Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Oblivion gates

ozm8ey
ozm8ey
✭✭✭
Hello would anyone else like to see oblivion gates that spawn around the map and your mission would be to go into the oblivion gates with groups and take the sigil stone to destroy the gates but also make puzzles so you need to find like a key or something to open a certain door to find the sigil stone and at the end where the sigil stone is there would be a boss that you and your group need to take out.

Thank you for reading.
  • Melufey
    Melufey
    ✭✭✭
    You mean like the Oblivion Gates in Cyrodiil in Elder Scrolls Oblivion?
    Well, we have the anchors for that.
    The Oblivion Gates were made by Mehrunes Dagon and he's not the actual enemy in TESO.
    Maybe we will have something like that later, but not today.
    Für das Dominion und die Königin!
    Bosmer - Nachtklinge
    "Man mag den Stamm trennen, aber die Ranke tötet man damit nicht."
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
  • Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you do have Oblivion gates in the game at more then one place.

However, i'm very dissapointed at their look compared to Oblivion's versions.
    PC EU
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To be honest, I found that particular part of gameplay of Oblivion to be the most excruciating and boring back in the day. It was so mindlessly repetitive, I later used console commands to fly to the top of the damn towers, grab that curséd sigil stone (commencing endless saving/reloading to get a "proper" one for enchanting), and then get the hell back out of hell.

From a lore perspective, Oblivion Gates are a thing of a much later era. Mehrunes Dagon is the driving force behind them, because the covenant has been broken (again), whereas we are struggling with Molag Bal and his Dark Anchors. I don't know whether Daedric Princes are wont to claim copyright of their particular method of Mundus invasion, but I'm sure they'd need a devil of a lawyer to take the other one to court over it.
    Nevertheless, at least one homage to an Oblivion Gate can be found during a quest in Rivenspire.

So I think Oblivion Gates would be quite redundant and unfitting for ESO's current plot line. But who knows how the story will be developed after Molag Bal's defeat temporary setback?
    Edited by KhajitFurTrader on July 11, 2014 8:11AM
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From a lore perspective, Oblivion Gates are a thing of a much later era. Mehrunes Dagon is the driving force behind them, because the covenant has been broken (again), whereas we are struggling with Molag Bal and his Dark Anchors. I don't know whether Daedric Princes are wont to claim copyright of their particular method of Mundus invasion, but I'm sure they'd need a devil of a lawyer to take the other one to court over it.

You do realise that the Daedra will hunt you down for jokes that bad, well except Sheogorath, maybe.

The Oblivion Gates were a reflection of Mehrunes Dagon's particular power/personality. Each Prince does things differently because their magic is rooted in who/what they are. They may seem similar, but they are fundamentaly different, and thus so are their portals into Mundus (the mortal plane of Nirn).
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You do realise that the Daedra will hunt you down for jokes that bad, well except Sheogorath, maybe.

The Oblivion Gates were a reflection of Mehrunes Dagon's particular power/personality. Each Prince does things differently because their magic is rooted in who/what they are. They may seem similar, but they are fundamentaly different, and thus so are their portals into Mundus (the mortal plane of Nirn).

Exactly. Mehrunes Dagon is the lord of destruction and ambition, his gates are large intimidatiing firey rifts that scar nirn. He sends his armies through them to destroy and conquer all in their path. Molag Bal is the lord of domination and enslavement. His gates use chains to dominate nirn and pull it into coldharbor. Two totally different personalities and powers, and two different gates.

Then there is Sheogorath who uses various methods, some subtle, some not so subtle (like an island appearing out of nowhere. Which then sends you to a room that dissolves into butterflies.) And Sanguine, who's gate can be found at the bottom of every bottle...
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    double post
    Edited by Shunravi on July 11, 2014 6:43PM
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion gates are unique to Oblivion (TES IV) and Mehrunes Dagon. What we have here are Dark Anchors that are the product of Molag Bal's twisted schemes.

Wait a few hundred years, then Dagon will eventually come around to stealing Bal's idea.

* I don't mind walking through Sanguine's gates once in a while, mate. He's really not all bad, for a little while. I think if I (as a rl human) wandered into his realm accidentally, as an Aborigine does with Dreamtime, then I might find a very earful bartender, at the very least. I think the worst I'd be prodded into by Sanguine's lot would be a pretty good naughty prank for to get even sort of thing, and I'm not above that.

Ever heard of a guy named Kim Mitchell? I think he's Sanguine's agent on Earth (I've never heard of anything bad happening at his legendary parties.)

Me, I guess I'm torn between Sheo and Mora. Make of that as you will, but I like them both, with a nod both to Meridia, who hates undead, and Azura, who is Wonder Woman.

Edited by isengrimb16_ESO on July 11, 2014 6:54PM
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few places where Dagon-esque oblivion gates are seen and entered, there is even a dungeon featuring the cult of dagon with an Dagon themed oblivion gate.

We likely won't see them in the numbers as we did in oblivion though, Dagon isn't center stage at this point in Time and I doubt ZOS wants to be accused of rehashing a TES main plot.
    Edited by BBSooner on July 11, 2014 6:49PM
  • Mud_Puppy
    Mud_Puppy
    ✭✭✭
    ozm8ey wrote: »
    Hello would anyone else like to see oblivion gates that spawn around the map and your mission would be to go into the oblivion gates with groups and take the sigil stone to destroy the gates but also make puzzles so you need to find like a key or something to open a certain door to find the sigil stone and at the end where the sigil stone is there would be a boss that you and your group need to take out.

Thank you for reading.

There is an Oblivion gate in the City of Ash group dungeon, I loved it as a blast from the past.

I can see Dagon becoming an important enemy in EsO's future. We will see his oblivion gates for sure then.

Oblivion Gates > Dark Anchors
    /kill
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are smaller mini anchors that drop. They open up and usually about 3 Daedra come out once you fight them you get one more mini boss. It's close but its not exactly the same.
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FYI, when you finish the Molag Bal part of the story and
    reclaim your soul Cadwell and Meridia mention that "Molag Bal is not the first to try conquer nirn, nor will he be the last"
    besides Hermaeus Mora is a plausable excuse for a space filler for after said spoiler since it likes to steal knowledge and memories so maybe the history is "stolen" at some point between now and later?
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All this being said;
    with the amulet of kings being used up at the end of the main quest, the dragonfires out, and no heir to Alessia in sight, it is very strongly hinted that other Daedric influences will start acting on nirn. So perhaps Dagon will indeed make an attempt on nirn soon. After all, records from this period are sketchy and unreliable. It could be a future expansion. after all, it's not like the lord of ambition would give up after just one attempt. What happens now could whet his appetite.

Only Mora knows though. And he does not give information easily.

It would be nice if the oblivion gates we do see had more inside them. Maybe this is when Dagon learns to protect them better...
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shunravi wrote: »
    All this being said;
    with the amulet of kings being used up at the end of the main quest, the dragonfires out, and no heir to Alessia in sight, it is very strongly hinted that other Daedric influences will start acting on nirn. So perhaps Dagon will indeed make an attempt on nirn soon. After all, records from this period are sketchy and unreliable. It could be a future expansion. after all, it's not like the lord of ambition would give up after just one attempt. What happens now could whet his appetite.

It would be nice if the oblivion gates we do see had more inside them. Maybe this is when Dagon learns to protect them better...

I thought:
    Meridia mentioned that the tear that allowed molag bal to send his anchors to nirn had been repaired after your fight with MB. Though it's true the dragonfires remain unlit, I took that to mean no full scale incursion in to nirn could be mounted. Though I suppose, if similar events to what happened with Varen took place then another tear in the ward could appear
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BBSooner wrote: »
    Shunravi wrote: »
    All this being said;

I thought:
    Meridia mentioned that the tear that allowed molag bal to send his anchors to nirn had been repaired after your fight with MB. Though it's true the dragonfires remain unlit, I took that to mean no full scale incursion in to nirn could be mounted. Though I suppose, if similar events to what happened with Varen took place then another tear in the ward could appear

Very true,
    we can, however, see Dagon's portals already and they are already spilling out daedra. There are several examples of this. Though, I agree that nothing major will happen for a while. It will probably be some of his cultists that get the ball rolling. That is why I'm thinking expansion, this being an mmo and all. Having each Prince try something at one point or another would make for good future content.

Sorry about the hidden convo, it really is quite spoilery.
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if this time period is supposed to be fuzzy, then anything can happen, and records/memories of it can be fuzzed later by one Aedra, Daedra, or other.
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dsalter wrote: »
    FYI, when you finish the Molag Bal part of the story and
    reclaim your soul Cadwell and Meridia mention that "Molag Bal is not the first to try conquer nirn, nor will he be the last"
    besides Hermaeus Mora is a plausable excuse for a space filler for after said spoiler since it likes to steal knowledge and memories so maybe the history is "stolen" at some point between now and later?

Honestly, that may be the best explanation for the Interregnum. Who knows what his motive would be...
    perhaps during this time there were so many daedric incursions from the Daedric Princes that Mora decided to just lock away all of the records because the races of nirn learned to much about them.

Mora's little tendancy could also be a good lore based excuse should the devs ever want to do a do over on any content...