ToT NPCs excessively difficult

• bongtokin420insd16
    bongtokin420insd16
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I played expert for the first time today since the patch. I pretty religiously played 3 every day for the quest before the patch,. I lost maybe once a month, and i could often toy with the AI or guarantee a Patron win by just leaving three turned.
    There are things AI never did before.
    1. Rarely usually never used treasury. (Also never used treasury if a card was purchasable)
    2. Never turned Ansei back once I had it.
    3. Would often be able to catch me but would burn power to kill useless agents on the last turn and lose

In the very first game after the patch, the AI passed over cards in favor of the treasury, flipped Ansei back several times, and prolonged the game 2x over the 40 threshold before i literally had to put like 20 between us to win.

It felt like a person for sure. I had to go for the kill or they would have kept at it and maybe broke 80 lol.
    Edited by bongtokin420insd16 on 23 June 2023 20:04
    Kaz_Wastelander PS4NA
    Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just starting a game with a Proficient NPC now.
    Round 1: Makes a good choice from the Tavern, then Duke of Crows for 1 power.
    Round 2: Buys a Tithe from the Tavern, without using its benefit, therefore allowing a good card to come up for me.
    Rounds 3-4: Reasonable. We're flipping Hunding back and forth, with nobody reaching a good 6-coin card.
    Rounds 5-6: Reasonable. NPC is up to 3 Patrons now, but it won't be able to use Pelin any time soon.
    Rounds 6-7: I got to good 6-coin cards first, because I've been buying more Writs of Coin.

Later rounds:
    • I have a nice lead in deck quality. Frequently sitting at 3 patrons down does put some pressure on my choices.
    • The NPC knocked out one of my agents and DIDN'T pick the Contract one.
    • That No-Shira Poet I wouldn't have bought except to forestall the NPC using Pelin's has twice boosted Rally into my hand. NPC has never been able to muster 8 gold.
    • I've generally coasted to a win.
    Options
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, got my lead, against the expert NPC... easily won 6/6 while watching a movie and not even paying attention.

Excited to drop ToT again like a hot pile of dark elf coals.

Glad work is being done to improve the NPCs for high level ToT players who seem to enjoy it.

Hope ZoS takes a look at the novice NPC, and actually improves the expert one so that things make sense. Good luck everyone.
    Edited by valenwood_vegan on 24 June 2023 03:20
    Options
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    I finally played a Novice NPC tonight after winning 3 matches against Expert NPCs for the daily.

Wow, I see what you all mean! I won the first 2 matches, but both of them were close. I lost the third match because the NPC kept using the Hlaalu patron to get way ahead and I couldn't catch up. In all 3 matches he started out by trying to get a patron victory, so that meant I had to work to stop him from winning that way while also trying to keep up with his spamming of the Hlaalu patron. It was unreal.

Yup! I avoid Hlaalu if at all possible. Even if I win in the end, it's just no fun to play.
    PS5/NA
    Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I finally played a Novice NPC tonight after winning 3 matches against Expert NPCs for the daily.

Wow, I see what you all mean! I won the first 2 matches, but both of them were close. I lost the third match because the NPC kept using the Hlaalu patron to get way ahead and I couldn't catch up. In all 3 matches he started out by trying to get a patron victory, so that meant I had to work to stop him from winning that way while also trying to keep up with his spamming of the Hlaalu patron. It was unreal.

Yup! I avoid Hlaalu if at all possible. Even if I win in the end, it's just no fun to play.

I've been playing mainly Proficient NPCs, because I understand from these threads (and a few games against Experts) that their AI has changed more.

I hate the Hlaalu patron now, because the NPCs play it so stupidly. They get to >20 Prestige in a hurry, but they get there by Patroning away all their purchased cards. Stupid, stupid NPC play. Easy, easy victory for me after that.

The Duke of Crows patron isn't so bad, because they can only use that once, which they commonly do on the first turn for 1 gold. That's not quite as stupid as it sounds, as it does put some pressure on me to avoid a patron loss, which may influence my play on several turns.

Red Eagling 2 power away at the end of a turn (even when the patron already favors them) is also stupid, of course.

NPCs are still also buying useless Tavern cards, like Tithe when they aren't going to use 2 patrons on the turn. That one is particular stupid, since having it around could be one of their best shots at a patron victory.

Options
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ToT was only only marginally fun before Necrom released, but with the recent changes to NPC difficulty levels and the new Almalexia deck, I just don't think that it's worth my time any more. Why play something that isn't even remotely fun for subpar rewards?
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still enjoy playing ToT against the NPCs, and the rewards are still pretty good-- not consistently great (subject to RNG), but occasional Transmute Crystals, crafting motifs, recipes, treasure maps, furnishing materials, tempering materials, etc.

The Novice NPCs can definitely be challenging now, but as with the other NPCs, once you learn their preferred strategies you should be better able to thwart them and win the match. I prefer to play the Expert NPCs for the NPC daily matches, but after that I sometimes play a Novice NPC for a change of strategies. I haven't played a Proficient NPC lately, but will do so soon.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly the daily against the NPC isn't worth anymore. The rewards aren't bad, but now it takes 40-45 minutes to complete. And in addition to that the game just isn't as much fun. Luck plays much more a role in winning. It only takes a few bad rounds at the start and there is no recovering. I don't enjoy having to play multiple additional games to finish the quest.

I don't understand who benefits by these changes.

PS5/NA
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i actually find the NPCs are really really bad with hlaalu, they just sacrifice every card they pick up so they have no economy

if hlaalu + rahjin are in play, the npc will get to about 15-30 prestige and just stall out because they have no economy, just a few rahjin bewilderments in their deck and they cant buy much, you can also dock down their prestige with rahjin agents and the npcs will senselessly remove cards from their deck with the ragpicker or the rahjin card that does the same (and most of the time they end up removing their gold coin cards instead of bewilderments)

since the update ive only lost 1 match against the npcs, many of the other ones the npcs only got to about 15-20 prestige then stall out, or in a few cases removed every card from their own deck so they couldnt even play lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • PrincessOfThieves
    PrincessOfThieves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed that too. I am bad at card games so I only play against easy and sometimes intermediate npcs. Recently I just stopped playing at all because the daily quest just isn't worth it when even the novice npcs are making long elaborate turns. Imo it's fair to make the master/expert npcs difficult to beat, but there should be a casual option just like with dungeons.
    Options
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ilsabet wrote: »
    Having played against Expert NPCs today after seeing how buffed up Novice and Proficient NPCs were, I'd put money down that ZOS accidentally applied the buff that was intended for Expert NPCs to Novice NPCs instead. The Expert NPCs still had the same old habits like spamming coin upgrades and largely ignoring patrons. I'm not complaining, since it's nice to get a daily done in less than an hour, but it would make way more sense for the Novice opponents to be the ones you can readily beat.

Yep, I definitely agree with this - there is no way the novice NPC is a 'novice'.

It does seem that expert and novice have been swapped.
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    delenn35 wrote: »
    Having played against Expert NPCs today after seeing how buffed up Novice and Proficient NPCs were, I'd put money down that ZOS accidentally applied the buff that was intended for Expert NPCs to Novice NPCs instead. The Expert NPCs still had the same old habits like spamming coin upgrades and largely ignoring patrons. I'm not complaining, since it's nice to get a daily done in less than an hour, but it would make way more sense for the Novice opponents to be the ones you can readily beat.

Yep, I definitely agree with this - there is no way the novice NPC is a 'novice'.

from my experience playing the different level npcs, they all appear to be using the same AI, they all tend to play the cards the same (if your playing novice you can select other than the basic decks and the novice uses those decks the same as the expert/proficient npcs)

the ones above novice just have access to more decks to select than the basic 4

which is actually funny because the basic 4 decks are all reasonably strong, the only basic deck the npcs are really bad with is hlaalu because they indiscriminately sacrifice every card they buy
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can still beat the Expert NPCs in about 5-10 minutes. Maybe they're trying to encourage players to challenge Expert NPCs rather than Novice NPCs? That wasn't meant to be taken completely seriously, but who knows? I haven't tried Proficient NPCs since the update.
    Options
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I went ahead and played some expert NPCs yesterday. My conclusion is that someone who is troubled by the expert NPCs likely has a fundamental misunderstanding of how deck building games work.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
    Options
  • stuartx13
    stuartx13
    ✭✭✭
    Ya TOT is not fun anymore with the thing's that have been put in.And lack of any deves responce is telling @ZOS_Kevin
    Options
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

from my experience playing the different level npcs, they all appear to be using the same AI, they all tend to play the cards the same (if your playing novice you can select other than the basic decks and the novice uses those decks the same as the expert/proficient npcs)

which is actually funny because the basic 4 decks are all reasonably strong, the only basic deck the npcs are really bad with is hlaalu because they indiscriminately sacrifice every card they buy

Hmmm... I'm not so sure, although admittedly I've only ever played the experts. Now, and previously, I've noticed that the (expert) NPC will sacrifice all of their single gold cards in order to build their coin before picking any other card from the tavern, all the while leaving very worthwhile and powerful cards in the tavern for me to pick.

Since the update, this has stayed the same. After noticing these posts where people are saying the NPCs are now too strong, even novice, I thought I'd put it to the test. So, I've played a few novice games and the NPC will immediately choose powerful cards from the tavern, restricting my access to them. Not only this, but they are VERY proficient with the patrons - all patrons. In the past year, every time we get an update where the NPCs are supposed to a bit stronger, I have found that all that happens is that a new patron becomes the focus. For example, early on when ToT was released, the Crow patron was used by NPCs. In updates since then, they didn't use it at all, they would focus on another patron. Now, in these 'novice' matches, the NPCs know exactly what they're doing as far as patrons AND picking cards from the tavern goes.

Now, to be honest, I really don't have a problem with this, but just assign these advanced strategies to the 'expert' NPC and maybe adjust the reward to reflect a win against the more advanced AI?? What do you think?

Thanks for your reply.

:)
    Edited by Snowy_Wyndra_Karn on 30 June 2023 03:09
    Options
  • stuartx13
    stuartx13
    ✭✭✭
    Well i think it going to 100% kill this card game. Im ok at it but its to much watch no matter how much we post no one DEVS will replay at all.
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm... I'm not so sure, although admittedly I've only ever played the experts. Now, and previously, I've noticed that the (expert) NPC will sacrifice all of their single gold cards in order to build their coin before picking any other card from the tavern, all the while leaving very worthwhile and powerful cards in the tavern for me to pick.

Since the update, this has stayed the same. After noticing these posts where people are saying the NPCs are now too strong, even novice, I thought I'd put it to the test. So, I've played a few novice games and the NPC will immediately choose powerful cards from the tavern, restricting my access to them. Not only this, but they are VERY proficient with the patrons - all patrons. In the past year, every time we get an update where the NPCs are supposed to a bit stronger, I have found that all that happens is that a new patron becomes the focus. For example, early on when ToT was released, the Crow patron was used by NPCs. In updates since then, they didn't use it at all, they would focus on another patron. Now, in these 'novice' matches, the NPCs know exactly what they're doing as far as patrons AND picking cards from the tavern goes.

Now, to be honest, I really don't have a problem with this, but just assign these advanced strategies to the 'expert' NPC and maybe adjust the reward to reflect a win against the more advanced AI?? What do you think?

Thanks for your reply.

i pretty much only play novice, and i wouldnt call them "proficient" with the patrons, they will just spam whichever one they have the ability to do so

in games with the crow, the npcs will frequently hit the crow patron with only 1-2 coins, gaining little or nothing and then locking them out of the patron

in games with hlaalu, the npcs will sacrifice every card they buy, so even if they get a good card, you 100% for sure know they are going to sacrifice it the next time it comes up in their draw, its insanely predictable

the novice npcs rarely use the treasury unless they havent burned their patron use, and dont have enough coin to buy anything from the tavern (though they prioritize buying from the tavern regardless of the type of card, for example if they have 2 coin left and the only 2 coin card is a black sacrament card to knock out an agent, they will buy it even if you have no agents available to knock out)

playing with rahjin and hlaalu is an excellent way to win against the npcs with the current AI, with hlaalu they sacrifice every card they buy and rarely use the treasury thus making their economy and power generation pretty low, with rahjin you can stall them further with bewilderments (the npc may occasionally use the rahjin patron on you now, but the npc will not prioritize getting rid of the bewilderments, if they buy like ragpicker or another card remover, they remove gold coin instead of bewilderments)

if the reach deck is in play and they get one or 2 of the agents that can remove cards from their deck, they will actually 100% just remove every card from their own deck

i was playing against an npc like that, they were actually beating me at the time (they got to around 32 prestige when i still had less than 10), and they had 3 of the reach agents to remove cards from their deck, when they got to around 32 prestige, they had no cards left in their deck except the 3 agents, and then the following turn they removed those agents and literally had 0 cards to play with, i was sitting there playing by myself effectively because at that point it was impossible for me to lose
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    Options
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i was playing against an npc like that, they were actually beating me at the time (they got to around 32 prestige when i still had less than 10), and they had 3 of the reach agents to remove cards from their deck, when they got to around 32 prestige, they had no cards left in their deck except the 3 agents, and then the following turn they removed those agents and literally had 0 cards to play with, i was sitting there playing by myself effectively because at that point it was impossible for me to lose

That's fantastic.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's fantastic.

i was actually discussing that situation with a friend in game

if you removed all of the cards in your deck, it might as well be considered an auto-loss because you have nothing to play, so you couldnt gain coin, power, or prestige to do anything and at that point it would be impossible to win

against players it is very very unlikely to happen, but still technically possible
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    Options
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stuartx13 wrote: »
    Ya TOT is not fun anymore with the thing's that have been put in.And lack of any deves responce is telling @ZOS_Kevin

Yes I couldn't agree more. This is my major complaint. Really it just isn't any fun any more.

Hello, it a game! I play to enjoy myself not to be annoyed.
    Edited by MidniteOwl1913 on 30 June 2023 23:05
    PS5/NA
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quit playing ToT quite awhile ago but did the tournament quests on my new character just to get them out of the way. The NPC's are definitely more difficult to the point that it's not even remotely enjoyable.
    PCNA
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear so many players say that ToT isn't fun for them anymore.

It's still fun for me, although I've cut back on it since well before Necrom's release-- that is to say, rather than playing 3 NPC matches for the daily and later on playing 3 or more additional matches just for fun, I'm just playing 3 for the daily. But that has nothing to do with the NPCs' AI; I simply enjoy a wide variety of content in the game, so I like to divide my time between different things.

At first the updated NPCs were somewhat annoying and frustrating, but once I became familiar with their preferred strategies it became easy/ier to beat them. Now I enjoy playing the expert NPCs as I did before the update.

To be honest, I think it might be more interesting if each update added another strategy for each rank of NPC but without removing their previous strategies, such that each NPC would have a pool of different strategies for the game to randomly choose between for each match. That would add more unpredictability to the matches, although once we became familiar with all of their potential strategies we could still be able to anticipate their moves.
    Options
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your reply.

i pretty much only play novice, and i wouldnt call them "proficient" with the patrons, they will just spam whichever one they have the ability to do so

in games with the crow, the npcs will frequently hit the crow patron with only 1-2 coins, gaining little or nothing and then locking them out of the patron

in games with hlaalu, the npcs will sacrifice every card they buy, so even if they get a good card, you 100% for sure know they are going to sacrifice it the next time it comes up in their draw, its insanely predictable

the novice npcs rarely use the treasury unless they havent burned their patron use, and dont have enough coin to buy anything from the tavern (though they prioritize buying from the tavern regardless of the type of card, for example if they have 2 coin left and the only 2 coin card is a black sacrament card to knock out an agent, they will buy it even if you have no agents available to knock out)

playing with rahjin and hlaalu is an excellent way to win against the npcs with the current AI, with hlaalu they sacrifice every card they buy and rarely use the treasury thus making their economy and power generation pretty low, with rahjin you can stall them further with bewilderments (the npc may occasionally use the rahjin patron on you now, but the npc will not prioritize getting rid of the bewilderments, if they buy like ragpicker or another card remover, they remove gold coin instead of bewilderments)

if the reach deck is in play and they get one or 2 of the agents that can remove cards from their deck, they will actually 100% just remove every card from their own deck

You know what? You are absolutely right!

I didn't notice, but I've now played a few rounds with the Hlaalu deck and they are sacrificing perfectly good agent cards.
    Options
  • tralmekub17_ESO
    Honestly the daily against the NPC isn't worth anymore. The rewards aren't bad, but now it takes 40-45 minutes to complete. And in addition to that the game just isn't as much fun. Luck plays much more a role in winning. It only takes a few bad rounds at the start and there is no recovering. I don't enjoy having to play multiple additional games to finish the quest.

I don't understand who benefits by these changes.

Yeah, I don't know what they did to the NPCs this time, I've found the challenge increase in past patches to be perfectly fine. I might struggle for a few games, but then am able to get back into the swing of things, even if I lost more matches than I used to as the challenge increased. The newest change, however, made me stop doing the dailies (and therefore playing ToT altogether). I have a finite amount of time to play, it now seems like a wasteful use of that time. The rewards for playing against NPCs have never been compelling to me, I just enjoyed playing ToT. Now that enjoyment is gone.
    Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That's fantastic.

i was actually discussing that situation with a friend in game

if you removed all of the cards in your deck, it might as well be considered an auto-loss because you have nothing to play, so you couldnt gain coin, power, or prestige to do anything and at that point it would be impossible to win

against players it is very very unlikely to happen, but still technically possible

Strictly speaking, that depends on whether you had agents out that could produce power or coin. But yeah, if even those were removed, then you're right.
    Options
  • BahometZ
    BahometZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having played a bunch of games in the new patch trying in vain to get that damn lead, I've noticed that expert is the most balanced and enjoyable to play. Used to be I could speed through novices, but now they are annoying and grindy, playing more complex but ultimately making predictable and dumb moves, simply delaying the game for no benefit. The AI changes to novice are inelegant, and make easy games longer.

If I want a challenge I play expert, if I just need to grind out some coffers, there is not really any option now, because npcs will spam patrons mindlessly, so you are constantly playing whackamole.

And then once you've slogged it out you get some deni, 200 gold and a drink recipe that will never be made :/

Overall a really dissatisfying experience. Each day ToT looks more and more like a waste of game resources. What a cringe addition to the game.
    Pact Magplar - Max CP (NA XB)
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other night I finally had a match where the Expert NPC eliminated every single card in its deck. I was behind by about 10 Prestige (something like 17 to 7) when I suddenly noticed that the NPC had only 1 card. I was like, "Wut?" I took my turn and then it was the NPC's turn. It played its card, which was 3 coins (the 2-cost Hlaalu card). One of the cards in the tavern was a 3-cost contract card that lets you remove one of your played cards-- so it bought that card, removed the Hlaalu card from its played cards pile, and was left with 0 cards. Needless to say, I came up from behind and won the match.
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other night I finally had a match where the Expert NPC eliminated every single card in its deck. I was behind by about 10 Prestige (something like 17 to 7) when I suddenly noticed that the NPC had only 1 card. I was like, "Wut?" I took my turn and then it was the NPC's turn. It played its card, which was 3 coins (the 2-cost Hlaalu card). One of the cards in the tavern was a 3-cost contract card that lets you remove one of your played cards-- so it bought that card, removed the Hlaalu card from its played cards pile, and was left with 0 cards. Needless to say, I came up from behind and won the match.

this just further makes me believe that the NPC AI is identical regardless if its novice, proficient, or expert lol

the only real difference between the NPCs is the availability of decks
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

this just further makes me believe that the NPC AI is identical regardless if its novice, proficient, or expert lol

the only real difference between the NPCs is the availability of decks

The few times that I've played the Novice NPCs, they were definitely using different logic than the Expert NPCs.

Right now, Expert NPCs will typically begin their turns by using the Treasury to convert a 1-coin card to a 2-coin card, then they'll buy a card from the Tavern if they can afford one. There are exceptions, such as if a very desirable card is in the Tavern that they can afford only if they skip using the Treasury-- but they'll leave some desirable cards untouched in favor of using the Treasury, so there's some kind of prioritizing in their logic which determines when to buy a desirable card versus when to use the Treasury. This is in sharp contrast to the pre-Necrom Expert NPCs, who put a higher priority on buying cards versus using the Treasury.

On the other hand, the logic of the Novice NPCs seems to be focused primarily on achieving a patron win, which I have not seen to be the case with the Expert NPCs.

The most problematic logic with all NPCs seems to be with respect to replacing cards in the Tavern and removing cards from their hands. In short, they are programmed to always replace or remove the maximum number of cards, regardless of whether or not it makes any sense.

"Replace up to 2 cards in the Tavern"-- they act like it says "You MUST replace 2 cards in the Tavern," and they are programmed to always replace whichever cards they consider to be the best ones (presumably to prevent their opponent from being able to buy those cards), even if they would have been able to buy one or both of those cards themselves during their turn.

"Remove up to 2 cards from your played pile"-- they act like it says "You MUST remove 2 cards from your played pile."

Also, they still continue to cheat when using the "Replace up to X cards in the Tavern," because theur programming allows them to replace cards which don't come up until after they've bought the card that lets them replace up to X cards. Players are not allowed to do that because if we buy a card that lets us replace cards from the Tavern, the game refuses to draw another card to replace the one we just bought until after we've selected the card(s) we want to replace (if any) and then confirmed our choice. In contrast, the game will go ahead a draw another card when the NPC buys a 'Replace" card, even before the NPC has made and confirmed its choice, which thereby allows it to replace the card that was just drawn.
    Options