Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Container Looting Distance

• Ageless
    Ageless
    ✭✭✭
    That may be true, but the cooking fire here is quite a ways away. There's a desk between you and it, plus enough space to put two more desks in. Which is making it so weird. :)
    Jord.

As I burn down and murder, I know that God forgives.
    'Spite all the things I've done my soul yet forever lives.
    And all those caught in the shadow of my wings have cause to fear.
    I swear on all I've done, no evil shall linger here.

• twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    R0M2K wrote: »
    Yep interaction distance has been reduced to a point of beeing anoying.

Please fix it.
    More important that the dresser contains stuff now, from 1.0.5 to 1.1.2 95% have been empty.
    two in guild found rare motifs yesterday, none found anything last week or the week before

in short if 5% of the containers become unlootable because of this its not an issue.
    ---
    No I have no idea why this was done, its hardly an problem but it was not an problem before either.
    ---

It does nothing for bots, yes it force to bot to be programmed more accurately who would make it easier to find a pattern in behavior.
    No this is not done as it would also kill almost all existing bots too.

So you're saying that those 5% unlootable containers will only be the ones that the RNG WASN'T going to put a rare motif in anyway?

::whew::

I feel better now.
    Because my short Bosmers having a hard time jumping onto stuff to try and reach containers as it is won't be a problem now to try and score a motif.....

That is, if the mem leak and patch lag will even let me play the frakin' game for more than 5 minutes.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.
  • Amiarah
    Amiarah
    ✭✭✭
    I do not like this at all.. yes it was a long range before, but now I feel shortsighted having to almost stand on the container to be able to loot it. Atleast make it a LITTLE bit longer. And yeah, the high stuff is unreachable at this moment.
  • gladen5rwb17_ESO
    gladen5rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Please, please put back the original distance. Tonight I looked like a desperate junkie trying to get to that container at the top of a shelf that I am too small to reach. I simply cannot reach some anymore, all the jumping in the world comes to naught.
  • eobethb14_ESO
    eobethb14_ESO
    ✭✭
    vyal wrote: »
    Yet another "fix" that punishes normal players, does nothing to bots, and was likely meant to stop automated gameplay/scripts.

Oh, and was NOT documented in the patch notes. Again.

As I mentioned in another thread, I have to be touching the model of some objects to interact with them now.

Horrible, unnecessary, punitive, and ultimately a stupid change.

Any Zenimax Developer: Justify this change. I dare you.

So much agree!

Another unecessary and incredibly irritating change.

Both the decreased loot distance and even more the smaller loot reticle.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree this is not game breaking but it also annoys me, particularly playing mostly in 3rd person with the slightly off-centre target.
  • Insanyti
    Insanyti
    ✭✭✭
    I usually play all the way zoomed out so having to zoom in, sometimes all the way in, in a pain. XD
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Controversial thread. Who knew the distance at which a container (but not a cooking fire) could be accessed could cause so much angst?
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by Blackwidow on 24 May 2014 19:51
  • METALPUNKS
    METALPUNKS
    ✭✭✭
    Trust me it's noticeable. I started this exact thread about it a couple days ago. Lol

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/100978/distance-to-click-on-objects-has-been-messed-up-after-patch#latest
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Snip

• Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it me or does it seem better (more like it was) now today? Last night I literally had to be humping the container. Now I just have to be close.
  • eobethb14_ESO
    eobethb14_ESO
    ✭✭
    It was pretty annoying to me earlier. I decided to play an unused character, since I really do not want to deal with one that has achievements all messed up until they fix that.

So I do not know if I was already irritated, but it just felt like the last unfun and annoying thing and every time I went to loot something and had to take an extra step or two or center the crosshair a little more precisely. It just pissed me off.

I am sure it is the culmination of many issues, but I find myself being angry more while playing then having fun. Taking each issue alone, seems a little silly, but really the issues are tipping the scale for me.

VR content/difficulty
    VR provisioning
    lack of rare VR recipes
    Yeah I am a NB - we have issues
    Achievements all messed up - sorry, I know you say it is display, but you also said you fixed Stormhaven weeks ago, except for those of us who completed it. I will wait until it is fixed, thank you.
    Inventory management

So to additionally make the actual act of looting containers even the tiniest bit more difficult, was just the straw for me.

Bring on the mockers...honestly I do not care. The game keeps making things more and more unfun, and I do not understand the reason for these "little" changes.
    Edited by eobethb14_ESO on 24 May 2014 20:12
  • temjiu
    temjiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is irritating at times. My short cute little wood elf can't reach allot of stuff anymore. I'm Hopping on counter tops (irritating other bar customers in the process) trying to get my reticule to target that silly bottle so i can get some water for my precious potions!

And then the bartender walks into the picture with an interaction box 4x the size of my bottle. now i have to wait till he walks away so i can actually get that silly little bottle!

It would actually be sorta funny if they had comments that changed the more you clicked them...i swear I clicked that bartender so many times im sure he was looking at me like, "wtf...WHY ARE YOU TOUCHING ME!"

....sniff...I just want my bottle...

On a more serious note, I believe (personal theory only!) that this was another change they made to make botting more difficult. I assume that some of the glitches bots were relying on depended on large interaction boxes, so the bots could set up a script that got their toon in the general area, and then they could loot everything in range.

This change (if it was for botting....if not then i retract my statements) was far too odd and deliberate to be anything other. It's not game breaking, but its another one of those things that they changed that impacted players just to kill bots. there are so many different things they could do to really eliminate the bots, but instead they just make all our lives a bit more difficult each and every change.
  • elwhy
    elwhy
    ✭✭✭
    Insanyti wrote: »
    It's only containers that have been affected by the new range/distance requirement.

You can still use cooking fires, talk to NPCs, etc from the same distance away.

This makes me laugh, because it's true and ruins the one possible argument that zenimax could have made about making it more realistic. I agree, looting across beds isn't realistic so a fix is okay, but you overdid the fix and left the ability to cook over desks? Confusing.
  • Reykice
    Reykice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes its annoying... i`m the tallest race but can`t pick up something until i am touching it with my body.

It was fine before, nobody(that i know of) complained so why change it... it only makes looting containers that much more annoying. I`d say change it back...
  • CodyFurlong
    CodyFurlong
    ✭✭
    This one has noticed the change too, and he must say that he does not like having to be standing right on top of something he is trying to loot.
    You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been. You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow. - Heretic's Faith, Randall N. Bills
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    twev wrote: »
    zaria wrote: »
    R0M2K wrote: »
    Yep interaction distance has been reduced to a point of beeing anoying.

Please fix it.
    More important that the dresser contains stuff now, from 1.0.5 to 1.1.2 95% have been empty.
    two in guild found rare motifs yesterday, none found anything last week or the week before

in short if 5% of the containers become unlootable because of this its not an issue.
    ---
    No I have no idea why this was done, its hardly an problem but it was not an problem before either.
    ---

It does nothing for bots, yes it force to bot to be programmed more accurately who would make it easier to find a pattern in behavior.
    No this is not done as it would also kill almost all existing bots too.

So you're saying that those 5% unlootable containers will only be the ones that the RNG WASN'T going to put a rare motif in anyway?

::whew::

I feel better now.
    Because my short Bosmers having a hard time jumping onto stuff to try and reach containers as it is won't be a problem now to try and score a motif.....

That is, if the mem leak and patch lag will even let me play the frakin' game for more than 5 minutes.
    No, from 1.0.5 to 1.1.2 you was only allowed to loot 5-10 containers every day.

in 1.1.2 you can loot an unlimited number and the old ones resets after some hours.
    in short if you search some towns then do quests / pvp / dungeons and come back they have reset.
    chance for rare motif are low perhaps 0.5 -0.1% might depend on the container type and area, however if its stupid placed will not affect it.

And having to be an meter from something to search it is pretty realistic. think it was 1.5 meter in skyrim.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agegarton wrote: »
    Controversial thread. Who knew the distance at which a container (but not a cooking fire) could be accessed could cause so much angst?
    This, see this as an non issue, as in I noticed but did not think about it until I saw the tread.

I say that the target for some quest objectives is a far larger problem some has pretty small click zones and they are not always on target, some even have some minimum distance, go to close to the bonfire and you cant activate it
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • steveb16_ESO46
    steveb16_ESO46
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect the change was to combat the gathering/looting bots. Impact is like other anti-bot fixes greater detriment to real players.

Yea. Because not programmers that can make toons fly, teleport and burrow are pretty certain to be stumped when it comes to moving closer to something. A completely pointless thing to do. The only thing it does is *** off real customers.
  • x2link777b14_ESO
    I suspect the change was to combat the gathering/looting bots. Impact is like other anti-bot fixes greater detriment to real players.

Yea. Because not programmers that can make toons fly, teleport and burrow are pretty certain to be stumped when it comes to moving closer to something. A completely pointless thing to do. The only thing it does is *** off real customers.

You must be pretty new to mmos. The majority of all anti-rmt/bot "fixes" do nothing to anyone BUT legit players. It's been the same way in every mmo I've played. And it's certainly that way here sadly.