Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Emperor Trading

daemonios
daemonios
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
So, today I decided to take a stroll in Cyrodiil with one of my alts (I play mostly PvE) and experienced this emperor trading thing for the first time. In the course of about an hour, the emperorship was passed along 3 or 4 times by abdicating to an opposing faction.

I've since read in the forums that it's actually quite common, but it shocked me a bit. What's the point of having emperors (and former emperors) with their respective perks if players can just team up in different factions and pass the title along? Not to mention that becoming emperor gives players a huge advantage over others due to the accompanying perks.

I'm not going into whether this violates the game's ToS, but I'd really like to know if there is any sensible reason why this should be allowed, and whether it wouldn't be better to just remove ex-emperor perks.
  • Liquid_Time
    Liquid_Time
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They said there will be some adjustments to help prevent this problem.. However I doubt it will fix it. I think the are raising the AP point limit required or something like that.
    ¸.•¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•`
    Liquid_Time'*-.¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-••¤
    ╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
       IGN: Liquid Past || Rank: V14 || Class: Nightblade || World Skill: Vampire
    ╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
  • Aeratus
    Aeratus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People engage in emperor trading (or emperor farming) for the "former emperor" buffs, which sticks with you after you have abdicated. Also, you don't even need to arrange the opposing faction to take all your keeps. Another mechanism is simply to abdicate and wait 48 hours until the next-in-rank in your faction automatically becomes emperor.

The clear solution to emperor farming is simply to get rid of the former emperor buffs, and make it so that only the current emperor gets any buffs at all. This way, there is no incentive to pass the emperor around your guild so that everyone gets a permanent buff.
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »
    better to just remove ex-emperor perks.

That's the solution. Why should there be any perks if you are no longer the Emperor??
    Edited by Enkil on July 24, 2014 2:22AM
  • moxiesauce
    moxiesauce
    ✭✭✭
    They said there will be some adjustments to help prevent this problem.. However I doubt it will fix it. I think the are raising the AP point limit required or something like that.

Requirement is going from 10k to 50k and they are reducing the number of campaigns, and giving each campaign their own set of rules, vets only, under 50, lasts a week, vets and under 50's etc... all rolling out in update 3. With reduced number of campaigns competition will be much higher leaving out opportunities for emperor trading. Might not eliminate it but it is going to help a ton.
  • Loco_Mofo
    Loco_Mofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just another one of the issues hurting PvP. Like above posters have said, they should remove the buffs for ex-emperors.
  • rekina
    rekina
    ✭✭✭
    Remove former emperor buffs completely. Emperor is ridiculous already, so please don't pile something more on it. I have no problem with giving just a former emperor title to them, but seriously, no buffs.
  • Liquid_Time
    Liquid_Time
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    moxiesauce wrote: »

Requirement is going from 10k to 50k and they are reducing the number of campaigns, and giving each campaign their own set of rules, vets only, under 50, lasts a week, vets and under 50's etc... all rolling out in update 3. With reduced number of campaigns competition will be much higher leaving out opportunities for emperor trading. Might not eliminate it but it is going to help a ton.

Ah yea that's it. I thought I had seen some information regarding the change. Looking forward to an all vet campaign. Also looking forward to the non-vet, so I can run some max gear low level builds.
    ¸.•¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•`
    Liquid_Time'*-.¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-••¤
    ╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
       IGN: Liquid Past || Rank: V14 || Class: Nightblade || World Skill: Vampire
    ╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i personally think emperors should not get any buffs in the first place. I think it should just be a bragging right, but former emp buffs definitely need to be removed. I honestly don't understand why people want former emp buffs so dang badly. iv fought many former emps. they are almost as "weak" as the "normal" players. take a Vr12, for example. I Vr12 former emp, is, to me, as difficult as a "normal" Vr12. what do former emps get, 1-5% buffs to some things? :( not much of a difference at all
    Edited by Cody on July 24, 2014 3:29AM
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been going on for far too long now for future adjustments to fix it. They just need to get rid of the former emp bonus and be done with it.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, a title is good enough for former emperors. They don't need buffs as well.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • mips_winnt
    mips_winnt
    ✭✭✭
    but I'd really like to know if there is any sensible reason why this should be allowed, and whether it wouldn't be better to just remove ex-emperor perks.

IMHO the reason is simple, some people are so pathetic that they derive their sense of self worth by some "title" granted in a video game even when that "title" is gained by cheating, very sad state of affairs.
  • Kalann_Pander
    Kalann_Pander
    ✭✭✭
    mips_winnt wrote: »
    IMHO the reason is simple, some people are so pathetic that they derive their sense of self worth by some "title" granted in a video game even when that "title" is gained by cheating, very sad state of affairs.

It ain't cheating, it's politics.

I actually find it rather fitting that the title can also be won by diplomacy. An Emperor is both a civilian and military ruler, so it's fair game that you can win it either on the battlefield or in the council room.

Ever seen Game of Thrones ? o:)

Keep the former emperor perks. They aren't groundbreaking, but provide a healthy incentive for players to continue to want the title, and thus contribute to keeping the place lively while they try to get their hands on it :)
    Opinions are like buttholes : Everybody has one, and they usually stink.

3 things to reduce stamina/magicka imbalance :
    - Use magicka to block abilities costing magicka, instead of stamina.
    - Add % damage reduction to heavy armor.
    - Add block penetration to 2H.
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enkil wrote: »
    better to just remove ex-emperor perks.

That's the solution. Why should there be any perks if you are no longer the Emperor??

Agreed.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition to removing ex-emperor buffs, I'd suggest adding a title for longest-ruling emperor. THAT would make people chase emperorship and at the same time prevent emperors from trading their title.
  • alkoriak
    alkoriak
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe one emperor and only one former emperor (the last) with those bonuses. The other can keep their titles :).
  • Kizziexo
    Kizziexo
    ✭✭✭
    Oh boy here we go . You guys say it's sad and you can still beat a former emp, but yet you beg to remove a buff that does pretty much nothing. Stop whining wabbajack is full of pvp action so don't say it's ruining pvp for you. It's not a big deal to nerf it and start a bad trend. Change your campaign and ignore it there are far worse issues at hand.
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a better idea...

Make the Emperor and Former Emperor passives and abilities only work in Cyrodiil.
  • Kizziexo
    Kizziexo
    ✭✭✭
    Still defeats the purpose, I mean ppl are complaining for the buffs against them.
    Pve only helps everyone the former emp plays with if someone had the buffs. I think ppl can't get emp so they rather no one get it. Typical .
  • Evandus
    Evandus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kizziexo wrote: »
    Oh boy here we go . You guys say it's sad and you can still beat a former emp, but yet you beg to remove a buff that does pretty much nothing. Stop whining wabbajack is full of pvp action so don't say it's ruining pvp for you. It's not a big deal to nerf it and start a bad trend. Change your campaign and ignore it there are far worse issues at hand.

In a game where small numbers comprise the difference between a dominating build and a mediocre one in a competitive environment - I'm going to go with that's an outright lie. This is especially potent in the case of passive abilities.

I'd also like to see the buff taken away. Not something that's active part of the time. When you have players unbalancing campaigns and selling out their own alliance as has been the case, that's a gigantic problem.

• fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another game feature naively implemented by ZOS without a moment's thought about the ability to be abused. Just another 'achievement' (in the general sense of the word) made worthless by lame cheaters.
  • justin.sniesakub17_ESO
    So, today I decided to take a stroll in Cyrodiil with one of my alts (I play mostly PvE) and experienced this emperor trading thing for the first time. In the course of about an hour, the emperorship was passed along 3 or 4 times by abdicating to an opposing faction.

I've since read in the forums that it's actually quite common, but it shocked me a bit. What's the point of having emperors (and former emperors) with their respective perks if players can just team up in different factions and pass the title along? Not to mention that becoming emperor gives players a huge advantage over others due to the accompanying perks.

I'm not going into whether this violates the game's ToS, but I'd really like to know if there is any sensible reason why this should be allowed, and whether it wouldn't be better to just remove ex-emperor perks.

Been saying this for weeks. Emp needs to get changed so that you lose Emp you lose all skill lines.
    For the night is dark and full of terrors.
  • smeeprocketnub19_ESO
    smeeprocketnub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mips_winnt wrote: »

It ain't cheating, it's politics.

I actually find it rather fitting that the title can also be won by diplomacy. An Emperor is both a civilian and military ruler, so it's fair game that you can win it either on the battlefield or in the council room.

Ever seen Game of Thrones ? o:)

Keep the former emperor perks. They aren't groundbreaking, but provide a healthy incentive for players to continue to want the title, and thus contribute to keeping the place lively while they try to get their hands on it :)

lol no. Not only does that not make sense IC, this is also not an RP game. Entire maps of cyrodiil being used to buff up guilds, buffs that can then be used in other campaigns, is not how the game is intended to be played and hurts other players.

This is not Game of Thrones or anything in real life. It's like if you were playing Risk, and you had three players. So two of the players team up (yes I know this happens, bear with me,) and then, they rotate winning the game with each other, and crowding out the other player.

Then let's say these players get extra troops each time they win (representing each former emperor in their stable) then they can use these in any game of Risk after that.

Because it's a GAME, this is not acceptable. In war and politics, you don't necessarily want your opponents to enjoy themselves or get an advantage, in a game, it needs to be fun for everyone.
    Dear Sister, I do not spread rumors, I create them.
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They should definitely remove former Emp buffs.
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • couchkyle25_ESO
    couchkyle25_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Remove the buffs for former Emperor's, and Buff the current Emperor further. No one will want to lose Emperor ever again.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wont be an issue when 1.3 is released.

The main thing allowing this to happen right now is dead/empty campaigns where scores are low. Once there are only five campaigns it will be very hard for a players to trade the inner keeps and points without being harassed by others.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • ZOS_UlyssesW
    ZOS_UlyssesW
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, all. We've moved this thread from the General Discussion - English section to the Alliance War section. Thanks!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, all. We've moved this thread from the General Discussion - English section to the Alliance War section. Thanks!

I deliberately posted the OP in the General Discussion section because I felt the issue needed more visibility. As I explained, it was only when I experienced emperor trading first-hand that I realized there were already a number of topics on this subject. But no biggie.
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised they are policing that aspect of the forums. usually they don't care what game related topic you place in general discussion :open_mouth:

Not that I mind. Placing it in the sub forum increases its visibility more than you think. In General discussion, topics more quickly move on to the 2nd page unless its being hyper bumped.

@ZOS_BrianWheeler‌ probably looks at this sub forum more than general discussion as well.
    Edited by demonlkojipub19_ESO on July 24, 2014 4:53PM
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raising the AP requirement won't really solve this. They may be decreasing the number of campaigns, but there will still be 3 "everyone" servers that each have a long enough duration for 2 opposing factions to farm AP off each other then start playing hot potato with the EMP.

They are increasing the AP gained by kills too, and that will work against increasing the AP requirement.