Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Games: Then vs Now

• Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I remember is being constantly dizzy from blowing out cartridges. Life was much different then. Games were expected to work out of the box but we were less demanding about things like release dates, new content, ect.
    Gauntlet_game_flyer.png
    Edited by Evergnar on June 18, 2014 4:14PM
  • Swordguy
    Swordguy
    ✭✭✭
    games in the old days took 2 developers and a few months to make. now you have teams that cover different aspects of the game, and daily meetings for each team to tell the others what its doing, and what they need. sometimes, teams are in different locations of the world, and even speak different first languages. Nowadays, just to maintain something like an mmo, without doing any more development, would take at least half a dozen devs, and likely entry level devs that understand 5% of the game code at best.
    Edited by Swordguy on June 18, 2014 4:30PM
    IN SOVIET RUSSIA, GUN LOADS YOU!

Do you Troll bait?

Support Soundcloud, its' artists and listen to millions of free tracks...
    Like Mine! ---> https://soundcloud.com/swordguy/party-in-the-dui
    Or This Brilliant Track ----> https://soundcloud.com/teknolog1st/cstriker
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Swordguy wrote: »
    games in the old days took 2 developers and a few months to make. now you have teams that cover different aspects of the game, and daily meetings for each team to tell the others what its doing, and what they need. sometimes, teams are in different locations of the world, and even speak different first languages. Nowadays, just to maintain something like an mmo, without doing any more development, would take at least half a dozen devs, and likely entry level devs that understand 5% of the game code at best.

Indeed, games take longer to make for less play, they have become far more complicated, graphics alone take longer than whole games used too. Also games have more of a plot, more interactions, more complicated controls.

On the downside games are more buggy, and are changed after launch, often morphing into relatively different games.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as we're reminiscing, the first computer game I ever played on the Commodore 64 was one where my dad laboriously transcribed the code, character by character, from a computer magazine that had printed it out, because that was what you did back in the days when almost nobody had a computer, game stores were years away, modems were sci-fi, and the internet was an unthinkable concept. Heck, this was before we even had a floppy drive - the game was written onto a cassette tape. I don't remember if the game even had a name, but it was just navigating a maze. And it had a bug - there was one wall that you could move right through.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ur-Quan wrote: »
    As long as we're reminiscing, the first computer game I ever played on the Commodore 64 was one where my dad laboriously transcribed the code, character by character, from a computer magazine that had printed it out, because that was what you did back in the days when almost nobody had a computer, game stores were years away, modems were sci-fi, and the internet was an unthinkable concept. Heck, this was before we even had a floppy drive - the game was written onto a cassette tape. I don't remember if the game even had a name, but it was just navigating a maze. And it had a bug - there was one wall that you could move right through.

First system here was a Commodore Vic 20. We had a tape drive to, lol. Gorf was the first game I ever played.

Sometimes we can forget that taking a screenshot of eso requires more programming, memory...hell everything than an entire game required back in 1980.

And that screenshot would have completely blown the minds of us who were alive back then.
  • Falmer
    Falmer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure that had anything to do with the games themselves, but rather the attitudes of the people playing them. Its a whole different generation now.

When I buy a game I don't like I rarely say anything. Never ask for a refund and certainly never visit their forums and post troll threads about the game.

Even just last summer during Steams sale, I decided to try Dark Souls. Terrible game, that the company didn't even attempt to port properly to the PC. Wasted $5 bucks. Didn't throw a fit, just wrote off that developer/publisher as ever getting future business from me, since I now know what to expect of their PC offerings. Same for The Bureau:Xcom.

Closest I came to forum ranting was with X:Rebirth. Left a few posts on their forums before the end, simply because I couldn't believe that was intended to be the game. That was a complete shattering of expectations, unlike I have ever experience before. Was like going to see the next Star Wars movie and end up with My Little Pony.