The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Endless loading screen after leaving house

Sync01
Sync01
✭✭✭
Since U41 on EU PC there has been an issue where leaving the house can cause an endless loading screen.

What happens is that when a player goes into a house, uses an aetherial well and then tries to leave the house they get stuck in an endless loading screen. The other players in the group will almost immediately see that player as offline, but for the player that has the loading screen the wheel keeps spinning. The only way to get out of the loading screen at that point is to close the window with task manager.

It doesn't seem to matter if you're porting to another player, directly to the trial, another zone, or try to leave the house by using the door.

We've noticed it when doing trials, and haven't tried to see if it can happen when leaving the house without using the aetherial well. It's more obvious when doing mini trials simply because you use the well so often, but it doesn't seem to matter which trial you're doing. It does seem to happen regardless of which house it is or if the house is yours or not. We've tried disabling addons and it made no difference.

How often it happens is not consistent. For example it happened to me and maybe 3 others in the group 4 times in a row, and then it didn't happen to anyone in the group for an additional 5 times etc.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It has happened to myself, my partner, and several groupmates (in different groups) even without having used an Aetherial Well.
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has happened to us as well. I would like to add it is not just using Atherial well. We had a player literally just port into the Fair Winds. Not move. Reset Black Rose Prison. And he ported direct to player in the dung. He didn’t move, he didn’t use any items, go into his inventory, nothing and it still did that bc at first our guild thought it was due to either using the well or a assistant in the house.
  • ShadyTheLady
    ShadyTheLady
    Soul Shriven
    Can also confirm that I have to keep closing the game via task manager when trying to leave my house. It's inconsistent when it happens. It seems to be more often when I'm trying to port into a dungeon or trial from my house though I think. Oddly instead of the destination loading screen, it's my house loading screen image despite trying to LEAVE the house..
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can also confirm that I have to keep closing the game via task manager when trying to leave my house. It's inconsistent when it happens. It seems to be more often when I'm trying to port into a dungeon or trial from my house though I think. Oddly instead of the destination loading screen, it's my house loading screen image despite trying to LEAVE the house..

That’s because your character is constantly registering as being ported out of the house and then back in.

I was standing in my house when my partner tried to leave it and got stuck in one of those endless loading screens. The notification in the upper right kept saying “…departed.” “…arrived.” “…departed.” “…arrived.” “…departed.” It would make those announcements about once per second each, always one then the other.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    An update to say that not only is this still happening, but the game just hung for me on the endless loading screen while I was trying to port from my house into Bedlam Veil.

I had to Alt+F4 because the game sat there unresponsive for several minutes.

When I logged back in, I was still in my house but also saw a higher recall fee when I went to port again, as if the port had been successful. The least they could do is respect the fact that we didn't get where we paid to go and not apply the recall penalty until we get there.

ETA: Crashing out like this also crashes Discord. Why ESO is affecting Discord's functionality is beyond me but hugely problematic.
    Edited by virtus753 on 27 March 2024 19:22
  • VisitHammerfell
    VisitHammerfell
    ✭✭✭
    Yes this happened to me as well travelling to a group member in Oathsworn Pit. And the art loading screen for my house was flickering like a horror movie.
    Edited by VisitHammerfell on 27 March 2024 19:55
    FOR THE COVENANT!
    PS NA 2200+ CP
    🦁 Colonel 1 (25)

PS EU 1300+ CP
    🦁 Tribune 2 (28)

PS NA Alt 500+ CP
    🦁 Captain 1 (19)

Bring back Crafty Lerisa (with same voice actress)
  • r3turn2s3nd3r
    r3turn2s3nd3r
    ✭✭✭✭
    This definitely needs to be acknowledged that ZOS is aware and added to the known issues post. I have an IR prog that was in vAS yesterday for our 90 minute session. Of that, at least 15 minutes was wasted waiting for people to restart app after getting stuck in an arriving / departing loop from housing after resetting the instance. PS NA

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tried to get around the issue by porting out of my house to Vvardenfell before porting into the dungeon.

Got stuck in another endless loading screen (this one for my own house out of which I was porting). It is definitely not specific to porting into a dungeon or trial, although that seems to be where a lot of us are running into it, but (to confirm the title of the thread) simply out of a house.

It is not limited to primary houses. I got stuck in two loading screens out of non-primary houses the other day.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Our trials group crashed going from a guild house to a trial and also just exiting the house.

PS NA
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's caused by the group leader resetting an instance by toggling the Normal/Veteran difficulty while someone is in a house. When that happens, anyone who was in a house at the moment the difficulty was toggled will get this bug.

So players need to wait for the instance to reset before porting to a house to recharge ulti.

On PC, the Raidificator addon has a /reformgroup command that will allow the raid lead to reset the instance by reforming the group, which allows an instance to be reset before anyone has even left the instance, and I've been using this to reset dungeon and trial instances in U41 to circumvent this bug.
    Edited by code65536 on 30 March 2024 12:10
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Adding to this that the game still changes difficulty of its own accord when someone accepts a group invite I extended. Since I was in my house when the person accepted the group invite and the game changed difficulty without my input, I got the endless loading screen while attempting to leave.
  • Sync01
    Sync01
    ✭✭✭
    We tried resetting the instance before anyone left and it didn't work, and it has happened when players port from their house into the trial first time (no resets yet).

But what does seems to work is just disbanding the group, and before a player rejoins the group they charge their ult and leave their house. We've only tried it in one (mini)trial that had many resets, and then a handful more resets in another trial after that, but no one's got the endless loading screen so far.
  • Cast_El
    Cast_El
    ✭✭✭✭
    It also happened many times with load screen Battle Ground