Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

I agree with the Templar Spear nerf

• born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oblongship wrote: »
    I appreciate being insulted guys. I really do. Thanks.

I should have known this would happen for ever agreeing with a nerf.

Make a troll post throwing a nerf in people's face, then complain about the backlash....you are smart aren't you?
    Again, if you took this as trolling, I apologize. it was not my intention.
  • born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭

Make a troll post throwing a nerf in people's face, then complain about the backlash....you are smart aren't you?

• vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I must admit i am starting to feel really stupid. Im a level 48 templar and i have never even put a point in that skill. My templar was obviously dropped on his head as a child.
  • SDZald
    SDZald
    ✭✭✭

Nerfing is NEVER a good option. If some skill makes a certain class to strong why not beef up the other classes? Why must everyone's first option be to nerf?

For whom does the bell toll? Once they start to nerf it is only a matter of time before they get around to your favorite skill so you should never take joy in someone else pain.

Edited by SDZald on 27 May 2014 19:00
  • Snowstrider
    Snowstrider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a templar i just feel weak now with the biting jabs thing,I use sword and shield and now they also nerfed shield bash...
  • born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now this is a whole other can of worms. Nerfing is necessary in multiplayer games and there are a ton of articles why that I really don't want to dig up now. Balance isn't just handing out mass buffs across the board to bring other classes up
    Edited by born2beagator on 27 May 2014 19:02
  • Innocente
    Innocente
    ✭✭✭✭
    @‌Vyndral

You may not have needed to because you went Destro Staff and some other weapon. But, a Resto staff healer cannot afford multiple Magicka skills; we would dry up fast. So, spears gives us the needed melee DPS while using a Bow / Resto Staff for ranged.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should better nerf their insane self healing. It should cost far more.
    DKs and Templars self heal is too strong in my opinion. NBs and Sorcs don't even have a direct self heal.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

My debut album on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@Gleandra/videos
  • born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a nightblade and I have plenty of self heals. I have to attack to use them, but they work pretty well with swallow soul, blood craze, and leeching strikes
  • Vordar
    Vordar
    ✭✭
    If you go down the road to nerf everything bots use, then you will see not far from now other things nerfed, how about they decide that nodes should spawn every 2 hours? or that you have a timer on instances, so once you completed one you cant go in to another one for the next... say 24 hours?

There is a lot of ways to get rid of botting, and nerfing things that will hurt the player base is NEVER EVER a good business practice or PR choice.
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Innocente wrote: »
    @‌Vyndral

You may not have needed to because you went Destro Staff and some other weapon. But, a Resto staff healer cannot afford multiple Magicka skills; we would dry up fast. So, spears gives us the needed melee DPS while using a Bow / Resto Staff for ranged.

Ah! That makes sense. I actually went double restro staff. One just has a set of dps skills on it. I got spoiled by the mana regen on the restro and decided to never give it up. I tried some melee for a bit but i always felt like i was missing my templar spells :(
  • Illumous
    Illumous
    ✭✭✭
    There are a few reasons that nerfing Biting Jabs because bots use it is illogical.

1. Bots will always find another way to be bots. There are plenty of Bots out there that don't use biting jabs (and never did), and biting jabs isn't what makes botting possible. Once one means of doing a job is removed, they will go on and find another.

2. The delay does not prevent bots in groups from using the skill effectively. The biting jabs nerf really only effects the solo ability of Templar at close range, in groups biting jabs still provides powerful CC knockback and decent damage (not as good as before, but not worthless). Biting Jab Templars in groups will always be effective at clearing simple mobs regardless of the cooldown.

3. Players should not suffer because of something that bots use. Unless the skill was broken beyond words (which it was perfectly balanced in the first place and honestly doesn't even warrant the planned increase in its resource cost given Templars already weak sustainability for magicka), there is no reason to nerf something on the grounds that bots commonly use it.

The nerfing of Biting Jabs does not make Templars worthless... It does however affect a number of melee based Templar builds that used to be 100% viable in high leveled Veteran content. I used to run Biting Jabs as my bread and butter damage skill along with Volcanic Rune for CC, Breath of Life for heals, Invasion for gap closing and single target CC, and another skill depending on the enemy. With both the bash and biting jabs nerf, my effectiveness to deal damage with my Templar is gone (I didn't use bash enchants just to be a little more clear) and I cant even do the Vet10 content that used to be not so much of an issue before solo anymore. I could always move to another style of play, but why should I have to if what I was doing before wasn't really OP in the first place?

No one ever complained about Biting Jabs before the patch and if you had issues with it in PvP, it was entirely a matter of LtP as it is very easy to counter with unstoppable and CC breaks. And for those who say it is a finisher anyways and should be used as such, that argument really has no grounds since the base skill and its other morph are not finishers (and they were nerfed just the same). The fact of the matter is the skill was hard nerfed to be useless as a solo tool without any grounds of it being "too powerful".
    Sol-Illumous | Breton Templar | Mag Support/Healer | EP
    Sol-Ventus | Imperial Templar | Stam DPS | EP
    Famìne | Argonian Templar | Mag Support/Healer | DC
    NA Azura's Star (PC) - WCFC (Myrmidons) & Horsemen of Apocalypse
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They already said they were going to revert it and increase the cost, which I think is a good compromise

...if it hadn't been for the Templars' *** poor magicka regen :-/
  • magickats242cub18_ESO
    Well if a Templar skill got nerfed because bots were abusing said skill to farm gold, then blame the people who are using the services of the gold farmers.
  • aleister
    aleister
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why? Bots. This was their bread and butter. They would run around just spamming that spear. Now that there is about a second cooldown on the ability, I have seen bots biting the dust lately.

It also provides some entertainment for real players. Most bots are made to try to avoid more than 2 man groups, so players would just train another mob on them. Even then, that spear was an equalizer. Now with that cooldown, if they get mobbed by at least 4 enemies they are toast. In the span of 10 minutes today I got the same bot killed 10 times by training mobs on it. It was quite fun.

If the nerf is because of bots, or kepts because of bots, then the bots have truly won.
  • oxygen_boarderb16_ESO
    I agree with the change to BitJab, only because it was becoming a one skill wonder. I believe that this change comes on the brink of a class re-balance for Templars. Without bringing this ability down, I don't think they could increase other other skill sets without leaving us too powerful.

Now they have the ability to tweak other areas and get away from everyone just spamming BitJab.
    Toktok - Vet8 Orc Templar - 2 Hand, Medium/Heavy Armor Grunt - Blacksmith/Clothier/Enchanter/Alchemist
  • elemdor
    elemdor
    ✭✭

Hey, what did you expect?
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom admin
    May 23 edited May 23 Staff Post
    One additional addendum for the Templar skill Biting Jabs:

In patch 1.1.2, we increased the internal cooldown of Biting Jabs from 0.5 seconds to 1.2 seconds. Unfortunately, this change was not documented in the patch notes. This was not intended, and we do apologize.

This change was made to balance the ability's high single target damage. However we have been reading your feedback, and agree that the ability feels too unresponsive now. We will be reverting this change for the next patch (as soon as possible), and instead will slightly increase the ability's resource cost.
    Edited by Blackwidow on 27 May 2014 19:47
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice skill but Templar has better things after level 50.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• Brog
    Brog
    Soul Shriven
    This ability was fine.

The reason bots can get away with just spamming Jabs and actual Templars cannot is because they are bots. They run around in packs, using the same script, to farm easy mobs. What works for 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 Templar bots all attacking the same stuff at the same time DOES NOT work for actual Templar players, especially those in the Vet areas. I know my Templar has to do more than just spam Biting Jabs. I don't have 3 clones following me around repeating my actions...just mashing one skill won't cut it for actual game play.

Nerfing this skill in any way in an effort to combat bots is not going to work. If you make it so terrible that the botters can't use it any more, even in large Templar bot packs, they will just pick a different skill or switch to a different class.