The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Official Discussion Thread for "The Road Ahead – June 4th"

• Surinen
    Surinen
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate armour colouring, I really do, but, what about mentioned(correct me if I'm wrong) 'option' to play another classes without a necessity of reroll? And as much as I like an idea of painting my gear, I would like much more to see a glimpse, quick preview about Spell Crafting/Making.
  • ferzalrwb17_ESO
    ferzalrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheBucket wrote: »
    He has been saying he plays a nightblade since beta January. Dont act like a brat

Yes. As I said we've heard that line before as some kind of attempted pacifier.

• someuser
    someuser
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff ahead!
    To make ESO look and feel like a PC MMO check out the following:

PhinixUI addon-powered interface for ESO
  • TomSamuel
    TomSamuel
    ✭✭
    I play rp very much and quite often, I don't power level at all. I'm going to be playing stuff for the first time like the AD and EP campaigns . I'll never get done this game XD Thank you :)
  • rayeab16_ESO
    rayeab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    definately seccond the 'dont tie all dyes to achevements' plea.
    if you look carefully at the dye picture, the not quite black they selected was from doing a weekly trial completed.

not quite black...i say that again....not quite black.
    if they are gating a dark gray dye behind completing a weekly trial....not black-black, that shade that players drive you mad with in neverwinter (original one) because they looked like a black hole lol...then imagine the problem we are going to be having when they finaly decide what achevements to give you that black of the Shadows....maybe if it was a freebee for offing molag bell-end, sure....at least you can (eventualy lol ) be garenteed that black you wanted...

and actualy, dying leather was very simple. deep colour dyes were everywhere in the middle and dark ages. *making them stay* was the hard part. most of it involed large amounts of *** and other nasty things (becasue it was the cheapest way of getting amonia if memory serves)
    some of the best blues, were air coloured. woad and indigo, the longer you held them out to the air befor you dipped them in that stinking barrel of wee...decided how deep the colour was going to be.

metals were the hardest to colour, till they likely realised that glass (ie enamaling) was the best way to go about it. but that was (far as i remember) mostly for the rich, the decorative and the noble houses that never actualy went to war in them lol...(becasue you had a nice suit of well trusted armour for war. not that gaudy stuff you wore to impress the lesser houses when you visited the king or queen)

so i do agree, that metal colours should be less of a clowns paint job. but at the same time, you dont need *all* metal armour to be glossy. after all, we have been told that, as a <vr (that is less than veteran) we arent entitald to anything but crap right?
    i will be reasonably well satisfied if the lighter, washed out dyes are crafted with basic alchemical items. darker dyes should require enchanted dusts i think, to give enchanters something to make that can be usefull. perhaps powdered gemstones would work. (and would likely give banks a breather since you just cant help yourself from hoarding them all the time when you deconstruct things) for some of the darkest dyes.
    selling them from vendors would also be great. keep the metalic dyes behind the achevements, becasue they are, after all, a VR overlay that the rest of us nubs arent allowed, remember? we had all those shiney, silky overlay removed and set aside for the veteran players gear didnt we?

speaking of veteran....please, for the love of Aedra and Daedra, STOP JUST MAKING EVERY NEW AREA VETERAN!
    ahem...
    have no problem giving vets a new dungeon. but stop making them in veteran only, need to be partied areas that you HAVE to be vet levels to even visit. dont give us that drek about 'you can go, but the mobs will eat you alive' what is the point, other than to make everyone grind moar, to make all the newer content veteran only.
    sure, give them a nice area now and again. give them a nice new vet level dungy every big patch. but STOP with all the new content being veteran only. you realy are digging yourself deeper into a pit, if you just follow that line.

its like original everquest (which has 21 expansions now and STILL adding more) where new players just could not catch up...you get to a point where you cannot bring yourself to grind more, becasue they keep moving your goalposts!
    (i say that for those that love to pvp, but wont exploit/grindfest to get there fast)
    how can you hope to keep the PvPers happy, if you keep making it so that you must! level up in moar grinde every 2 months, just to be able to not get outclassed by someone that went and grinded/exploited their way to the next set of levels in a day or so?

i also say that for those of us that wont be going thru the vet grind, who want to have fun places to visit too. i have no problem not getting fancy titals. getting fancy dungeon drops and achevements. but i DO have a problem not being able to visit a nice new area, that you guys obviously worked hard on, to make it look good...
    (and dont say 'just grind veteran' thats not an option for me. i HAVE alts, i shouldnt have to grind the same gameplay again, just to visit newly spawned areas. or pvp to get the levels (which everyone claims is way too slow in any case ))

• Greevir
    Greevir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how I feel about the dye system atm... I feel like the color should be toned down a bit. Right now in that screenshot it's just far too.... vibrant?
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how I feel about the dye system atm... I feel like the color should be toned down a bit. Right now in that screenshot it's just far too.... vibrant?

Dunno what monitor you're using but I have a calibrated IPS panel and it looks 100% fine to me. Maybe your color settings are too vibrant...
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the 1.5sec GLOBAL COOLDOWN was completely intentional.

In a game where we were promised no global cooldowns, you take the weakest classes primary DPS ability, which is already a channeled cast, and you decide it is a good idea to disable the player for one and a half seconds after they cast it.

I'm sorry but this defies all logic and reason.
    And this is why I have no trust in the devs anymore.
    The weakest dps class in the game, and they add a Global cool down to a game they said there would be no global cool downs as part of the advertising of the GAME! Just remove the templar class, confess you stuffed up the design as they have no mana recovery but all other classes do, but you don't want to give a class with a heal skill any mana recovery and be done with it.
  • Tyr
    Tyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mablung wrote: »
    The plan looks good and sounds solid. Implementation will mean everything. I beg you to keep information like this coming and not just in state of the game updates.

The dye system looks just like GW2 but that is fine because it works. My one suggestion though would be to make dyes purchasable through a vendor only. No rare drops etc. I hope to avoid the next motif market exploit.

I completely understand the need for small incremental improvements and fixes. This however is still unacceptable with the nightblade class. It is not so much that we are underpowered, it is that our abilities and passives do not work. There is a big difference. So attempting to sugar coat it with the statement that you play one is really insulting.

Anyhow, thanks for the information. It is appreciated.

You won't be able to purchase them and they won't be through drops. You get them from unlocking achievements only.
  • wpitterlb14a_ESO
    Natjur wrote: »
    So the 1.5sec GLOBAL COOLDOWN was completely intentional.

In a game where we were promised no global cooldowns, you take the weakest classes primary DPS ability, which is already a channeled cast, and you decide it is a good idea to disable the player for one and a half seconds after they cast it.

I'm sorry but this defies all logic and reason.
    And this is why I have no trust in the devs anymore.
    The weakest dps class in the game, and they add a Global cool down to a game they said there would be no global cool downs as part of the advertising of the GAME! Just remove the templar class, confess you stuffed up the design as they have no mana recovery but all other classes do, but you don't want to give a class with a heal skill any mana recovery and be done with it.

Do we really need to talk about this anymore? They already admitted it was a bad idea and they have already fixed it. Get over it.
  • ViciousMink
    ViciousMink
    ✭✭
    Mablung wrote: »
    The dye system looks just like GW2 but that is fine because it works. My one suggestion though would be to make dyes purchasable through a vendor only. No rare drops etc. I hope to avoid the next motif market exploit.

I really have to agree with this. I mean, okay, blazing shiny gold and silver dyes and fuligin black, maybe? Or maybe not. I'd rather avoid the motif shenanigans for dyes as well.

It's a bummer that there's nothing still about the Thieves' Guild; I'm really looking forward to the most out of any of the upcoming content, so of course I want it now now now. =) Still, hoping it'll be worth the wait!
  • BergisMacBride
    BergisMacBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The balance issues aren't so much with the classes as they are with Weapon and Armor skills.

^^^This - so much this. It needs to be repeated often. This roadmap shows the Devs either don't get it or refuse to address the root of the problem.

They need to balance weapon and armor skills first and then get to the work of class balance. A lot of players not using light armor and staves (e.g., DK tanks and stamina weapon builds) will suffer collateral damage when their class gets nerfed based upon the class using an overpowered armor/weapon combination.
  • kasain
    kasain
    ✭✭✭
    No sor nerf!!!! We are the true princes of eso.
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    also, I'd like to know why dyes weren't in the game to begin with. Along with a host of other BASIC mmo mechanics.

Because if you promise frequent content updates and new features you can't have everything in at launch, otherwise you run out of ideas really fast.

You end up like Guild Wars 2 where every couple of weeks they release anew jumping puzzle, and new outfit, a new set of pointless achievements, and a new set of baddies that spawn by the hundreds in zones you've already explored.
    Okay, this makes no sense. You keep basic, easily implemented mechanics out of a game just so you can have something to release later?

I'm being sarcastic, bro.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • Logan9a
    Logan9a
    ✭✭✭
    You won't be able to purchase them and they won't be through drops. You get them from unlocking achievements only.

Sad news, so much opportunity squandered.
  • One-Winged
    One-Winged
    Soul Shriven
    AWESOME UPDATE!!!
    Angel.
  • victor94villarrealb14_ESO
    Overall I really do love seeing where this game is going, but the one complaint I still have is the fact that your neck shows when wearing the face cover. I feel it should cover you neck rather than show it. To be honest It's the main reason I always have the hide helmet choice selected.

How -do- you hide the helmet?
    I've been looking all over for that and can't find it anywhere.
    It should be in your gameplay settings.
  • Rhazmuz
    Rhazmuz
    ✭✭✭
    Im liking what Im reading, however I would like to see you touch on the heavy armor skill line.

When playing as a tank in group content, ultimate gain seems very limited. It would be nice if one of the passives in heavy armor makes it so you gain ultimate by taking damage, base don the number of heavy armor pieces.
    Rhazmuz - Nord DK tank
    PS4 - EU
  • jay122897_ESO
    jay122897_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Love the game so far. Lots of stuff to do and explore. I am glad to hear about the FOV change (much needed) and being able to pick up/use more items you find laying around. Making the small dungeons bigger sounds cool too. The customization by dyeing armor sounds good as long as its doesn't get too far fetched. While I like being able to group w/ people to do things like dropping anchors, mini bosses and dungeons I hope that some new areas as they come out are also more geared for single players to do more (hard for me to spend hours as a group doing trials w/ a wife and kid....and working nites...lol)
  • Inco
    Inco
    ✭✭✭✭
    COOL things I saw and can't wait to see:
    • DYES
    • GUILD Stuff
    • Balancing of DK/NB classes
    • More Content

Things that TICK ME OFF that I didn't see:
    • What about Templar's? We getting BUFFED anytime soon?
    • Stamina Build issues?
    • BOTS - Still pretty much alive and well in starter zones
    • Jewelry? Ability to change or create maybe in the near future?

I'm a V12 Templar Healer and I refuse to crawl my way thru VR1-VR12 again with another class cause ZOS screwed mine up and can't seem to balance it correctly. You NERFED this class to the ground in BETA and said 2 months ago (Reddit link) it was being "fixed", but nothing has happened.

Love the game, but after today I'm starting to actually realize it's almost time to move on to something else. Not a threat, but good will only goes so far and after waiting around a year in other MMO's to fix things I'm not going to do the same for ZOS to fix our class and save the $15 a month.

ZOS - you guys have ticked off DK's (justified I think), NB's are a tad more happy, but Templars (Those left) are most likely heading for the door. Might want to do some of that fancy "FIXING" or mention of fixes a tad more and quickly before you dip in sub's becomes a steeper incline.
  • bean19
    bean19
    ✭✭✭

The fact that they did not even acknowledge the complaint with Veteran content I see posted most often is disappointing. I keep reading that veteran difficulty is too difficult and that the rewards for doing the difficult content are not worth the effort. They mentioned making loot that is worth getting and adding more points (resource or skillpoints are not mentioned - skill points would be "meh" so we can probably assume resource points or a new system), so that addresses half the issue.

Maybe raising the soft-caps significantly would help with the difficulty. Even if they removed the entire soft-cap, my character would probably only have 100-200 more points in magicka. I need to have a certain amount of HP to not die ridiculously often from single attacks. That's almost one extra spell before running out of mana and maybe 5% more damage (rough estimate, didn't look at numbers) from skills. That wouldn't do anything.

The current issue isn't that Veteran content is too hard. It's that it is so hard that I feel locked into a handful of builds to be able to beat it. My favorite part of the game is changing up skills to keep combat exciting and interesting. I'll play the same thing for a few levels and then tweak it a little or change it dramatically. . . but I can't do that in veteran levels because my experimental builds usually fail, so instead of playing with them for a few levels, I end up having to switch back to the same skill bar I've literally used for the last 10-20 hours of combat on that character. The design choice to make veteran difficulty punishingly difficult is that you've eliminated one of the most outstanding features in your game.

Plus, this is solo PVE. This content isn't meant to be hard. This is the content that is made for casuals and core gamers. It's highly story-driven, not group-dependent, and should be achievable by an average player. This is the content made for people who want to relax and enjoy progressing a character in an online world.

There should be challenging content, but it should be isolated from the rest of the game. Trials and to a lesser-degree dungeons and open-world group content are where the game's challenge should be. . . not the veteran solo PvE content.

Btw, open-world group content has been unsuccessful in every MMO other than EQ1 for a reason (and it only worked there because every other MMO out back then copied EQ1's mistakes). Craglorn should be a solo area with group world bosses and group dungeons and trials in their own instances. . . making open-world group content results in either zergs that make the content ridiculously easy or people not playing the content because they can't be bothered to find a group, or to replace members of a group who have to leave or who aren't good enough to do the content. In general, group content is a pain that isn't worth the effort for players to organize themselves to take it on. This is why you see other MMOs coming up with Dungeon Finders that make this seamless or use auto-grouping when groups are available with scaled difficulty like Warframe. This is probably the hardest design decision ESO has made for me to understand. . . it's like you intentionally are ignoring everything designers have learned about grouping in MMOs since Everquest and are choosing to return to the mistakes of first generation MMOs. I know that is some heavy criticism and I don't mean to be rude, but I really just can't grok the design philosophy.
  • drktksnub18_ESO
    Soo... about imperial city pvp? or... duels..? or.. improvements to cyrodiil? PvP update pls.
  • Aeowyn
    Aeowyn
    ✭✭✭
    The content updates, and customization options for guilds and player gear is exciting. I'm looking forward to creating more of an identity for my characters, and to continue to explore new content.

I do also, however, agree with a few of the other comments made regarding the very low comparative DPS ability of Templars, and the clear strength of the light/restro/destro build, particularly in veteran content. Contributing to a group instance or trying to get through veteran quests (non-Craglorn) require minimum DPS to complete, and are large roadblocks for our class.

I'm sure the ZOS team has access to far better data across the veteran user base than I, but it would be great to hear they are looking into giving a little more strength to one or two of our Templar abilities or making stamina based weapons more viable.
    Edited by Aeowyn on June 4, 2014 9:57PM
  • Laurentia
    Laurentia
    ✭✭
    Hey, you forgot to mention the templar.I'm sure you just forgot to add your awesome plans for this class to the post, just like last patch. Am i right guys?...guys?

But seriously:No plans on buffing/changing the templar class? It's the weakest class and that is so obvious it's just sad:(.
    Edited by Laurentia on June 5, 2014 12:59AM
  • Jsmt67
    Jsmt67
    ✭✭✭
    Just want to say thank you Mr. Firor for the Road Ahead update and the information. Been loving the game and my class. Have met and adventured with some happy and fun loving players. I'm excited to be here and playing ESO in its early stages. Can't wait to see what the game looks like in the future!
    We are the Renrijra Krin. "The Mercenary's Grin¸" "The Laugh of the Landless," and "The Smiling Scum" would all be fair translations. We believe in justice, but do not follow laws. These are not rules, for there is no word for "rules" in Ta'agra. Call them our "thjizzrini" -- "foolish concepts."
  • Nithrakis
    Nithrakis
    Looking forward to that armor dyeing system. Looks great. Gotta AvA in style!
  • thoto.harrisub17_ESO
    thoto.harrisub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    The actual PvP is awesome, the most imersive PvP i ever played. But i guess it needs a Sparring system, or arenas (solo, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4).

Sparring System would be similar to duels on World of Warcraft, it is a fight just for fun, and it ends when someone hits 1% hitpoints.

And Arenas would be ranked to see who gather most wins/kills/whatever.

It would open up possibilities of casual players that like to play around with friends doing some useless duels. (I am one of these.)
  • TheRealMcKoy
    TheRealMcKoy
    ✭✭
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep the dyeing system true to the Elder Scrolls environment.

One of the most--if not the most--enjoyable aspects of this game is the environment and being able to immerse ourselves into it. I can deal with the bugs and the glitches and even the relentless gold spammers, but if this turns up looking like WoW or some other kiddy cartoon game, I'm not sure how long I will stick around. I am committed to this game and highly invested in it. I just sank $2000 in building a new PC specifically for this game because I wanted to enjoy this environment to the absolute best it had to offer. I have never been that committed to a game before.

I am excited about the ability to further customize our characters, but please don't ruin a good thing. It's like wearing cologne...a little dab goes a long way. Too much, and you ruin the environment for everyone around you.
  • cortechsnub18_ESO
    Not too happy about raising stats and armor values for vets. This will just make it even more necessary to be max veteran level to stand a chance in PvP, and put non-vets even further behind. I guess I just need to accept that ESO is a "race to the endgame" MMO like all the rest. If only my grind tolerance were higher.