Maintenance for the week of June 17:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)

1 handed weapon style

• Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    Gaudrath wrote: »
    crowfl56 wrote: »
    Sword and shield, to me is working the way its supposed to now.

Use sword for major damage, use shield, mainly to disrupt or interupt mob and some minor damage. That's how its supposed work :)

Crow you totally missed my point. For RP reasons I want to ONLY use a sword. We now cannot do that.

Yes we can. Just don't equip the shield. You won't have many weapon moves that way (in fact not sure if S&B will even work with just the one handed weapon equipped) but you can still combine with class and guild spells for effectiveness. You won't be top of the line, but it will be quite doable.

Again my whole point is NOW after the patch, you cannot equip just a sword and have any abilities in the 1h & shield line.

Its like hearding cats in here.

So what you're saying is that before the patch you could have used S&B skills just with a sword equipped and now you can't? If so, then I agree, dumb move. Let people drop the shield if they want.
    Options
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you.
    A Dragon's Tear has many mystical qualities...
    dragontears.boards.net
    Options
  • Chrysolis
    Chrysolis
    ✭✭✭
    I would support this, and frankly I'm surprised at the number of people dissenting. What would it really detract from the game? It's an easy way to add variation, flavor, and a new skill line without majorly changing the rules (such as adding a new weapon type).

With a single-sword skill line, the freedom of one hand could do any number of things. Typically in cinema this includes brawling, but you could go so far as to even give the line an ability that can pull enemies (like the DK chains). Use your imagination and don't criticize everything you don't want to personally take part in when it isn't going to harm your game play experience in any way, I'd say.
    Options
  • wizzerd_lg_ESO
    I'm with the OP. There should be a skill line for single one-handed weapon use. It should emphasize speed, grace, and balance. Less block, more dodge. All these folks saying that "there's no benefit to fighting with the off hand empty" clearly learned everything they know about fighting from Mando NPCs in SWTOR.

Also, we really need an unarmed combat line as well. Fast hits, relatively light damage, and a variety of dodges and status effects.

In either case, I'd love to see a disarm effect that unequips the enemy's equipped weapon, maybe as an ultimate.
    Options
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with OP. I don't see much NPC carry shields. They must have a skill line even if it sucks.
    People keep telling me they're gonna buy me an ale. They never do.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

Help make this compilation complete!
    Compilation of Ideas and Suggestions
    Options
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    I would totally support an unarmed skill line also. Im not making my kajiit monk until then ;-)
    Edited by Rastafariel on February 23, 2016 7:34PM
    dragontears.boards.net
    Options
  • Razyll
    Razyll
    Soul Shriven
    I also noticed that the skills no longer work with equipping just one weapon. I immediately became sad. I hope they at least plan on adding just One Handed Skill line in the future.
    That way I can play the way I would like. I prefer the idea of being graceful and having fine footwork, instead of morphing into turtle mode behind a shield.
    Options
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    That is basically what I have been talking about in this thread Razyll.
    dragontears.boards.net
    Options
  • Sieghart
    Sieghart
    I would love a single handed sword line.
    At the moment im just making a character using class skills and guild skills with a single sword just cause I like single sword styles.

And if there are people saying having one hand free limits you. Application wise it doesn't from someone who does train in bladed weapons outside of the game.

would love a proper skill line for it though.
    +1
    Options
  • Razyll
    Razyll
    Soul Shriven
    That is basically what I have been talking about in this thread Razyll.

I know, I'm just supporting your thread. =P
    Options
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) A fencing type of weapon skill line would not hurt imho, but holy hell would it take time to make.

2) There should be a real incentive to use a 2Handed weapon, because atm that tree line sucks, even if several million and I are a fan of it.

3) Sword and Shield can actually be used by DPS classes, but the weapon would literally be a CC tool, and all your damage would come from spells, which is pretty much how it is now.

4) Where in the hell are the Staves Nerf?

5) Puncturing Strikes gets "fixed" but get's it's cost raised, which is horse ***. Ok, one thing for Templars, but nothing else?

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Flaming]
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on June 2, 2014 4:28PM
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
    Options
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have S&B, dual wield, and 2 hand. They all seem to be working as intended.
    Options
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They suck for damage dude, totally makes stamina and weapon builds useless. S&B works as intended to me, no matter which way you want to use it, it gets the job done. 2H is supposed to be more CC/AoE, but it fails at both when compared to anything Magic Based or a Bow. Dual Wielding is stab stab stab, stab it again until dead, and that works amazingly well but still falls short when compared to staff or magic skills.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
    Options
  • jamie.goddenrwb17_ESO
    Perhaps when they add Spellcraft in an upcoming patch they'll add 1h/spell skill line?
    I can has typing!
    Options
  • Chatoyancy
    Chatoyancy
    ✭✭✭
    Agree -- if not an actual one-handed skill line, then at least allow sword and board to work again with just a sword.
    Options
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see a one-handed weapon style, which could easily include free hand grapples, pushes or spellcasting.

If you only equip a single weapon, you upgrade sword and board, but can't use the abilities. This could easily be fixed in my opinion.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
    Options
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please give us news of the true 1 handed skill line. I can name a few movies with heroes that use a sword & shield. I can name hundreds of movies with heroes that simply use a sword.
    I would not mind if they added it, but I don't think it should be high priority. It is somewhere along adding unarmed, Non-Sorc Pets and Additional Guilds like Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood.
    I am sure it will happen, at it's due time.

1h+Shield is right now the Tank Skill line (extra Armor plus debuffs plus taunt), with some useablity as support line.
    Something that borrows moves from styles like fencing would be nice.

Just not sure where it's place would be in the Weapon trees/stamina skills.
    2H is CC/knock/AoE focussed melee, with a medium variance based on weapon type choosen.
    Dual is scrapping strong and mobile melee, with a minor variance based on weapon type
    1h+S is Tank melee

What could be 1 handed's shtick? Single target CC heavy? Something that varies based on choosen weapon as heavy as destruction staff does?
    There are 3 Weapon lines that behave differently based on specific weapon choosen: Destro staff (most heavily affected), 2 Handed (mediocrily) and Dual (least strong affected).
    Elana Peterson (EU), Dominion, Imperial Sorc, Rune & Alchemy Crafting Char
    Leonida Peterson (EU), Daggerfall, Kajiit Nightblade, Tank & main Crafter
    Kurga Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Ork Dragonknight, Provision Mule
    Coldblood Peterson (EU) Argonian Templer, Daggerfall, Healer
    Incendia Peterson (EU), Dominion, Dunmer Dragonknight, fire DPS & healer
    Haldor Belendor (EU), Ebonhart, Breton Sorcerer, Tank
    Fuliminictus Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Altmer Sorcerer, Electric DPS

Me babbling about PvE roles and Armor, Short Guide to Addon Programming (for Programmers)

If you think anything I or somebody else said violates the Rules of this Forum, you are free to flag my posts. Till I get any notifcaion from this, I just asume you know you have no case against me or Zenimax disagrees with you.
    Options
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. You should be able to have the option of using 1 hand sword attacks without having to require a shield.

the 1 hand sword attacks with the shield arent very good to begin with.

So i say we should have dedicated attacks with just a 1 handed weapon that more damaging initially than attacks with a sword and shield.
    Options
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A new skill line would be nice. Focused on footwork (avoiding attacks) and swordsmanship.

A lunging strike, which closes the gap but doesn't quite have the range of the charge attacks, but pierces their armor.

A parry ability, which returns the next physical attack back onto the enemy.

A 'ghost step' ability, which slips you behind the enemy and disorients them, giving your next attack a significant damage increase.

An ability which converts your magicka into stamina and temporarily boosts your stamina regen while decreasing your magicka regen.

A disarm ability, which significantly reduces the opponents damage output for a short while.

And as an ultimate, we move can have the 'masters dance', which increases your movement speed, dodge rating, attack speed and basic attack damage but disables your special attacks, allowing you to zip around the battlefield striking from multiple angles at as many targets as you choose for a short period of time.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
    Options
  • xanikk999
    xanikk999
    ✭✭✭
    Rather than have a one hander and no offhand I would rather one handed+shield be more viable as a dps role.

Shields can be used offensively as well.
    Options
  • Marcusstratus
    Marcusstratus
    ✭✭✭
    - Marcusstratus's wife speaking -

I left a comment on another thread about this, but I'm going to again because this is something that really bugs me and I want to see it changed. Despite arguments about it being more realistic in real life to have something in your off-hand, this is a Fantasy Game after all. It doesn't make sense that you can't at least use one of the skills that Only uses your sword unless you also have a shield equipped. Let it be our choice whether we want to forgo the shield skills and just use the weapon related ones. Previously this skill line allowed more versatility, I don't see how limiting it in this way is an improvement. If the ability to create unique personalized characters is actually one of the aims of this game, making this change has gone against that.

Personally I care about how my character looks more than 'practicality', and though I know other's may not agree, I don't see how it hurt anything before the change was made. Those that wanted to use both sword and shield could do so, and those who didn't want a shield could still use a single sword/axe/hammer/dagger and feel satisfied with their character. I'd like to make a Sorcerer who also wields a sword - spell in one hand, sword in the other, benefiting from skills that cost both stamina and magicka, but now that would be pretty pointless (even if practically speaking you're still able to use your class spells despite what you've got in your hands, it just doesn't Look right). Carrying a shield has a more sturdy-defensive connotation which doesn't fit with some characters.

On a very practical note, it's not entirely clear at first why the class skills are constantly greyed out until you equip a shield. While there is a shield provided in the wailing prison, if you chose something else at first and then decided to try out a sword after looting one later on, you may not have a shield right away and not know that you truly need one. After purchasing the first skill and finding it never available, one may just give up and never discover why the 'bugged' skill isn't working, unless you happen upon a shield and equip it. Which is what happened to me, I had created a character who was at the time of the patch successfully just using a sword. When suddenly my skills were never available I was almost going to switch to two-handed, until I happened to receive a shield from a quest and decided to try it out. Then I realized what was going on and felt a bit cheated. This seems like a needless change.
    Edited by Marcusstratus on June 5, 2014 5:56AM
    Options
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the nice things about Skyrim was being able to wield a sword in one hand and a fireball in the other. A "fencing" skill line would be a good addition, as would an unarmed line for brawlers.
    Options
  • Kypho
    Kypho
    ✭✭✭✭
    crowfl56 wrote: »
    Sword and shield, to me is working the way its supposed to now.

Use sword for major damage, use shield, mainly to disrupt or interupt mob and some minor damage. That's how its supposed work :)

hahahahaha

you can lol but you should not do near the damage of dual wield or 2h, not even do same as bow. 1h with shield or not, is not DD. shield bash is not supposed to do major damage, good that they FIXED it.
    Options
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    xanikk999 wrote: »
    Rather than have a one hander and no offhand I would rather one handed+shield be more viable as a dps role.

Shields can be used offensively as well.
    1H+Shield is plain and simple the Melee Tank line:
    Debuffs, Cheaper Block/Skilluse, more mitigation, more Armor. It's the only Weapon skill with a defensive power and a taunt.
    It is just not supposed to be a offensive role. Maybe a support role (via debuffs), but even that can be tricky to use.

We need a way to tank that is avalible for all classes. And 1H+Shield fits that role perfectly.

Me babbling about PvE roles and Armor, Short Guide to Addon Programming (for Programmers)

If you think anything I or somebody else said violates the Rules of this Forum, you are free to flag my posts. Till I get any notifcaion from this, I just asume you know you have no case against me or Zenimax disagrees with you.
    Options
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    Im asking for a new 1 handed weapon dps line. Tank line is fine as is.
    Edited by Rastafariel on June 6, 2014 2:31AM
    dragontears.boards.net
    Options
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    Provided they add a 1 handed skill line, that is. Otherwise 1 handed & shield needs to allow for first 2 abilities to be used without a shield, as was in beta and at launch.
    dragontears.boards.net
    Options
  • OneForSorrow
    OneForSorrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, people want a finesse-based Errol Flynn skill line?

...I'd be okay with this.
    PC NA. Various alts, trying to find a main, I have no idea what I'm doing.
    Options
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    Zenimax just released the following comment:

Update 1.2.0 Patch notes:
    "One Hand and Shield

General:

All One Hand and Shield abilities now require you to have a one-handed weapon and a shield equipped in order to activate them."

Therefore, I join with many people to ask you - ZENIMAX I'm looking at you - to PLEASE provide us with a 1 handed swashbuckling style ASAP.

Please and thank you.
    dragontears.boards.net
    Options
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zenimax just released the following comment:

Update 1.2.0 Patch notes:
    "One Hand and Shield

General:

All One Hand and Shield abilities now require you to have a one-handed weapon and a shield equipped in order to activate them."

Therefore, I join with many people to ask you - ZENIMAX I'm looking at you - to PLEASE provide us with a 1 handed swashbuckling style ASAP.

Please and thank you.

Ironically, the word "swashbuckling" came from the noise made by striking one's sword on one's buckler. Which is a shield. Which would be a 1h/shield line.
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    We can all agree we want this. But ASAP is not the right choice of words.
    It will come at it's due time. They still have a lot of balancing and bug fixing to do. So I want it when it is ready, not before :)

Options