Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

ZOS why charge 20 dollars to transfer to console?

• Rocksteady
    Rocksteady
    ✭✭✭
    KrisButtar wrote: »
    I only bought the PC version because of the delay. I'm cool with transferring my character to the PS4 for $20 but I was under the impression that if I choose to stay subbed on PC I could and well as the PS4. Yes sub fees would be like $30 a month but I was OK with that. I had no idea the PC version would be deactivated and would have to pay another $60 to continue to play it on the PC. Now knowing that I wish I didn't buy the PC version and waited. Feels like they pulled a fast one on me :(

They did, now it's too late to turn around. Always research prior to entering credit card info *shrug* Buyer Beware!

"Their stupidity does not amaze me, its when they're smart that amazes me. It's baffling whenever you find someone who's smart — incredible. Soon you'll have zoos for such things." -Frank Zappa
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only bought the PC version because of the delay. I'm cool with transferring my character to the PS4 for $20 but I was under the impression that if I choose to stay subbed on PC I could and well as the PS4. Yes sub fees would be like $30 a month but I was OK with that. I had no idea the PC version would be deactivated and would have to pay another $60 to continue to play it on the PC. Now knowing that I wish I didn't buy the PC version and waited. Feels like they pulled a fast one on me :(

I haven't heard anything about "deactivating" the PC account, but I assume that your transferred characters will no longer be available. I'd generally avoid taking anything this OP says seriously, because he's got his facts all kinds of wrong.
    ----
    Murray?
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I heard somewhere - probably elderscrollsofftherecord podcast - that the PC Version would NOT be deactivated and you could continue to play both.

• daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand the $20.00 (really $5.00) for the work involved in the transfer process plus covering the software costs. I wouldn't care if it was higher.

The BIG RIP OFF will be if you can't have both platforms on the same account and they expect you to pay for 2 subscriptions. Since you can only be logged in and play on the same account once, there's no reason to not allow you to have both platforms available on the same account. Fine if you can't have the same characters, but to make you pay for an entire second subscription because you want to be able to log on to one or the other would be a complete money grab.
    Edited by daneyulebub17_ESO on 22 May 2014 16:50
    This message confirms that you have successfully cancelled your subscription to The Elder Scrolls Online. You will no longer be charged for a subscription on a recurring basis, and your access to the game will expire at the end of your current subscription cycle.

We're sad to see you go now, but we'll be happy to welcome you back at any time! Whenever you're ready to come back, your characters will be waiting for you, just like you left them. You can return anytime by resubscribing on the Manage Subscription page on your Elder Scrolls Online account.

Please print this email and keep it for your records.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand the $20.00 (really $5.00) for the work involved in the transfer process plus covering the software costs. I wouldn't care if it was higher.

The BIG RIP OFF will be if you can't have both platforms on the same account and they expect you to pay for 2 subscriptions. Since you can only be logged in to the same account twice, there's no reason to not to allow you to have both platforms available on the same account. Fine if you can't have the same characters, but to make you pay for an entire second subscription because you want to be able to log on to one or the other would be a complete money grab.

There is no game in the world that will let you combine accounts for two entirely different versions of the game. The console version is a separate game. Even if you use the same account for both PC and console, it will still be a totally separate, distinct set of servers and players.

If you want to play both on PC and console, then get ready to pay two subscription fees. And please don't act like this is news to you or as though this is a "shady" business practice. This is how it always works with PC/console games.
    ----
    Murray?
  • darthbelanb14_ESO
    darthbelanb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You can continue to play both, however you will have to start over on the PC if you transfer your characters over to console, at least that's how I read it. You don't have to pay an extra $60. You will have to carry two subs though.
  • Teevesnacks
    Teevesnacks
    ✭✭✭
    You'll pay $20.00 because you want to
  • daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no game in the world that will let you combine accounts for two entirely different versions of the game. The console version is a separate game. Even if you use the same account for both PC and console, it will still be a totally separate, distinct set of servers and players.

If you want to play both on PC and console, then get ready to pay two subscription fees. And please don't act like this is news to you or as though this is a "shady" business practice. This is how it always works with PC/console games.

Right--of the MILLIONS of console/pc mmo's out there (<---sarcasm) none allow you to play both. It's against the laws of physics, and it's been done for hundreds of years, so of course it has to be this way (<---more sarcasm)

What if, as they had originally toyed with, consoles and pc's were on the same servers? What then?
    Even if you use the same account for both PC and console, it will still be a totally separate, distinct set of servers and players.

Uh--I can play on both the EU server and NA ones without a separate sub. In most MMOs, you can choose among dozens of servers without a separate sub. The separate server has nothing to do with it.

And it's NOT a completely different game. It's the same landscape, the same character generation and models, same Voice Acting, the same quests, the same pretty much everything except the physical servers and network/interface changes needed to work on the console networks (I don't count the changes on the client-side software as that's part of paying for the copy of the game). They've pretty much designed the GUI to work on both from the ground up. The two "games" are 90% the same, and from the user experience likely %95 the same. Saying otherwise is hyperbole.

You can't log in to two subs at once. You are never getting the benefit of using two accounts at once. You paid for both games. This should be treated more like the Mac/PC versions more than two completely different MMOs.

Despite what you said about NO GAME IN THE WORLD(!!!) lets you combine accounts, the fact is this is one of the very,very, very few subscription MMOs to ever work on console and PC. They are setting precedents here. To require two subs actually is shady and greedy. Surprised so many seem willing to bend over and let them do it.
    Edited by daneyulebub17_ESO on 22 May 2014 13:59
    This message confirms that you have successfully cancelled your subscription to The Elder Scrolls Online. You will no longer be charged for a subscription on a recurring basis, and your access to the game will expire at the end of your current subscription cycle.

We're sad to see you go now, but we'll be happy to welcome you back at any time! Whenever you're ready to come back, your characters will be waiting for you, just like you left them. You can return anytime by resubscribing on the Manage Subscription page on your Elder Scrolls Online account.

• nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why you think you wouldn't be able to log in to your PC and console clients at the same time on the same account. Why you'd want/need to is a more valid question, but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to.

And I know that you desperately want to be given things for free, but it ain't happening. The console servers are separate and distinct from the PC servers, so you're paying a separate and distinct subscription fee to access those servers. This should not be news to you, since they've been saying that this is how it will be since they announced the console version of the game.
    ----
    Murray?
  • RianaTheBosmer
    RianaTheBosmer
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm really surprised that they're doing it this way. I think that both copies should be active if there is an active sub on both. Maybe they should come up with a deal, 25.00 per month to play on both systems.
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swampster wrote: »
    What would be REALLY nice.. while obviously not allowing play on the same platform, the stats/progress of a character could pass back and forth between plaforms. So you could pick up last night's play on the console the following day on a PC. You'd obviously require 2 subs, or a premium for the service on a monthly basis to make it worthwhile for ZOS.

I know.. never gonna happen, but it would be nice! :)

Loves the idea! Too bad the servers can't do that, they'd should've spent more money on this rather than wasting time on VR.
    People keep telling me they're gonna buy me an ale. They never do.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

Help make this compilation complete!
    Compilation of Ideas and Suggestions
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm really surprised that they're doing it this way. I think that both copies should be active if there is an active sub on both. Maybe they should come up with a deal, 25.00 per month to play on both systems.

Both copies are active. Where are you guys getting this nonsense about the PC copy being deactivated?
    ----
    Murray?
  • Bolo_Bob
    Bolo_Bob
    ✭✭✭
    SFBryan18 wrote: »
    I was surprised they made the digital console version so cheap if you buy the PC version. I bought this game on PC right after I read that, since I had been waiting for the PS4 version anyways. Level up characters before it ever comes out, and then get the console version for $20. Good deal. Now if they'd just give me a monkey too...

i want a monkey too, because beta testing isnt over yet.

i want a goblin pet also, for all the bots i have reported. ( or turkey pet would work)

Edited by Bolo_Bob on 22 May 2014 13:51
  • daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why you think you wouldn't be able to log in to your PC and console clients at the same time on the same account. Why you'd want/need to is a more valid question, but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to.

And I know that you desperately want to be given things for free, but it ain't happening. The console servers are separate and distinct from the PC servers, so you're paying a separate and distinct subscription fee to access those servers. This should not be news to you, since they've been saying that this is how it will be since they announced the console version of the game.

Sheesh? Really? So... right now, you can log in twice on two pcs, to the same account, and play? Did you really just ask that?

The only people getting something for free would be Zeni--getting people to sub twice, and only use one sub at a time, for essentially the same exact thing.

This is, of course, assuming that's what they do. So far, I've yet to see a concrete statement from them on the matter.

• daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Both copies are active. Where are you guys getting this nonsense about the PC copy being deactivated?

And... you've seen this stated where?

• Inupis
    Inupis
    ✭✭✭
    Wish I could pay $20 for a second account.
  • Aci
    Aci
    ✭✭✭
    Hm.
    You guys discuss on a topic no one knows nothing
    Could lead to the conclusion "You are arguing about nothing"
    Must be mmo players!
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sheesh? Really? So... right now, you can log in twice on two pcs, to the same account, and play? Did you really just ask that?

The only people getting something for free would be Zeni--getting people to sub twice, and only use one sub at a time, for essentially the same exact thing.

This is, of course, assuming that's what they do. So far, I've yet to see a concrete statement from them on the matter.

You can't log in to two PCs on the same account, because that's the same client. The console is a totally separate client, subscription and megaserver. So there's no reason that you shouldn't be able to be logged in on your PC and on your console at the same time. There's no conflict.

And... you've seen this stated where?

In the official press release about the console launch delay. They said you can transfer characters, and they said nothing about "deactivating" your active PC account. Which would be something they'd need to mention.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Reignskream
    Reignskream
    ✭✭✭✭
    Think about it like this: Their PC player base is quitting fast... they did this to get the Console players to get the game now, not in 6 months when it will be clear that most players left....

Its mostly a cash grab... they know you won`t buy it in 6 months after its clear that you have more bots than players and that people are using hacks with no way for them to stop it. So they did this to get anyone who is going to buy the game to buy it now.

They need to wait 1 year for F2P but you can bet that its coming based on the population of my guild + the trading guilds i am in.

People no longer care, then even started using the hacks in PvP in the open to steal Scrolls... they know they will get reported and maybe banned but they also know they are quitting so why not?

Then they are just as bad as the bots,
    METALPUNKS wrote: »
    METALPUNKS wrote: »
    Because the computer is not the console, and you bought the game for the computer.

Be happy they're even doing something like this, as i don't believe most would. Your lucky IMO that your not paying 60 dollars for a new game.

Ok so then the 20 dollars is for the upgrade. I'm not complaining will pay the money but you can't see where I'm coming from? I've already purchased the game. Here's the thing. I bought the pc game just so I can play on ps4 later. Once I start playing on pc I will never touch the pc version.

Would you be cool with someone charging you 20 dollars because you bought a new computer and wanted to transfer your characters to it?

Here's what would make this ok in my eyes. We pay for the transfer but can still play on pc as well if we wanted. So once you transfer does it lock out the pc version? If so why?

I don't see where your coming from, because if I want to play a game for the computer, I buy it for the computer. If i want to play a game on the console, I buy it on the console.

I never buy the same game for both systems. It's the same game, why waste money? By your logic you should be able to xfer for free because you paid for the game on PC already. That is your own fault I'm sorry to say, as you were too impatient and couldn't wait for the PS4 release.

Why would anybody charge me 20 dollars to xfer my chars over from one pc to another when all i would have to do is install the game and log on with my account, that logic makes no sense, and you can't ask a question like that with 2 completely different ended systems.

So basically your getting away with having to pay for another 60 dollar game, only by paying 20. And you want to be able to xfer your char to PS4, and still have your char on PC? That's making a copy of your character, not xfering your character.

Sorry I just don't see your logic here lol. Sure I cannot wait. I don't want to wait SIX months,I didn't wait. From my understanding once I pay 20 dollars to activate the ps4 version the pc version will no longer be active. That means I'm paying 20 extra dollars for a game I already paid for. If I could play on both systems then that would be awesome and I would be getting a major deal. That's what I want to know from ZOS.

It's the exact same thing if you bought a new computer. Do you need to pay 20 bucks to play this game on a new computer? NO. Sony or pc it is not relevant. It that I'm paying 20 dollars for a game I already paid for. You say I'm lucky I don't have to pay full price. I would not mind paying full price at all if and only if I get to keep both versions of the game but that's not the case. I'm paying 20 dollars to play the same exact game on a device, with the other device becoming deactivated.
    So in the end I'm paying 80 dollars to play the exact same game.

2 computers, you can compare. A console & a computer, you cannot.

They're not the same thing. Again, your lucky your not paying 60 dollars for a new game, because that's how it usually goes. for you to be able to keep your PC version and ps4 version is stupid as you'd be getting 1 game of eso for your 60 dollars you paid, and another practically free copy for 20 dollars.

A company would not do something like that as they would lose chunks of $$$$. You clearly want things handed to you, and it won't happen. Your PC version will still be active, you just won't have your main there anymore, as it will be on the ps4.

2 subs ftw? That's goofy, and i think you were silly to buy 2 versions of the game, but people lucked out regardless as they're not paying for retail price for the consoles, at least people who xfer from PC aren't.
    Edited by Reignskream on 22 May 2014 15:20
  • dietlime
    dietlime
    ✭✭✭✭

Just realizing console gamers never get a good deal
  • dietlime
    dietlime
    ✭✭✭✭

Originally coined the "Microsoft Direct-X Box" the shortened "Xbox" was Microsoft's attempt at making computer gaming more accessible and affordable.

The PS4 is a fairly standard computer, the PS3 and Xbox One both had some proprietary architecture, in their processor and memory design; but they actually use generally the same graphics libraries PC's do.

This is why the Xbox One is underwhelming now, and the PS3 didn't shine until it's later years. Utilizing that proprietary hardware is going to take time: because it's not in line with traditional computer setups.

Edited by dietlime on 22 May 2014 15:29
  • daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [/quote]

So, you're going to play using your feet with one, and your hands with the other?

Of course you can't play both at the same time in any practical sense. To argue otherwise is just silly. There's no reason to charge for both since players can only use one at a time, they paid for the client software, and the servers are the same other than the networking layer that let's them hook into the appropriate console network. I don't even know how it can be argued they should charge double for access to the same game on a different server unlike other MMOs. Charge for the client software--fine. Not the subscription to the server employing the same exact game.

They haven't commented or committed one way or the other yet anyway. We'll have to see what they do.

• nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So, you're going to play using your feet with one, and your hands with the other?

Of course you can't play both at the same time in any practical sense. To argue otherwise is just silly. There's no reason to charge for both since players can only use one at a time, they paid for the client software, and the servers are the same other than the networking layer that let's them hook into the appropriate console network. I don't even know how it can be argued they should charge double for access to the same game on a different server unlike other MMOs. Charge for the client software--fine. Not the subscription to the server employing the same exact game.

They haven't commented or committed one way or the other yet anyway. We'll have to see what they do.

Well at least you've abandoned your argument that it wouldn't be possible. It's not practical, but both clients can be active at the same time. And every other MMO will make you use a separate client/subscription for the console version. That's how it works.

Oh, and they did commit one way a long time ago. Consoles will pay a separate subscription fee.
    Edited by nerevarine1138 on 22 May 2014 15:30
    ----
    Murray?
  • Xilc
    Xilc
    ✭✭✭
    Because they're doing it in their self-interest (as defined by economics). If you really want to transfer it onto PS4, you'll pay it, regardless if it's too much or not. You can't criticize a business for trying to make money (well, I guess you can... :|), because they're acting in their own self interest.
  • daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xilc wrote: »
    Because they're doing it in their self-interest (as defined by economics). If you really want to transfer it onto PS4, you'll pay it, regardless if it's too much or not. You can't criticize a business for trying to make money (well, I guess you can... :|), because they're acting in their own self interest.

How is it acting in their own self -interest?

How many people will pay for two subs? I'm guessing very, very few. They'll pick one or the other. So, Zeni gets very little in the way of "double-subscribers".

What Zeni will lose is the potential retention of players who have friends on multiple platforms who would possibly keep their subs longer if they had the option of playing with different social groups on the different platforms. Or just want to sometimes sit on the couch and play sometimes. Or have a single pc and a console in their household, and share one so occasionally want to play on the other. Few are likely to pay double every month for that option, but a number will likely KEEP playing if that's an option to them as it will prolong their interest in the game. Even if having the option keeps people interested and active in the game another couple of months, it would probably net them more than the tiny amount of dual subscribers would.

MMO's are all about keeping players interested in playing. That means giving them a wide choice of where, how and who to play with, not limiting it.

I have friends and family who don't have gaming computers, or just prefer consoles. I prefer PC and will not pay for a second account. But... if I could jump on the console and play with them without incurring double my monthly costs or giving up my pc version, that would be incentive for me to encourage them to get the game, and I know at least one person who would because I'd be able to play with them. As of now, I have no incentive to encourage them to get the game. Net loss: Zeni.

Not to mention the public relations plus it would be, and the competitive advantage it steals from the next MMO to provide cross-platform support.

Also---- I'm fine for people to have to pay for the client software for their preferred platforms. Of course--that's NOT going to happen for most people if in addition they will incur a second monthly sub. They'll buy one or the other. So--again, another $$$ loss for Zeni in terms of client software sales. People will buy one, or the other, not both in most cases after this $5.00 deal is past.

All in all, there's really little to gain by gouging customers by attempting to make them pay twice for the same game content in the long run, and a lot to be gained by letting people play on both.

• Reignskream
    Reignskream
    ✭✭✭✭
    dietlime wrote: »

Originally coined the "Microsoft Direct-X Box" the shortened "Xbox" was Microsoft's attempt at making computer gaming more accessible and affordable.

The PS4 is a fairly standard computer, the PS3 and Xbox One both had some proprietary architecture, in their processor and memory design; but they actually use generally the same graphics libraries PC's do.

This is why the Xbox One is underwhelming now, and the PS3 didn't shine until it's later years. Utilizing that proprietary hardware is going to take time: because it's not in line with traditional computer setups.

We know PC's & consoles have the same hardware, mk. But clearly they're still two different systems. I knew someone would bring up the technical side of things, It still doesn't make them equal in the least.

they're 2 different systems. /thread

Edited by Reignskream on 22 May 2014 15:57
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xilc wrote: »

How is it acting in their own self -interest?

How many people will pay for two subs? I'm guessing very, very few. They'll pick one or the other. So, Zeni gets very little in the way of "double-subscribers".

What Zeni will lose is the potential retention of players who have friends on multiple platforms who would possibly keep their subs longer if they had the option of playing with different social groups on the different platforms. Or just want to sometimes sit on the couch and play sometimes. Or have a single pc and a console in their household, and share one so occasionally want to play on the other. Few are likely to pay double every month for that option, but a number will likely KEEP playing if that's an option to them as it will prolong their interest in the game. Even if having the option keeps people interested and active in the game another couple of months, it would probably net them more than the tiny amount of dual subscribers would.

MMO's are all about keeping players interested in playing. That means giving them a wide choice of where, how and who to play with, not limiting it.

I have friends and family who don't have gaming computers, or just prefer consoles. I prefer PC and will not pay for a second account. But... if I could jump on the console and play with them without incurring double my monthly costs or giving up my pc version, that would be incentive for me to encourage them to get the game, and I know at least one person who would because I'd be able to play with them. As of now, I have no incentive to encourage them to get the game. Net loss: Zeni.

Not to mention the public relations plus it would be, and the competitive advantage it steals from the next MMO to provide cross-platform support.

Also---- I'm fine for people to have to pay for the client software for their preferred platforms. Of course--that's NOT going to happen for most people if in addition they will incur a second monthly sub. They'll buy one or the other. So--again, another $$$ loss for Zeni in terms of client software sales. People will buy one, or the other, not both in most cases after this $5.00 deal is past.

All in all, there's really little to gain by gouging customers by attempting to make them pay twice for the same game content in the long run, and a lot to be gained by letting people play on both.

You're assuming that people wanted to play both platforms. Generally, people either want to play PC or play console, especially when it comes to multiplayer. You just want to get things for free.
    ----
    Murray?
  • daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're assuming that people wanted to play both platforms. Generally, people either want to play PC or play console, especially when it comes to multiplayer. You just want to get things for free.

Where did I say I want to get anything for free? I said I'd be fine to buy the client software which compensates for the different architecture on the client machines. And I'm fine to pay my sub to play ESO.

I'm NOT fine with paying two identical subs for what are essentially identical servers in every respect regarding content, which is at least 90% of the cost of the game development, that I can only use one at a time of after buying the client software for my particular system.

Of course, people "generally" play one or the other. But not exclusively, and people have different social groups they play with, or sometimes just like a change, or have other reasons. As I said in my previous post, to lock people out of this in the long run is an idiotic move that provides little cash benefit and lots of potential for player attrition.

What if they (god forbid) go F2P? It would be open to everyone then, just like DC Universe will be and other cross-platform F2P MMOs will be. Yet another reason it's simply shooting themselves in the foot to lock people out of playing the way they prefer at any given time, just to squeeze a tiny amount of people willing to pay both. People paying subscriptions expect VIP treatment, not LESS optons than the f2p gamers get.

But...no matter what people say with their un-cited quotes, I have yet to find anything close to an official statement on the policy.

Edited by daneyulebub17_ESO on 22 May 2014 16:22

• daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and they did commit one way a long time ago. Consoles will pay a separate subscription fee.

Please let me know where you saw that. The only official statement I've seen with that text is in FAQs regarding their policy regarding the ESO subscription requiring a separate Playstation Plus too. Not the same thing.

• nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please let me know where you saw that. The only official statement I've seen with that text is in FAQs regarding their policy regarding the ESO subscription requiring a separate Playstation Plus too. Not the same thing.

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3608/kw/console subscription

The update date on that FAQ is not when they wrote the first part.
    Edited by nerevarine1138 on 22 May 2014 16:29
    ----
    Murray?