Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Curious about what triggers weapon enchantments

Elvenheart
Elvenheart
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Hi, here on a sorcerer...I was just wondering if casting the familiar's special ability every 20 seconds also triggers the enchantment on my staff?
  • Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light/heavy attacks and weapon skills.
    @Djennku, PCNA.

Grand Master crafter, all styles and all furnishing plans known pre U41.
    Vamp and WW bites available for players.
    Shoot me an in-game mail if you need anything, happy to help!
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Light attacks
    Heavy attacks
    Weapon skills
    Ground based AoE dots caused by weapon skills (think wall of elements)

Dots that stick to the target (for example poison injection) do NOT proc enchants
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    notyuu wrote: »
    Light attacks
    Heavy attacks
    Weapon skills

Dots that stick to the target (for example poison injection) do NOT proc enchants

I always thought that it was weird/bad design that sticky DOTs can't apply enchants and poisons.
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    notyuu wrote: »
    Light attacks
    Heavy attacks
    Weapon skills

I always thought that it was weird/bad design that sticky DOTs can't apply enchants and poisons.

They used to apply enchants and poisons, but, naturally PvP.

Basically players would outfit DW with infused + weapon damage enchant and basically run around with free +500 wpn/SPL damage via rending slashes, the patch that changed how dw encahnts work was the same one that removed sticky dot procs for enchants (cuz it worked with ANY sticky dot (Poison Injection would pictuarly nasty)
    Edited by notyuu on 3 September 2024 07:22
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Now that the subject has been brought up...

Something I should totally know but I do not:

- What skill in S&B triggers enchantments? There are no ground based AoEs/DoTs on that skill line.

- What skill in Resto Staff triggers enchantments? Grand Healing? Blessing of Protection? Both? Neither one nor the other but the complete opposite?
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ApoAlaia wrote: »

- What skill in S&B triggers enchantments? There are no ground based AoEs/DoTs on that skill line.

- What skill in Resto Staff triggers enchantments? Grand Healing? Blessing of Protection? Both? Neither one nor the other but the complete opposite?

Scribing shield skill has Dot that procs enchantment or poison (it is stated in it's description, not oversight).
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ground AoEs will constantly reapply enchantments even if weapon is not active, this doesn't mean s&b cannot apply them. Any time you use Low Slash, Puncture, Shield Charge or Shield Bash they will apply the enchantment if not on cooldown.

Resto is a special case - enchantments only work when skill is applied on the enemy and almost all resto skills work on allies. Siphon might apply them but I haven't seen the case, this skill is very rarely used.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »

Scribing shield skill has Dot that procs enchantment or poison (it is stated in it's description, not oversight).

Scribing has just been released though, what ability did players use to proc S&B enchantments before this?

Shameful, I know, but the last time I tanked dungeon sets were tradeable... been a while...
    Edited by ApoAlaia on 3 September 2024 10:26
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    robpr wrote: »

Ground AoEs will constantly reapply enchantments even if weapon is not active, this doesn't mean s&b cannot apply them. Any time you use Low Slash, Puncture, Shield Charge or Shield Bash they will apply the enchantment if not on cooldown.

Resto is a special case - enchantments only work when skill is applied on the enemy and almost all resto skills work on allies. Siphon might apply them but I haven't seen the case, this skill is very rarely used.

So resto enchants can only be procced by LA/HA?
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Scribing has just been released though, what ability did players use to proc S&B enchantments before this?

Shameful, I know, but the last time I tanked dungeon sets were tradeable... been a while...

None, it wasn't really a thing. Revibrating bash has delayed damage when stun ends, it can proc enchant while you are on another bar, but that is not very useful.
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So resto enchants can only be procced by LA/HA?

Yup. Which is why absorb enchants are pretty much the de-facto enchantment on Resto Staves.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers beautiful people <3
  • alpha_synuclein
    alpha_synuclein
    ✭✭✭✭

Neither. To activate enchant you need a skill that affects enemy. So for resto it light or heavy attacks.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Healers need to light or heavy attack weave to apply their resto staff enchants reliably.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Light or heavy attack weaving has always been important for supports too, not just dds.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

None, it wasn't really a thing. Revibrating bash has delayed damage when stun ends, it can proc enchant while you are on another bar, but that is not very useful.

Proccing enchantments with S&B is absolutely a thing. Pierce Armor will do it just fine, as will lights and heavies.

It was especially popular to do this back when EC could proc off of glyphs. A fire glyph was very useful for EC tanking on classes that don't have fire skills with much utility.

It is still useful to proc Absorb Stamina for the stam return (though DKs could also use Poison to do that via Combustion before the changes).
    Edited by virtus753 on 3 September 2024 20:22
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The Cutting Defense CP in the blue tree will proc your weapon enchants when you take direct damage within 7 meters.

Slot a stack of Escapist's Poison IX, hold block = profit. Welcome to PvP troll tanking 101! ;)

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

Proccing enchantments with S&B is absolutely a thing. Pierce Armor will do it just fine, as will lights and heavies.

It was especially popular to do this back when EC could proc off of glyphs. A fire glyph was very useful for EC tanking on classes that don't have fire skills with much utility.

It is still useful to proc Absorb Stamina for the stam return (though DKs could also use Poison to do that via Combustion before the changes).

This yes, but it seemed to me question was about continuously procing enchant with a skill, even when you are on different bar, like with wall of elements/stampede.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That's another thing that I think is awful design - why Restos are made "special exceptions" to the clearly established rule?

Generally speaking, making "special exceptions" to any general rule is bad practice.

And besides, when was the last time that anyone (with any credibility, that is...) complained about Resto Staves in basically any context. It's a trivial bone to toss healers rather than singling them out for arbitrary exclusion.
  • alpha_synuclein
    alpha_synuclein
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's another thing that I think is awful design - why Restos are made "special exceptions" to the clearly established rule?

Generally speaking, making "special exceptions" to any general rule is bad practice.

And besides, when was the last time that anyone (with any credibility, that is...) complained about Resto Staves in basically any context. It's a trivial bone to toss healers rather than singling them out for arbitrary exclusion.

As someone who mostly play healer I don't see the resto as exception. The general rule is: to activate weapon enchant you need a weapon skill that affect the enemy. It feels rather logical that it doesn't work if you only use skills on your allies.

• Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Restoration Staff abilities were made to proc weapon enchantments, then only the beneficial weapon enchantments should work. It makes sense that you'd want to be able to grant yourself a damage shield or increase your weapon/spell damage via your enchantment as you heal your allies, but you don't want to be able to proc a damage or debuff enchantment on your allies, since they're the target of your weapon ability in this case.
  • alpha_synuclein
    alpha_synuclein
    ✭✭✭✭
    If Restoration Staff abilities were made to proc weapon enchantments, then only the beneficial weapon enchantments should work. It makes sense that you'd want to be able to grant yourself a damage shield or increase your weapon/spell damage via your enchantment as you heal your allies, but you don't want to be able to proc a damage or debuff enchantment on your allies, since they're the target of your weapon ability in this case.

Yup. Imagine how happy your tank would be if your absorb mag or reduce armor enchants could proc on him xd
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Naturally, it would make no sense to harm your group,

I think that it would lend some extra depth to the healing role, particularly in PvE.
  • SeaUnicorn
    SeaUnicorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Naturally, it would make no sense to harm your group,

I think that it would lend some extra depth to the healing role, particularly in PvE.

Hear me out, poison/flame/shock/bleed and etc would proc resistances to those on friendlies.
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing about single target weapon dots, is they all have an initial direct damage component, which will proc weapon enchants. For example, if you put twin slashes on a target, the initial hit will proc your weapon enchantments, but the dot will not.

Sorry if this was mentioned already.
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all this info about what triggers weapon enchants! For an Oakensoul build knowing that the enchantment will be triggered by heavy attacks i’m now wondering if infused would be a better trait than precise? And what the best enchantment might be, of course! 😊