The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bad PC Crashes since the patch?

alive741
alive741
I've experienced crashes in the past, but normally it's just the windows message, and you restart ESO and it's fine.

In the last four hours of playing since downloading the patch, I've experienced 2 REALLY bad crashes. One made my entire screen go black, while the music was still playing - and I couldn't alt-f4 out either.

The other caused my PC to flash all of these weird extra large text boxes before ESO crashed. I don't know how else to describe it but my screen "exploded" - not literally - but all these strange things flashed, and then the game crashed.

Anyone else having strange crashes?

(As a side note, I have a great computer, which I built new for the game...)
Edited by alive741 on May 23, 2014 12:18AM
  • Brittany_Joy
    Brittany_Joy
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am having weird problems since the patch to like my internet randomly disconnecting and when I launch ESO it will actually freeze my computer sometimes. I had 3 computer freezes since the patch.
  • cygnus_royb14_ESO
    cygnus_royb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Yes, I am experiencing crashes since the patch. Prior to the patch as well as all through beta, I never crashed a single time--play time was well over a hundred hours without an issue.
  • edu.journeymanub17_ESO
    With each patch, since 1.0.7, the game turns more and more unstable for me.

Until yesterday (before the last patch) I had to quit and log again after 30-40 minutes playing because screen lag (memory leak etc) could escalate to a complete freeze/crash if I don't quit the game - Note that this was not happening prior to patch 1.0.7 and I could play for hours without any problem.

Today, after the new patch, I can barely log and the freeze/screen lag start at the very 1st minute, I tried changing the video settings but the game crashed on my attempts.

• tilolyen_ESO
    tilolyen_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    After the latest patch....my computer is running the game like crap. I have taken a 50% FPS loss and the game is choppy as hell, and before anybody asks......"NO" I have not installed anything since last night or changed settings.
  • nuclear808
    same here...experiencing crazy lag spikes and frame drops. My wife can't log into her account either. keeps saying error timed out. We thought it could have been a bad install so we repaired her client on her pc but still nothing. So decided to log into her account from my pc with my client and same thing.

I on the other hand, can log into my character just fine. The problem I am getting is really bad lag spikes and choppy game play.
  • Amaylia
    Amaylia
    ✭✭
    I am also experiencing crashes. I just disabled all of my addons and will see if it continues. I am sending crash reports with the reporter tool.

I also noticed that the patch changed one of my video settings from "Windowed (Fullscren)" to "Fullscreen". I changed it back though.
  • leilani96792
    leilani96792
    ✭✭
    I was logged on earlier and had very bad lag. Went to disable add on to see if that would help but the game froze up and I couldn't alt f4 out so I had to restart my computer. Since then I cant log back in. I either get error 301 or login timed out.
  • edu.journeymanub17_ESO
    It's even worst:

If you try to stop the game with the task manager after a crash/freeze it will BUT, when you look your PROCESS tab in the Task Manager, there will be an eso.exe32 (or whatever is called) running there taking 2-3GB of memory! Yeah, the process don't stop.

Unplayable, at least for me, unfortunately.
  • Amaylia
    Amaylia
    ✭✭
    I was logged on earlier and had very bad lag. Went to disable add on to see if that would help but the game froze up and I couldn't alt f4 out so I had to restart my computer. Since then I cant log back in. I either get error 301 or login timed out.

@leilani96792‌

The addons should be disabled by default with this patch since they will likely be made for api version 100003 and the new api is version 100004. So unless you have checked the "Load out of date Add ons" option previously, they should all be automatically disabled.

If you need to check on this, with Windows, go to your My Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/Live/AddOnSettings.txt file and see if "LoadOutOfDateAddOns" is set to 1 or 0. If it is set to 0 then they should be disabled.

To be certain, you could rename the Addons folder to something else and try to start the game again. If that doesn't work, maybe try renaming your UserSettings.txt file to something else so that it reloads the defaults as well?
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just chiming in to say that I am getting a lot of crashing and performance issues since the patch. All addons are off.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• SlayerSyrena
    SlayerSyrena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same. Entire screen goes black. Can't even exit the game to get to my desktop. Had to manually shut down the PC twice.
    Ebonheart Pact
    All PC/NA, Level 50 * Current Champion Points: 930
    Cyndril - Bosmer Vampire Nightblade - Dual Wield Blades and Bow
    Saryn Duskbringer - Altmer Vampire Sorcerer - Destro and Resto Staves
    Valmion Hlaalu - Dunmer Templar Healer - Resto and Destroy Staves
    Solus Lighthawke - Altmer DK Tank- Sword n' Board and Greatsword
    Stitches-for-Riches - Argonian Templar Healer- Resto
    Ashiran Zahuluu - Dunmer Stam Sorc - Dual Wield Blades and Bow
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Kivian Nightshade - Altmer Magicka NB - Destro/Resto Staves
    Daggerfall Covenant
    S'rala Sugar Claws - Khajiit Stamina Sorc - Dual Wield and Greatsword

Member of the closed early beta group, The Psijic Order
    Guest on first ESO Live
    My ESO fan art and comics
  • theweakminded
    theweakminded
    ✭✭✭
    Have not had crashes, but it takes 3-5seconds to alt tab in full screen (used to be instant).
  • KingGTO
    KingGTO
    Soul Shriven
    Same exact crashing experience with patch 1.1.2 as described by alive741, though the frequency is worse . Logs uploaded. Previously had very reliable experience over a long time. Playing on high end PC at high graphics settings, no settings changes since prior to patch at this time. (Changing to Windowed Fullscreen from my default Fullscreen had no effect) (This is a Crossfire enabled graphics PC, ref: patch notes on "optimizations")
    Edited by KingGTO on May 23, 2014 1:38PM
  • Felmaul
    Felmaul
    Soul Shriven
    I've had one really bad crash so far. I went to talk to an NPC and my computer instantly and completely shut down....

So far it's only happened the once, but I haven't seen software do that to this machine in a long time. It's probably the graphical update they've made.
  • aleister
    aleister
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same here. A couple of crashes and one hard-lock of my entire PC requiring a power cycle. Never experienced crashes with the game before.
  • theyamisnamedpam
    theyamisnamedpam
    Soul Shriven
    i've had to manually shut down my computer twice in the last hour due to really bad freezing/crashing
    it was working fine before the patch
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen the black screen with sound crash a few times since launch. It's usually display driver's crashing when I've seen this type of crash. I've not had any problems using ALT + F4 when this happens though, and as I said, it did it before the patch.
  • Hyain
    Hyain
    Same here. Never really crashed before but crashed four times now in about two hours of play, and two of those locked the entire system. No addons running. Usually happens after I have been in combat for a while sucessively ie a dark anchor.

Something causing the eso process to use a huuuuuuuge amount of memory.
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Change your video mode in settings back to windowed fullscreen. It defaults to the new "true" fullscreen after the patch which may be the source of these issues.
  • Ottoaderu
    Ottoaderu
    Soul Shriven
    My wife's computer is experienccing the same thing. She has 6gb RAM. Unfortunately, I was not able to get her Task Manager up to see if ESO was taking up 2-3GB. It locked her sustem up pretty bad.

However, we are both getting something additionally weird. We both get kicked to the Character selection screen. When we log back in, we have lost some game progress.
  • Ottoaderu
    Ottoaderu
    Soul Shriven
    I just looked at my ESO (from task manager) it is currently sitting at 3GB and is going up 250k every second. My system has 24GB, which may be why mine doesn't take a dump like her computer does hehe.
    Edited by Ottoaderu on May 23, 2014 9:32PM
  • charley222
    charley222
    ✭✭✭✭
    dc crash freezing
    the wall of the covenant
  • Reenlister
    Reenlister
    ✭✭✭
    Same here, completely freezing, and when running its so choppy it is unplayable.
    When I went to exit everything locked up.
    And yes, I have reset my windows screen option and the addons were disabled at the time. The only one I have anyway is the Tamriel Foundry Tactical Combat.
  • Amaylia
    Amaylia
    ✭✭
    Turning off my addons didn't seem to help either. There is a good list of issues people are now experiencing here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/97595/in-progress-known-issues/p8 .
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Change your video mode to Windowed Fullscreen in video settings!!!
  • Reenlister
    Reenlister
    ✭✭✭
    Dominoid wrote: »
    Change your video mode to Windowed Fullscreen in video settings!!!

Yeah, you have said this. Although it is helpful advice, it does nothing to fix this problem, or I should say, for the majority of people right now..

• Ezmaralda
    Ezmaralda
    ✭✭
    Same thing happened to me. I was afk for a few minutes and when i came back the screen was black and there was some background sound. I had to bring up task manager to get to desktop and then the error report appeared.
  • Ruckus
    Ruckus
    Soul Shriven
    I've never had a lot of bugs, but since the patch its been almost unplayable.
  • jonpaul
    jonpaul
    ✭✭✭
    Just to chime in here. Getting freezing issues on my end as well. FPS is fine but I will freeze up for 2-4 seconds frequently now as well. It wasn't an issue before patch.
    WAR EAGLE
    I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments. -Jim Morrison
  • skylermeanyub17_ESO
    skylermeanyub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I have also been getting bad crashes since the patch today. The first caused my computer to freeze for about 5 minutes. The second crash was so bad I had to do a Hard Restart manually to get out of a freeze after waiting close to 20 minutes. I hope they can figure this problem out soon. My computer already has some problems and I don't need to be doing hard resets to it, thats not good for it.
This discussion has been closed.