Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

ZOS why charge 20 dollars to transfer to console?

• daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3608/kw/console subscription
    The update date on that FAQ is not when they wrote the first part.

Thanks!

Here it is then:

IF I WANT TO PLAY ON PC AND A CONSOLE, DO I HAVE TO BUY TWO COPIES OF THE GAME AND PAY FOR TWO SUBSCRIPTIONS?
    Updated 04/03/2014 11:46 PM Published 12/19/2013 12:48 AM
    Yes. In order to play The Elder Scrolls Online on both PC/Mac and console, players will need to have two separate accounts and subscriptions: one for PC/Mac and one for the console of their choice.

Players can use both the PC and the Mac game clients on one account, but an account may only be logged in to one machine at a time. However, console Megaservers are separated between PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, so players who want to play on both of those systems will need different accounts for each

Sigh.

Well, they also said the Console version would be released in June initially, so hopefully things can still evolve.

The EU and NA megaservers are "separated" as well, but don't require separate accounts. Never really seen ANY MMO require a separate account for the same content, but different servers, in fact.

Stupid, short-sighted policy IMO.
    This message confirms that you have successfully cancelled your subscription to The Elder Scrolls Online. You will no longer be charged for a subscription on a recurring basis, and your access to the game will expire at the end of your current subscription cycle.

We're sad to see you go now, but we'll be happy to welcome you back at any time! Whenever you're ready to come back, your characters will be waiting for you, just like you left them. You can return anytime by resubscribing on the Manage Subscription page on your Elder Scrolls Online account.

Please print this email and keep it for your records.
  • Reignskream
    Reignskream
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3608/kw/console subscription

Thanks!

Here it is then:

IF I WANT TO PLAY ON PC AND A CONSOLE, DO I HAVE TO BUY TWO COPIES OF THE GAME AND PAY FOR TWO SUBSCRIPTIONS?
    Yes. In order to play The Elder Scrolls Online on both PC/Mac and console, players will need to have two separate accounts and subscriptions: one for PC/Mac and one for the console of their choice.

Players can use both the PC and the Mac game clients on one account, but an account may only be logged in to one machine at a time. However, console Megaservers are separated between PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, so players who want to play on both of those systems will need different accounts for each

Sigh.

Well, they also said the Console version would be released in June initially, so hopefully things can still evolve.

The EU and NA megaservers are "separated" as well, but don't require separate accounts. Never really seen ANY MMO require a separate account for the same content, but different servers, in fact.

They're not allowing people to screw them over by getting the game on console for free, it makes perfect sense. The Eu/Na servers are two of the same features on the computer. You can't double charge them for using the same system. Only two different systems.

That is why a PC is not a console.
    Edited by Reignskream on 22 May 2014 16:50
  • daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They're not allowing people to screw them over by getting the game on console for free, it makes perfect sense. The Eu/Na servers are two of the same features on the computer. You can't double charge them for using the same system. Only two different systems.

What? Do you think they hired an entire duplicate set of programmers, voice actors, designers, built completely different and unique servers, for the console game??? You honestly think it's DOUBLE the cost to provide--so it requires DOUBLE the subscription?

As I've said, multiple times--the game is the same in 95%+ aspects. No one is screwing anyone over--they're paying to log into an ESO server every month, just like in countless MMOs. They're paying for the Client side software. They can't play both at once. No one is getting anything for free or screwing anyone over.

Except Zeni maybe. At the very least, they're being short sighted and customer-unfriendly. It's still like they don't understand MMOs. This is a policy that will result in little profit and no public relations benefit and put them at a competitive disadvantage to F2P games that come along offering access to both-- vs --- a customer positive move that could help with player retention, encourage more people with friends playing on different platforms to subscribe as they'd be available on their platform too, and would be a public relations and competitive plus.

Edited by daneyulebub17_ESO on 22 May 2014 17:08
    This message confirms that you have successfully cancelled your subscription to The Elder Scrolls Online. You will no longer be charged for a subscription on a recurring basis, and your access to the game will expire at the end of your current subscription cycle.

We're sad to see you go now, but we'll be happy to welcome you back at any time! Whenever you're ready to come back, your characters will be waiting for you, just like you left them. You can return anytime by resubscribing on the Manage Subscription page on your Elder Scrolls Online account.

• KrisButtar
    KrisButtar
    ✭✭✭

Thanks!

Here it is then:

Sigh.

Just want to point out that we are not getting the console version for free we are paying $20.

Transferring my character from PS3 to PS4 with FF14 was free and upgrading to the newer version was also free. I'm also one of the few who would play ESO on PC and PS4 as I got 2 playing on PC and 15 waiting for PS4. I'm not sure why the extra sub, people say different servers but I have characters in FF14 on 8 different servers which are completely separate and they don't cost me extra.

To everyone above thank you for clearing up that it has not been said by Zeni that the PC version deactivates when you grab the PS4 version.

Edited by KrisButtar on 22 May 2014 17:08
  • Reignskream
    Reignskream
    ✭✭✭✭
    Exactly, and you guys are lucky your not paying for another 60 dollar game, you have no idea how lucky you are. That doesn't happen often, if at all. This is not Final fantasy.
    Edited by Reignskream on 22 May 2014 17:10
  • Reignskream
    Reignskream
    ✭✭✭✭

What? Do you think they hired an entire duplicate set of programmers, voice actors, designers, built completely different and unique servers, for the console game??? You honestly think it's DOUBLE the cost to provide--so it requires DOUBLE the subscription?

As I've said, multiple times--the game is the same in 95%+ aspects. No one is screwing anyone over--they're paying to log into an ESO server every month, just like in countless MMOs. They're paying for the Client side software. They can't play both at once. No one is getting anything for free or screwing anyone over.

Except Zeni maybe. At the very least, they're being short sighted and customer-unfriendly. It's still like they don't understand MMOs. This is a policy that will result in little profit and no public relations benefit and put them at a competitive disadvantage to F2P games that come along offering access to both-- vs --- a customer positive move that could help with player retention, encourage more people with friends playing on different platforms to subscribe as they'd be available on their platform too, and would be a public relations and competitive plus.
    Exactly, and you guys are lucky your not paying for another 60 dollar game, you have no idea how lucky you are. That doesn't happen often, if at all. And the fact that people have the nerve to whine about it is utterly spoiled.

• daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The $20.00 (or $5.00) is a temporary offer. It's not the policy-in the future, they'll be paying for all the client software they plan to use.

And of course--users will be paying to access the exact same game content if happens to be on a different server.

Oh--wait.

Except in the case of EU users who want to play on the NA server or vice-versa. Those are completely different severs, but that's ok. In that case, they pay $0.00 each month to play on different servers. So it can't be the server difference.

I guess I mean--they'll have to pay because the CLIENT software is different.

Oh--wait.

Except Mac vs PC players. Client software is different. But that's ok. Switching between Mac and PC, users pay $0.00 extra each month even though they play on different client software and the accompanying supporting infrastructure.

So... I guess I really mean--if they want to use a different server and a different client to access the exact same content, then it becomes:

$0.00 plus $0.00 = $15.00 extra a month.

Makes perfect sense.

• Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still say this lack of crossplatform is just a issue of ZOS lazyness (like their anti cheating measures, or lack of)

that said this "charge" shows something much more sinister, Intentional Incompetence to drive up profits... like a exterminator intentionally leaving a part of a infestation to get repeat business.

i would really hate to think thats what ZOS is pulling here.
    I play every class in every situation. I love them all.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still say this lack of crossplatform is just a issue of ZOS lazyness (like their anti cheating measures, or lack of)

that said this "charge" shows something much more sinister, Intentional Incompetence to drive up profits... like a exterminator intentionally leaving a part of a infestation to get repeat business.

i would really hate to think thats what ZOS is pulling here.

They lost money with this. The console version was originally going to be full price, regardless of whether you already had the PC version. They lost $40 per PC customer who was going to buy the console version in June.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Reignskream
    Reignskream
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're pulling nothing besides you guys getting a game on a different console for 40 dollars cheaper, AND you get to xfer your main if you desire.
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    still need a copy of the console version to run it

even if thats a free download, the idea of charging to access server side data on different hardware is silly, considering that Console/PC/Etc cross platform MMOs already exist. the fact they segregated them at all shows something rather undesirable in terms of providing a service.
    I play every class in every situation. I love them all.
  • Alpha_Protocol
    Alpha_Protocol
    ✭✭✭
    METALPUNKS wrote: »
    I'm very very happy I could transfer my pc progression onto my ps4 account when the time come. Now instead of waiting 6 months to play I get to play now and it counts! Awesome thanks! That said why am I paying 20 dollars to do so. I already bought the game for 60 dollars and bought the Imperial Edition upgrade for 20. I know we get another free 30 days when we transfer which brings it down to paying 5 dollars but still why is there any charge at all? I really want to know? Is this coming from Sony so they don't lose out on any profit. I'm not sure how that all works, I just play games but I can't help but to feel it should be free. I don't mind paying for something when I need to, I just cannot see why I'm paying for a transfer, I've already payed for everything. By the time 6 months is up and the time comes for me to transfer to ps4 I will have sunk 200 dollars total into the game, well worth it in my opinion but that 5 bucks is gonna bug me. Please explain.

ever heard of Microsoft or Sony? Maybe you should ask them?
  • KrisButtar
    KrisButtar
    ✭✭✭
    still need a copy of the console version to run it

even if thats a free download, the idea of charging to access server side data on different hardware is silly, considering that Console/PC/Etc cross platform MMOs already exist. the fact they segregated them at all shows something rather undesirable in terms of providing a service.

This 100%, I do not know of a single example of a MMO that you need to pay $30 a month because want to play on PC and console.
    Exactly, and you guys are lucky your not paying for another 60 dollar game, you have no idea how lucky you are. That doesn't happen often, if at all. This is not Final fantasy.

How am I lucky? Sure it looks like we are getting a deal but we are not as we already paid $60 for the game and once we pay for the console version and even if PC version is not deactivated it would be $30 a month, so in reality we are paying $60 plus $20 for a single game unless people are going to pay the $30 a month on top of the $80. So us paying more is lucky?

Edited by KrisButtar on 22 May 2014 18:43
  • daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're pulling nothing besides you guys getting a game on a different console for 40 dollars cheaper, AND you get to xfer your main if you desire.

Yeah. The $15.00 extra a month is just an illusion.

• Reignskream
    Reignskream
    ✭✭✭✭

As you should be paying extra 15 dollars. the PC is not a ps4 or xbox1. Accept it. You pay for one or the other, or pay for both. Whichever your choice, there is no need to whine about it, as your getting away with paying for another full version game.

Count your blessings.
    Edited by Reignskream on 22 May 2014 18:53
  • daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As you should be paying extra 15 dollars. the PC is not a ps4 or xbox1. Accept it. You pay for one or the other, or pay for both. Whichever your choice, there is no need to whine about it, as your getting away with paying for another full version game.

Count your blessings.

ARGGGHHH!!!!!!

No. It's not another FULL version of the game. It's two subs that I can only use ONE of at a time, for the exact same content. Period.

Edited by daneyulebub17_ESO on 22 May 2014 19:06

• KrisButtar
    KrisButtar
    ✭✭✭

Count your blessings.

A Mac is not a PC, so you believe the need to pay $30 a month to play on each of those?

All subscription MMOs that came to console I know of have only ever asked for the single sub even when offered on other platforms. You have DCUO before it went F2P, FF11 can be played on Xbox, PlayStation or PC with a single sub and then there is FF14. I'm sure there are more.

• Butcherboy
    Butcherboy
    ✭✭✭
    I understand the $20.00 (really $5.00) for the work involved in the transfer process plus covering the software costs. I wouldn't care if it was higher.

The BIG RIP OFF will be if you can't have both platforms on the same account and they expect you to pay for 2 subscriptions. Since you can only be logged in to the same account twice, there's no reason to not to allow you to have both platforms available on the same account. Fine if you can't have the same characters, but to make you pay for an entire second subscription because you want to be able to log on to one or the other would be a complete money grab.

There is no game in the world that will let you combine accounts for two entirely different versions of the game. The console version is a separate game. Even if you use the same account for both PC and console, it will still be a totally separate, distinct set of servers and players.

You are incorrect:
    FFXI and FFXIV both support multiplatform gaming, as in you can play on XBOX*, PC, or PS4 with the same characters on your account regardless of which platform you log into - but you have to pay per character, in addition to paying for the account.

*Okay you can't play FFXIV on the XBOX at all, because SONY.
    Check out our Guildex page!
    Do you PvP? You should check EsoStats first!
  • KrisButtar
    KrisButtar
    ✭✭✭
    Butcherboy wrote: »
    I understand the $20.00 (really $5.00) for the work involved in the transfer process plus covering the software costs. I wouldn't care if it was higher.

The BIG RIP OFF will be if you can't have both platforms on the same account and they expect you to pay for 2 subscriptions. Since you can only be logged in to the same account twice, there's no reason to not to allow you to have both platforms available on the same account. Fine if you can't have the same characters, but to make you pay for an entire second subscription because you want to be able to log on to one or the other would be a complete money grab.

There is no game in the world that will let you combine accounts for two entirely different versions of the game. The console version is a separate game. Even if you use the same account for both PC and console, it will still be a totally separate, distinct set of servers and players.

You are incorrect:
    FFXI and FFXIV both support multiplatform gaming, as in you can play on XBOX*, PC, or PS4 with the same characters on your account regardless of which platform you log into - but you have to pay per character, in addition to paying for the account.

*Okay you can't play FFXIV on the XBOX at all, because SONY.

Ah I see what your saying, since Zeni has divided us all they can charge us all more times.

FF14 is not on Xbox because Microsoft wouldn't allow SquareEnix to use their servers instead of XBL even though FF11 uses SE servers. SE wanted a community and to use there servers so everyone was connected. SE have been public about the reason and I believe they said if Microsoft would allow them to use there servers they would put the game on Xbox. Fixed that for you
  • METALPUNKS
    METALPUNKS
    ✭✭✭
    KrisButtar wrote: »
    I only bought the PC version because of the delay. I'm cool with transferring my character to the PS4 for $20 but I was under the impression that if I choose to stay subbed on PC I could and well as the PS4. Yes sub fees would be like $30 a month but I was OK with that. I had no idea the PC version would be deactivated and would have to pay another $60 to continue to play it on the PC. Now knowing that I wish I didn't buy the PC version and waited. Feels like they pulled a fast one on me :(

I haven't heard anything about "deactivating" the PC account, but I assume that your transferred characters will no longer be available. I'd generally avoid taking anything this OP says seriously, because he's got his facts all kinds of wrong.

Dude or not dude my facts are coming straight from support when I called them so take them as you will.
  • KrisButtar
    KrisButtar
    ✭✭✭
    even those games you mentioned are multiplatform and you can have different characters on them and on different servers. so I see zeni could offer the service across all devices. I'm likely to pay the 30 for a couple months and drop my PC. too bad really met some nice people
  • epoling
    epoling
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS has stated many times that SOE and Microsoft are the reason that you aren't seeing all platforms on one server. If you want to play any device on any server you need to take it up with those two companies. Microsoft doesn't want SOE's data touching it's device in any way and vice versa. Thus the need for three separate servers, which means there are all the costs for three separate megaservers. They have to pay for them somehow.
  • dietlime
    dietlime
    ✭✭✭✭
    dietlime wrote: »

2 computers, you can compare. A console & a computer, you cannot.

Originally coined the "Microsoft Direct-X Box" the shortened "Xbox" was Microsoft's attempt at making computer gaming more accessible and affordable.

The PS4 is a fairly standard computer, the PS3 and Xbox One both had some proprietary architecture, in their processor and memory design; but they actually use generally the same graphics libraries PC's do.

This is why the Xbox One is underwhelming now, and the PS3 didn't shine until it's later years. Utilizing that proprietary hardware is going to take time: because it's not in line with traditional computer setups.

We know PC's & consoles have the same hardware, mk. But clearly they're still two different systems. I knew someone would bring up the technical side of things, It still doesn't make them equal in the least.

they're 2 different systems. /thread

I additionally explained the difference between the platforms and why you have to pay to play the game on the console even though you already own it for the PC.

• dietlime
    dietlime
    ✭✭✭✭

You're assuming that people wanted to play both platforms. Generally, people either want to play PC or play console, especially when it comes to multiplayer. You just want to get things for free.

Where did I say I want to get anything for free? I said I'd be fine to buy the client software which compensates for the different architecture on the client machines. And I'm fine to pay my sub to play ESO.

I'm NOT fine with paying two identical subs for what are essentially identical servers in every respect regarding content, which is at least 90% of the cost of the game development, that I can only use one at a time of after buying the client software for my particular system.

Of course, people "generally" play one or the other. But not exclusively, and people have different social groups they play with, or sometimes just like a change, or have other reasons. As I said in my previous post, to lock people out of this in the long run is an idiotic move that provides little cash benefit and lots of potential for player attrition.

What if they (god forbid) go F2P? It would be open to everyone then, just like DC Universe will be and other cross-platform F2P MMOs will be. Yet another reason it's simply shooting themselves in the foot to lock people out of playing the way they prefer at any given time, just to squeeze a tiny amount of people willing to pay both. People paying subscriptions expect VIP treatment, not LESS optons than the f2p gamers get.

But...no matter what people say with their un-cited quotes, I have yet to find anything close to an official statement on the policy.

Unfortunately Microsoft or Sony wouldn't make any money this way. Maybe you should just be a PC gamer.
  • shmcphrsnb14a_ESO
    shmcphrsnb14a_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    [Moderation: Content removed for advertising non-ESO products.]
    Edited by ZOS_CarolusS on 22 May 2014 21:20
  • Rocksteady
    Rocksteady
    ✭✭✭

If you want to play both on PC and console, then get ready to pay two subscription fees. And please don't act like this is news to you or as though this is a "shady" business practice. This is how it always works with PC/console games.

Right--of the MILLIONS of console/pc mmo's out there (<---sarcasm) none allow you to play both. It's against the laws of physics, and it's been done for hundreds of years, so of course it has to be this way (<---more sarcasm)

What if, as they had originally toyed with, consoles and pc's were on the same servers? What then?
    Even if you use the same account for both PC and console, it will still be a totally separate, distinct set of servers and players.

Uh--I can play on both the EU server and NA ones without a separate sub. In most MMOs, you can choose among dozens of servers without a separate sub. The separate server has nothing to do with it.

And it's NOT a completely different game. It's the same landscape, the same character generation and models, same Voice Acting, the same quests, the same pretty much everything except the physical servers and network/interface changes needed to work on the console networks (I don't count the changes on the client-side software as that's part of paying for the copy of the game). They've pretty much designed the GUI to work on both from the ground up. The two "games" are 90% the same, and from the user experience likely %95 the same. Saying otherwise is hyperbole.

You can't log in to two subs at once. You are never getting the benefit of using two accounts at once. You paid for both games. This should be treated more like the Mac/PC versions more than two completely different MMOs.

Despite what you said about NO GAME IN THE WORLD(!!!) lets you combine accounts, the fact is this is one of the very,very, very few subscription MMOs to ever work on console and PC. They are setting precedents here. To require two subs actually is shady and greedy. Surprised so many seem willing to bend over and let them do it.

Most MMOs also charge you for a server transfer and you lose that character on the original server... Around $20(maybe $15) has been the going rate since 1999

EDIT- Also, the way EQ worked(MMO I'm most familiar with) you didnt get to take any items with you. So... ya
    Edited by Rocksteady on 22 May 2014 21:25
    "Their stupidity does not amaze me, its when they're smart that amazes me. It's baffling whenever you find someone who's smart — incredible. Soon you'll have zoos for such things." -Frank Zappa
  • daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    epoling wrote: »
    ZOS has stated many times that SOE and Microsoft are the reason that you aren't seeing all platforms on one server. If you want to play any device on any server you need to take it up with those two companies. Microsoft doesn't want SOE's data touching it's device in any way and vice versa. Thus the need for three separate servers, which means there are all the costs for three separate megaservers. They have to pay for them somehow.

They have to pay for them somehow???

How about the (normal) price for the client software, plus the freaking subscription.

No matter what SOE and Microsoft charge, the cost of developing the GAME--and maintaining it--are the big costs here. At the least--at the very, very least--there should be an option to subscribe to both for, say, $20.00 a month--the extra five dollars covering the cost of the Sony/Microsoft stuff.

To double it---when the quests, landscape, 99% of development, voice acting, etc., etc. is the very SAME--and only one sub can be used at a time--- is gouging pure and simple.

I really am starting to think anyone who argues otherwise either works for Sony, Microsoft, Zeni, or have absolutely no concept of fair value and price gouging.
    Edited by daneyulebub17_ESO on 23 May 2014 00:27

• scriber
    scriber
    So by OPs logic I should be able to buy ANY game that is on any platform and then play it for free on another platform? Well, I mean, I can see where that is appealing, but that's not how things work. And I wouldn't expect them to.

Talk of this being unfair reminds me of the people who would come up to my register and point out that the container of hummus/mayo/whatever has a raised portion in the bottom of the container, and thus they were getting "ripped off", failing to consider that the product is sold by weight and not volume (meaning, with or without that raised portion you're getting the same dang amount.)

Honestly it's a really good deal - you're getting a second game for a third of the price than if you'd just bought it off the shelf. I don't see the problem, and suspect that it's either a lack of understanding or a sense of entitlement (or a combination of both) that makes this seem somehow unfair. I can't buy the new Dragon Age title for my PC and then expect to be able to play it on console for free (again - not that I don't get how that would be appealing, and it WOULD be nice if things worked that way, but they just don't. Different companies, yadda yadda.) The only way it would be comparable to "buying a new PC and having to pay again" would be if you had to buy a whole new account, but you don't.
  • KrisButtar
    KrisButtar
    ✭✭✭
    scriber wrote: »
    So by OPs logic I should be able to buy ANY game that is on any platform and then play it for free on another platform? Well, I mean, I can see where that is appealing, but that's not how things work. And I wouldn't expect them to.

Talk of this being unfair reminds me of the people who would come up to my register and point out that the container of hummus/mayo/whatever has a raised portion in the bottom of the container, and thus they were getting "ripped off", failing to consider that the product is sold by weight and not volume (meaning, with or without that raised portion you're getting the same dang amount.)

Honestly it's a really good deal - you're getting a second game for a third of the price than if you'd just bought it off the shelf. I don't see the problem, and suspect that it's either a lack of understanding or a sense of entitlement (or a combination of both) that makes this seem somehow unfair. I can't buy the new Dragon Age title for my PC and then expect to be able to play it on console for free (again - not that I don't get how that would be appealing, and it WOULD be nice if things worked that way, but they just don't. Different companies, yadda yadda.) The only way it would be comparable to "buying a new PC and having to pay again" would be if you had to buy a whole new account, but you don't.

It is not a good deal is the part everyone doesn't seem to understand stand here, as you are not getting 2 games as the 1st one becomes a coaster for a drink. So we are still only getting a single game and have actually paid $20 more. Hell if the subscription was not involved I would agree it is a great deal but its not they go hand in hand. Then the sub is doubled on top of that. I also still have my PS4 CE version on preorder on top of having the CE for PC.

I would much rather pay full price for each version and have my sub account across all platforms like I did with owning FF14, i have bought it on PS3(2 copies), used a PS3 version to upgrade PS4 and PC with 8 different characters on 8 different servers but only pay one sub.

As you can see I'm fine with paying full price for the games its the added sub fees, I'm not cool with and will make me leave the PC version. People need to stop whining and saying this is a deal when it clearly in not.

• esoone
    esoone
    ✭✭✭
    20 isnt much for a mmo were your basicly with a handfull of people left playing.