Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Defeat Molag Bal

charlie.thomasb16_ESO
I am a Veteran Rank 1 Sorcerer and I cannot beat Molag Bal. These are my skill bars:
Weapon: Staff
Destructive Touch
Mage's Wrath
Thundering Presence
Unstable Clanfear
Twilight Matriarch

Weapon: Sword and Shield
Ransack
Mage's Wrath
Thundering Presence
Unstable Clanfear
Twilight Matriarch

Has anyone got any improvements or tips to help me beat Molag Bal?
Thanks
  • LariahHunding
    LariahHunding
    ✭✭✭✭
    Roll/Dodge out of the red areas and stay away from him and chip at him with the destructive touch. Although, you can beat on him from behind if you roll through him with the sword.

When the adds show up, do NOT engage, switch to sword and shield and just block.

Their spells are reflected back at them and destroys them.

Beat him last week on a DK alt with sword and shield and destro staff with this method.

Also, any self-heals helps. It just a matter of staying alive, engage as little as possible, just keep chipping away.
    Edited by LariahHunding on July 23, 2014 11:57AM
    "Give a man a sweet roll, he only has one to steal. Give him a sweet roll recipe, he have bunches to steal."

• Vuron
    Vuron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have a destro, so that isn't the problem.

You just need some sort of self heal. You could use the one from the Mage's guild tree if you don't have another.

Stay at max range. Cast your self heal. Just keep firing light attacks with the staff. When you see him about to leap, just turn and run away. When he lands, start firing light attacks again. Rinse and repeat.

Just block the adds and they will kill themselves.
  • ssfiit
    ssfiit
    ✭✭✭
    You have a destro staff, that ***IS*** the problem.

Equip your resto staff. Keep yourself healed (Spring healing and Mutagen) atlease 50% of the time, while using light and heavy attack on him.
    When he spawn the adds, just block and it will reflect it back instantly killing it. He spawn about 5-6 adds, only once.

I'd just realized what I wrote is about the same as the two previous post without reading it first. =)
    Edited by ssfiit on July 23, 2014 12:26PM
    ssfiit | VR14 | High Elf Vampire Pyro-Sorceress | Aldmeri Dominion | NA Server
  • charlie.thomasb16_ESO
    Thanks will try again
  • PrinceBoru
    PrinceBoru
    ✭✭✭✭
    it's a marathon.
    you need to heal as often as possible.
    i used a destruction staff and many elixirs.
    keep moving and study his mechanics.
    you can do it!
    It ain't easy being green.
  • Sighlynce
    Sighlynce
    ✭✭✭
    I got him as a templar with a healing staff , so the staff is not the problem. Once you get to him - stay as far away as possible from him.Some say to get behind him and just wail on him with a sword etc. and it does work... If you can stay behind him, I'm not that nimble :( . He does not regenerate health so just keep hitting him with your staff and if you have lightening form I'd hit him with that over and over. When the big dragons (or whatever they are) come out, every time they shoot their poison at you just block with your staff and it will shoot back at them and kill them easily. Once they are dead go back to bombarding him with lightening and whatever is coming out of the staff. Heal often! If you need to get your guild members to mail you some healing potions! He killed me a few times then I came across this video Defeating Molag Bal as a naked vampire (stage 4 vampirism) in ESO and it was a huge help. I didn't stay downstairs when the dragons came, it was easier to deal with them in the larger area.. hope this helps and good luck :)
    Edited by Sighlynce on July 23, 2014 8:08PM
    "What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax
  • LadyLothi
    LadyLothi
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing maybe: try to go in without the pets. They are usually a big help, but not against Molag Bal. They don't know how to stay out of the red circles and Molag Bal usually one-shots them. It's no use if you have to recast them all the time.

If you have Daedric Curse, hit him with that, run, heal, hit him again. It takes a while but he'll die eventually.

I went in with pets myself, realized my mistake a bit too late and had to make do without them. If I could do it again, I would use another damage spell instead.
    "It's easy, a child of five could do it. Unfortunately, we don't have a child of five, so I have to walk YOU through it." Abnur Tharn <3
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well this sucks. I can't lay a hand on him. Just keep getting one shotted. After repeated deaths my armor is decayed and I can't leave the area to repair. I'm a lvl V1 temp with a restro stick. Due to deteriorated vision and severe arthritis in my hands I can't maneuver as well as most. Any suggestions or is this just game over?

Screenshot_20140815_202216_zps2a58d1ee.png
  • smeeprocketnub19_ESO
    smeeprocketnub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    theyancey wrote: »
    Well this sucks. I can't lay a hand on him. Just keep getting one shotted. After repeated deaths my armor is decayed and I can't leave the area to repair. I'm a lvl V1 temp with a restro stick. Due to deteriorated vision and severe arthritis in my hands I can't maneuver as well as most. Any suggestions or is this just game over?

Screenshot_20140815_202216_zps2a58d1ee.png

hmm. For me, the important part was blocking. Funnel health also healed me to full everytime. What is on your ability bar and how do you approach the fight?
    Dear Sister, I do not spread rumors, I create them.
  • Innocente
    Innocente
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am VR1 Templar with RestoStaff / RestoStaff build. I found Molag Bal ROFL easy. Here is how I approached the fight. He went down in one.

1. Stamina is used ONLY for Dodge and Block.

2. I kept my fast heal on my bar. Other attacks left as solo build, but pretty much NEVER used them.

3. Maintained Range at ALL times! Only time I ever hit Molag Bal with a close in attack is when he ported right next to me. In that case, I hit him with Biting Jabs and was immediately out of there.

4. I stayed on the move 100% of the time. Basically, circle strafed him. Had to adjust when he ported, but no big deal. Moving like this, the Titans hardly ever were able to target me for a hit.

5. If a Titan did have a ball headed for me, I would then Block.

6. All during this motion, I would be hitting Molag Bal with Heavy Staff Attack.

7. Healed when I had to, which was not that often; could have used potions for healing if I had not had my own heal.

And, down he went. Was not a close fight or a difficult one. Just tedious. The real key to making it easy is to stay on the move. I have a couple of mouse buttons slaved to left and right move. So except for casting the heal (which I could also have put on the mouse, if I had wanted), the entire fight was done with just the mouse.

Good Luck!
  • nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just use basic attacks and the occasional ability while bunny hopping around him. You'll finish the fight with most of your health bar.
    Sanguine's Beta Tester

• lycanslerwb17_ESO
    lycanslerwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    i have studied every you tube on this fight, listened to all advice, but unless someone can send me their arm, I cannot fight him. I have spent 3 weeks doing this battle over and over, but get as far as his minions coming out. I can only use my right arm, and No, i cannot afford new mouse etc, but it was FUN TRYING. I just cannot run, heal and hit him over and over, and im level 50 templar.
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't even get to Molag Bal. I can one shot many of the minions and block/return the spells of the titans but the other daedre burn me down. I have not laid hand one on Molag yet. With other bosses in the game I could just over level and come back later. There is no option for that here. Like lycanslerwb17 I have physical limitations that make it extremely difficult. I can't see well enough to identify many red zones and I no longer have the reaction time to deal with it when I do. Additionally my mousing hand is bent and withered due to arthritis and other issues. By the time I get halfway through such a long fight my index finger locks into a painful position and I cannot move it. Finger dead; toon dead. I am just at a loss as how to proceed.
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I treat boss fights like a dance. Damage, damage, damage, escape, heal, dodge, ect., rinse and repeat. I'll throw everything I got at em using the best player created potions available and make sure they are being used constantly.

Potions I use:
    Restore/regen health/mag/stam
    Weapon crit/power
    Spell crit/power
    Weapon crit/restore stam
    Spell crit/restore magika

I'll pop a weapon potion before using silver shards (bolts) and a spell potion before using class abilities. Always spell potion before popping ultimate. I try not to waste too many attacks unless they are buffed.

So while waiting for the cool down I'm dancing, dodging, moving or popping a protective or healing ability. I'll use immovable (hvy armor for any class) in place of dodge roll at times.

Of course the less you have to use health potions or heal yourself the faster the fight will go. It's also worth having as many fighters guild passives as possible.

Other than that the only thing I can suggest is if something isn't working for you then try something completely different. Maybe watch some vids of others doing the fight as it may give you some other ideas.
  • Grand_Wazoo
    Grand_Wazoo
    ✭✭✭
    I have a similar setup for my sorcerer who just humbled Molag Bal; for what it's worth, I'll chime in at the risk of being somewhat repetitive.

First, you are really buffed, so don't even bother with the clannfear or winged twilight; they will be crushed almost instantly and be of no use. better not to summon them and keep your full magicka reserve.

On your way to Molag Bal after you get your armor buff, light attacks will suffice for all the baddies but the titans will kill themselves if you block their shots.

When you're in the ring with Molag Bal, just chip away at him with light attacks and something that's instant cast, like your Mage's Wrath ability...slowing down from constantly circling him means he's going to smash you with his mace...and breathe on you, which is something not even his mother can tolerate.

Keep healing potions quickslotted and use them liberally. You WILL succeed, given patience and a belief in roll/dodge and blocking.
    Edited by Grand_Wazoo on August 17, 2014 9:11PM
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno, my calnfear did as much damage as I did. He followed him around as he chased me and the, guessing here, 76 bite and 146 tail swing was constant. Molag could just snuff him any time but seldom took the time. I can drop him again very fast so no big deal when he did.

I screwed up badly but still managed to kite the beast to death.

Stage 4, wrong potions, good thing the vampire witch hits like a truck.

I found just running through the beginning, spamming Impulse, worked just fine. That's where Molag tosse instant death at you. Once you get to the bridge. I was stuck there, FTC display was covering the hint but I finally figured it out, you are pretty well home free as to the final battle.
  • nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    i have studied every you tube on this fight, listened to all advice, but unless someone can send me their arm, I cannot fight him. I have spent 3 weeks doing this battle over and over, but get as far as his minions coming out. I can only use my right arm, and No, i cannot afford new mouse etc, but it was FUN TRYING. I just cannot run, heal and hit him over and over, and im level 50 templar.

How the hell did you beat Mannimarco and not Molag Bal?!
    Sanguine's Beta Tester

• lycanslerwb17_ESO
    lycanslerwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I can't even get to Molag Bal. I can one shot many of the minions and block/return the spells of the titans but the other daedre burn me down. I have not laid hand one on Molag yet. With other bosses in the game I could just over level and come back later. There is no option for that here. Like lycanslerwb17 I have physical limitations that make it extremely difficult. I can't see well enough to identify many red zones and I no longer have the reaction time to deal with it when I do. Additionally my mousing hand is bent and withered due to arthritis and other issues. By the time I get halfway through such a long fight my index finger locks into a painful position and I cannot move it. Finger dead; toon dead. I am just at a loss as how to proceed.

I would like to see a program set up for the disabled that if under certain circumstances, if you cannot fight a boss, then you could get someone else to fight him for you. I understand this would be difficult to prove, but after three weeks of continuously trying this battle, i know i cannot do it. The disabled have the rights to play like anyone else, I recently came under attack and was forced to change my account name in game due to these such attacks. I received emails telling me that if you cant fight the battle, don't play .(plus other horrendous things )
    theyancy add me in game if you ever need help, other than the boss.
  • lycanslerwb17_ESO
    lycanslerwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭

I really dont know, I never give up, i tried and tried, upgraded my gear, changed my strategys, cried, and then one day i beat him, but dont ever ask me to fight him again.
  • lycanslerwb17_ESO
    lycanslerwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Innocente wrote: »
    I am VR1 Templar with RestoStaff / RestoStaff build. I found Molag Bal ROFL easy. Here is how I approached the fight. He went down in one.

1. Stamina is used ONLY for Dodge and Block.

2. I kept my fast heal on my bar. Other attacks left as solo build, but pretty much NEVER used them.

3. Maintained Range at ALL times! Only time I ever hit Molag Bal with a close in attack is when he ported right next to me. In that case, I hit him with Biting Jabs and was immediately out of there.

4. I stayed on the move 100% of the time. Basically, circle strafed him. Had to adjust when he ported, but no big deal. Moving like this, the Titans hardly ever were able to target me for a hit.

5. If a Titan did have a ball headed for me, I would then Block.

6. All during this motion, I would be hitting Molag Bal with Heavy Staff Attack.

7. Healed when I had to, which was not that often; could have used potions for healing if I had not had my own heal.

And, down he went. Was not a close fight or a difficult one. Just tedious. The real key to making it easy is to stay on the move. I have a couple of mouse buttons slaved to left and right move. So except for casting the heal (which I could also have put on the mouse, if I had wanted), the entire fight was done with just the mouse.

Good Luck!

And thats my problem in a nutshell, I cannot keep moving fast. Titans are no problem. I can hit Molan Bal over and over, then run, heal, but he lands on me, i try to run, but this is where i fail. I cannot move fast, heal hit all at the same time using one arm.....try it for yourself. I wont give up, but its getting me down doing the same thing every day, jus to see a glimpse of what everyone else can see The Veteran Zones
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see a program set up for the disabled that if under certain circumstances, if you cannot fight a boss, then you could get someone else to fight him for you. I understand this would be difficult to prove, but after three weeks of continuously trying this battle, i know i cannot do it. The disabled have the rights to play like anyone else, I recently came under attack and was forced to change my account name in game due to these such attacks. I received emails telling me that if you cant fight the battle, don't play .(plus other horrendous things )

There is no place in my world for people who harass others who happen to be differently abled. None. Those people need to have their backsides transplanted to their faces.

The game needs to allow grouping under certain circumstances, like this one. Because of the way the business runs, though, it's quite unlikely that they will.

I hated that fight, it was long and grueling, and I suffer no disabilities other than cluelessness. Even so, I would be proud to fight any time, anywhere, alongside you and the other players who have come forward with these intractable issues. If we can convince ZOS that it will help attract subscriptions, and to retain them, to provide the ability for people with disabilities to "buddy" group with someone--even if it's a GM--to assist with completing solo quests, convince them what an awesome positive that would be for them, perhaps they would do it.

Seriously, anyone who has the cojones, the persistence, the strength of will, to get to the final battle, with one arm FFS, certainly deserves help finishing it.

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌, surprise me. Notice this.
    Edited by Srugzal on August 18, 2014 1:46AM
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was able to over level and have over leveled armor too. That, extra meds, having a better day than normal, and pure luck. LOL

• theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If my son could do it with me we could do it. He managed Bal with ease. I would let him fight this battle for me but he lives a couple of states away.

• lycanslerwb17_ESO
    lycanslerwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Remember earlier when i said i would never Battle Mannimarco again, well my other char is up to him, and i cannot do this battle lol. How did i battle him before and win?
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If my son could do it with me we could do it. He managed Bal with ease. I would let him fight this battle for me but he lives a couple of states away.

Come on. Send your son your info. User and password and have him fire up your game, don't forget the email you will get when the new IP logs in, and toast him for ya. My kid would do it for me and I for him. Yeah my son's a VR3 NB. ;)
  • felinith66
    felinith66
    ✭✭✭
    Remember earlier when i said i would never Battle Mannimarco again, well my other char is up to him, and i cannot do this battle lol. How did i battle him before and win?

I have a Razer Naga I don't use anymore. It's yours if you want it.
    Edited by felinith66 on August 19, 2014 6:23AM
  • nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

If you're at a point where you really just want the boss fight over with, it might be a good idea just to give him your son your account credentials and ask him to clear it for you.
    Sanguine's Beta Tester

• lycanslerwb17_ESO
    lycanslerwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    felinith66 wrote: »

I have a Razer Naga I don't use anymore. It's yours if you want it.

I live in australia, so postage could be expensive. Thank you so much for this kind offer
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that is OK with ZOS then letting him do that run is my only option. I could then advance on my own again.
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use your light/heavy attack - they deal more damage than some of your skillbar attacks - and if you have a heal or your resto staff leveled high enough for some heals leave that on your skill bar and just kite, kite kite

I beat him as a lvl 48 Nightblade vampire in full medium armor by using a bow's light/heavy attacks and Funnel Health. took 3ish tries but I got it. All the fire....it wasn't fun.

You got this, just keep gettin' after it.
    Kill.
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT