Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Container Looting Distance

kaze_mizuno_ESO
kaze_mizuno_ESO
Soul Shriven
Has anyone else noticed that since the patch, the distance at which you can interact with containers seems to have been reduced? It's making it a bit annoying to get to, say, sacks toward the back of the top of a bookshelf, or those cupboards at eye level or so in Bandaari Trade Post.
  • Liquid_Time
    Liquid_Time
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you have to get close to the sacks in order to grab them? Interesting..
    ¸.•¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•`
    Liquid_Time'*-.¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-••¤
    ╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
       IGN: Liquid Past || Rank: V14 || Class: Nightblade || World Skill: Vampire
    ╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
  • Gwarok
    Gwarok
    ✭✭✭
    Awww we cant loot a crate or barrel half way across a room :'( and it really going sucks having to start jumping across a bed to rumble through a dresser after I empty out a nightstand. :#
    Edited by Gwarok on 22 May 2014 20:07
    "Strive for balance of all things. When the scales tip to one side or the other, someone or somethings gets short-changed. When someone gets short-changed, unpredictability and strife unbalance the world around us...To achieve freedom from greed, from want, and from strife, all parties in any exchange MUST find balance." -House Hlaalu's Philosophy of Trade

"I am ALWAYS very busy, so I KNOW what's best. You need to stay away from the waterfall. TRUST ME, you're better off keeping busy than playing in the stream....Do you know how to swim, Little Scrib?"

"I am but a simple farmer". -Rags'nar LodesBroke

#SKOOMA!

(Juliet):
    ...it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man.
    O, be some other name!
    What's in a name?
    That which we call a rose?
    By any other name would smell as sweet.
    Retain that dear perfection to which he owes...
    (Act II, Scene II -William Shakespeare's: Romeo & Juliet -1595 A.D.)

• Elember
    Elember
    ✭✭✭
    Not to mention those Lore Books that some dev thought was a good idea to hide under a table, they were already nearly impossible to target and add to your collection now its a waste of time to even try....
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gwarok wrote: »
    Awww we cant loot a crate or barrel half way across a room :'( That's really going sucks having to jump across a bed to rumble through a dresser after I empty out a nightstand. :#
    Hyperbole much?

The OP isn't whining about losing an easy mechanic. Depending on race and height of your character, there are already some containers that can be difficult to interact with. Ie... cupboards mounted high up on a wall, sacks on top of a tall bookshelf, etc.. Prior to the patch, there have been occasions where some toons simply couldn't reach some containers, but rare enough that it wasn't a big deal. If the interaction distance has been significantly reduced, it could pose a problem.
  • daveben007b14a_ESO
    Elember wrote: »
    Not to mention those Lore Books that some dev thought was a good idea to hide under a table, they were already nearly impossible to target and add to your collection now its a waste of time to even try....

I don't think they are under the table as I have had this happen to me I relog and come back in and they are on top of the table I think its yet another bug
  • Gwarok
    Gwarok
    ✭✭✭
    Awww we cant loot a crate or barrel half way across a room :'( That's really going sucks having to jump across a bed to rumble through a dresser after I empty out a nightstand. :#
    Hyperbole much?
    /sarcasm off.

fixed. Please accept my apologies.
    Edited by Gwarok on 22 May 2014 22:21
    "Strive for balance of all things. When the scales tip to one side or the other, someone or somethings gets short-changed. When someone gets short-changed, unpredictability and strife unbalance the world around us...To achieve freedom from greed, from want, and from strife, all parties in any exchange MUST find balance." -House Hlaalu's Philosophy of Trade

"I am ALWAYS very busy, so I KNOW what's best. You need to stay away from the waterfall. TRUST ME, you're better off keeping busy than playing in the stream....Do you know how to swim, Little Scrib?"

"I am but a simple farmer". -Rags'nar LodesBroke

#SKOOMA!

(Juliet):
    ...it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man.
    O, be some other name!
    What's in a name?
    That which we call a rose?
    By any other name would smell as sweet.
    Retain that dear perfection to which he owes...
    (Act II, Scene II -William Shakespeare's: Romeo & Juliet -1595 A.D.)

• kaze_mizuno_ESO
    kaze_mizuno_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Hyperbole much?

The OP isn't whining about losing an easy mechanic. Depending on race and height of your character, there are already some containers that can be difficult to interact with. Ie... cupboards mounted high up on a wall, sacks on top of a tall bookshelf, etc.. Prior to the patch, there have been occasions where some toons simply couldn't reach some containers, but rare enough that it wasn't a big deal. If the interaction distance has been significantly reduced, it could pose a problem.

It is a little odd and aggravating. I mean, my character is an Altmer, and a tall one at that, so most of those "high cupboards" are still about eye level. It's bizarre that the distance has gotten so small, I have to jump and hit E at exactly the right moment to grab something from an eye-level cupboard.

Is it game breaking? No. Does it ruin my day? No. However, it is strange, unexpected, completely unmentioned in the patch notes, with nothing that I could see to really warrant it, to the point where I'm relatively confident in guessing this was an unintended change.
  • mndfreeze
    mndfreeze
    ✭✭✭
    I dont mind it being shortened but they went almost to far. Now there are shelves that act as containers on walls that can no longer be reached even if you are right under it. I think they need to take the distance we were at before patch, and the distance we are at now currently, and then meet in the middle of both of them. It's a bit silly when I can't reach up to a cuppboard thats right above my head...
  • CombatBeard
    CombatBeard
    ✭✭✭
    Exploration & Itemization
    General
    • Players weren't looking hard enough for racial motifs so we reduced the interaction distance with lootable objects
  • Insanyti
    Insanyti
    ✭✭✭
    This was one of the first things I noticed upon logging in after the patch (besides the different look of the armor).

Like Kaze said, Is it game-breaking? No.
    I am, however, one of those players who has an addiction to opening nearly every container in sight if I can and now having the distance changed has made what was previously a very fast interaction take more time as I'm getting used to the new distance.
    Some items now I cannot interact with unless I am as close as physically possible AND I zoom in to the right angle or all the way.

It's just INTENSELY aggravating for me and I really wish they'd either change it back or do what Mndfreeze said and meet in the middle.
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made the shortest Bretons. Guess I won't be reaching those cabinets up top any more.
    People keep telling me they're gonna buy me an ale. They never do.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

Help make this compilation complete!
    Compilation of Ideas and Suggestions
  • elwhy
    elwhy
    ✭✭✭
    Insanyti wrote: »
    This was one of the first things I noticed upon logging in after the patch (besides the different look of the armor).

Like Kaze said, Is it game-breaking? No.
    I am, however, one of those players who has an addiction to opening nearly every container in sight if I can and now having the distance changed has made what was previously a very fast interaction take more time as I'm getting used to the new distance.
    Some items now I cannot interact with unless I am as close as physically possible AND I zoom in to the right angle or all the way.

It's just INTENSELY aggravating for me and I really wish they'd either change it back or do what Mndfreeze said and meet in the middle.

Agreed! It's not game breaking, but it does make the game a little less fun having to be on top of things to loot them. And I can't not loot everything...
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are in vendor stands sometimes crates with provs mats in them that you cant reach now, because of the extremely small radius of opening them now.

I agree the radius was way to big before, but they made it way to small now, that even with their own game design, lots of boxes/crates and so on wont be able to be looted anymore
  • gladen5rwb17_ESO
    gladen5rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    There really are some asinine comments here. Yes having to get super close to an object dozens and dozens of times to gain materials for provisioning is a pain in the rear end. It takes so much time having to target small items and yes, having to jump and maneuver constantly to open them is also a pain in the rear.
    Those that harvest out in the open to not have this problem, targeting is simple and effective. This was an unnecessary thing to 'fix'.

And for the love of god why are there people who insist on commenting about something they do not care about themselves? If you don't have a problem with it, fine, no need to throw in your two cents worth of wasted time.
  • waylander48
    waylander48
    ✭✭
    its a pain in the backside some sacks on top of the low level bookcases you cant reach or have to stand on top of a container to loot makes you look desperate to loot it.

other things I noticed sometimes while running around the bank in vulkhel guard my char suddenly goes bandy legged like shes been riding a horse for too long.

getting stuck in the door at the bank in vulkhel guard other people having the same issue with this also

and what did they do to eagles strand half the walls and gates are missing did it get attacked by pirates in the night?

node spawn time seem to have been increased too.
    Edited by waylander48 on 24 May 2014 06:31
  • Thunderchief
    Thunderchief
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. It's annoying now.
  • Vlaxitov
    Vlaxitov
    ✭✭✭
    Hyperbole much?
    /sarcasm off.

fixed. Please accept my apologies.

Because having to dry hump the dresser you're opening adds value to the game.

• R0M2K
    R0M2K
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep interaction distance has been reduced to a point of beeing anoying.

Please fix it.
  • steveb16_ESO46
    steveb16_ESO46
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it's just as well that the game is perfectly balanced and bug free so they can turn their attention to pointless things like this.
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Vlaxitov wrote: »
    Because having to dry hump the dresser you're opening adds value to the game.
    That's about it. Interactables were clumsy enough as it was. Can't imagine who thought this was a good idea.
  • KitLightning
    KitLightning
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well this surely must hint us that a future skill is in the works, e.g. "Long Fingers" for the oh-so-wanted Thief class la_mummy_by_kitlightning-d6qv2qm.gif
    "I'd rather be insane in a sane world, than sane in an insane world!" ~Me
    Warning - This is a spoiler and looking at it for too long may cause irrecoverable eyesight issues.
    ◔̯◔

MechWarrior: Living Legends – Total conversion modification for Crysis Wars.

kitlightning.deviantart
  • kaze_mizuno_ESO
    kaze_mizuno_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Well it's just as well that the game is perfectly balanced and bug free so they can turn their attention to pointless things like this.

I don't think anyone's saying it's a critical issue that needs to be at the top of the fix queue. I completely understand that they have bigger fish to fry right now, and if they don't have time to take a look at it for quite a while, so be it.

The point was never to say "OMG, fix this right now I'll unsub". The point was more to say "Hey, this is kind of weird and aggravating. It wasn't in the patch notes, so is it even intentional? If it's not, we're letting you know about it. If it is, here's our feedback."

It's just a matter of putting it out there. If someone happens to get a bit of spare time to even just roll that value back until it can be investigated further (assuming it's that simple, which it may well not be), great. If they've very understandably got their hands full with other things right now, that's fine, too. I'm willing to wait in line.
  • Insanyti
    Insanyti
    ✭✭✭

I don't think anyone's saying it's a critical issue that needs to be at the top of the fix queue. I completely understand that they have bigger fish to fry right now, and if they don't have time to take a look at it for quite a while, so be it.

The point was never to say "OMG, fix this right now I'll unsub". The point was more to say "Hey, this is kind of weird and aggravating. It wasn't in the patch notes, so is it even intentional? If it's not, we're letting you know about it. If it is, here's our feedback."

It's just a matter of putting it out there. If someone happens to get a bit of spare time to even just roll that value back until it can be investigated further (assuming it's that simple, which it may well not be), great. If they've very understandably got their hands full with other things right now, that's fine, too. I'm willing to wait in line.

Exactly what was said here. *claps*

• vyal
    vyal
    ✭✭✭
    Yet another "fix" that punishes normal players, does nothing to bots, and was likely meant to stop automated gameplay/scripts.

Oh, and was NOT documented in the patch notes. Again.

As I mentioned in another thread, I have to be touching the model of some objects to interact with them now.

Horrible, unnecessary, punitive, and ultimately a stupid change.

Any Zenimax Developer: Justify this change. I dare you.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    R0M2K wrote: »
    Yep interaction distance has been reduced to a point of beeing anoying.

Please fix it.
    More important that the dresser contains stuff now, from 1.0.5 to 1.1.2 95% have been empty.
    two in guild found rare motifs yesterday, none found anything last week or the week before

in short if 5% of the containers become unlootable because of this its not an issue.
    ---
    No I have no idea why this was done, its hardly an problem but it was not an problem before either.
    ---

It does nothing for bots, yes it force to bot to be programmed more accurately who would make it easier to find a pattern in behavior.
    No this is not done as it would also kill almost all existing bots too.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • siuolly
    siuolly
    ✭✭✭
    I literally have to walk to the container so that its right in my face to loot it. Its annoying to the n-th degree!
  • tylarthb16_ESO
    tylarthb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect the change was to combat the gathering/looting bots. Impact is like other anti-bot fixes greater detriment to real players.
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hyperbole much?

It is a little odd and aggravating. I mean, my character is an Altmer, and a tall one at that, so most of those "high cupboards" are still about eye level. It's bizarre that the distance has gotten so small, I have to jump and hit E at exactly the right moment to grab something from an eye-level cupboard.

Is it game breaking? No. Does it ruin my day? No. However, it is strange, unexpected, completely unmentioned in the patch notes, with nothing that I could see to really warrant it, to the point where I'm relatively confident in guessing this was an unintended change.

i thought it was just an unlootable cupboard, one of those that are perched above another cupboard but now that I think about it , prob was just the looting distance, my char is as short as the slider would make her
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • Ageless
    Ageless
    ✭✭✭
    But then the really odd thing, happens when you enter the bank of Shornhelm, in Rivenspire. from before the desk you can reach the cooking fire, but turning to the left or right, you cannot interact with the dressers standing there. The cooking fire is at the same distance as those dressers.

(What a cooking fire is doing in a bank is something for a different discussion. ;))
    Jord.

As I burn down and murder, I know that God forgives.
    'Spite all the things I've done my soul yet forever lives.
    And all those caught in the shadow of my wings have cause to fear.
    I swear on all I've done, no evil shall linger here.

• Insanyti
    Insanyti
    ✭✭✭
    It's only containers that have been affected by the new range/distance requirement.

You can still use cooking fires, talk to NPCs, etc from the same distance away.