Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Big Design Flaws in Magicka Management and why Pure casters can`t cast for long

• NerfEverything
    NerfEverything
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow lots of bad sorcs in this thread. Sorc is either best or 2nd best at spike and sustained dps. Try NB or Templar if you are feeling weak.

I agree that softcaps are too low across the board, but sorcs have the easiest magika management already.
  • Reykice
    Reykice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow lots of bad sorcs in this thread. Sorc is either best or 2nd best at spike and sustained dps. Try NB or Templar if you are feeling weak.

I agree that softcaps are too low across the board, but sorcs have the easiest magika management already.

Then do post a screen shot or a video showing us what they can do.... and stop insulting people.
  • Doctoruniverse
    Doctoruniverse
    ✭✭✭
    I agree.

best party composition right now is 3 dk's and 1 templar. sad but true.
  • Nooblet
    Nooblet
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm confused where this info comes from and why people think this way when ALL the data says otherwise. So every sorc that plays eso is just bad... that's your theory...

• temjiu
    temjiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    DDemon wrote: »
    So you want to spam crystal shard and win ? Not gonna happen bro.

Funny part is, I have a ....DK...

There. Fixed that for ya.

DK + whatever = OP atm. I have yet to play a DK setup that DIDN'T plow through content. And Destro Staff + DK is currently broke silly in damage. want to see LoL? go check out the leaderboards for the time trials when Craiglorne hits. I'll bet you bucks that the lead teams (initially) will be compromised mostly of DK's.

Short and skinny...DK's are an unfair comparison at this point to anyone. let Bethesda do a few serious re-balance patches first.

On the subject OP,

You missed a few things. Sorc's DO have magick passives that other classes don't that have an impact on their mana.

Rebate (Passive) :15% mana return on dead summon. happens allot at later levels.
    Power stone: 15% reduction in ultimate cost.
    Unholy Knowledge : 5% reduced Magick and Stamina costs (this is big as theres currently no overcharge penalty for reducing costs, only on increasing stats).
    Capacitor: Increased magik regen by 10%.

so your initial argument, that other classes have access to all the magicka resource abilities that sorcs do, is invalid. As a matter of fact, when you compare skill trees, the Sorc probably has the MOST mana management available out of all the classes. this is probably by design...

And as to your other points...the Sorcerors limitations don't seem to keep it from being one of the easiest classes to level with, AND one of the easiest classes to grind VR content with.

So you really can't compare classes on a skill by skill level. overall performance is a crucial element...and in all honesty, i run out of magicka far easier on my templar then on my Sorc. My templar has NO innate magicka passives to boost her return. she has to rely on staffs, light armor, etc. Sorcs don't have to. Which is also one of the reasons they tend to be a more efficient healer then a templar as well (not better mind you, just more efficient).

Just because a class has cheaper spells doesn't mean the sorc is broke. Now...There's always a possibility that some adjustment can be made, but it certainly isn't game breaking at the moment.
  • Reykice
    Reykice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    temjiu wrote: »
    DDemon wrote: »
    So you want to spam crystal shard and win ? Not gonna happen bro.

Funny part is, I have a ....DK...

There. Fixed that for ya.

DK + whatever = OP atm. I have yet to play a DK setup that DIDN'T plow through content. And Destro Staff + DK is currently broke silly in damage. want to see LoL? go check out the leaderboards for the time trials when Craiglorne hits. I'll bet you bucks that the lead teams (initially) will be compromised mostly of DK's.

Short and skinny...DK's are an unfair comparison at this point to anyone. let Bethesda do a few serious re-balance patches first.

On the subject OP,

You missed a few things. Sorc's DO have magick passives that other classes don't that have an impact on their mana.

Rebate (Passive) :15% mana return on dead summon. happens allot at later levels.
    Power stone: 15% reduction in ultimate cost.
    Unholy Knowledge : 5% reduced Magick and Stamina costs (this is big as theres currently no overcharge penalty for reducing costs, only on increasing stats).
    Capacitor: Increased magik regen by 10%.

so your initial argument, that other classes have access to all the magicka resource abilities that sorcs do, is invalid. As a matter of fact, when you compare skill trees, the Sorc probably has the MOST mana management available out of all the classes. this is probably by design...

And as to your other points...the Sorcerors limitations don't seem to keep it from being one of the easiest classes to level with, AND one of the easiest classes to grind VR content with.

So you really can't compare classes on a skill by skill level. overall performance is a crucial element...and in all honesty, i run out of magicka far easier on my templar then on my Sorc. My templar has NO innate magicka passives to boost her return. she has to rely on staffs, light armor, etc. Sorcs don't have to. Which is also one of the reasons they tend to be a more efficient healer then a templar as well (not better mind you, just more efficient).

Just because a class has cheaper spells doesn't mean the sorc is broke. Now...There's always a possibility that some adjustment can be made, but it certainly isn't game breaking at the moment.

Its not game breaking... but there is no point in having a 5% cost reduction when your spells cost 50% or even double compared to other classes....

DK`s don`t just have cheap spells but when they use their ultimates they restore 70% of their MAX resources. The tool tip says something else but its actually 70% of their resources.... so they can keep going all day. You can`t compare that to a crappy 5% reduction and 10% regen that is more like 2-3 magicka per second due to the soft caps....

The problem comes from the base cost... Sorc spells cost a lot more. Maybe make a thread asking them to make Crystal Fragment proc from light attacks/from itself?
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never played a sorcerer so I can't comment specifically. But as a Templar, I can attest that the magicka cost for my abilities have been a challenge to overcome.

But I like this. It's nice to play a game where your character's resources actually require some skill and thought to manage. I feel it also brings more depth to the gameplay and makes it more interesting and challenging. Instead of just spamming your best moves over and over until things die.
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    Again, I am not having these magika issues you speak of, which leads me to believe you may be putting your skill points into the wrong things.I currently have around (and going off the top of my head) 1900 mana, and I have between my jewelry around 45-50 points reduction magika skills My magika regen is also at the soft cap. I rarely have to stop to regen magika except for those rare occasions I get surprised by multiple mobs (4+), but if I actually plan those fights, my Magika still works for me as well.
  • OkieDokie
    OkieDokie
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious, what's the cost for those skills?
    Gisgo wrote: »
    Ah so it turns out NBs are outdamaging sorcerers.
    I hope you are posting from the future. B)

They are... do you people do like no research before you post? Like none at all? There are pictures of 700+ dps NB`s all over, with guides, rotations and so on....

Don`t just follow others and say NB`s suck.... they can do a lot of DPS if they are played right. Staying alive in solo VR content is an issue for some specs, sure. But DPS was never one for NB`s....

Would you mind sharing a link for those videos? (NB)

Also, you do realize a NB with 1900 magicka needs to save 37% of his magicka pool just for ONE use of shadow and starting with concealed blades from shadow he already used 25%, don't you?
    Edited by OkieDokie on 22 May 2014 12:38
    People keep saying they heard of a friend of friend of friend of their neighbors that plays a NB and can catch up with dks and sorcs and this guy just never shows up. He would be a rock star if he existed.
  • drowadin
    drowadin
    ✭✭
    fix sorcs so they cant spam cast teleport max teleport 4 to 5 b4 mana burn out
  • drowadin
    drowadin
    ✭✭
    night blade is the most broken class in the game hahaa lol im sry i cant stop laughing one second i forgot is this to fix ur class or to suggest night blades get fixed
  • Turial
    Turial
    ✭✭✭
    Turial wrote: »

Man if you really think Nightblades have it easier because we can spam heavy attacks (lol?)... well, get a clue, really.
    There are only two competitive classes in this game and you are playing one of them.
    If you cant manage your magicka with a sorcerer i dont know what to say... but it sounds like a matter of l2p.

Yeah... can't really take him seriously when he uses a NB for his argument.

The NB is doing 700+ dps... the Sorc CS spam does 500.... now do you take it seriously?

EDIT: When the NB gets fixed the gap will be even bigger...

Sounds like a pretty crappy Sorc to me, only 500?

Sounds like you don`t have a Sorc...

Sounds like you do not play on my account, I have a Sorc and they are the OP class of the game and do far more dmg output than a NB, sorry to burst your bubble pal but that's the way it is.

Show us this magic build of yours that can do 700+ dps on a boss like NB`s/DK`s can do...

Go take out any 20k+ boss with a Ranged Sorc and show us your super duper dps, if you do 700+ then you should make a guide for it, as so far no Sorc does 700.

I brought you proof, numbers and so on... time for you to bring some. If you are on the EU server and post a Sorc build that shows 700+ dps(on the dps meters) during a Veteran boss fight doing Single Target dps... i`ll give you 5000 gold. So please, show us how its done. There are plenty of NB screen shots showing 700+, DK`s i won`t even bother to mention there are vids of them soloing the entire dungeon so yea, they play a different game. But there is no Sorcerer screen shot of a fight lasting 1+ minutes where he does 700+ single target dps. Not one.

So if you can make one let me know and you will get some gold for the effort.

Kid.... I have no interest in proving my point to you, and then listening to you rage some more. I will say that I made no mention of having a super duper build and if I did I don't feel we are close enough that I want to share it with you. You assumed I did not have a Sorc, then you assumed about the build and remember you make an ass of yourself when you assume, you were doing it anyway before you assumed but I just wanted to clarify.

At the end of the day, you are derailing your own thread with your raging, your thread title is about Sorcs not having a big enough energy pool which is bull as we have plenty of magicka... when we don't spam our attacks, hint hint.

Your thread is now about NB OP WTF BBQ etc. and so on. Everything you have said above and below indicates you are playing your class badly, sorry to tell you but that is what it reads like based on what you have typed.
    "Neither a 'Borrower nor a Lender' be."
    Never Forget

I think you have not been on the internet long enough until you have been rick-rolled.
    Please check out Enchanting Alchemy - A Progression Guild
  • BrassRazoo
    BrassRazoo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know the most expensive class spell in the game?
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭

Man if you really think Nightblades have it easier because we can spam heavy attacks (lol?)... well, get a clue, really.
    There are only two competitive classes in this game and you are playing one of them.
    If you cant manage your magicka with a sorcerer i dont know what to say... but it sounds like a matter of l2p.

Yeah... can't really take him seriously when he uses a NB for his argument.

The NB is doing 700+ dps... the Sorc CS spam does 500.... now do you take it seriously?

EDIT: When the NB gets fixed the gap will be even bigger...

Sounds like a pretty crappy Sorc to me, only 500?

Sounds like you don`t have a Sorc...

Sounds like you do not play on my account, I have a Sorc and they are the OP class of the game and do far more dmg output than a NB, sorry to burst your bubble pal but that's the way it is.

Show us this magic build of yours that can do 700+ dps on a boss like NB`s/DK`s can do...

Go take out any 20k+ boss with a Ranged Sorc and show us your super duper dps, if you do 700+ then you should make a guide for it, as so far no Sorc does 700.

I brought you proof, numbers and so on... time for you to bring some. If you are on the EU server and post a Sorc build that shows 700+ dps(on the dps meters) during a Veteran boss fight doing Single Target dps... i`ll give you 5000 gold. So please, show us how its done. There are plenty of NB screen shots showing 700+, DK`s i won`t even bother to mention there are vids of them soloing the entire dungeon so yea, they play a different game. But there is no Sorcerer screen shot of a fight lasting 1+ minutes where he does 700+ single target dps. Not one.

So if you can make one let me know and you will get some gold for the effort.

Kid.... I have no interest in proving my point to you, and then listening to you rage some more. I will say that I made no mention of having a super duper build and if I did I don't feel we are close enough that I want to share it with you. You assumed I did not have a Sorc, then you assumed about the build and remember you make an ass of yourself when you assume, you were doing it anyway before you assumed but I just wanted to clarify.

At the end of the day, you are derailing your own thread with your raging, your thread title is about Sorcs not having a big enough energy pool which is bull as we have plenty of magicka... when we don't spam our attacks, hint hint.

Your thread is now about NB OP WTF BBQ etc. and so on. Everything you have said above and below indicates you are playing your class badly, sorry to tell you but that is what it reads like based on what you have typed.

What he said.