Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

ZOS why charge 20 dollars to transfer to console?

METALPUNKS
METALPUNKS
✭✭✭
I'm very very happy I could transfer my pc progression onto my ps4 account when the time come. Now instead of waiting 6 months to play I get to play now and it counts! Awesome thanks! That said why am I paying 20 dollars to do so. I already bought the game for 60 dollars and bought the Imperial Edition upgrade for 20. I know we get another free 30 days when we transfer which brings it down to paying 5 dollars but still why is there any charge at all? I really want to know? Is this coming from Sony so they don't lose out on any profit. I'm not sure how that all works, I just play games but I can't help but to feel it should be free. I don't mind paying for something when I need to, I just cannot see why I'm paying for a transfer, I've already payed for everything. By the time 6 months is up and the time comes for me to transfer to ps4 I will have sunk 200 dollars total into the game, well worth it in my opinion but that 5 bucks is gonna bug me. Please explain.
  • Reignskream
    Reignskream
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because the computer is not the console, and you bought the game for the computer.

Be happy they're even doing something like this, as i don't believe most would. Your lucky IMO that your not paying 60 dollars for a new game.
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    The way I understand it, the transfer itself is completely free of charge. But you get to buy the console version at a discount. (20$ instead of whatever the cost might be otherwise)
  • METALPUNKS
    METALPUNKS
    ✭✭✭
    Because the computer is not the console, and you bought the game for the computer.

Be happy they're even doing something like this, as i don't believe most would. Your lucky IMO that your not paying 60 dollars for a new game.

Ok so then the 20 dollars is for the upgrade. I'm not complaining will pay the money but you can't see where I'm coming from? I've already purchased the game. Here's the thing. I bought the pc game just so I can play on ps4 later. Once I start playing on pc I will never touch the pc version.

Would you be cool with someone charging you 20 dollars because you bought a new computer and wanted to transfer your characters to it?

Here's what would make this ok in my eyes. We pay for the transfer but can still play on pc as well if we wanted. So once you transfer does it lock out the pc version? If so why?

• Reykice
    Reykice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think about it like this: Their PC player base is quitting fast... they did this to get the Console players to get the game now, not in 6 months when it will be clear that most players left....

Its mostly a cash grab... they know you won`t buy it in 6 months after its clear that you have more bots than players and that people are using hacks with no way for them to stop it. So they did this to get anyone who is going to buy the game to buy it now.

They need to wait 1 year for F2P but you can bet that its coming based on the population of my guild + the trading guilds i am in.

People no longer care, then even started using the hacks in PvP in the open to steal Scrolls... they know they will get reported and maybe banned but they also know they are quitting so why not?

• SFBryan18
    SFBryan18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was surprised they made the digital console version so cheap if you buy the PC version. I bought this game on PC right after I read that, since I had been waiting for the PS4 version anyways. Level up characters before it ever comes out, and then get the console version for $20. Good deal. Now if they'd just give me a monkey too...
    Edited by SFBryan18 on 22 May 2014 02:07
  • Loco_Mofo
    Loco_Mofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're complaining about $5?

That about right?
  • Reignskream
    Reignskream
    ✭✭✭✭
    METALPUNKS wrote: »

Ok so then the 20 dollars is for the upgrade. I'm not complaining will pay the money but you can't see where I'm coming from? I've already purchased the game. Here's the thing. I bought the pc game just so I can play on ps4 later. Once I start playing on pc I will never touch the pc version.

Would you be cool with someone charging you 20 dollars because you bought a new computer and wanted to transfer your characters to it?

Here's what would make this ok in my eyes. We pay for the transfer but can still play on pc as well if we wanted. So once you transfer does it lock out the pc version? If so why?

I don't see where your coming from, because if I want to play a game for the computer, I buy it for the computer. If i want to play a game on the console, I buy it on the console.

I never buy the same game for both systems. It's the same game, why waste money? By your logic you should be able to xfer for free because you paid for the game on PC already. That is your own fault I'm sorry to say, as you were too impatient and couldn't wait for the PS4 release.

Why would anybody charge me 20 dollars to xfer my chars over from one pc to another when all i would have to do is install the game and log on with my account, that logic makes no sense, and you can't ask a question like that with 2 completely different ended systems.

So basically your getting away with having to pay for another 60 dollar game, only by paying 20. And you want to be able to xfer your char to PS4, and still have your char on PC? That's making a copy of your character, not xfering your character.

• METALPUNKS
    METALPUNKS
    ✭✭✭

I don't see where your coming from, because if I want to play a game for the computer, I buy it for the computer. If i want to play a game on the console, I buy it on the console.

I never buy the same game for both systems. It's the same game, why waste money? By your logic you should be able to xfer for free because you paid for the game on PC already. That is your own fault I'm sorry to say, as you were too impatient and couldn't wait for the PS4 release.

Why would anybody charge me 20 dollars to xfer my chars over from one pc to another when all i would have to do is install the game and log on with my account, that logic makes no sense, and you can't ask a question like that with 2 completely different ended systems.

So basically your getting away with having to pay for another 60 dollar game, only by paying 20. And you want to be able to xfer your char to PS4, and still have your char on PC? That's making a copy of your character, not xfering your character.

Sorry I just don't see your logic here lol. Sure I cannot wait. I don't want to wait SIX months,I didn't wait. From my understanding once I pay 20 dollars to activate the ps4 version the pc version will no longer be active. That means I'm paying 20 extra dollars for a game I already paid for. If I could play on both systems then that would be awesome and I would be getting a major deal. That's what I want to know from ZOS.

It's the exact same thing if you bought a new computer. Do you need to pay 20 bucks to play this game on a new computer? NO. Sony or pc it is not relevant. It that I'm paying 20 dollars for a game I already paid for. You say I'm lucky I don't have to pay full price. I would not mind paying full price at all if and only if I get to keep both versions of the game but that's not the case. I'm paying 20 dollars to play the same exact game on a device, with the other device becoming deactivated.
    So in the end I'm paying 80 dollars to play the exact same game.
    Edited by METALPUNKS on 22 May 2014 02:52
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's different physical (and digital) media.

When you transfer your character (free of charge), you can opt to pay the full $60 and buy a PS4 copy of Elder Scrolls Online. Or you can pay $20. But you aren't magically turning your PC copy into a PS4 copy.

Your PC copy will still work. It'll still be installed, and you can still play it if you have the want or time.

The logic is sound. You aren't upgrading. You aren't transferring the game. You are keeping one product, and adding another product. And chances are, the products WILL be different on the most basic levels (consoles have no addons, limited in-game chat, probably supported voice chat, etc).

Instead of having to buy a new PS4 game for $60, Zenimax is cutting you a deal and giving you a $40 coupon (both the $60 and the $20 would come with 30 days).

The character transfer is a completely different service altogether.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Loco_Mofo
    Loco_Mofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You said in your original post that the $20 gives you 30 more days. So what you're questioning is why you have to pay $5 to transfer your toons from the PC version to the console version.

You know what that measly $5 gets you? 6 months early access to the game. You can now transfer your max level, fully geared toons over to the console and tear a new one in all the noobies just starting out.

Sounds like a good deal to me.
  • Millionaires
    Millionaires
    ✭✭✭
    $$$$$

No but seriously, this should be a free transition, as long as you lose the ability to play that same account on PC.

FF: ARR did it for free.
    Edited by Millionaires on 22 May 2014 03:23
  • SinisterJoint
    SinisterJoint
    ✭✭✭
    Think about it like this: Their PC player base is quitting fast... they did this to get the Console players to get the game now, not in 6 months when it will be clear that most players left....

Its mostly a cash grab... they know you won`t buy it in 6 months after its clear that you have more bots than players and that people are using hacks with no way for them to stop it. So they did this to get anyone who is going to buy the game to buy it now.

They need to wait 1 year for F2P but you can bet that its coming based on the population of my guild + the trading guilds i am in.

People no longer care, then even started using the hacks in PvP in the open to steal Scrolls... they know they will get reported and maybe banned but they also know they are quitting so why not?

Have enough Hyperbole this morning?

First, Its not a cash grab. The PC and Console playerbase are separate. Meaning that PC cant play with console players.

They are doing it because the console release pushback.

Lastly, I didn't know the playerbase was based around your guild and the trade guilds you are in.

Question for you though,
    If you honestly despise the game so much, why the *** are you here? Nobody cares about your lopsided opinion. Run along now child, its past your bedtime.

OT -- You are getting the console game for 20 bucks. /thread
    Edited by SinisterJoint on 22 May 2014 03:41
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply put, you're buying the console copy of the game.

Take note that you're transferring your character progression. This is by no means an account transfer. If done right, you should end up with two accounts. One on the PC and one on the console.

You pay $60+$20 for your PC copy and account, then top up $20 you get a console copy and account. Fair deal considering if some of your friends feel that they only want to play on PC/console. If you're playing alone, just stick to one.
    People keep telling me they're gonna buy me an ale. They never do.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

Help make this compilation complete!
    Compilation of Ideas and Suggestions
  • METALPUNKS
    METALPUNKS
    ✭✭✭

When you transfer your character (free of charge), you can opt to pay the full $60 and buy a PS4 copy of Elder Scrolls Online. Or you can pay $20. But you aren't magically turning your PC copy into a PS4 copy.

Your PC copy will still work. It'll still be installed, and you can still play it if you have the want or time.

The logic is sound. You aren't upgrading. You aren't transferring the game. You are keeping one product, and adding another product. And chances are, the products WILL be different on the most basic levels (consoles have no addons, limited in-game chat, probably supported voice chat, etc).

Instead of having to buy a new PS4 game for $60, Zenimax is cutting you a deal and giving you a $40 coupon (both the $60 and the $20 would come with 30 days).

But that's the thing my pc copy won't work, at least that is what the support person told me when I called asking about this. If it worked I'd be getting a major deal and I'd feel like I was almost robbing ZOS.
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But that's the thing my pc copy won't work, at least that is what the support person told me when I called asking about this. If it worked I'd be getting a major deal and I'd feel like I was almost robbing ZOS.

I suggest you request for a refund on your PC copy and purchase the PS4 copy.

Assuming your PC copy doesn't work, your account is empty right? You don't need the progression transfer, simply a refund and repurchase. Some sort of account transfer.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

• METALPUNKS
    METALPUNKS
    ✭✭✭
    Loco_Mofo wrote: »
    You said in your original post that the $20 gives you 30 more days. So what you're questioning is why you have to pay $5 to transfer your toons from the PC version to the console version.

You know what that measly $5 gets you? 6 months early access to the game. You can now transfer your max level, fully geared toons over to the console and tear a new one in all the noobies just starting out.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Seriously! Please people think about this. It's not about the 5 bucks. I don't give a damn if it was a penny, the minute I pay that 20 dollars my pc version no longer works. All I want to know is why I'm paying anything for a game that at that point I would of been playing for 6 months.
  • METALPUNKS
    METALPUNKS
    ✭✭✭
    Aeradon wrote: »

Assuming your PC copy doesn't work, your account is empty right? You don't need the progression transfer, simply a refund and repurchase. Some sort of account transfer.

Huh? I do need the transfer. I already have a character with a few hundred hours into it.
  • RubyTigress
    RubyTigress
    ✭✭✭
    So you don't have to buy two separate copies of the game to play on two platforms.
  • Crumpy
    Crumpy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you really that naive?
    I lyke not this quill.
  • LIQUID741
    LIQUID741
    ✭✭✭
    I think its awesome that they will even allow us to transfer over to console if we would like too..actually was surprised that we could. $20 seems like a great deal to me..but then again, $20 is cheap for great entertainment that hopefully will get a lot of time out of.

A early movie now-a-days with popcorn/soda is $20...so this is a deal IMO...they could have just let your toon rot.
    Solid-Nightblade of AD
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aeradon wrote: »

Huh? I do need the transfer. I already have a character with a few hundred hours into it.

Lol, what's the reason of transitioning to PS4?

• METALPUNKS
    METALPUNKS
    ✭✭✭
    [/quote]

Lol, what's the reason of transitioning to PS4?[/quote]

What do you mean? Ps4 is what I want to play with eso on , it's what I've planned on using for a year. It's just that it's delayed so I'm playing on my crap pc which is fun but nothing like playing on ps4 for me but I'm doing it anyway. All my friends will be on ps4 as well.

Anyway. I'm not Saying what ZOS is doing isn't nice it's just that I went through this same exact thing with ff14 and they did it for free. I give up at this point. If people are ok with someone just picking money out of their pockets, five hundred dollars or five pennies so be it. Just want to know why I'm paying anything that is all. I am a dedicated player, I purchased the imperial edition, the palomino horse, I'm subbing for 6 months when my month ends, blah blah blah I will buy anything they put in the store. The only reason I have a ps4 right now is because ESO, it collects dust until then. Again just want to know why in 6 months I have to pay to play the game that I already bought.
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Clearly allowing people to transfer caused more problems than its worth - its caused a lot entitlement issues; ZOS should have said no-transfer and you have to pay $60. No wonder we can't have nice this things.

Onto the OPs question - a significant hunk of change has to be paid to Sony and Microsoft for licensing. Thats probably not the whole $20, but when you take into account overhead and other expensives I bet they just break even on the transaction.
    Edited by zhevon on 22 May 2014 10:46
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you mean? Ps4 is what I want to play with eso on , it's what I've planned on using for a year. It's just that it's delayed so I'm playing on my crap pc which is fun but nothing like playing on ps4 for me but I'm doing it anyway. All my friends will be on ps4 as well.

Anyway. I'm not Saying what ZOS is doing isn't nice it's just that I went through this same exact thing with ff14 and they did it for free. I give up at this point. If people are ok with someone just picking money out of their pockets, five hundred dollars or five pennies so be it. Just want to know why I'm paying anything that is all. I am a dedicated player, I purchased the imperial edition, the palomino horse, I'm subbing for 6 months when my month ends, blah blah blah I will buy anything they put in the store. The only reason I have a ps4 right now is because ESO, it collects dust until then. Again just want to know why in 6 months I have to pay to play the game that I already bought.

Chill man. PS4 is awesome and all but gotta remember how tough was it for Skyrim. I'm not sure about FF14, but it's only logical to think that ZOS would provide free sub for PS4 upon launch, turns out it could be just payment of existing players for another month of sub? Who knows what other goodies they might slip in when you pay that $20, it's only wise that they do so, else they'll have angry player mobs. (The delay, the transfer charge, and most definitely the bugs won't justify itself. I foresee introduction of bots to consoles as well)

Have faith (:

p.s. I do buy a lot of things from the virtual stores and have little regard of the amount games charge me. It's only because $15-20 a month is sometimes less than a meal and ZOS deserves the support. Also, between treating my GF's mom to a dinner and not pretending to have fun in a game, ESO is definitely a better place for my money. So no, I don't appreciate a fat lady picking money out of my pocket on the condition of me having to fake a smile. And I do understand the importance of money.
    Edited by Aeradon on 22 May 2014 11:03

• Swampster
    Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    They're business out to make money... it's as simple as that
    Swampriel - Nightblade (Archer Build) - Ebonheart Pact - Veteran
    Swampess - DragonKnight - Eboheart Pact - Lowbie Faceroller
  • Rocksteady
    Rocksteady
    ✭✭✭
    They should put you in charge of transferring accounts and pay you nothing for it. We'll see how quickly you change your tune >:)
    "Their stupidity does not amaze me, its when they're smart that amazes me. It's baffling whenever you find someone who's smart — incredible. Soon you'll have zoos for such things." -Frank Zappa
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it. They give you a character transfer (which you weren't going to get) and a $40 discount (which you also weren't going to get), and you've somehow found more reasons to complain.

This is the first time I've even heard of a company allowing a transfer between PC and console, much less practically giving the game away.
    ----
    Murray?
  • darthbelanb14_ESO
    darthbelanb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Look at it this way, before you would've had to pay $60 for the PC and $60 for the PS4 version and not transfer your characters. Now you're getting a $40 discount on the PS4 version and are able to transfer your characters.

An old saying involving a gift horse comes to mind.
    Edited by darthbelanb14_ESO on 22 May 2014 12:18
  • Swampster
    Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    What would be REALLY nice.. while obviously not allowing play on the same platform, the stats/progress of a character could pass back and forth between plaforms. So you could pick up last night's play on the console the following day on a PC. You'd obviously require 2 subs, or a premium for the service on a monthly basis to make it worthwhile for ZOS.

I know.. never gonna happen, but it would be nice! :)
    Swampriel - Nightblade (Archer Build) - Ebonheart Pact - Veteran
    Swampess - DragonKnight - Eboheart Pact - Lowbie Faceroller
  • KrisButtar
    KrisButtar
    ✭✭✭
    I only bought the PC version because of the delay. I'm cool with transferring my character to the PS4 for $20 but I was under the impression that if I choose to stay subbed on PC I could and well as the PS4. Yes sub fees would be like $30 a month but I was OK with that. I had no idea the PC version would be deactivated and would have to pay another $60 to continue to play it on the PC. Now knowing that I wish I didn't buy the PC version and waited. Feels like they pulled a fast one on me :(