for AP, that is not an exploit....
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1.4 changes will result in more players actively working to hold emperor and scrolls on the high pop campaigns, due to the removal of traveling home campaign buffs. When everyone's health drops a few hundred points because you lost emperor, there is greater incentive to get it back.

The end of campaign rewards being improved for top tier of leaderboards is overall a positive thing, more meaningful than a small amount of gold.

• revcasy
    revcasy
    ✭✭✭
    If they significantly increased the AP reward for taking keeps it would result in circle capping, where the main alliance zergs just circle the map trading keeps and completely ignoring defense. We already have borderline cases of this behavior now, any increase in rewards for it would make territory control essentially meaningless.

If they significantly increase the AP rewards for defending but not capping, you end up in a situation where your most lucrative and efficient means of gaining AP depends on the actions (assaulting your keeps) of the other team. In addition to the obvious possible exploits, legitimate play would result in turtling, and in keeps rarely being assaulted and even more rarely taken. Constant siege, and much less actual face-to-face pvp.

The only way to fix AP farming is with punishments, not rewards. Make both turtling and losing keeps hurt each individual player in significant ways. I have no idea how to accomplish this, but what you are seeing now is the result of attempting to guide human behavior with lots of carrots and no sticks.
    Edited by revcasy on August 24, 2014 2:56PM
    Be content to seem what you really are.--M. Aurelius
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP's point, but the method they've gone with presents the least collateral damage.

Rewarding based on AP pretty much leaves the system as it is since people already farm. Rewarding based on capping would create even greater incentive to trade keeps. Not only can you swap keeps to get emperor, with your system they'd get paid to do it!
    Edited by timidobserver on August 26, 2014 5:17AM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wait...will those of us not in the top 10% still get gold?

If so then I'm cool with it, if not then I'm going to be pissed.
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • Suhxtob-yu
    Suhxtob-yu
    ✭✭✭
    Not only can you swap keeps to get emperor, with your system they'd get paid to do it!

This.
    Edited by Suhxtob-yu on August 25, 2014 9:04AM
  • LunaRae
    LunaRae
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't mix up farming & exploiting. I'm in the top 100 on NA thornblade and 99% of all AP gained is player kills, almost rarely at a keep sieging or defending. And before people go crazy farming by defending they're going to want to see some decent rewards that are even worth the effort of getting in the top 2-10%. When was the last time new content came out with rewards you REALLY wanted? Better be some really good stuff.
    Stands-Strong-As-Snow ~ Argonian Templar DC NA V14
    Ytheri ~ Argonian Nightblade EP Thornblade NA V14
    Heals-All-Colours ~ Argonian Templar EP Thornblade NA V14
    Stands-In-Still-Waters~ Argonian Sorcerer EP Thornblade NA V2
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AP farming wouldn't be a problem if the game didn't require such obscenely high numbers of AP to increase your rank. The game is almost five months old and I don't think anyone has reached level 40 yet (or very, very few have). If the full amount of possible AP was awarded to every player who contributed to a kill, then the AP farming might decline as well.