The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Genuinely curious - what's your absolute favorite role in the holy trinity of MMOs?

• ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tank
    I used to stick to DPS, but I find tanking far more fulfilling in more games than just ESO.

I like being up close and personal in a boss fight. I like knowing the mechanics of a fight and taking control of the situation. Getting your timing right, understanding what is needed of you, and watching out for both yourself and your group, provide an adrenaline rush I really enjoy. It's comparable to PVP in the sense that it keeps me on my toes.

I also enjoy figuring out how classes who do not traditionally tank could tank, as a sort of side hobby.

Basically what this guy said:
    Tank
    I like to be that guy who stands in a pool of gasoline in the fiery pits of hell and call out "come on in guys, water's fine!"

^This. This right here.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DPS
    DPS by far. Once in a while I might want to tank, mostly if I'm soloing and want more survival. I hate healing, always have and probably always will.

One role I used to enjoy but has become absent in newer games is the crowd controller. Maybe that was mostly a classic Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot thing. There were classes dedicated to crowd control, either in PvE or PvP.

Its not a thing anymore. MMORPGs have become DPS tests. Crowd control isn't even an option.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like multiple equally and here's why...
    When playing solo, you need to be DPS, but the group situations do need all the roles functioning properly. And when they do, they are all fun to play.
  • Twig_Garlicshine
    Twig_Garlicshine
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would've preferred a none of the above option, here's why:

Personally I think "Holy Trinity" is boring and over simplifies all end game mechanics down to-
    just figure out how to turn these encounters into tank and spank the boss target dummy.

In my opinion the holy trinity is 1990s and early 2000s and should be put in the dustbin of history.
    Moving on from having strict roles and reducing every mechanic (avoiding) to tank/spank encounters, instead more challenging encounters and roles would be very attractive to me for any new mmo.

My history:
    Tank in progressive top ten guild in other mmo for over a decade.
    Got tired.
    Came to Eso.
    Started and stopped tanking very soon after arrival, even doing dungeons/raids at all,
    mostly due to community attitudes.
    Then reduced my game time to PvP and open world.
    Now I hardly play Eso at all due to lack of interesting PvP.
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DPS
    Braffin wrote: »
    Elvenheart wrote: »
    Braffin wrote: »
    Elvenheart wrote: »
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Also, I just find it easier to build a DPS to solo things.

Same here so I picked DPS as well. Although as some have pointed out when we solo we have to be our own tank and healer too. For example, I recently tried soloing the Asylum Sanctorium because I read it was the only trial that could be soloed, and by the time I killed the second boss I got an achievement for being a Trial Healer! 😂

(I tried soloing the third boss, but the fight just stretched out so long, and was so tedious I finally gave up.)

Out of curiosity: How long did your fight against Olms take? Never tried to solo him myself, but sounds interesting (although I would more probably do the fight in a duo with my girlfriend).

Oh, my gosh, both of them seemed to go on forever, but just guessing it was like 15 or 20 minutes or so per boss. That’s just a guess. I tried the final boss too for about that long, or maybe even a little longer, since I was almost done with the trial, but by that time, I was pretty tired, and sometimes missed dodging one particular attack that would wipe me out. I think duoing the bosses with someone with make it go by much better but still take a little patience, and, of course, the more people the merrier!

Edited to add: Isobel was my tank and she did quite well, some of the healing I did was to keep her alive while she soaked up a lot of damage.

Thanks for the answer. Now I know what to do on the weekend. :smile:

I’d love to hear how it turns out!
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    in here when im soloing i usually prefer to play a tank with some dps, as i never have to worry about dying and far less work to stay alive

i like playing a dps when im trying to clear stuff faster, and im more comfortable using a dps in group content

in here i have also played healers in some content as well

the other types of character i enjoy playing is sadly not possible in this game

i like status effects that make monster kill other monsters (confuse cc in city of villains for example, so much fun lol)

and i like pet builds, like real pet builds not the sorc style ones we have now, but i want a minimum of 10+ combat-capable/affecting pets (masterminds in city of villains for example, or pet builds in ARPGs)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • GooGa592
    GooGa592
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least this poll shows why it's best to build a tank so you can get fast queues when you want to burn through your enlightenment. ;)
  • Nightowl_74
    Nightowl_74
    ✭✭✭
    In a party or static with friends I enjoy the challenge of taking on whatever role we need. Random groups are a different matter, though, and I only tank or heal if I'm very confident I know the mechanics.
  • carly
    carly
    ✭✭✭✭
    The best class I have ever played was back in Everquest 1 - the first five years, Druid was the best and I've not found anything close in any game I've played since. I like that each class had unique characteristics and the game had a real sense of community back then. It really encouraged people to group and some of the best times I've had were in that game. For sure it was challenging but you really had a sense of accomplishment when you mastered your class. I also enjoyed that the overland zones were difficult, running through a level 60 zone as a lower level to get to a new zone to keep leveling was nerve racking but when made it through, you really got a rush at having made it. I know it's not for everyone, but I really enjoyed it.
    Edited by carly on 12 January 2024 03:16
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DPS
    DPS with big self-heals. Like Templars. Or Paladins or Demon Hunters from that other MMO. 👀
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DPS
    In ESO, I don't fight much and have only one char, who is DPS. But in my main game, I have lot of chars, all roles, and my preference is definitely for DPS, for all types of fighting contents.
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mainly DPS because I like killing stuff. I do occasionally tank. Almost never heal.
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None, that's why I prefer GW2 combat system over ESO (ZERO trinity). I mainly play this game for the crafting, housing, stealing, etc. The combat is the worst part of this game imo.

Yes, yes, you may ALL line up to take hits at me now - COMMENCE, lol.
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DPS
    I just wanna [snip].
    Thats why I hate tanks and healers.
    My best bg record, 0 20 0. Deathmatch.

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 12 January 2024 16:15
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paulytnz wrote: »
    None, that's why I prefer GW2 combat system over ESO (ZERO trinity). I mainly play this game for the crafting, housing, stealing, etc. The combat is the worst part of this game imo.

GW2 very much still has the trinity.

You obviously don't raid. Player with highest toughness has aggro, and there's plenty of + healing gear sets and many classes are incredibly good healers.

They tried to get rid of it, but it's a formula that works and is thus imposed by the community.
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Healer
    I love healing because it's actually PVPVE because you're fighting the bosses and adds and fighting to keep your often suicidal teammates alive too. That's far more exciting to me than DPSing.
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Healer
    Sakiri wrote: »
    Used to prefer healing in games, but I can't really do it well here. I also really, REALLY like my oakensoul sorc.

@Sakiri;c-802259 why can't you do it here in ESO? Is it the number of sets you need, something with the builds, or something else? There are a lot of excellent healing resources from the community if you need me to DM some to you.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to prefer healing in games, but I can't really do it well here. I also really, REALLY like my oakensoul sorc.

@Sakiri;c-802259 why can't you do it here in ESO? Is it the number of sets you need, something with the builds, or something else? There are a lot of excellent healing resources from the community if you need me to DM some to you.

The sheer amount of gear you need is a big one. I prefer one set and not have situational gear.

I'm paranoid about buff timers.

I have people out in Narnia I have to chase down.

Needing to heckin pvp to get warhorn.
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love havig the option to do different things. I dont heal but im a grade A dps and a potato tank... thats his name tho. Taunts-with-potatoes lol. Hes half decent and i love playin him.
  • Nihilr
    Nihilr
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer Damage, husband tanks+damage and/or heals me+damage enemies (and ocassionally just tanks+heals on harder content, but also does some decent damage. He would prefer there was no roles at all, he did slot my heal abilities and tells me when he's unable to heal me so I can heal myself. 😅

It's nice when we can solo dungeons. Just wish we could do trials and more arenas without worrying about PUGs or joining guilds. I don't play to make new friends or create contacts to keep up with, our lives are busy enough as is. Just annoying we're locked out if content because of this. Waiting for the InfArch versions of these bosses to translate to a co-op version of these dungeons and trials.
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paulytnz wrote: »

GW2 very much still has the trinity.

You obviously don't raid. Player with highest toughness has aggro, and there's plenty of + healing gear sets and many classes are incredibly good healers.

They tried to get rid of it, but it's a formula that works and is thus imposed by the community.

I quit not long after raiding was introduced and yes I know they "tried" to force it with raids, because really it was the only way they could give a challenge that hardcore. In the end tho, much like here it's nothing but Forcing you to play in a certain way. They should have learnt by now - people are getting sick of that. I did not raid because simply put, I live in NZ, with a 300+ Ping, you can't raid. Because with the mechanics if you don't do the right thing at the very right split second that you need to - your party wipes, I seen it, I did it, I tried.

Someone earlier said that a no trinity MMO would not work, no one would kill world bosses. You can't tell me that's correct after playing GW2? Look at the differences. You see hundreds of people at world bosses in GW2 (well I did when I played). Not only that but with that many people there it was still a challenge, as the bosses scaled up etc. Unlike here where they die in 2 seconds flat, if that. Slightly off topic, but the servers could handle it too, no skill lag etc like here, it's like day and night lol....

Fact is, here the trinity and world bosses make little sense, especially when tanks are concerned. Tanks steal aggro off each other etc. Why don't they do something about that like they did in GW2? Do you remember where they brought in that shield bosses got and we had to use control skills to remove it before we could damage the boss? They could do similar here on world bosses where tanks taunting the boss could open the way for others to damage it. But nope, it's the silly mess it is just because. Oh, and don't even get me started on the silly mess that was a bug that became a feature, that became a requirement that weaving is, I don't even want to open that can up.....

PS, it wasn't ONLY the player with the highest Toughness that became the target/tank. I pretty much played as tanky as I could and saw it a lot because I was the target 99% of the time. It was also distance that mattered and other variables. When I took the heat and was almost killed, I would pull back, stop doing damage and focus healing/kiting. It's what you had to do to survive. Then you read the field, if the current tank who took my place was in trouble I would jump back in and take over again. If other DDs were in trouble I could heal them, etc, etc, so many options and all on 1 build, no forced build to limit my options.

I got to say, I really do miss that gameplay as it was exciting, but as I said I don't play there now. I play here, and yes even if the combat system is inferior. simply because I play for the other stuff - which GW2 does not have. Shame we can't merge the 2 games for the perfect experience (for me at least anyways lol)
    Edited by Paulytnz on 13 January 2024 05:55
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red Mage Tank Thingy.
    We Know...
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tank
    I find it delightful to survive being chewed by a dragon, punched by a big robot or set on fire by a big dragon robot. No need to impress people with my amazing DPS, unless they want to see someone require 2 hits to kill a centipede. Sure, killing things is fun, but surviving them is a whole different experience.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poll should be "What is the most dislike job of 3 roles in the MMO". :*

When I'm in Healer character, then everyone looks like selfish child.
    I felt it just like becoming "mommy" for the group member.
    When I'm in Tank character, then 60% of PUG people are unreliable.
    When I'm in DD character, then most of PUG Tank player is weaker than my Tank. or Fake.

But, finished dangerous mission with excellent people is huge satisfaction and emotional moment.
    And, I couldn't feel any of those experience in the TES5 Skyrim.

My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's complicated. I start out as a DPS then healing comes to get me and I become a healer... but then I found out I don't even like healing so then back to DPS, then to tank if applicable. Haven't done this full circle with anything but ESO due to lack of playing other games to the point of the cycle completing but I've seen it start to happen elsewhere too. That said, I enjoy being able to do all roles even if I do not like them all equally.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Healer

The sheer amount of gear you need is a big one. I prefer one set and not have situational gear.

I'm paranoid about buff timers.

I have people out in Narnia I have to chase down.

Needing to heckin pvp to get warhorn.

@Sakiri It's not that difficult to get warhorn and barrier. Just heal some ball groups a few times - especially during times with increased XP like Whitestrake's Mayhem and you'll get those in no time. If you get the skill lines to level 10 you can just buy them on additional classes you want to use. I say this as a die hard PVEer who has learned to enjoy PVP once in a blue moon in Cyro or IC.

If you are on PC you can use buff timer addons to assist with that. If you're on console it's fairly easy to get muscle memory down so you keep certain buffs up. The required sets aren't as bad as you think. To start off focus on SPC, Pillagers, Roaring Opportunist, and Jorvulds guidance for main sets and for the monster sets get Symphony of Blades and Ozezan and you'll have most of your requirements covered. There are some niche sets but you'll typically on need those if you're running with a regular hard mode group.You can also start off with easy to get monster sets until you can get the meta sets. Most groups realize that there is a progression to support gearing and will assist you if you're in a guild or raid team.

Regarding those out in Narnia, tell them in voice chat to get back on task or they die. You can't heal people out of range nor people standing behind you. People standing behind me was a huge issue during PUG run when the HA Sorc was the meta for so many players. If they don't listen...

pdu8hvk0hqa0.jpg