Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Too many potions! A suggestion to fix it.

Soupypoop
Soupypoop
✭✭
It seems like, for whatever bright idea a developer had, there is a different potion for EVERY character level. At level 15, you get a potion with XXX health restoration. Loot a potion at level 16, and it's XXY, at 17 XXZ, and so on. It really kills bag space and forces players to junk excess potions, often times choosing to either keep 15 of a lower level potion or 5 of a higher level potion. Do I go for the better potions, or with the ones I have more of?

I think this needs to be fixed. Potions need to be grouped in level ranges like soul gems and glyphs are. Give me a potion that is grouped for a level range of, say, every 5 or 10 levels. Heck, make it based off of the solvent used. Having 100s of different potions is just ridiculous and doesn't help the already limited bag space issue.

EDIT: Clarification - I am talking about dropped potions, not crafted. I should have been more clear. What I meant by being based on solvents is that you see solvents craft potions of certain level ranges. It seems that dropped potions don;t obey the same system, which it should.
Edited by Soupypoop on 28 May 2014 16:15
  • Lovely
    Lovely
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. I craft stam-mag-health potions and I sell everything else.
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree.. Started a similar post a few weeks ago..
  • Skilledbandit08
    Skilledbandit08
    Soul Shriven
    Agreed, most definitely needs to be consolidated.
  • Innocente
    Innocente
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand the issue. The number of mat types is fixed. The number of potion build types is fixed. Just make what you want; sell the rest of the mats or use them to level up.

That being said, potions work differently in ESO than in other games. You can use one every 30sec to boost your DPS, Healing, etc. It is not 'one use per fight' like in other games. So, make a bunch of crit potions and use one right before every chain of high damage attacks and watch your DPS sore!
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    There should be different "tiers" of potions, but all the potions within a tier should be the same. We really don't need a different potion for each level, all with the same name.
  • beefers96
    beefers96
    I was thinking about this just last night as I realized that I had around 30 kinds of potions I'd been saving for a rainy day. Level ranges would be a great idea.
  • Sleepwalker
    Sleepwalker
    ✭✭✭
    I used to feel the exact same way as the OP, and in all honesty, this is probably something that should be looked at in the future. Having multiple health or magicka potions at or near the same level that cause different effects just wastes inventory space since they, of course, won't stack. Truly a pain.

However, the issue is completely cured by becoming an alchemist. Not sure if everyone noticed this yet. The potions you make are always going to be better than what drops at your level (assuming you started alchemy close to character creation), so you wind up selling all of the ones that drop and eliminate the issue entirely really. Just a suggestion until this is (hopefully) fixed.
    "QUIT CRYIN'! Do some pushups or something!"

Grayfield - V2 Breton Nightblade
    Windspike - 40 Bosmer Sorceror
  • BaddLarry
    BaddLarry
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely agree with this. I was just checking my bag and have 3 different effusions of health just one level difference from each other. That's three bag slots taken up while I'm out. Of course I can sell them when I get to town, but now I'm making sell trips or looking for walking merchants. Level ranges would be better.
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soupypoop wrote: »
    It seems like, for whatever bright idea a developer had, there is a different potion for EVERY character level. At level 15, you get a potion with XXX health restoration. Loot a potion at level 16, and it's XXY, at 17 XXZ, and so on. It really kills bag space and forces players to junk excess potions, often times choosing to either keep 15 of a lower level potion or 5 of a higher level potion. Do I go for the better potions, or with the ones I have more of?

I think this needs to be fixed. Potions need to be grouped in level ranges like soul gems and glyphs are. Give me a potion that is grouped for a level range of, say, every 5 or 10 levels. Heck, make it based off of the solvent used. Having 100s of different potions is just ridiculous and doesn't help the already limited bag space issue.

Crafted potions are on levels 3 - 10 - 20 - 30 - 40 - 50 - VR5 - VR10.

There is no level 16-17 potion. Drops maybe, if you do not like them, sell them.

• Lox
    Lox
    ✭✭✭
    Soupypoop wrote: »
    Give me a potion that is grouped for a level range of, say, every 5 or 10 levels. Heck, make it based off of the solvent used.

err, thats exactly how crafted potions work, or are you on about drops?

Up to lvl 40 so far I see little or no use for potions anyway, most of the are hardly above useless. I am an Alchemist and I rarely, if ever need to use the pots I produce, I sell all the dropped ones as they are a total waste of time.

Edited by Lox on 27 May 2014 16:31
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with OP.

Would like to see an Alchemy ability to make tier+5 ( 15, 25, 35, etc ) level potions because at 27-29, level 20 crafted potions, while good, need to be multi-stat to equate the efficacy of dropped potions of level 27-29.

Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
  • greeat-scottb14_ESO
    this is how it is in Skyrim. the drops you need to sell to vendors (or gamble on their lonely broker). The mechanic/system of MMo.s and Skyrim is that you can craft better. Why settle for just one pot that only heals when you can craft a pot that heals, restores stam and restores magika. Or a pot that Increases damage, power, and heals. Have to give the system a chance and see how it works out better. Drops are drops - sell the trash for quick gold.
    Edited by greeat-scottb14_ESO on 27 May 2014 17:07