Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why aren't we getting new companions til Q4?

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    A better question is why do we have companions at all. ESO is an MMO. We don't need companions. There are plenty of people in game to group with. We don't need companions at all.

Do these plenty of people come with a (preferably interesting and well-written) multi-part questline and can I place them in cozy little cages inside my home?

I come with a story, but I might not stand in your house where you tell me to or stay in your cage. :smile:

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I come with a story, but I might not stand in your house where you tell me to or stay in your cage. :smile:

Well, that's a pity. Visitors normally end up knowing too much, so it just wouldn't be reasonable to let them go. They could overhear me singing stupid bard songs sharing secret plans with my apprentice, or stumble across embarrassing bawdy novels a grimoire with sinister notes while illicitly rummaging through my bookshelves. This knowledge could endanger the whole House!
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • JemadarofCaerSalis
    JemadarofCaerSalis
    ✭✭✭✭

Well, that's a pity. Visitors normally end up knowing too much, so it just wouldn't be reasonable to let them go. They could overhear me singing stupid bard songs sharing secret plans with my apprentice, or stumble across embarrassing bawdy novels a grimoire with sinister notes while illicitly rummaging through my bookshelves. This knowledge could endanger the whole House!

I don't come with a story, but if you have enough kittens and tea and bread, I will stand in the house, though it might not be exactly where you place me. Just look for the highest concentration of kittens...
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't come with a story, but if you have enough kittens and tea and bread, I will stand in the house, though it might not be exactly where you place me. Just look for the highest concentration of kittens...

We have plenty of tea. But what is a kitten? Do you mean a guar? Or is that some kind of cushion?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally - and egoistically - would prefer that ZOS forget about companions for another while and use the budget for other things. There are 6 by now, so it's not like we miss choices.

It would be interesting to see global statistic about how many players use them continuously, or sporadically only or maybe even never. Based on what I see around me, a vast majority don't have companions when they run in PvE explorable areas. I see more players using companions in delves and dungeons.

As for me, I rarely use them. I take one just to ease my life (am lazy) once in a blue moon, or when I want to run a delve fast as the companion fixes foes on the way.
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A better question is why do we have companions at all. ESO is an MMO. We don't need companions. There are plenty of people in game to group with. We don't need companions at all.

Guild Wars is/was an MMO and it also dealt heavily with a companion system. It's not unprecedented. Frankly, I'm not here to interact with players, I'm here to play an Elder Scrolls game.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's put it this way. How many of the total population play PVP? So to dedicate an entire DLC to PVP, they had to include an incentive for non-PVP players to buy it... hence moving Companions to be included with it. That's my thought anyway.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Mathius_Mordred
    Mathius_Mordred
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don't like them you don't have to use them. I love my companions and so do many others. I wouldn't say I like this kind of passive-aggressive negativity.
    Skyrim Red Shirts. Join us at https://skyrimredshirts.co.ukJoin Skyrim Red Shirts. Free trader. We welcome all, from new players to Vets. A mature drama-free social group enjoying PVE questing, PvP, Dungeons, trials and arenas. Web, FB Group & Discord. Guild Hall, trial dummy, crafting, transmutation, banker & merchant. You may invite your friends. No requirements
  • Calastir
    Calastir
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've spent an eternity waiting at a World Boss / Harrowstorm / Public Dungeon in Blackreach: Greymoor Caverns and "plenty of people" never responded to group with me.

Without companions I'd lost out on a lot more time and content. I need companions.
    Chaszmyr Do'Benrae (Dunmer Magsorc Vampire Infinity) ~ Dusk Doublespeak (Breton Magplar Werewolf) ~ Stan of Rimari (Nord Dragonknight Tank) ~ Bunto Kim Alhambra (Redguard Magplar Paladin) ~ Alicyankali (Argonian Magicka Necromancer Draugr Kin) ~ Gruuman Odinfan (Orsimer Magplar) ~ Boymans van Beuningen (Khajiit Stam Warden Bowzerker) ~ Flannelflail (Imperial Stamina Nightblade Brawler PVP) ~ Calastir (Altmer Stamina Dragonknight) ~ Sallystir (Bosmer Stam Warden Frostbite PVP) ~ Zalastir (Altmer Magicka Warden Ice Storm) ~ Capt Peach (Nord Stamcanist Crux Cannon) ~ PC EU ~ Flynt Westwood (Bosmer Magicka Dragonknight) ~ PC NA ~ since May 26th, 2021.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DreamyLu wrote: »
    I personally - and egoistically - would prefer that ZOS forget about companions for another while and use the budget for other things. There are 6 by now, so it's not like we miss choices.

It would be interesting to see global statistic about how many players use them continuously, or sporadically only or maybe even never. Based on what I see around me, a vast majority don't have companions when they run in PvE explorable areas. I see more players using companions in delves and dungeons.

As for me, I rarely use them. I take one just to ease my life (am lazy) once in a blue moon, or when I want to run a delve fast as the companion fixes foes on the way.

Some people mentioned equity with race and class choices for companions, but honestly, I am more interested in finding one that I don't have to stow in my backpack while I am doing something in the game that they don't like.

I use them for general support in combat, but I have to listen to them commenting and whining between combats. One is always active, even if I don't need them. I try to find the ones that comment more than whine. I don't mind listening to the comments as I wander around Tamriel. Well, at least not the first 10,000 times. :smile:

I expect that ZOS is just going to make them weirder, not better, so my expectation is that the 4Q companions will be interesting until I finish reading the patch notes about them.
    Edited by Elsonso on 31 July 2024 12:20
  • Calastir
    Calastir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some people mentioned equity with race and class choices for companions, but honestly, I am more interested in finding one that I don't have to stow in my backpack while I am doing something in the game that they don't like.
    Azander (great tank) and Sharp-as-Night (excellent healer) are both the most chill and neutral companions so far.
    Chaszmyr Do'Benrae (Dunmer Magsorc Vampire Infinity) ~ Dusk Doublespeak (Breton Magplar Werewolf) ~ Stan of Rimari (Nord Dragonknight Tank) ~ Bunto Kim Alhambra (Redguard Magplar Paladin) ~ Alicyankali (Argonian Magicka Necromancer Draugr Kin) ~ Gruuman Odinfan (Orsimer Magplar) ~ Boymans van Beuningen (Khajiit Stam Warden Bowzerker) ~ Flannelflail (Imperial Stamina Nightblade Brawler PVP) ~ Calastir (Altmer Stamina Dragonknight) ~ Sallystir (Bosmer Stam Warden Frostbite PVP) ~ Zalastir (Altmer Magicka Warden Ice Storm) ~ Capt Peach (Nord Stamcanist Crux Cannon) ~ PC EU ~ Flynt Westwood (Bosmer Magicka Dragonknight) ~ PC NA ~ since May 26th, 2021.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calastir wrote: »
    Azander (great tank) and Sharp-as-Night (excellent healer) are both the most chill and neutral companions so far.

I had sharp out by mistake when I changed my appearance for an endeavor. 🙄

They all have their issues sometimes.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calastir wrote: »

Azandar's dislike of Arteum/Eyevea, coffee, and mushrooms makes him hard to travel with, at times. I use him as a healer though, not a tank. I prefer Isobel when I want a tank, and she is far easier to travel with than Azandar. With her, I just need to remember to backpack her if some odd quest sends me into a Refuge or requires me to do something shady. Outside of that, I can pick what I want, craft what I want, go where I want.

Sharp is not worth the effort to unlock, for me. I have no use for his particular skill set and he does not fit well with how I play. Every so often, I think I will go unlock him, just to have the complete set. I get to Gorne, which I can solo entirely, and stop and ask myself what the *** I am doing in here. He's not worth the effort. :neutral:

The only thing that ZOS could roll out in 4Q that would get me excited is a "thief/assassin" that does not have Ember's quirk of freaking out if caught or seen and has manageable negative idiosyncrasies to deal with. I originally thought Ember would be suitable, but quickly realized she is up there with Bastian and Isobel in that respect.

• TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never touched them, and am more than unlikely to ever do so. I hate sidekicks.... for any number of good and sufficient reasons. I *might* be interested in a more active, more connective animal, but it would depend on if they were always in the way like the ones available now seem to be.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    I've never touched them, and am more than unlikely to ever do so. I hate sidekicks.... for any number of good and sufficient reasons. I *might* be interested in a more active, more connective animal, but it would depend on if they were always in the way like the ones available now seem to be.

Hmmm... There is nothing that says that Companions need to be "people".

Thinking... My expectation is that they will roll out a Demora as a Companion before they roll out an Animal. That said, they could certainly do a Fallout inspired "Dogmeat" style Companion. Depending on what sort of creature they used, getting all three roles to work might be a stretch, though.

Sadly, my main problem with Dogmeat in Fallout was that he always ran ahead and then blocked where I wanted to go. Don't remember which Fallout or which Dogmeat, though.

On PC, I used to use an addon that put the companions on "ignore" so I could not interact with them. Since moving to XBox, I am constantly starting a chat with them only to say Goodbye and reposition slightly to get at what they are standing in front of. :neutral:

ESO has a ton of problems trying to figure out what is important out of the things in front of me. Long dead and cold bodies are more important than players in the Reticle when looking around, for example. If I want to see what level someone is, it is very hard because if that dead boss or mob is anywhere in my field of view, the game makes sure I know about it. The "activation box" for some quest NPCs is so large that it is hard to activate anything else if that NPC is too close to me. I was recently doing the Khenarthi's Roost final quest and had Sergeant Firion with me as a sidekick. I had to use a lodestone on five things, but she always ran up to stand right next to me, and interacting with her had priority over everything else in the world, even though she had nothing to offer. :rage:

So, yeah, some pet Companion would likely be standing in the way all the time demanding immediate attention. "I'll pet you later, but right now, I want to open this chest..."

Edit for additional comment at the end.
    Edited by Elsonso on 31 July 2024 14:00
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    Let's put it this way. How many of the total population play PVP? So to dedicate an entire DLC to PVP, they had to include an incentive for non-PVP players to buy it... hence moving Companions to be included with it. That's my thought anyway.

As far as I know, it will be free.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

As far as I know, it will be free.

The PvP update may be base game, but that doesn't necessarily mean the Companions themselves will be accessed in the same place. Maybe the two Companions will be added to different zones, whether they be base game zones or DLC zones.

I could see one Companion being added to some DLC zone like West Weald, Northern Elsweyr, or The Reach, and maybe the other would be added to base game content like the Infinite Archive or some base game zone like Stros M'Kai.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The PvP update may be base game, but that doesn't necessarily mean the Companions themselves will be accessed in the same place. Maybe the two Companions will be added to different zones, whether they be base game zones or DLC zones.
    I could see one Companion being added to some DLC zone like West Weald, Northern Elsweyr, or The Reach, and maybe the other would be added to base game content like the Infinite Archive or some base game zone like Stros M'Kai.

Yeah, but the person I replied to said that ZOS includes companions to the "pvp dlc" so non-pvpers also have a reason to buy it (which means more profit for ZOS). Which is incorrect, as the whole thing won't be a buyable dlc.

It will be some "pvp feature" added to the base game for free (as you said), which might be a really minor thing, considering the promised q3 "housing feature" was rather disappointing to most players as well.

As for where they will add the companions... Good question. I do think they might indeed add them to the West Weald and make them only available for people who own that chapter, as another incentive to buy it (for those players who haven't yet). So, yeah, not "totally free", but not as "new buyable content".
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    probably to give us pve players something since the update seems to mainly be PVP.
    Give us clannfear mounts!
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The khajiit necromancer companion is going to be awesome, glad they delayed them both to be more polished.

You already have a Khajiit companion.
    The khajiit necromancer companion is going to be awesome, glad they delayed them both to be more polished.

Well we're getting another one, a better one, Ember is kinda meh. :)

No we are not.
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No we are not.

We will get repeated Companion Races eventually. The Companions system isn't going to just stop once we reach 10 Companions.
  • JemadarofCaerSalis
    JemadarofCaerSalis
    ✭✭✭✭

We have plenty of tea. But what is a kitten? Do you mean a guar? Or is that some kind of cushion?

A kitten is the young of a cat, which is an animal designed by nature or the Princes to be so cute that many people are quite willing to turn themselves into slaves and cater to their every whim. The kitten takes that natural cuteness and turns it up 1000%.
  • IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trust me, I'll come back to this thread when they're revealed. His name is Zerith also.

So a rumour? That name doesn't follow any Khajiit naming conventions. That would make me suspicious enough.

Just a wild guess, this is my theory based off things I've seen

No we are not.

And how do you know this? Like I said, the devs never said they wouldn't repeat races
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And how do you know this? Like I said, the devs never said they wouldn't repeat races

Actually, they even implied that they would consider repeating Companion races:
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    I’m positive there’s room to introduce another Argonian companion someday who doesn’t have slavery as a centerpiece of their past.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A kitten is the young of a cat, which is an animal designed by nature or the Princes to be so cute that many people are quite willing to turn themselves into slaves and cater to their every whim.

A cat? Oh. I think I've already seen something like that once. Looked like an Alfiq, but somehow smaller. I'm not surprised they turn people into slaves. In fact, there is an Alfiq conjurer climbing the ranks of our glorious House right now, who I heard owns a good dozen of slaves (and probably her own tower in a year or so).
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • JemadarofCaerSalis
    JemadarofCaerSalis
    ✭✭✭✭
    A kitten is the young of a cat, which is an animal designed by nature or the Princes to be so cute that many people are quite willing to turn themselves into slaves and cater to their every whim.

A cat? Oh. I think I've already seen something like that once. Looked like an Alfiq, but somehow smaller. I'm not surprised they turn people into slaves. In fact, there is an Alfiq conjurer climbing the ranks of our glorious House right now, who I heard owns a good dozen of slaves (and probably her own tower in a year or so).

Yes, that would be a cat.

My cats would be living in luxury, but sadly none of my houses are grand enough for them. They refuse to live anywhere without adequate lighting to nap in, adequate corridor space for practicing their speed and turns, and adequate slaves to make sure their bowls are always filled and there are enough hands to give them belly rubs.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree they're not needed for overland questing, and perhaps with MYM on atm, more players are PVP'ing, but in my experience, the majority of players do use them, especially in places like Craglorn or at world bosses, or as mentioned, in public dungeons.

I mean, why would one say no to free DPS and enemy distractions? And if you find some of their personalities grating, you can always switch to one whose personality you like... which supports the argument for even more companions, so we can have more options.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »

I agree they're not needed for overland questing, and perhaps with MYM on atm, more players are PVP'ing, but in my experience, the majority of players do use them, especially in places like Craglorn or at world bosses, or as mentioned, in public dungeons.

I mean, why would one say no to free DPS and enemy distractions? And if you find some of their personalities grating, you can always switch to one whose personality you like... which supports the argument for even more companions, so we can have more options.

Yes, having a tank with taunt makes some of the squishier classes I like to play much easier. Ones who don’t have shields or much healing for instance.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    contract issues. Companion Union of Tamriel Excelsior is holding out for a cut of the gold from every chest found.

:#
  • IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No we are not.

Well, looks like I was right :smile: