Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The horrendous Arcanist effects....

• Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tested some of the dps and healing skills on the PTS, I wanted to see how distracting the animations would be. I play with the settings on low, so the colours and the effects weren't as vivid, so that's good news for people with sensitive eyes, but I think some of them would benefit from getting toned down, especially the healing disk, and the beam. The passive floating crux too, and I think these will be even harder on the eyes when multiple arcanists are in a group. What bothered me most though was aesthetic considerations aside, the skill visuals felt out of place. We'll get used to them in time for sure, but it felt they were part of a different game.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tessitura wrote: »
    NeKryXe wrote: »
    Tessitura wrote: »
    I don't understand this post at all.
    Skyrim has some of the loudest spells I've heard in gaming. There are already a bunch of "dumb" laser beams in ESO. And there are already a ton of equally flashy abilities for players and enemies in the game.

Maybe it due to most shots of the new class are shown in the purpled hued landscape where the green stands out a bit more?

Really!? You are trying to compare Skyrim with this arcade Tron visual trash? Even the sound effects of Skyrim were way ahead of this ridiculous thing. Skyrim was perfect. I didn't even try to mention any previous game because all of them was better than this. I'm more worried about the future of Elder Scrolls. Maybe this is the new way, for the new audiences. Visual trash, lot's of nonsense noise... But if it is then the Elder Scrolls is over for. Everything has an end, I'll have to accept, but please don't compare this with the impressive visuals and sound design of Skyrim.

Yeah why wouldnt he though? Skyrim had super bright and visually loud spells. Morrowind even more so. Some of those spells literally blew up whole dungeons and covered the screen. I can prove it too.

91ecachicapc.jpg

6fomr2eoju4r.jpg

xtu6gxz90192.jpg

Those look pretty cool right? As you can see, it's just as bloom laced and bright as what you are complaining about and even noisier really. This is a weirdly biased take. It's okay not to like the way something looks, but it's honestly par for the course visually. At least it's not a stupid tombstone that pops up out of the ground all cartoon style.

What's your point? I don't see laser beams, flying triangles or patethic bright tribal tattoos on the floor. Those images shows only bright organic light effects, nothing like the visual trash extremely bad designed of the Arcanist. Also, you are comparing a single player game and effects that you decide yourself when to see to a MMO that will be flooded with dumb lights every time you'll be in a group with another player using that crap. Even soloing in PVE you'll bee seeing flying green triangles and green laser beams everywhere. You'll not be able to control that visual trash.

My point was made pretty concisely. I don't know what to tell you other then you are way too upset about a video game. I guess this conversation is over. I am not going to respond anymore.

But it wasn't, like I explained. Also, it's perfectly legitimate for anyone dealing with some level of photosensitivity to be upset about a video game in which years and thousands of euros have been invested. Why are you so surprised? This is a massive change in game visuals. It's like forcing us now into a trashy arcade game that we never asked. And it'll be forced on the whole game, it's not something you can avoid by skiping the new update.

Edited by NeKryXe on 20 April 2023 06:28
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    🤮 fluorescent colors just look cheap to me, ive also seen damage is terrible. On the positive side great to have another crafting alt on the way 😀
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok... from someone on the outside looking in but have watched numerous videos... for the most part the visuals look cool, although they could use some decrease in brightness for sure. It would be nice to have the 'crux' revolving triangles toned down because depending on how close your have your camera, can be VERY distracting. I think reducing the 'band' brightness while keeping the triangles themselves bright would be less distracting.

At first I didn't think I would want to play this class, but after seeing more videos, I'm actually looking forward to it. However, I'm not happy that they don't have a DPS healing skill, thereby almost forcing solo players to drop Oakensoul for Pale Order -OR- replace a DPS/Utility skill with a healing skill. This may have been their rational for no DPS healing skill, to move players away from Oakensoul. Not sure.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just saw this image on the official Elder Scrolls Page on facebook:

bknfjazhjlqc.jpg

Is this true? Did they really reduced the excessive and hideous green lights on this one? This looks way way better and much less intrusive with black lines on floor and the green light less intensive. Really much better. So is this for real or are they faking this on ads to make it look better than it really is?

The last time I saw it looked like this horrible thing:

glzqovll4b2b.jpg

I really hope they fixed and that this is not just false advertisement.

Edited by NeKryXe on 18 May 2023 16:36
  • Tessitura
    Tessitura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just saw this image on the official Elder Scrolls Page on facebook:

bknfjazhjlqc.jpg

Is this true? Did they really reduced the excessive and hideous green lights on this one? This looks way way better and much less intrusive with black lines on floor and the green light less intensive. Really much better. So is this for real or are they faking this on ads to make it look better than it really is?

The last time I saw it looked like this horrible thing:

glzqovll4b2b.jpg

I really hope they fixed and that this is not just false advertisement.

Nope, thats just the group morph that lets others go through the portal. The other is still green. They both look fine to me though.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    I tested some of the dps and healing skills on the PTS, I wanted to see how distracting the animations would be. I play with the settings on low, so the colours and the effects weren't as vivid, so that's good news for people with sensitive eyes, but I think some of them would benefit from getting toned down, especially the healing disk, and the beam. The passive floating crux too, and I think these will be even harder on the eyes when multiple arcanists are in a group. What bothered me most though was aesthetic considerations aside, the skill visuals felt out of place. We'll get used to them in time for sure, but it felt they were part of a different game.

Wait -- are you saying we have to look at OTHER people's orbiting triangles??? Ugh. They make me motion-sick when I try playing arcanist myself. I should be OK with other people playing arcanists, but still ... ugh.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone built an Arcanist wearing Ebon Armory, Worm’s Rainment, and Slimcraw?

How long were you able to watch it?
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Quethrosar wrote: »
    Oh you are running arcanist? Vote to kick. I see it coming

People survived the Prior Therric weapon flash and boom despite the number of threads on the forum at the time and they'll survive the Arcanist just fine.
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I got on PTS the day it got live, I checked few new cosmetics, saw 20 people around the wayshrine spammin arcanist skills, logged off.
    It feeled out of place.Glad I didn't buy this expansion.

The problem isn't if you bought it or not. The problem is that your screen will be flooded with the Arcanist visual trash even if you didn't buy the update. es.

One can say the same thing about the sorc flappy bird blocking your vision in dungeons and trials during normal play and especially during group stacks. I see no harm in ZoS allowing us to turn off other player effects but so far they haven't had the will to do so because they've been too busy ignoring templar, and necro while buffing DK.
  • Lena_HJ
    Lena_HJ
    ✭✭✭
    0ua33vilm3sz.png

This one I actually like, mostly for practical reasons. Stay close to your healer or no Yolna for you.
    Orc Elf == Best Elf :]
  • miteba
    miteba
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't played the arcanist yet so my opinion is based on what was released on Youtube, therefore it can be completely different ingame, but my first impressions:

- Overall it seems that some skills are waaaaay too flashy/arcade for my taste, and the problem is that even if i don't want to play that class for that reason, i will have to endure others using it.

- The runeblade beam effect is terrible flashy, seems to block our vision and that black rectangle seems too big and "ugly as hell", a very poor design.

- The Eye ultimate (flashy Beam) is too close to the players head and the skill itself seems disperse, it breaks our focus

+ I loved tomb-bearer effect, armor, shield and buffs effects
    + I really like the fatecarver effect (spammable) but it's not that original (games like prototype, the darkness, etc)
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was really looking forward to playing an Arcanist. I even purchased Earthtear Cavern for my character to live in and study their skills. But after watching some YouTubes of them in combat it's not going to happen.

The bright neon green everything and the triangles constantly circling around are huge deal breakers. I really hope they tune these effects wayyyyyyyyyy down because I can't play this class and I don't want to be subjected to these effects from others, either.
    Edited by SilverBride on 22 May 2023 01:40
    PCNA
  • loveeso
    loveeso
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pr0Skygon wrote: »
    I just watched a bunch of videos of the Arcanist on PTS and feels like it's the dumbest thing ever created in Elder Scrolls universe. How could this happen? Will Elder Scrolls VI be infested with laser beams too? What's happening to Elder Scrolls?

It's so disappointing, so intrusive, so horrendous, so noisy, that I'm starting to lose interest in this next chapter. I've seen all skills already and it's all excessive, it all looks like an arcade game. They should at least give us some skills more discreet with no dumb green lasers, so we have different choices.

What can we expect at this point? Is there still any chance to see those dumb green lights removed on the final release?

Just watch this example: https://youtu.be/W61Q7uYcc-o Looks like Tron on acids.

ngl, this looks sick af. I'll probably main this class for a while.

Maybe it's just me then. I never enjoyed this kind of arcade game effects and I wasn't expecting to see this on an Elder Scrolls game. This game is definitely changing and I'm much more into RPG and adventure. I enjoy some action but not with all this noise. Not at all. I never would have started playing this if I saw this whole bunch of noise and laser effects 9 years ago.

I'm afraid that this game will hardly recover from this update 38. This is too much out place.

It's not just you. I 100% agree. Even wrote about it some time ago in this forum. Here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/631760/thoughts-of-a-random-guy-on-necrom-changes-to-ha-heavy-attack-builds-on-arcanist/p1
    MMOs: ESO (PS & PC), GW2 (😍) & Souls/Elden (😍)
  • Liguar
    Liguar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just logged in to do my writs, and there's already players idling in town with bright orbiting crux visible a mile away. Why does crux need to be so bright, and rotating, when the player is standing doing nothing?

It's like the need to make the new class super visible is more important than players who have expressed discomfort at those kinds of special effects. Beyond the fact that it's not a class I can/want to play, or avoiding the new chapter zones, it's pretty disappointing that I just can't get away from other player's effects in town.
  • Liguar
    Liguar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trejgon wrote: »
    considering floppy bird daedra being super prevalent everywere for last months and is way more obtrusive than crux....
    [Snip], it's just makr me ponder how did you survive the bird..

[Snip]

The bird is very annoying (I have whinged about them plenty in the past) and I have wished that there were more good alternatives for sorcs so that there would be fewer around. I generally avoid other people because the bird will also trigger headaches. But it's not worse than crux, they're both really good at triggering an unplayable status for me. I guess having both at the same time, outside the stables, really set me off.

It's okay, I'll probably just take a break and come back when the 2 player dungeon thing comes out and see if it's feasible to do business in town without getting a massive headache. It gives me a chance to try other stuff in the library, which is not all bad.

[Edited for removed content]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on 7 June 2023 16:38
  • evan302
    evan302
    ✭✭✭
    Last night, I was playing my baby NB and Kenarthi's Roost was just a sea of little green triangles in constant motion around other players. They are so bright; it's really distracting.
    I have made an Arcanist but haven't put him through the tutorial yet and I may just delete him. It might be a fun class to play and I was looking forward to trying it but the effects are really hard on the eyes. I don't think I could look at that for hours on end.

The options to turn off your own and/or other players' effects or simply limit them to essential group skills would be a huge QoL improvement and one I'd like to see introduced. That way, people who like flashy effects would be able to enjoy them in all their luminous glory without affecting anyone else.

We already had the flapping bird to deal with and despite complaints nothing has been done, now they've added this. It might sound extreme, but for me, these effects make the game a lot less fun to play.

• DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    seems legit to me B)

mars-attacks-alien.gif
    PC EU
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I was really looking forward to the release of the new class for half a year, didn't try it on the PTS, but waited until yesterday. What a disappointment! Why can't those damn spinning crux triangles disappear after 1 minute of combat or have their visibility turned off? It drives me crazy just walking around somewhere with these glaring triangles constantly circulating around me in 1st person view. It's not only immersion breaking when people walk around the cities like that, it makes you dizzy.
    I really want to play my brand new char and the arcanist, but not like that...
    s3xd01gox2w4.jpg
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Liguar wrote: »
    The devs made a choice to force this visual effect on everyone, whether we play the class or not.
    My daughter, who loves classic fantasy and fantasy games, tells me:
    "ESO does not look like CLASSIC FANTASY anymore. It looks more like STEAMPUNK."
    People who love the medieval setting in ESO now feel like UFOs have landed.... This nails it:
    mars-attacks-alien.gif

Edited by BalticBlues on 7 June 2023 06:56
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liguar wrote: »
    The devs made a choice to force this visual effect on everyone, whether we play the class or not.
    My daughter, who loves classic fantasy and fantasy games, tells me:
    "ESO does not look like CLASSIC FANTASY anymore. It looks more like STEAMPUNK."

This pretty much sums it up.

What I was reminded of was children's cartoons where everything is bright and flashy and loud to keep their attention. As an adult I prefer a more "realistic" environment.
    PCNA
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings,

We've had to remove a few non-constructive and bashing comments. This is a friendly reminder that comments need to adhere to our Forum Rules. Please note that derailing a thread with off-topic or bashing comments will result in the thread being closed.

Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.