The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.1 maintenance and is currently unavailable.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/657287/pts-incremental-patch-maintenance-extended-april-22-2024

6 Issues - Magika builds vs Stamina Builds

• Kego
    Kego
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would more like to see a huge increase of Dodge and Block costs for all players.

Than a lowering passive Skill for Medium Armor that reduces Dodge costs for 10% and Block cost of 5% for each Medium Armor equiped.

Heavy Armor with Dodge Reduction 5% per peace and 10% per Block.

Light Armor with Dodge Reduction 5% and Block 5% per peace.

Break Free should be consuming Magicka instead of Stamina, cause breaking free from CC is more a work of the Mind (Magicka) instead of Force (Stamina).
    Edited by Kego on July 30, 2014 7:08AM
  • guybrushtb16_ESO
    guybrushtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Melee should be doing as much damage as a ranged nuker. The tradeoff of being a melee dps is that you are in harms way at all times. Even with extra armor to absorb more of a hit, you are in most circumstances in danger far more often than a ranged character. Melee also need to move of combat regularly to avoid close range boss mechanics which further cripples their dps.

Certainly not saying they should do more damage but given the inherent danger of being a melee character they certainly should not do less.

Not agreed about the "melee needs more dps then ranged" because when this is employed in games, the pve meta usually shifts towards "ranged is useless for dps, go melee or gtfo" which is not what I'd like to see either.

There are other parameters for balancing melee's inherent issues though, namely mobility (i.e. immobile turret casters vs. instant melee skills) availability of dots for melee (to make their disconnects less detrimental) and of course their overall burst ability (giving melee the ability to frontload more of their damage, at the same overall dps).
  • Kego
    Kego
    ✭✭✭✭
    You just forget here, that we only have 5 Skills to use, unlike other MMOs where you can use 30 Skills like you wish.

For PvE DPS you will have most likely one Bar for Sustained DPS and One Bar for Execution phase.

Another one is, that in other MMOs, Ranged DPS ist static, means if they have to move cause of boss mechanics, their DPS drops as well, like Melee DPS drops if they have to move outside of Melee Range. In Eso most Spells are Instant and there for can even cast in Movement.

Last but not least, NO Group would ever force their people to play a specific Build because of 50 or 100 DPS difference, that is to minor and can result through playstyle, boss mechanics, and so on.

But 500-800 DPS difference like we have it atm., is just Gamebraking and to be true, I can't imagine any MMO ever Released that had such a huge gap and this over 4 month in Live.
    Edited by Kego on July 30, 2014 9:14AM
  • heyguyslol
    heyguyslol
    ✭✭✭
    7. Restro Staff is OP for anything other than healer. The Magicka gain was really meant for healers but it turns out it works even better for DPSers.

ZOS, please take Resto Staff to one of your Main Issues in Patch 1.4. It has to be changed in a way, that Resto Staff is no longer DPS Weapon Nr. 1 for ANY class.

I'm not worried about this requested change stated above, as I seriously doubt Zos will do it. There are way to many players using the Resto staff in pve and pvp to warrant a change that you want. The need/wants of the many out weigh the needs/wants of the few = you.

I personally do not see anything wrong with players running a resto staff as its available to everyone.
    @heyguyslol

http://twitch.tv/heyguyslol_1975
  • jamie.goddenrwb17_ESO
    Melee should be doing as much damage as a ranged nuker. The tradeoff of being a melee dps is that you are in harms way at all times. Even with extra armor to absorb more of a hit, you are in most circumstances in danger far more often than a ranged character. Melee also need to move of combat regularly to avoid close range boss mechanics which further cripples their dps.

Certainly not saying they should do more damage but given the inherent danger of being a melee character they certainly should not do less.

Not agreed about the "melee needs more dps then ranged" because when this is employed in games, the pve meta usually shifts towards "ranged is useless for dps, go melee or gtfo" which is not what I'd like to see either.

There are other parameters for balancing melee's inherent issues though, namely mobility (i.e. immobile turret casters vs. instant melee skills) availability of dots for melee (to make their disconnects less detrimental) and of course their overall burst ability (giving melee the ability to frontload more of their damage, at the same overall dps).

That's what I wrote, they should do as much damage not more :)
    I can has typing!
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    just like to point out the resto 10% bonus damage is where alot of the resto OPness comes from, thats a free 10% damage for a magicka build. i prefer they change it to 20% healing for ever 10% magicka you have. that way a healer who keeps his reserves full will heal hard

or the current way but healing instead of damage
    Edited by dsalter on July 31, 2014 9:09AM
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Kego
    Kego
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or change it, that it only applies on heavy Attacks. In that case it would support the Passive Essence Drain.
  • duncan_cougarpreeb18_ESO
    I've leveled and put point into Bows, Dual Wield, 2 handed, 1 Handed and Shield and tested all of them. I'm wearing 7 medium and currently trying as hard as I can to make stam builds in general as optimal as possible in : 1v1 PvP, Regular AvA, Dungeons and Raids.

Right now with my build I reach 190 - 200 weapon Damage and in between 33-45% crit chance, depending on the gear/ weapon I use, as well as the Shadow Mundus Boon. I have legendary items and by sets consist of Night Mother/Hundling Rage and Dominion gear for PvP. Even with that, I still feel like I am extremely uncompetitive against, half geared or lower VR magika users.

This one can just concur with that for PvP with a sustained damage in the order of 200 to 300 in PvP or group dungeons (completely forget about trials), you are anything but competitive. Although, with some skill and knowing your opposition, you can be a nice add-on / support, but that will not net you anywhere the same AP to even think competing.

For PvE a stamina builds can already be good enough now, even with that sort of DPS and yes this one is talking from the perspective of a Khajit nightblade dual wield / bow /medium armor user, which probably is the lowest you can get right now in terms of competitiveness.

Even with that, soloing in PVE and even fighting dungeon / world bosses solo can be done, but it will take careful planning and execution to pull it off and will certainly be not as fast and easy as with other builds. This one has seen enough of those just jog by without breaking a sweat killing groups this one would have to either draw out or circumnavigate very carefully , meaning not getting any experience by it and taking way longer.

But enough with the complaining

One thing that would - without buffing / nerving anyone or anything - really help stamina builds would be more skill slots.

There are lots of nice abilities, which if you know your skills and opposition can be quite effective, BUT at the moment you have to swap around a lot to make actual use of them, which is different for magicka builds that can only/mostly rely on magicka based skills (and use 2-3 of these plus normal attacks for the most time) and only have maybe an armor buff for stamina use (if that) or use it only for running, blocking, sneaking.

A stamina build that has not at least 2 slots dedicated to some magicka skills, will be seriously hampered by running out of stamina and is highly unlikely to get the DPS up to even 400 except for opening heavy attacks / crits from sneak, which means for sustained DPS more around 200-300 with stamina skills and light attacks.

Therefore, this one proposes the introduction of more skill slots, maybe after finishing certain quest stages, like finishing mages guild, fighters guild, undaunted, cold harbor, Cadwells silver / gold, and by that bringing the total of skills for each bar to 9 (or possibly 10 with new guilds like thieves / dark brotherhood somewhere beyond the horizon), which would also fit on any keyboard setting (and with a "shift" key could also work for console like input with 6 buttons (5 + 5 with one for shifting) as at least some have.

In any case, just as the second skill bar opens up at level 15, with higher level, more experience (and hopefully better knowledge in using these skills) and certainly more skills available, this would be a real help and not overload beginners.

Furthermore, as some of these skill buffs are based on the number of skills slotted from that family, the introduction of additional skill slots would all by itself help these skills and builds dedicated to the use of these skill trees.

It also might help in seeing even for other builds a bit more variety than the 2 skill spam typical for many magicka build / fighters.

At the very least this one might actually die by something else than crystal shards, impulse, ... rinse and repeat spams over and over again in PVP.
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Therefore, this one proposes the introduction of more skill slots
    By the eight, no!
    1 - correct me but ZOS already said that they wont add more skill slots.
    2 - TBH I agree with them, we have (5 slots + Ult) x 2. Seesms enough. Dont know what will happen when we get spellcrafting but for now IMO it's OK. Of course it's always pain when you need choose only 6, but this is not WoW or Wild Star.
    Edited by AshySamurai on July 31, 2014 11:27AM
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • Idhaleya
    Idhaleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Therefore, this one proposes the introduction of more skill slots
    By the eight, no!
    1 - correct me but ZOS already said that they wont add more skill slots.
    2 - TBH I agree with them, we have (5 slots + Ult) x 2. Seesms enough. Dont know what will happen when we get spellcrafting but for now IMO it's OK. Of course it's always pain when you need choose only 6, but this is not WoW or Wild Star.

2) Care to elaborate on your reason why 5 slots are enough?

This certainly is not the the case for PVP for stamina builds / weapon users.
    1. - some assault / or support? 1-2 slots (siege shield / caltrops, etc.)
    2. - mage light another slot (both bars)
    3. - some 'active' passive like siphoning strikes
    4. - some escape / purge negative effects (purge, dark cloak, etc.)
    5. - some "weapon" ability/abilities (> 1 stamina and/or magicka each)
    6. - some "class" ability/abilities (> 1 stamina and/or magicka each)
    7. - some trademark ability for your style / class or type (Vamp/WW/...)

Sorry, just the essentials use more than 5 slots! Even when you limit yourself to just one weapon set for both skill bars, so that light/heavy stays the same, you end up with everything full even for magicka "only" users, i.e. stamina only for shielding, running, sneaking, dodging but not a single slot.

Add Stamina use for weapon skills to that mix ...without add-ons you are screwed and those take a lot more time to use and are not very reliable.
    And in the heat of the battle time is precious.

Worse, If you actually use weapon swapping ... you are really screwed at the moment even in PVE unless you take the time to adjust everything for the next part of the dungeon. Doing Trials this way? Forget about it.

1) You got a link for that statement, as that would be a deal breaker for me (as in cancel subscription)
    In the current state PVP is hardly playable with stamina builds and at lest for me (your mileage may vary) one of the reasons (of many others) is that a lot of those skills are not general purpose, beats all type, but specific (which is not bad, as it only means you have to know your trade and pick what is appropriate for the situation right now). However, since you can't switch skills during combat (other than going to the second skill bar) and successful (read competitive) use of stamina / weapon skills requires some supportive skills this either means, you are either solo-ing in a group in PVP, i.e. not contributing to the group other thank picking on single targets or just support / siege, or stay out of PVP altogether. Both options seem not to be the intention of ZOS, but if you got a statement that this is on purpose, I am out of here.
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @duncan_cougarpreeb18_ESO‌ Don know why you use mage light for stamina/weapon build. If only for revealing hidden and invisible enemies, thats a bad trade for me. So without it you have 6 skills and you have 6 slots on game (5 + ult). You have all you need :)
    And a few words about support. If you choose to be a melee and you get in the middle of battle - there is no time and a wrong place for supporting others. Those who stay behind should support you. Maybe even gain some time for you to swap.
    This is if we are talking about playing in group. If you're soloing - who you want to support?
    In the current state PVP is hardly playable with stamina builds
    Here I'm agree with you. But all is possible, I hope 1.3 can change this(I'm about situation with stamina builds and not about my hope :lol: ).
    Don know why you use mage light for stamina/weapon build. If only for revealing hidden and invisible enemies, thats a bad trade for me.
    You know there is that other morph of that skill (i.e. radiant light) that all those max critical guys often forget about, which actually gives not only you but also those around you an improved chance against that?

And you would be surprised of how useful that can be in drawn out AvA when fighting for a resource etc. That is not just your average "in and out", "kill some NPCs and repair walls" or just being a part of a large Zerg, but actually being in the smaller group and still taking/keeping things.

Furthermore, as melee often turns into 4+ against one, survivability - if not absolutely geared for it - is extremely low for stamina builds (right now), unless you have exactly the right skills to counter your opponent but those vary a lot between DK, Sorcerer, Templar, Nightblade, with even more variation required in case they are Vampires or Werewolves etc.
    This is even true for magic wielders, but make or break in case you are (currently stupid enough) to try this as a "fighter" (aka weapon user / stamina build).

Last but not least, when fighting two factions working together, with each having a forward camp nearby, but on opposing sides, "middle of the battle" is a relative term.

So yes, this one tries to stay on the 'edge' of the battle, with ranged attacks of various sorts to support those in melee, making sure they are not suddenly attacked from behind / side as well.

For example, the medium armor skill "evasion" is would be highly useful against those instant cast and area effects snare and grab skills, but that is another skill using a slot and stamina. (On a side note: the similar nightblade skill is completely unusable for PvP and probably right now the most unbalanced skill there is compared with those available to DK and Sorc (1.2 second cast time, single target, breaks on first hit from any source, yeah right))

Add to this that you need - at least when you want / have to be effective / competitive - still other skills in the keep than outside or on the battlements. Furthermore, sometimes you have to successfully defend yourself in close range as well in those situations, need to purge negative effects from yourself or others nearby, then run after a scroll (rapid maneuver etc.), re-take it (ranged attack and melee support), run back while defending its bearer (with yet another skill set), ... well if you have actually done AvA (with and against organized As) you know the drill.

So yes, 6-8 skills at any given time are usually enough, but which skills those are changes a lot and often in minutes during AvA.

Therefore, doubling that number of skills availabe (for expert users at least) would give those the option of "just" having an offensive / defensive skill bar.

Not to mention a nice way to make finishing these quest lines even more attractive also to those that just want to do PvP, give me that bat swarm already.
    Edited by duncan_cougarpreeb18_ESO on August 2, 2014 8:42AM
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @duncan_cougarpreeb18_ESO‌
    You know there is that other morph of that skill (i.e. radiant light) that all those max critical guys often forget about, which actually gives not only you but also those around you an improved chance against that?

And you would be surprised of how useful that can be in drawn out AvA when fighting for a resource etc. That is not just your average "in and out", "kill some NPCs and repair walls" or just being a part of a large Zerg, but actually being in the smaller group and still taking/keeping things.
    I know about this morph and TBH I'm surprised that it's useful. But I dont think it stack many times. So if you have a group and if at least one have this ability active - it's ok and no need all have this ability.

I hear you and feel you pain. And things you're talking about is right, but I still cant agree for 100% with you. Sure, with spellcrafting coming it will be a hard choise. But!
    1. If you want change skills fast you can install special addon (and I know that we cant change skill in combat). Similar addon for outfit. All you need just exit combat and change skills with hotkeys.
    Therefore, doubling that number of skills availabe
    Really? Double? Not +1/+2 but double. You want to get 10 + ult?
    3. Why I have feeling that you want to be a unstoppable nuker? When I read your post I had this feeleing all the time. You want to be great in offense and in defence in the same time. I could be wrong and in that case I hope you correct me.
    Edited by AshySamurai on August 2, 2014 9:31AM
    I know about this morph and TBH I'm surprised that it's useful. But I dont think it stack many times. So if you have a group and if at least one have this ability active - it's ok and no need all have this ability.
    You know there is a lot more area to cover on the edge than in the middle, where this would be not so useful and no it does not stack, anyway. At the edge or in a small group, it can help in protecting your team.
    I hear you and feel you pain. And things you're talking about is right, but I still cant agree for 100% with you. Sure, with spellcrafting coming it will be a hard choise.
    Well with spell crafting coming things will sure be more interesting for magicka users, if any of this will help for those not relying on magicka ... we will see then

But!
    1. If you want change skills fast you can install special addon (and I know that we cant change skill in combat). Similar addon for outfit. All you need just exit combat and change skills with hotkeys.
    Exiting combat in the middle of it ... easier said then done.
    Therefore, doubling that number of skills availabe
    Really? Double? Not +1/+2 but double. You want to get 10 + ult?
    Up to does not mean right from the start (see posts above), but after finishing long story quest lines. The maximum number is sure debatable. One or two more would already help a lot, double, i.e. 10 would be an obvious upper limit.

Also, more skills does not mean more damage, as you can still only use any which one of these at a given time not all at once. (That would be a really bad bug if possible)

3. Why I have feeling that you want to be a unstoppable nuker? When I read your post I had this feeleing all the time. You want to be great in offense and in defence in the same time. I could be wrong and in that case I hope you correct me.

Unstoppable nuker, me?
    You Sir, just made my day, haven't had such a good laugh in ages.

But seriously, this one would be happy to just not die quite so fast and as often while not even making a dent into that light armor.

As it is now, this one is one is on first name basis with each of the mages at the transitus shrines. Even most of the wild life already recognizes this one by sight, so that he is more often than not only getting that "you again" stare, while they settle down after an reproachful shake of their heads and me 'just passing through'.

In any case, as you already stated yourself, you can - while out of combat - already switch skills around to your hearts content with the appropriate add-ons (doing so by hand however is real slow and not even really an option for PvP).

Switching between skill bars is also a must in combat, but to be effective this means relying on general purpose skills and those increasing your survivability and/or DPS. (Note to self: Mixing Melee and Ranged is a really bad™ idea)

Right now the most effective way for that is magicka skills, as stamina is then free for the defense (shield, dodge, sprint etc.)

Meaning there is no need to waste any precious slot for any of that for magicka builds.

For those actually trying to use solely weapon/stamina skills, magicka is currently a wasted resource. (This approach is currently not to be recommended, at all)

Now that would be different if magicka damage would actually first damage the opponent's magicka and only once that is depleted starts to effect health, effectively giving those not relying on magicka a health buffer against staff wielders. This would even the odds, as they then too would have to have at least one stamina based backup skill.

However, the outcry from that fraction would be very tough on this one ears if that would ever come to pass.

And as far as instant critical kill & nukers go: This one would rather see those possibilities gone for good, the earlier the better.

One possibility in that direction might be to increase base health a lot (doubling it?) so that a fight is actually a fight and not who is snaring whom and then trying to do to the helpless victim as much damage as possible with a minimum number of skills, i.e. killing within seconds mini-maxing your build to that effect (and yes this one despises Mr. and Mrs. MiniMax with a passion since the early days of pen&paper D&D)

Or to provide an example (and for laughs not a staffy)

Take your average dragon knight, two handed wielder:
    - pull if at range (magicka) or stampede (2 handed / stamina)
    - instant snare with talons (once close / magicka)
    - upper cut / wrecking blow with max crit for highest damage (stamina)
    - interleave with light/heavy attacks as needed (none)
    - and/or have your allies activate the synergy effect or just attack at will and minimum risk of retaliation
    - finish with executioner (stamina) or ultimate for show
    rinse and repeat just 3-4 skills needed.

To get out of it you need stamina and/or evasion etc. For NB dark cloak or even aspect of terror (and morphs) could possibly work as well (but than you are down another slot just for the off-chance that you are suddenly in melee, won't do any good when facing a ranged attacker with just 6 meter range), respectively still be in range of that pull once dark cloak is gone at 2.5 seconds (and some of that precious time wasted for that effect's animation)

With stamina down for escaping, how to counterattack / distance yourself?
    Running? Just gets you pulled again (instant casting).
    Fighting? Just gets you immobilized again (instant casting).
    So you need some purge / dark cloak (NB) to counter this (and another slot gone) and/or evasion (medium armor skill) for a 20% chance to not be effected in the first place ...

Does any of this help against Magicka AoE attacks? No! Not at all.

So what to do if you happen to face both in the same combat and typically any healers present concentrating their spells towards the middle and not anywhere near the edge and some able to reflect every direct attack just right back, while others can only be overcome by that ...

Well you get the picture. Say 'hi' to the transitus mages and 'here we go again'.

In any case, for those who really want to go for a maximum passive effects for any given skill tree: that is already quite possible even now (5 skills per tree, 5 slots), but such an approach is not easy to pull off effectively in most cases.

This might indeed change with more slots available, so some balancing might indeed be required (e.g. capping the effect or just generally increasing health as discussed above). So your point is well taken.

However, would more slots increase the damage per second to even higher levels than already possible now?

This one thinks: Not by much, if at all, as you still can only use one skill at a time and mix and matching skills would not only be more versatile but in most cases more effective than an all-out on a single type.
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You Sir, just made my day, haven't had such a good laugh in ages.
    You are welcome. Glad you wrote this wall of text your post in good mood :smile:
    Now that would be different if magicka damage would actually first damage the opponent's magicka and only once that is depleted starts to effect health, effectively giving those not relying on magicka a health buffer against staff wielders. This would even the odds, as they then too would have to have at least one stamina based backup skill.
    IMO This isn't solve the problem. For stamina based builds magika still be a wasted resource. But mages will start use Equlibrium. And with buffed health I afraid battles become very long. Yes, it gives apportunity to not die in few seconds against stealthy nightblade who attacks from behind but I still think this is not a good idea.

@duncan_cougarpreeb18_ESO‌ You used persuasive will! Admit it! :lol: Maybe we need one more skill slot. But IMO if system become balanced - it's not so necessary.

With blocking and balancing I like @Daethz‌ idea(yep, let's return to the topic theme :lol: ).
    Blocking Idea: Staffs should use a Magical Block that depletes Magicka, have a magical shield bubble pop up on the center of your staff while blocking.
    Otherwise your measly wooden staff would snap in half from the first blade.
    For adding - maybe if skill costs magika then blocking and maybe even break also cost magika (sorry if someone already talked about it I dont wanted steal your idea).
    1. It's fair and pretty logical for me (cmon, how you can block lightning with your strength or endurance?).
    2. It should balance all system. If you stamina based then your magika not a wasted recource and all magika users need to worry about their stamina. So stamina users will get a chanse to win. And for another side - stamina build need to worry about their magika and also thinking and not let to grain it in a few seconds.
    3. It force all to have mixed builds. But if someone wants a only magika/stamina build - they also have a little advantage(they have bigger pool of one resource so they can stand more and drain enemies pool faster) and weakness(they will have lesser pool of another resource) against mixed builds.

Yes, this is not ideal system and it's not finished yet so feel free to (and I hope you will) correct me or maybe include your suggestions or point on mistakes.

So what do you think?
    Edited by AshySamurai on August 3, 2014 2:17AM
  • Soloeus
    Soloeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By telling everyone to block Spells with Magicka, you are telling classes who rely on the backup of Magicka to supplement their Stamina Builds they cannot do that anymore, which wouldn't make them happy either.

Why do people like you always want to make the game less fun for others, instead of proposing things that can even the odds you just propose methods of ruining classes and builds for a significant part of the populace.

Within; Without.
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Soloeus‌
    I hope you will not deny that we need balance and now magika builds is far more powerfull than stamina builds? Of course all knows that pure stamina build is a bad choise, but for now the best choise is a poor magika build. So changes that I'm talking about is not so necessary if ZOS knows how to fix it (hope they have a good plan and 1.3 make a big changes). And maybe you have an idea how to balance magika and stamina? Or you think it is good as it is?
    Why do people like you always want to make the game less fun for others
    This is not about to make the game less fun for others. No! It's all about how to make the game fun fo everyone (but not only for mages in light cloth). And that doesn't mean that mages should have less fun.
  • Soloeus
    Soloeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. I deny. I know Stamina Build players who work a 4/1 ratio with one magicka ability or a 3/2 ratio with 2. They can often pull 1.4k-1.8k DPS for a 10 second burst and 1.2k DPS on a 20 second burst. This is more DPS than I can pull, and I am a fully loaded Sorcerer! They are wearing 5 medium 2 heavy on armor.

2. The problem is that Stamina Abilities share a resource pool with Running. Blocking. Roll Dodging. You can't really rely on a resource pool like that for virtually everything. 5 slotted Stamina Skills shouldn't be as effective as a properly designed character on a 4/1 or 3/2 ratio.

3. Mages then often use only one resource pool, magicka. Or so the common myth goes, such a mage will never use Silver Bolts. When I want to use any Stamina Ability, it literally drains 65% or more of my max stamina. I dumped everything in to Lower Magicka Cost, and when I need to use a Stamina Ability such as Immovable or Silver Bolts there goes 70% of my max stamina. Rapid Maneuver costs 85% of my max stamina.

4. Then propose something that makes other vocations better, not something that makes mages worse. Propose raising weapon damage caps. Propose doubling the current armor caps. Yes, double.

Light = 600 Softcap.
    Medium = 1000 Softcap.
    Heavy = 2000 Softcap.

Bound Armor, Lightning Form, Immovable and all the other Raise Armor, Ward, etc. will still allow a Sorcerer to Tank and have really high armor. Then it would work as intended. By default, Mages have really low armor and can spend their 1-5 slots to have better. Likewise, Warriors would have default really good armor and can spend their 1-5 slots to make it better.

I would balance this with a similar restriction to Spell Resistance. I feel that Spell Resistance should have Light 2000, Medium 1000, and Heavy 600. This way, Warriors have the same situation as mages: Bad spell resist up front, and able to spend 1-5 slots to increase it.

Within; Without.
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This way, Warriors have the same situation as mages: Bad spell resist up front, and able to spend 1-5 slots to increase it.
    Maybe I just missed some skills, but I really cant remember any skill which increase spell resist (exept rune focus - templar restoring light skill line). Bound armor, spiked armor - it's good for mages, and it's fine. (TBH when I level my melee DK I often used spiked armor and this a very nice skill not only for mages). We have only passive in heavy armor skill line that grants us 3% spell resist for each piece of heavy armor equipped. Medium armor dont have any spell resist. So maybe you can tell me how I can up my spell resist with skills?
    Annulment dont grand spell resist.
    Creates X point damage shield for 20 seconds. Player takes -50% less damage from spells while shield holds.

And idea with armor softcaps. I like this one. Сorrect me but 1.3 have raised caps for armor and weapon damage.
  • Sai87RU
    Sai87RU
    ✭✭
    This way, Warriors have the same situation as mages: Bad spell resist up front, and able to spend 1-5 slots to increase it.
    Maybe I just missed some skills, but I really cant remember any skill which increase spell resist (exept rune focus - templar restoring light skill line)....

Immovable?

Read this....

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/123531/spell-resistance-bhahaha
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by AshySamurai on August 3, 2014 4:39PM