Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Defeat Molag Bal

• sr383
    sr383
    I got tired of running. After enough fails, I get creative, even if my solutions seem stupid.

So I stopped running. I checked out other abilities I might unlock and stumbled on Inhale. I'd never used it before, but (for this fight, only) it absorbed 1,000 health and dealt significant damage. What's not to like?

So I put Silver Shards II at Position 1 and Inhale 1 at Position 2. I never used any other abilities. I just stood there, shooting him with Silver Shards, casting my Inhale, and then attacking with a 107 inferno staff when magicka ran low. I'd then take a quick swig of Elixir of Spell Power and repeat.

Eventually, I found myself holding a giant, glowing sword, and I figured I must have done it. :-)
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So here I am facing Molag Bal for the first time on my vamp sorc. And still...OUCH! LOL I have a really tough time staying out of his way. As someone who sucks at kiting don't ask me why I play squishies! LOL However, it seems that what may be my main problem is that my most used highest damage spell is one that is NOT instant cast, Crystal Blast IV. So gonna switch it out for Mage's Wrath. Going no pets but Bound Armor instead. Heal Staff and Blessing of Protection IV and Steadfast Ward. Rounding out with Silver Shards III and, of course, Bats. I have a decent supply of Vet1 heal potions. I wear light armor and what I have is pretty decent. I ROFLstomped all the mobs leading up to Molag Bal.

Soooo.... other than, "Stay out of red!".... any further suggestions??? I'd really like to down him today. I want that black dye!!!! LOL
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Xeres14
    Xeres14
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mean this to sound like a "ZOMG this is so easy" post but has this quest changed recently?

I did this on my NIghtblade and Templar and I remembered getting a significant buff just before facing Molag Bal. Has this changed?
    From the Amulet of Kings then right after you're kind of on your own.
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xeres14 wrote: »
    I don't mean this to sound like a "ZOMG this is so easy" post but has this quest changed recently?

I did this on my NIghtblade and Templar and I remembered getting a significant buff just before facing Molag Bal. Has this changed?
    From the Amulet of Kings then right after you're kind of on your own.

You still get the buff and fight can last from 3 minutes to 30 minutes depending how you approach it. And you can easily die if not avoiding damage.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • charlie.thomasb16_ESO
    Just finally wanted to say thanks for the advice. Did it a while ago with you guy's help and a lot of aid from Gamemaster Sinsiri. Thank you loads
  • Rumba1
    Rumba1
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
    Edited by Rumba1 on October 20, 2014 8:59PM
  • guybrushtb16_ESO
    guybrushtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking at the numbers from combat logs, it appears the important part to notice in this specific fight is that your offensive powers are buffed tremendously, while your health isn't. Why is that good to know? Because it means if you bring any kind of life leech effect, it will easily restore your entire health bar:

- Night Blade's strife
    - DKs Inhale
    - Sorcs Crit Surge
    - Templar's Biting Jabs

those abilities will restore insane amounts of health in this fight. You can fill the rest with instant attacks and blocking if you need it.

On a related note, this may also be why some people claim it's super easy while others have difficulties.
  • Tomg999
    Tomg999
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's all about moving and healing - with spells not pots. I failed a bunch, then left and prepped. I got a Resto staff & built up that skill line a bit, and got all of my armour & such to be max health. Then I setup with a health skill on the bar (Sorcs Crit Surge) and something to help me run away (Bolt Escape). Was able to beat him in about 10 minutes.
    Then I had to re-setup my armor & skills for going on with the game.