Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bad PC Crashes since the patch?

• KingGTO
    KingGTO
    Soul Shriven
    I posted yesterday, but may have found a fix for my frequent crash temporarily. I assume my crash is similar to Alive741's. I am of the opinion that the Crossfire SLI optimizations in the latest patch are the source of my issue.

***Disabling Crossfire (AMD SLI mode) seems to have reduced the frequency of occurrence***

I was crashing every 15 mins, and haven't for the last hour. The last official Catalyst driver update is from April, so my plan is to leave Crossfire off until there is a more recent official driver update/fix. Alternative might be to do a beta driver update, but I have avoided that.

Crash Info:
    gfx.description = 9.12.0.0
    gfx.deviceid = 26780.625086466.0
    gfx.driver = ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series
    gfx.vendorid = 4098

(Update: Released AMD Catalyst driver update 14.4 does not fix the issue.)
    (Update: Frequency changed from every 15 mins to every hour with Crossfire off, 5 times in a row).
    Edited by KingGTO on May 24, 2014 7:15AM
  • Airavis
    Airavis
    Same problem. I have crashed many times in last 2 days since patch. The month before that I only crashed about 3 times that I remember. The only problem I have had since launch is FPS lock up that lasts 2 seconds every 5 min or so in game.
  • Scowler
    Scowler
    ✭✭
    Bad crashes here, too. Two w/ bug reporters, a few disconnects while logging on/off. System was completely stable before patch.

ZOS: I don't appreciate having to pay a mothly subscription in order to be your bug reporter. FIX YOUR DOGGAMMED GAME.
  • crazygirlm85b14_ESO
    crazygirlm85b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I went from experiencing random logout with a rollback to black screen and sound and now it just locks my entire pc up and the only indication is npcs and pcs turn into pink wireframes. I have run the repair twice and re adjusted the graphic settings on my pc and in game neither seem to have had a dramatic effect on this glitch.
  • iaintoff
    iaintoff
    ✭✭✭
    alive741 wrote: »
    I've experienced crashes in the past, but normally it's just the windows message, and you restart ESO and it's fine.

In the last four hours of playing since downloading the patch, I've experienced 2 REALLY bad crashes. One made my entire screen go black, while the music was still playing - and I couldn't alt-f4 out either.

The other caused my PC to flash all of these weird extra large text boxes before ESO crashed. I don't know how else to describe it but my screen "exploded" - not literally - but all these strange things flashed, and then the game crashed.

Anyone else having strange crashes?

(As a side note, I have a great computer, which I built new for the game...)

Same
  • tiffy961
    tiffy961
    I have the same problem since the patch.
    Game laggs badly and sometimes freezes for 10 seconds.
    in all four sesions I have played I had such bad freezes and had to Alt+F4 out of the game which then led to my pc completely freezing as well. My eso.exe was still running and after five failed attempts to shut it down in task manager I had to turn my pc off (couldn't even normally shut it down).
    I have a good PC, recently updated and never had problems with ESO before.
    Please fix asap!
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There is a really bad memory leak guys. After 2 hours of playing my memory usage is over 25 gigs......that is why this is happening.
  • crevaini
    crevaini
    I havent had any freezes before the pach,but now i've had about 5 episodes of freezes where i actually have to restart my computer because my entire computer stops working.
  • DrywFiltiarn
    DrywFiltiarn
    ✭✭✭
    alive741 wrote: »
    I've experienced crashes in the past, but normally it's just the windows message, and you restart ESO and it's fine.

In the last four hours of playing since downloading the patch, I've experienced 2 REALLY bad crashes. One made my entire screen go black, while the music was still playing - and I couldn't alt-f4 out either.

The other caused my PC to flash all of these weird extra large text boxes before ESO crashed. I don't know how else to describe it but my screen "exploded" - not literally - but all these strange things flashed, and then the game crashed.

Anyone else having strange crashes?

(As a side note, I have a great computer, which I built new for the game...)

Have you played any other graphics intensive games beside ESO, and do they crash your system, or don't they pose any issues? After upgradig my system with a new R9 270x card, I had very odd crashes, which in the end turned out to be my powersupply not being able to supply the current the card needed for short moments, which resulted in instant restarts, blue screen and so on. A week later my powersupply failed entirely. I had a 500W one of a top brand in there, which should have been able to sustain my system, but for unexplained reason somehow could not. I now have it swapped for a new 650W one, and haven't seen a single crash anymore.
  • Neil046
    Neil046
    Soul Shriven
    Getting bsod's since update. Was fine before. NV4_disp.dll page_fault_in_nonpaged_area.
  • uncabewe
    uncabewe
    Wow !!! Glad to see it's not just me. I had never crashed or lagged until the patch.( Even in beta) Now it is not playable. Submitted at least 15 crash reports only to have my computer then crash. Had to do a hard reboot each time. I have run antivirus scans 4 times, the in game repair 5 times, deleted my cache several times, did a disk defrag and then an eraser type scan. I also did the "restore to an earlier time". I have a Dell Alienware that runs everything else like a "scalded dog". Folks........................ It ain't our computers. I forget the other measures I have taken to "fix it". I have looked forward to this game for years so I would hate to give up on it. If you see someone in game moving slow it is me. Just wave as you run past.
  • meaglemom
    meaglemom
    Soul Shriven
    man I thought is was just me I have been having killer lag and lock issues. did all the fixes too and nothing this is very much eso issue!
  • Shanna
    Shanna
    ✭✭✭
    My screen will freeze for a few seconds at a time, and the little blue 'error' circle will pop up...but then the game will just continue as normal (until the next time.) Just now, though, all of the npc's and part of the landscape turned all glowy and hot pink colored on me. Restarting the client.
    This is all part of the game.
  • ZodiackSign
    ZodiackSign
    ✭✭
    The same with exiting out with Program Manager here, crashes out, stays in process and cannot be killed until PC freezes...but its the only way to exit out, I have to plan where I'm going to port to because once I do virtually anything there I cannot port either by paying for quick port or wayshrines. In Craglorn was trying to destroy the worms and crawlers, calcinium and high iron white no trait armors (I won't even go into RvR) and items were "locked". Cannot loot many nodes after continued gameplay. Lost ability to switch from one guild bank to another...cannot use skill points. I have to log out in town and watch the system crash and restart PC, then log back in and do all of my business first. (being the guild All Craft Master this is even more annoying)...

C'mon guys, I even had to completely delete and reinstall the game after the patch. :(
  • Herzer
    Herzer
    Soul Shriven
    Any word at all on the crashing issue?
  • Atreidus
    Atreidus
    ✭✭✭
    Hi. Did you checked if this is the case at your problem?

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/101745/gpu-overheating-and-memory-leaks-in-the-same-patch

If yes:
    Please fill out the form that i made there and write what was happening.
    This is the only smart solution for now.
    Edited by Atreidus on May 25, 2014 12:20AM
  • Amaylia
    Amaylia
    ✭✭
    I am not sure about the causes for your crashes are, but my game crashes are happening due to the memory leak that currently exists in the game. It seems to revolve around the way that the game handles textures. As I am playing the, I have been leaving the task manager open to show the memory usage of the eso.exe process. It steadily climbs up to nearly 3.5GB which is the allocation limit for a 32-bit executable. As it approaches this limit, the game may show signs of being unable to load textures -- objects may appear purple and black instead of skinned with their usual texture. Upon reaching 3.5GB the game will crash. If you have a computer that does not have 3.5GB available for the game and all of your system services, you may experience BSOD or system crashes due to critical system services being out of memory for performing critical system tasks.

ZOS is aware of the memory leak and is working to fix the issue here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/102438/memory-leak-loading-screen-fix .

Edit: It is currently available for NA mega server users, but it should be available for European users soon too.
    Edited by Amaylia on May 25, 2014 12:47AM
  • Stav222
    Stav222
    Soul Shriven
    KingGTO wrote: »
    I posted yesterday, but may have found a fix for my frequent crash temporarily. I assume my crash is similar to Alive741's. I am of the opinion that the Crossfire SLI optimizations in the latest patch are the source of my issue.

***Disabling Crossfire (AMD SLI mode) seems to have reduced the frequency of occurrence***

I was crashing every 15 mins, and haven't for the last hour. The last official Catalyst driver update is from April, so my plan is to leave Crossfire off until there is a more recent official driver update/fix. Alternative might be to do a beta driver update, but I have avoided that.

Crash Info:
    gfx.description = 9.12.0.0
    gfx.deviceid = 26780.625086466.0
    gfx.driver = ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series
    gfx.vendorid = 4098

(Update: Released AMD Catalyst driver update 14.4 does not fix the issue.)
    (Update: Frequency changed from every 15 mins to every hour with Crossfire off, 5 times in a row).
    Scowler wrote: »
    Bad crashes here, too. Two w/ bug reporters, a few disconnects while logging on/off. System was completely stable before patch.

ZOS: I don't appreciate having to pay a mothly subscription in order to be your bug reporter. FIX YOUR DOGGAMMED GAME.

• Stav222
    Stav222
    Soul Shriven
    After patch Bad crashes also.Fix the game pls.
  • KingGTO
    KingGTO
    Soul Shriven
    Some hope...quick patch this afternoon may have made an impact. Turned Crossfire back on, and no crash for an hour so far in Fullscreen mode. I could set my clock by the crashes before, so this is good. Nothing mentioned in patch notes that I can see, but on the assumption it's fixed, thanks in advance to the graphics dev who came in on the weekend holiday to address the bug. I'll update this entry if I don't have a crash for three hours or more...

(Update: fixed for me)
    Edited by KingGTO on May 25, 2014 4:03AM
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I have been having a lot of hard crashes and lock ups since the patch. I hope this is gets fixed soon.
  • Amaylia
    Amaylia
    ✭✭
    If you are still having issues after the hotfix today (May 24th), please post here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/102438/memory-leak-loading-screen-fix . You are more likely to get a response.
  • uncabewe
    uncabewe
    Previously posted massive crashes and lag. Then changed (video settings) to fullscreen/windows. Played several hours without a hiccup.Not running slow no mo. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today's mini-patch fixed this issue for me, and also fixed the horrible lag. There are reports of the patch causing new issues for some other people though (unable to login etc).
    I second the thanks for the devs who fixed this. Suspect some people didn't get much sleep :)
  • Djursnerb16_ESO
    Djursnerb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I have this issue as well. My game just suddenly freezes, a few seconds pass by and I get a black screen followed by the ESO crash report. It completely drains my computer when it happens; I cannot alt f4 and some of the other running programs are affected for some seconds. It says that ESO is not responding in task manager. This has only happened eversince Craglorn came out.
  • Highlandr311
    Highlandr311
    Soul Shriven
    I bought the Game Last week and have not been able to get into the game now since installed and patched. I was able to play in beta but now not at all. Just login and get to loading screen the reboot... BAM .. restart. I haven't been able to creat a single character...... I hope this is fixed soon..... :(
  • smokesausage02
    smokesausage02
    Soul Shriven
    maybe not enough server to go around? Tired of tweeking giving up for now.
  • smokesausage02
    smokesausage02
    Soul Shriven
    just relised this is a post from 2014 duh
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings,

We have gone ahead and closed this thread down since it is rather old. Please feel free to start a new topic on this subject if you wish to discuss it further.

Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.