Maintenance for the week of June 17:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)

1 handed weapon style

Rastafariel
Rastafariel
✭✭✭
I sincerely hope a 1 handed weapon style is on the way, since they have forced people who used to be able to wield a 1 handed weapon and make use of the sword & board skill line to now be obsolete. I was a vocal critic of the fact that they did not have a 1 handed style in beta, but I let it pass and said hey, Ill take the hit to my ac for not using a shield, and I'll only use a few skills from the skill line. Now I have my swashbuckling sorcerer wielding a shield? No thanks.

Please give us news of the true 1 handed skill line. I can name a few movies with heroes that use a sword & shield. I can name hundreds of movies with heroes that simply use a sword.

What happened to playing my way?
A Dragon's Tear has many mystical qualities...
dragontears.boards.net
  • crowfl56
    crowfl56
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sword and shield, to me is working the way its supposed to now.

Use sword for major damage, use shield, mainly to disrupt or interupt mob and some minor damage. That's how its supposed work :)
    Options
  • SirJesto
    SirJesto
    ✭✭✭
    WAI.
    Options
  • skarvika
    skarvika
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to be sticking with dual wield but I support this.
    QQing is a full time job
    Options
  • PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭
    crowfl56 wrote: »

Use sword for major damage, use shield, mainly to disrupt or interupt mob and some minor damage. That's how its supposed work :)

How it is supposed to work? Where did you get that fact?
    Options
  • penguinlaraub17_ESO

Do you play S/B tank? Sword light attacks do like next to nothing for damage.
    Edited by penguinlaraub17_ESO on May 23, 2014 8:02PM
    Options
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭

hahahahaha
    Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I sincerely hope a 1 handed weapon style is on the way, since they have forced people who used to be able to wield a 1 handed weapon and make use of the sword & board skill line to now be obsolete. I was a vocal critic of the fact that they did not have a 1 handed style in beta, but I let it pass and said hey, Ill take the hit to my ac for not using a shield, and I'll only use a few skills from the skill line. Now I have my swashbuckling sorcerer wielding a shield? No thanks.

Please give us news of the true 1 handed skill line. I can name a few movies with heroes that use a sword & shield. I can name hundreds of movies with heroes that simply use a sword.

What happened to playing my way?
    In this case it died years ago, just equip a shield and don't use it.
    As for there being Hundreds of Movies with one weapon and no shield, well those aren't realistic in that regard, a using another weapon or shield is always better in a fight.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The S&B is still the best weapon skill line in the game, Even if you are not using any of the actives the passives and the ability to block continuously beats anything the other skill lines have to offer.

Use shield for mitigation and use your class skills for damage.
    Edited by PBpsy on May 23, 2014 8:37PM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
    Options
  • Bloodvax
    Bloodvax
    ✭✭✭
    Really sucks you cant slam your face into the bash button over and over to kill things. Dear god you might actually have to use spells and abilities!!! OH NOOOOOO!!!!!
    ASYLUM-PVP
    Bloodvax- Vet Templar underpowered crafter
    Molly Mesita-OP NB
    Lizerd Wizard-Lowbie PVP toon
    AOC Big Deal Emperor of the Forum Trolls
    Options
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you're fencing (you know, where there are rules to combat), there is generally no advantage to having just one weapon in one hand when you could have a shield or weapon in your off-hand.
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PBpsy wrote: »
    The S&B is still the best weapon skill line in the game, Even if you are not using any of the actives the passives and the ability to block continuously beats anything the other skill lines have to offer.

I can block all day long with destro staff....shield gives less armor than the gloves my character is wearing...the passives suck since bash got nerfed...not sure what you're smoking.
    Options
  • ShintaiDK
    ShintaiDK
    ✭✭✭

That works for DK and perhaps NBs. But certainly not for templars.
    Options
  • penguinlaraub17_ESO

No idea what came you are playing but blocking is a joke now, so much damage still leaks through. On top of that blocking cost so much stamina it's almost worthless unless you are blocking only charged attacks, and you better have about 25% stam to block those other wise game over.
    Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ShintaiDK wrote: »

Works ok for my Templar.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Works ok for my Templar.

Complete reliance on class skills in the most magicka consumptive class in the game works ok for you?
    Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Works ok for my Templar.

Complete reliance on class skills in the most magicka consumptive class in the game works ok for you?
    Yes, Biting jabs then that fire ball ability, repeat the Biting jabs repeatedly, and when I need to whack them a few times with my weapon.

It's not perfect, but it works ok.
    Edited by AlexDougherty on May 23, 2014 8:51PM
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

No idea what came you are playing but blocking is a joke now, so much damage still leaks through. On top of that blocking cost so much stamina it's almost worthless unless you are blocking only charged attacks, and you better have about 25% stam to block those other wise game over.

That is because you are fighting bugged out mobs at the moment. They said it will be fixed soon.

I do agree that it may be a lot different for other classes. I play NB tank and the only real use for stamina in combat is blocking and since I use siphoning strikes i get a bit of stamina each time add the 5piece heavy bonus and all the S&B bonuses I rarely run out stamina if I add defensive posture it becomes funny.i only have 2 points in stamina and no enchants. I can go against packs of 8 in Craglorn and finish them my dots,aoe and ultimates.

For other classes try to use skill that give you regen amd stamina boosts if possible.Though yes I doubt anybody except DKs can match a NB with a shield.
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
    Options
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you're fencing (you know, where there are rules to combat), there is generally no advantage to having just one weapon in one hand when you could have a shield or weapon in your off-hand.
    In real life, actual dual wielding was extremely rare if it was used seriously at all. While a single sword wouldn't be used on the battlefield, at least it makes sense to be used in a spur-of-the-moment fight when one does.not have a shield on hand.

What they should do is make a 1H/Spell fighting style.
    Options
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In real life, actual dual wielding was extremely rare if it was used seriously at all. While a single sword wouldn't be used on the battlefield, at least it makes sense to be used in a spur-of-the-moment fight when one does.not have a shield on hand.

What they should do is make a 1H/Spell fighting style.

Fortunately for you, your character is never dumb enough to be caught without a shield/weapon in their other hand.

And we already have a 2h/spell fighting system, so why would anyone voluntarily take a worse option?
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In real life, actual dual wielding was extremely rare if it was used seriously at all.
    Two swords indeed were rare, or two full sized weapons of any type.

A sword being paired with a dagger however was not, it was rarer than a shield, but common enough to have been historically documented. Also the Celts were well known for using twinned long knifes (at least those the Romans encountered).

But yes, a one handed weapon was usually paired with a shield.
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭

Crow you totally missed my point. For RP reasons I want to ONLY use a sword. We now cannot do that.
    dragontears.boards.net
    Options
  • Capjack01
    Capjack01
    a pity we don't have rapiers. a main gauche in the other hand and whoosh....

swashbuckler!
    Options
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Crow you totally missed my point. For RP reasons I want to ONLY use a sword. We now cannot do that.

Oh, but you're mistaken.

You can do that. But you'll be RPing a very weak character. The same way that I can RP a pacifist, but I don't think any other players will want to group with me.
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • Emencie
    Emencie
    ✭✭✭✭

:|

Options
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot do that and use pierce or slash like I used to.

Realize Im not asking for stuff to mess with YOUR game. You play the way you want and I shall also. So Zenimax, either revert 1h & shiled or give me a 1 handed tree.

Thank you.
    dragontears.boards.net
    Options
  • Tendeep
    Tendeep
    ✭✭✭

Wait... what? Use sword for major damage? What major damage? All the one handed skills suck horribly and do very little dps...
    Options
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picture this for a one handed weapon style that isn't sword and board....

Picture 2 one handed weapons.

One in each hand.

How awesome would that be.
    Options
  • Stratti
    Stratti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zen made a clear adjustment to many abilities to make combat more meaningful, difficult and longer . Simple. I am a dk tank v3 who was better dps with main bash ability then dps . Godly in PVE only thing would kill me would be 5th add or no resources at pull.

I'm happy with the change balance is good
    Options
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭

Yes we can. Just don't equip the shield. You won't have many weapon moves that way (in fact not sure if S&B will even work with just the one handed weapon equipped) but you can still combine with class and guild spells for effectiveness. You won't be top of the line, but it will be quite doable.
    Options
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    Gaudrath wrote: »

Yes we can. Just don't equip the shield. You won't have many weapon moves that way (in fact not sure if S&B will even work with just the one handed weapon equipped) but you can still combine with class and guild spells for effectiveness. You won't be top of the line, but it will be quite doable.

Again my whole point is NOW after the patch, you cannot equip just a sword and have any abilities in the 1h & shield line.

Its like hearding cats in here.
    dragontears.boards.net
    Options