The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Genuinely curious - what's your absolute favorite role in the holy trinity of MMOs?

Cooperharley
Cooperharley
✭✭✭✭✭
If you like several, that's great, but what's your FAVORITE and why? :)
Edited by ZOS_Icy on 14 January 2024 17:29

Genuinely curious - what's your absolute favorite role in the holy trinity of MMOs? 160 votes

Tank
17%
NestorSuddwrathssewallb14_ESODiatonicivaylo.krumoveb17_ESOSmokedpyrotechcyclonus11SarannahValarMorghulis1896Number_51Anti_VirusSilverIce58duaglothCatagamiArchangelIsraphelSallymenMelivarbmnobletomofhyruleThe_Boggart 28 votes
Healer
24%
chessalavakia_ESODarcyMardinWhiteCoatSyndromeDarkstorne16BitForestCatJayleeshadyjane62LiedekeWhisperLFERagnarok0130ReverbDestaiToxic_HemlockArchMikemAcadianPaladinVonnegut2506SeraphayelSirona_StarrWyresscliffracerRedBranch 39 votes
DPS
38%
Solarikendaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOHolycannoliKendaricfreespirithans.johansson1958b16_ESObirdikElvenheartSilverBrideathekaEnemy-of-ColdharbourMathius_MordredlillybitAstironCaptainVenomfizl101RupzSkoomaTyharemilyhyoyeonold_scopie1945 62 votes
I like multiple equally and here's why...
19%
DanikatAlienSlofJames-WayneAvalonRangerw002expOtarTheMadLumsdenmlSeanBladerAzrael_1976ghastleyNightowl_74svendfEthanolMuffinsMerguezManUvi_AUTPixiepumpkinNihilrIts_MySniffTercesVulkunne 31 votes
  • CrazyKitty
    CrazyKitty
    ✭✭✭✭
    All roles are fun when played well. And it's even more fun when your a solid part of a group kicking butt.
  • carthalis
    carthalis
    ✭✭✭
    DPS
    From the moment I played MMO's over 20 years ago its always been DPS and most often mage themed
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tank
    I like to be that guy who stands in a pool of gasoline in the fiery pits of hell and call out "come on in guys, water's fine!"
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i like them all.

when i fight world bosses alone i need to be a bit of all 3.

i like healer the most in trials and dungeons
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DPS
    Though I avoid doing group content like the plague, I'm definitely a DPS player. I've tried other roles, but healers and tanks aren't my thing.

Edit: Being a DPS player lets me get through the annoying parts of the game (combat) faster and allows me to spend my time with things I like to do in the game (RP, decorating my homes and fashion).
    Edited by Kendaric on 9 January 2024 19:35
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      DPS
      Just never cared for tanking or healing - don't really like combat either but it's easier than the other two. What I like in games is gaining experience by quests - diplomacy, solving mysteries, that sort of thing. Not much of that around any more.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
    • valenwood_vegan
      valenwood_vegan
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I mostly solo so I'm playing all three roles. I guess I sorta prefer DPS in a group though, less pressure and less blame when something goes wrong. (NOT saying that placing blame on the other roles over the DPS is justified, that is just my experience of how things go).
      Edited by valenwood_vegan on 9 January 2024 19:40
    • wilykcat
      wilykcat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      DPS
      Melee dps.
      Any class that can fight using two daggers, unarmed, melee staff, and pole arms is my go to for MMOGs.

In eso I main a dual wield melee dps kahjiit templar. In world of warcraft I main a worgen feral druid. In guild wars 2 I main a charr daredevil thief.

It's because the dps role is very fun and its easy for me to play (even when it's not the meta). I love creating my own melee dps builds too.
    • Destai
      Destai
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Healer
      Healer for sure. I like tanking here or there, but I'm definitely not a tank person. I enjoy being supportive and helping others achieve their goals, and have been playing healers in MMOs since Guild Wars 1. If there were non-tank control class, I'd probably play that though.
    • AScarlato
      AScarlato
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Healer
      I enjoy aspects of all of them, but in general I spend most of my time on a healer. It's a little different in ESO given how much time I spend solo-questing, where being a pure healer would just make that content needlessly tedious. Or in PVP, if I have no tanking stats as a healer I'll probably just be 1 shot. So...here I've come to be mostly a jack of all trades.
    • WhiteCoatSyndrome
      WhiteCoatSyndrome
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Healer
      I’ve found I tend to fall into a support/healer role even when I’m not trying to. 😆 Haven’t managed to acquire the patience for tanking though.
      #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
      A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
    • spartaxoxo
      spartaxoxo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      DPS
      I used to like healer more and still like it sometimes. But now, I like that I'm mostly just responsible for my own performance, and performance is generally easier to measure. It got kind of old knowing I did everything right and still wiped constantly because other people wouldn't stop doing things like standing in aoes. And at the same time, also having a harder time figuring out my own mistakes because did they die to my poor choices or because of some mech or build issues I didn't spot with everything else going on.

Also, I just find it easier to build a DPS to solo things.
      Edited by spartaxoxo on 9 January 2024 21:08
    • Danikat
      Danikat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I like a mix of DPS and healing/support - focusing on damage when things are going well but with the ability to step in and help someone (or the whole group) out when it's needed, or keep myself alive when I'm playing solo or the healer has other people to worry about.

Not even just in RPGs, I find myself aiming for a similar role in a lot of games. There's a board game called Spirit Island where I usually pick a spirit that can do a mix of damage and control or support and whenever possible I like to get at least 1 blight clearing (basically healing) card.
      PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    • Braffin
      Braffin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      DPS
      Used to be tank years ago. But after getting annoyed by dd's not capable to do somewhat useful dps too often, decided to provide dmg myself.

Never looked back.
      Never get between a cat and it's candy!
      ---
      Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
    • moo_2021
      moo_2021
      ✭✭✭✭
      Healer
      Healer, because nobody needs me
    • Erickson9610
      Erickson9610
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I'd branch out more if Werewolf was better at being a tank or healer. Since it isn't, I prefer to play as a damage dealer, like I do in the singleplayer TES games.
      PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
    • Pixiepumpkin
      Pixiepumpkin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      The most fun I have ever had was on my hunter in world of warcraft as a DPS....but with a catch.

I ran a tri spec build in the old days. I was a marksman hunter (DPS) but had points into beast mastery buffing my pets health and armour (became a mini tank) and some points into survival for trap utility.

I would often be the off tank in raids in my guild and we were 3rd place from top guilds on sargeras (meaning we had progression). On Onyxia fights I was main tank using my pet.

I also performed as top DPS without changing my build.

So for me my favourite role was being a top DPS, but DPS that could pick up and tank adds well (often to keep them off the group, especially healers). I loved being able to take charge of the fight and help with group utility without having to sacrifice my DPS.

I have not played a character yet in any mmorpg that gave the same playstyle.
      "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
      PC/NA
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      DPS
      The most fun I have ever had was on my hunter in world of warcraft as a DPS....but with a catch.

I ran a tri spec build in the old days. I was a marksman hunter (DPS) but had points into beast mastery buffing my pets health and armour (became a mini tank) and some points into survival for trap utility.

I would often be the off tank in raids in my guild and we were 3rd place from top guilds on sargeras (meaning we had progression). On Onyxia fights I was main tank using my pet.

I also performed as top DPS without changing my build.

So for me my favourite role was being a top DPS, but DPS that could pick up and tank adds well (often to keep them off the group, especially healers). I loved being able to take charge of the fight and help with group utility without having to sacrifice my DPS.

I have not played a character yet in any mmorpg that gave the same playstyle.

That's what I did in WoW as well. I really hated tanking (though I did it for my friends and family guild), and was pathetically grateful when my nephew got out of school and took over the tanking.

I have always wanted my wardens to have the sort of utility and fun my WoW hunters did.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
    • chessalavakia_ESO
      chessalavakia_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Healer
      Personally, I think the whole trinity thing wasn't the greatest idea in the start and has gotten worse over time.

The tank role innately is lacking in appeal and ends up even less popular due to the amount of pressure the role is frequently put under. Developers have a tendency to make this pressure worse by increasing the amount of power the role has and by leaning so heavily on mechanics that fights basically turn into "Simon Says Hard Mode".

The damage role innately has a significant amount of appeal which can cause queue time issues. Optimization has a tendency to change the damage role from something fun into something tedious.

The healing role in my view is the only one that is reliably fun because the queue time is decent, you have less people complaining at you, and you get more variation in what you do from run to run.
    • Pixiepumpkin
      Pixiepumpkin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Personally, I think the whole trinity thing wasn't the greatest idea in the start and has gotten worse over time.

The tank role innately is lacking in appeal and ends up even less popular due to the amount of pressure the role is frequently put under. Developers have a tendency to make this pressure worse by increasing the amount of power the role has and by leaning so heavily on mechanics that fights basically turn into "Simon Says Hard Mode".

The damage role innately has a significant amount of appeal which can cause queue time issues. Optimization has a tendency to change the damage role from something fun into something tedious.

The healing role in my view is the only one that is reliably fun because the queue time is decent, you have less people complaining at you, and you get more variation in what you do from run to run.

No, the trinity was an amazing idea. The trinity allows for people to read the playfield without verbal communication and act accordingly.
      "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
      PC/NA
    • Uvi_AUT
      Uvi_AUT
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Ive been playing MMOs for so long that I like all three of them equally.

That being said, DPS is generally the most fun because chasing that MAX-DPS just has something adrenalinefilling.
      I usually dont DPS though because Tanks and Healers are Rare and I am confortable playing both of those.
      Registered since 2014, Customer Service lost my Forum-Account and can't find it.....
    • Uvi_AUT
      Uvi_AUT
      ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no alternative though. MMOs without the Trinity usually either fail or have communities that dont do the groupcontent (or mostly suffer through it).
      Youre right its not perfect (for the Tank mostly) but its the best we have.
      Registered since 2014, Customer Service lost my Forum-Account and can't find it.....
    • James-Wayne
      James-Wayne
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I prefer to play the hybrid approach so have defence, healing and damage output at all times... which is why I'm loving the Infinite Archive runs, they should gear all content towards a hybrid approach rather than holy trinity approach.
      PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
      James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
      529 people have also earned this badge.
    • Elvenheart
      Elvenheart
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      DPS
      spartaxoxo wrote: »

Same here so I picked DPS as well. Although as some have pointed out when we solo we have to be our own tank and healer too. For example, I recently tried soloing the Asylum Sanctorium because I read it was the only trial that could be soloed, and by the time I killed the second boss I got an achievement for being a Trial Healer! 😂

(I tried soloing the third boss, but the fight just stretched out so long, and was so tedious I finally gave up.)
      Edited by Elvenheart on 10 January 2024 07:19
    • phaneub17_ESO
      phaneub17_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I play support by which I mean I stand around, you do all the work, I take credit.
    • Braffin
      Braffin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      DPS
      Elvenheart wrote: »

Same here so I picked DPS as well. Although as some have pointed out when we solo we have to be our own tank and healer too. For example, I recently tried soloing the Asylum Sanctorium because I read it was the only trial that could be soloed, and by the time I killed the second boss I got an achievement for being a Trial Healer! 😂

(I tried soloing the third boss, but the fight just stretched out so long, and was so tedious I finally gave up.)

Out of curiosity: How long did your fight against Olms take? Never tried to solo him myself, but sounds interesting (although I would more probably do the fight in a duo with my girlfriend).
      ---
      Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
    • Elvenheart
      Elvenheart
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      DPS
      Braffin wrote: »

Out of curiosity: How long did your fight against Olms take? Never tried to solo him myself, but sounds interesting (although I would more probably do the fight in a duo with my girlfriend).

Oh, my gosh, both of them seemed to go on forever, but just guessing it was like 15 or 20 minutes or so per boss. That’s just a guess. I tried the final boss too for about that long, or maybe even a little longer, since I was almost done with the trial, but by that time, I was pretty tired, and sometimes missed dodging one particular attack that would wipe me out. I think duoing the bosses with someone with make it go by much better but still take a little patience, and, of course, the more people the merrier!

Edited to add: Isobel was my tank and she did quite well, some of the healing I did was to keep her alive while she soaked up a lot of damage.
      Edited by Elvenheart on 10 January 2024 07:37
    • svendf
      svendf
      ✭✭✭✭
      The holy trinity doesn´t exsist in Eso, and only used if people are forced by content. A game that can´t uphold the trinity is not worth it. It´s a very big part of being a "real" Mmo.

Before it all went south in Eso I liked all roles, which I have transfered over to, my new main Mmo. Healer and tank are equal demanding in that Mmo, for the most I keep to ranged caster or close melee (a Dragoon, Redmage). On the tank side a Paladin, and a Whitemage for healer.

After I finished the MSQ up to current capter, I have started to collect mounts from the exsteam raids, which I went into very fast (community is very help full).
    • Braffin
      Braffin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      DPS
      Braffin wrote: »

Oh, my gosh, both of them seemed to go on forever, but just guessing it was like 15 or 20 minutes or so per boss. That’s just a guess. I tried the final boss too for about that long, or maybe even a little longer, since I was almost done with the trial, but by that time, I was pretty tired, and sometimes missed dodging one particular attack that would wipe me out. I think duoing the bosses with someone with make it go by much better but still take a little patience, and, of course, the more people the merrier!

Edited to add: Isobel was my tank and she did quite well, some of the healing I did was to keep her alive while she soaked up a lot of damage.

Thanks for the answer. Now I know what to do on the weekend. :smile:
      ---
    • Sakiri
      Sakiri
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Used to prefer healing in games, but I can't really do it well here. I also really, REALLY like my oakensoul sorc.