The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

The horrendous Arcanist effects....

• Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I actually love how flashy it is! It may be because bright green is one of my favorite collor pallette tough...
  • Morvan
    Morvan
    ✭✭✭
    I love the effects tbh, gives me nostalgic vibes from apocrypha
  • Tessitura
    Tessitura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks pretty good to me, and I am on the pts playing one. No trouble following whats going on at all. It feels like poeple are massively over reacting and making wild claims because they don't like the aesthetic. Half the effects dim themselves too when another player casts them, so some people are just straight up lying about it as well. Which is a shame cause this is maybe the best animation and spell effects I have seen from them ever. Crisp, smooth, and stylish.

Honestly if you dont like the way it looks, don't play it. Spells usually are flashy. I don't remember anyone saying the spells in Elden Ring looked ugly and they were way flashier and far more color coded.
  • Mrfroggy
    Mrfroggy
    I feel like I was in the minority that wanted to see more eldritch and tentacle-y spell effects because I really enjoy lovecraftian aesthetics. That being said I think the spells look great and honestly am confused as to why people are saying they don't like how they look
  • Mr_Jord_Joe
    Mr_Jord_Joe
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it, from the animations of the character launching the skills, and the effects and animations of the skills themselves, the only negative point was the strong color and execive brightness in some skills for those who have monitors with higher saturation, I use shader, so no It bothers me a lot, but I think that some people who don't have it must have some visual discomfort, but i really love the class!
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand this post at all.
    Skyrim has some of the loudest spells I've heard in gaming. There are already a bunch of "dumb" laser beams in ESO. And there are already a ton of equally flashy abilities for players and enemies in the game.

Maybe it due to most shots of the new class are shown in the purpled hued landscape where the green stands out a bit more?

Really!? [Snip]? Even the sound effects of Skyrim were way ahead [Snip]. Skyrim was perfect. I didn't even try to mention any previous game because all of them were better than this. I'm more worried about the future of Elder Scrolls. Maybe this is the new way, for the new audiences. [Snip] lot's of nonsense noise... But if it is then the Elder Scrolls is over for me. Everything has an end, I'll have to accept, but please don't compare this with the impressive visuals and sound design of Skyrim.

[Edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on 7 June 2023 16:42
  • Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're all being way too dramatic. The effects are fine. Sure, they are deviation from the aesthetics of the more grounded TES mainline games (Which is a very big topic, and one worth debating, but not here and now), but compared to the rest of ESO as it is today, they work fine.

I do agree that the particle brightness and density is a bit too much. I think it would even benefit having the brightness and density lowered, to make the glyphs and letters stand out even more.

As it is right now, I feel the glyphs and shapes are obscured too much by the excessive bloom and background glow.
    "According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    The green is so bright and the sharp triangle shapes do look odd. Overall I dislike the colors and it doesn’t feel very Elder scrolls. The black tentacle stuff is okay.

Hopefully they can add an option in the menu to dim other players green effects.

The tentacle is the only thing ok. And the triangles are so pathetic. LOL.

What we really need is an option to completely remove all the green laser effect.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha, so many lasers. I love it. It's an alien-illuminati light show. :warning:
  • Tessitura
    Tessitura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeKryXe wrote: »
    Skyrim has some of the loudest spells I've heard in gaming. There are already a bunch of "dumb" laser beams in ESO. And there are already a ton of equally flashy abilities for players and enemies in the game.

Maybe it due to most shots of the new class are shown in the purpled hued landscape where the green stands out a bit more?

Really!? You are trying to compare Skyrim with this arcade Tron visual trash? Even the sound effects of Skyrim were way ahead of this ridiculous thing. Skyrim was perfect. I didn't even try to mention any previous game because all of them was better than this. I'm more worried about the future of Elder Scrolls. Maybe this is the new way, for the new audiences. Visual trash, lot's of nonsense noise... But if it is then the Elder Scrolls is over for. Everything has an end, I'll have to accept, but please don't compare this with the impressive visuals and sound design of Skyrim.

Yeah why wouldnt he though? Skyrim had super bright and visually loud spells. Morrowind even more so. Some of those spells literally blew up whole dungeons and covered the screen. I can prove it too.

91ecachicapc.jpg

6fomr2eoju4r.jpg

xtu6gxz90192.jpg

Those look pretty cool right? As you can see, it's just as bloom laced and bright as what you are complaining about and even noisier really. This is a weirdly biased take. It's okay not to like the way something looks, but it's honestly par for the course visually. At least it's not a stupid tombstone that pops up out of the ground all cartoon style.

• NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tessitura wrote: »

Really!? You are trying to compare Skyrim with this arcade Tron visual trash? Even the sound effects of Skyrim were way ahead of this ridiculous thing. Skyrim was perfect. I didn't even try to mention any previous game because all of them was better than this. I'm more worried about the future of Elder Scrolls. Maybe this is the new way, for the new audiences. Visual trash, lot's of nonsense noise... But if it is then the Elder Scrolls is over for. Everything has an end, I'll have to accept, but please don't compare this with the impressive visuals and sound design of Skyrim.

Yeah why wouldnt he though? Skyrim had super bright and visually loud spells. Morrowind even more so. Some of those spells literally blew up whole dungeons and covered the screen. I can prove it too.

91ecachicapc.jpg

6fomr2eoju4r.jpg

xtu6gxz90192.jpg

Those look pretty cool right? As you can see, it's just as bloom laced and bright as what you are complaining about and even noisier really. This is a weirdly biased take. It's okay not to like the way something looks, but it's honestly par for the course visually. At least it's not a stupid tombstone that pops up out of the ground all cartoon style.

What's your point? I don't see laser beams, flying triangles or patethic bright tribal tattoos on the floor. The images you share shows only bright organic light effects, nothing like the [Snip] Arcanist. Also, you are comparing a single player game and effects that you decide yourself when to see to a MMO that will be flooded with [Snip] lights every time you'll be in a group with another player using that [Snip]. Even soloing in PVE you'll be seeing flying green triangles and green laser beams everywhere. You'll not be able to control that visual [Snip].

Note that it'll be ok if we get an option to completely disable those effects at our end.

[Edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on 7 June 2023 16:44
  • Tessitura
    Tessitura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fix should be to add UI toggle to dissable other arcanists visual FX.

I still need to test it myself but it does seem a bit OTT from vids and screens

Actually the game already does that for you in a way. It dims some of the brighter effect on other players. Not all of them get this but I think the worst of them do.

yhglldgarc6n.png
  • Jessythesavage
    I just watched a bunch of videos of the Arcanist on PTS and feels like it's the dumbest thing ever created in Elder Scrolls universe. How could this happen? Will Elder Scrolls VI be infested with laser beams too? What's happening to Elder Scrolls?

It's so disappointing, so intrusive, so horrendous, so noisy, that I'm starting to lose interest in this next chapter. I've seen all skills already and it's all excessive, it all looks like an arcade game. They should at least give us some skills more discreet with no dumb green lasers, so we have different choices.

What can we expect at this point? Is there still any chance to see those dumb green lights removed on the final release?

Just watch this example: https://youtu.be/W61Q7uYcc-o Looks like Tron on acids.

I swear everybody just complain and cry about everything. They did a really good job with the class and love the animation
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay so you don't like the visuals. That's okay, it's aesthetic doesn't have to fit your taste. It's not for you. But it looks like you are going to have to deal with it. I for one welcome our new Neon green runemagic, tentacle slapping, squish noise making overlords.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • Dovahkiin02191973
    Dovahkiin02191973
    ✭✭✭
    Setting everything aside. The visuals have the potential to create a serious issue with photosensitive people. Moving lights like this can cause some people to have an epileptic seizure even if they don't have epilepsy or never had a seizure of any kind before. I am pretty photosensitive to the point where I can't play this game using an Arcanist and must get away from the dueling Arcanists when I come across them quickly as all the green causes me to fuzz out and have double vision and when that happens I have to stop playing for a good while to get back to normal. Yes, I have corrective lenses but they do nothing for this. It is just how my eyes react to light. I don't have the seizure issue but having to stop for hours to get my vision back to normal totally blows. I am not complaining. I am sending a message to folks who might have this issue or something similar to get out of the Arcanists' way as the rest of Necrom is pretty cool.
  • Quethrosar
    Quethrosar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh you are running arcanist? Vote to kick. I see it coming
  • Dovahkiin02191973
    Dovahkiin02191973
    ✭✭✭
    I ran an Arcanist on my first test like most people did but quickly realized it wasn't going to work the first time I cast an Arcanist ability and got the Green Triangles and just up the road to Necrom is where all the Arcanists are dueling so I go around them to avoid the all the Green. I am a solo player so therefore have no interest in dueling, playing with groups etc. There is plenty to do in the game Solo. So what do we do about all this. An easy solution would be for the Devs to make it so you can hide the visuals if you would like to. That is what I hope to see and vote for.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quethrosar wrote: »
    Oh you are running arcanist? Vote to kick. I see it coming

I don't think it will be fair to players who like this class and I hope that never happens. But I'm obviously willing to leave any group with an Arcanist if there's no option to disable their effects. I understand that I'm the one disturbed, I'm the one who has visualization problems with those effects, so I'm the one who should leave. It is the most correct attitude.

But maybe someone comes up with an addon to remove the Arcanist effects. It seems only lights around the character. They didn't put much work in it. They just throw a bunch of lights around the characters and called the day. So maybe it'll be possible to remove. I hope so.

Edited by NeKryXe on 19 April 2023 03:40
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its like a rave party going down whenever I fight someone. *Chuckles* Could be worse :)
    We Know...
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted some quick mock-ups in the official feedback thread. I merely lowered the brightness and saturation by 10-15%, and shifted the hue slightly into the yellows. Would like to know what you think.
    83AUe25.jpeg
    AmWmjLw.jpg
    0PFgZOh.jpg
    N6tTmWo.jpg
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Nebula_DooM
    Nebula_DooM
    ✭✭✭
    The animations are amazing although i will say the watcher ultimate would look extremely out of hand with multiple people using it. It'd be funny at first but it blocks out a fair bit of the screen above your character head
  • remosito
    remosito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been playing arcanist for a good dozen hours on the pts.

Sound design is kickass. Generally love the visuals. wouldn't be opoosed to the saturation/hue shift into the yellow a fellow posted above.

Only thing I am not super happy about is the dmg ulti. That thing is crazy dominant visually and even when soloing is hard to keep track of actual target.

As a tank am worried about that one....daedroths from sets are already hard at times..
    ShutYerTrap (selectively mute NPC dialogues (stuga, companions); displayleads (antiquity leads location); UndauntedPledgeQueuer (small daily undaunted dungeon queuer window)
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    I posted some quick mock-ups in the official feedback thread. I merely lowered the brightness and saturation by 10-15%, and shifted the hue slightly into the yellows. Would like to know what you think.
    83AUe25.jpeg
    AmWmjLw.jpg
    0PFgZOh.jpg
    N6tTmWo.jpg

It's less flashy, but I'd really prefer an option to fully disable all floating light effects around the character, so I can play the game in peace. :)

On armor sets it's ok for them to put that kind of visual noise, like they did with Ebon Armory set, for example, with those balls of light flying around. It's something we can not use if we don't like. But forcing this kind of trash in a class ruins everything.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    83AUe25.jpeg
    AmWmjLw.jpg
    0PFgZOh.jpg
    N6tTmWo.jpg

This already looks infinitely better in terms of looking organic. I really hope they do something like this.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I got on PTS the day it got live, I checked few new cosmetics, saw 20 people around the wayshrine spammin arcanist skills, logged off.
    It feeled out of place.Glad I didn't buy this expansion.
    Edited by Lady_Galadhiel on 19 April 2023 10:15
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only thing I don't like is the crux pyramids constantly floating around the character(if it was only in combat or wore off after combat I wouldn't mind)
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aztrias wrote: »
    Only thing I don't like is the crux pyramids constantly floating around the character(if it was only in combat or wore off after combat I wouldn't mind)

Definitely - and ironically they've spent the past year or two slowly fixing all the armour sets that had this problem (like Hatchlings Shell) by making them not 100% uptime but 100% uptime proc by taking damage or proc by combat.
    The animations are amazing although i will say the watcher ultimate would look extremely out of hand with multiple people using it. It'd be funny at first but it blocks out a fair bit of the screen above your character head

I love the animations, they are well done and it's nice they got the rune spammable to feel right after the horrible mess they made of the templar spear. I just want the flashiness turned down a bit.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got on PTS the day it got live, I checked few new cosmetics, saw 20 people around the wayshrine spammin arcanist skills, logged off.

The problem isn't if you bought it or not. The problem is that your screen will be flooded with the Arcanist visual trash even if you didn't buy the update. I don't regret buying it because I want to play the new zones, but the new class will be ruining the game everywhere for everybody, not only for those who bought the new zones.
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The problem isn't if you bought it or not. The problem is that your screen will be flooded with the Arcanist visual trash even if you didn't buy the update. I don't regret buying it because I want to play the new zones, but the new class will be ruining the game everywhere for everybody, not only for those who bought the new zones.

Depens, for those who do group content it surely will.In my case not so much as I avoid group dungeons and trials lately.
    I doubt folks will stand around just spamming those awful looking skills all over the place once the expansion is live.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • Tessitura
    Tessitura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tessitura wrote: »

91ecachicapc.jpg

6fomr2eoju4r.jpg

xtu6gxz90192.jpg

What's your point? I don't see laser beams, flying triangles or patethic bright tribal tattoos on the floor. Those images shows only bright organic light effects, nothing like the visual trash extremely bad designed of the Arcanist. Also, you are comparing a single player game and effects that you decide yourself when to see to a MMO that will be flooded with dumb lights every time you'll be in a group with another player using that crap. Even soloing in PVE you'll bee seeing flying green triangles and green laser beams everywhere. You'll not be able to control that visual trash.

My point was made pretty concisely. I don't know what to tell you other then you are way too upset about a video game. I guess this conversation is over. I am not going to respond anymore.
    Edited by Tessitura on 19 April 2023 21:20
This discussion has been closed.