Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Do you wear heavy armor for any other reason than looks?

• murzik54ub17_ESO
    murzik54ub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    yeah, that too, they really need to lock down the passives also, they need to change almost everything requiring 5 armor pieces and the armor ultimate should be 7 armor pieces give clear purpose for heavy armor! and other armors, the way current system work is would be similar comparison of shield and board being able to use dual wield skill skyline just because you have one sword..
  • Drasn
    Drasn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Razzak wrote: »
    Why is heavy armor considered so useless? Isn't the added armor value you get from heavy pieces a good stat increase? Isn't health recovery a good thing?

Why is light armor so good, especially if we are talking about a stamina focused DK build?

You can reach armor soft cap in 7 pieces of light armor without using any buffs.

Health Regen's soft cap in 50 so it's very easy to reach without the heavy armor passives. Also every class has some way to self heal making this a nearly pointless stat.
    Kahina wrote: »
    Heavy needs a massive health regen boost, big enough to make a difference, that can't be had anywhere else.

Health Regen is too easy to soft cap because the cap is so low. They would have to rework the soft cap and even then because of self heals heavy armor would still be worthless.
    i think the non passive armor skills should only be able to be cast with full set of that armor, its really unfair mage having to use one piece of heavy armor and be able to be a tank, you are a sorc wanna cast? ok cool wear light armor, you a sorc wanna tank? wear heavy armor, the current system is stupid," oh you wanna tank and have good magica management? sweet wear 2 heavy armor pieces.. " going hybrid should have greater penalties and having a full set of specific armor should give you a bigger reward in its purpose

second, stamina needs to have some kinda resource management, or reduce cost of stamina skills x2 and they need to remove the abundance of buffs available, if they give everyone access to armor buffs, what is point of going heavy armor, or what is the point of having templar support and so on, every class should have unique contribution to the team that rest of the classes cant get..

First, you don't even need to wear 1 piece of heavy to use that passive.

Second, if you took the ability to use that passive away people would still use 7 pieces of light armor to tank. Sorcerers have access to Lightning Form(which is a better Armor/Resist ability), Dragonknights have access to Spiked Armor(which is a better Armor ability), Templars have access to Rune Focus(which is a better Armor/Resist ability), Nightblades have access to Shadow Barrier via Shadow Cloak. All classes have access to Circle of Protection.

People don't use Immovable for the Armor/Resist, they use it for knockback/disabling immunity.
    Sallakat wrote: »
    The passives man, the passives. I need the armor and regen passives for my templar healer so I use 2 heavy with my light.

I used to think the same thing, then I realized I was wrong.

The benefits of 7 light far outweigh the armor/health regen you gain with 5 light/2 heavy.
    Turelus wrote: »
    Yes because it lets me focus on traits other than armour boosting and I can stay on a high armour even when not using abilities to boost it, or when shot by players with armour reduction abilities.

Light Armor can reach soft cap with all Divines/Infused traits. No need for reinforced.
    yeah, that too, they really need to lock down the passives also, they need to change almost everything requiring 5 armor pieces and the armor ultimate should be 7 armor pieces give clear purpose for heavy armor! and other armors, the way current system work is would be similar comparison of shield and board being able to use dual wield skill skyline just because you have one sword..

See above where I talk about the armor granting abilities.

Fact of the matter is Heavy Armor and even Medium Armor to an extent have no benefit whatsoever except for looks.