The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Status on Hardware Refresh & Whitestrake’s Mayhem Event [January 2023]

• thejadefalcon
    thejadefalcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early April is about to arrive and you've just scheduled the Anniversary event through mid-April, kicking off immediately after Jester's with no break. It's time to actually answer the question, ZOS, rather than conveniently ignoring it as you have since this thread first went up. Are you going to schedule a massive downtime for PC EU during the middle of an event again?

@ZOS_MattFiror @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early April is about to arrive and you've just scheduled the Anniversary event through mid-April, kicking off immediately after Jester's with no break. It's time to actually answer the question, ZOS, rather than conveniently ignoring it as you have since this thread first went up. Are you going to schedule a massive downtime for PC EU during the middle of an event again?

ZOS_MattFiror ZOS_GinaBruno ZOS_Kevin

It could mean that they are going to do it the week of Apr 17. I guess they aren't quick on the updates, but hopefully, if they do it that week, they will drop a dime and let people know in advance. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kevin said on 9th March that they planed for early April. If that is still the case, we should get date info tomorrow. They have maintenances during events so that probably wont influence the date.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not holding my breath but I sure would love to be wrong
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi all, just posted a new update on the hardware refresh here.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Wolfkeks wrote: »
    Thank you for the update Kevin! Might not be the right thread but do you know if there is an update for the sever re-architecture (I think this was what it's called)?

The team is working on this. But this is also a long and slow process. So there are not any like "milestone" progress points to announce yet. But the best answer right now is work is ongoing.

@ZOS_Kevin Thanks for the status update. Two questions I'm hoping you can get the team to answer.

1. What actually are the milestones in all of this? I'm sure they can appreciate why players want more details than "work is ongoing". Again, more context would be nice.
    2. What will this effort actually fix? If that's not entirely known yet, which I'm sure it's challenging given the scope, but at least give us a sense of what will be improved. It's no secret that the last few updates have been problematic nor that Cyrodiil hasn’t been very performant in years.
    Edited by Destai on 31 March 2023 21:55
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well. The big maintenance has happened. We're supposed to have better hardware now.

I am having the following issues with it:

(1) Excessive choppiness and lag whenever coming into a town, or even starting a dungeon.

(2) Have crashed to desktop four times, and to blackscreen three times.

All of which was not happening before the last maintenance.

Based on the above, I would opine that the new hardware and systems are simply not ready for a Whitestrake's Mayhem yet, and more needs to be done to make the game playable. There really is no good excuse for this: computer hardware is a lot more powerful now than it was when the game was first created, graphics cards have got a lot better, connection is supposed to have improved, performance should be universally smooth by now.
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually have 0 lag now, its amazing :D
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    First day of event on PS NA there has been massive, crippling lag when only 6-8 enemy players attacked a keep. Everything stopped for about 10 seconds and I thought the game had crashed.

I don’t think we will be enjoying our event as much as those who got their hardware refresh.

On the flip side I don’t think many people are queueing up, I got on my home campaign Gray Host this morning with only a five minute wait. First day of previous events it would have been more than one hour already.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First day of event on PS NA there has been massive, crippling lag when only 6-8 enemy players attacked a keep. Everything stopped for about 10 seconds and I thought the game had crashed.

I don’t think we will be enjoying our event as much as those who got their hardware refresh.

On the flip side I don’t think many people are queueing up, I got on my home campaign Gray Host this morning with only a five minute wait. First day of previous events it would have been more than one hour already.

Last time I went into Cyrodiil it wasn't even during an event and the performance was the worst I've ever seen. There's no way I'll spend even a few minutes in there until we get the upgrade.
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am convinced at this point it is a hardware issue on the players side if there is that bad lag. I recently upgraded my pc and its only a mid level gaming pc, but still, 100 on 100 fights 0 lag, 60 fps, 100 draw distance. I was always very vocal about the lag issue, but for me, it has vanished.
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jammy420 wrote: »

I am convinced at this point it is a hardware issue on the players side if there is that bad lag. I recently upgraded my pc and its only a mid level gaming pc, but still, 100 on 100 fights 0 lag, 60 fps, 100 draw distance. I was always very vocal about the lag issue, but for me, it has vanished.

Not sure why you're comparing Pc to playstation NA. There's a stark difference between the two, also PC has had hardware refresh updates, Playstation NA server has not. They are still running on the same 2014 hardware whereas PC got updated last year. It's quite literally not even comparable.
    Edited by xDeusEJRx on 13 May 2023 13:41
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    xDeusEJRx wrote: »

Not sure why you're comparing Pc to playstation NA. There's a stark difference between the two, also PC has had hardware refresh updates, Playstation NA server has not. They are still running on the same 2014 hardware whereas PC got updated last year. It's quite literally not even comparable.

Looks like we get our server upgrades this coming Tuesday, judging by the PS NA 14-hour maintenance banner now posted. :smile:
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is. The ps hardware simply is not powerful enough to handle the game nowadays. It used to be, is not now. PC EU recently got upgraded a month or so ago. I then upgraded my pc as well, and I have 0 lag. My wife, with her 5 yr old pc, now has issues, even with the server upgrade. Logic dictates this is now a hardware issue, and zos is pushing out stuff the older hardware cannot handle, all the while not increasing the minimum specs on pc, and all the while not taking into account the ps5s aging hardware.
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is. The ps hardware simply is not powerful enough to handle the game nowadays. It used to be, is not now. PC EU recently got upgraded a month or so ago. I then upgraded my pc as well, and I have 0 lag. My wife, with her 5 yr old pc, now has issues, even with the server upgrade. Logic dictates this is now a hardware issue, and zos is pushing out stuff the older hardware cannot handle, all the while not increasing the minimum specs on pc, and all the while not taking into account the ps5s aging hardware.

Again it makes no sense to compare PC to playstation. PC has had more investment put into maintaining it (they have had server hardwares updated and playstation has not. So it's like comparing apples to oranges, I'm not even sure why you're trying to make this argument, it's pointless. Of course PC's and playstations at their core have differences in hardware, but at the same time ZOS has actually put effort into keeping PC servers updated, playstation servers have not.

Also it seem pointless what you're doing, faulting people for using a product that's being sold to them for not being up to snuff. Even if we assume it's playstation's bad hardware, it seems weird to put fault on consumer for using a product being sold to them that can't be kept up to standards by the devs. What you're saying is very strange.
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Even on PS4 the game runs great at the moment. On Playstation EU, since the "hardware refresh". So i guess your logic is flawed. And all the talk about "we don't know what to do to fix the performance issues, we have to make a million tests first" was just wasted time.
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lebkuchen wrote: »

Even on PS4 the game runs great at the moment. On Playstation EU, since the "hardware refresh". So i guess your logic is flawed. And all the talk about "we don't know what to do to fix the performance issues, we have to make a million tests first" was just wasted time.

I have seen many people complain about ps4 performance in cyrodiil. That is where the performance was most glaring. If it isnt a hardware issue, how can you explain me not having any lag, and people who i played with before still complaining about lag and performance?

Again it makes no sense to compare PC to playstation. PC has had more investment put into maintaining it (they have had server hardwares updated and playstation has not. So it's like comparing apples to oranges, I'm not even sure why you're trying to make this argument, it's pointless. Of course PC's and playstations at their core have differences in hardware, but at the same time ZOS has actually put effort into keeping PC servers updated, playstation servers have not.

Also it seem pointless what you're doing, faulting people for using a product that's being sold to them for not being up to snuff. Even if we assume it's playstation's bad hardware, it seems weird to put fault on consumer for using a product being sold to them that can't be kept up to standards by the devs. What you're saying is very strange.

I was faulting ZoS for not thinking about how hardware on the consoles are aging, not the players. And just pointing out an observation I made, and both you and another person jumped down my throat for it.
  • apri
    apri
    ✭✭✭✭
    The ps hardware simply is not powerful enough to handle the game nowadays. (...) I am convinced at this point it is a hardware issue on the players side if there is that bad lag. I recently upgraded my pc and its only a mid level gaming pc, but still, 100 on 100 fights 0 lag, 60 fps, 100 draw distance.
    Lag is a different thing than framerate or draw distance. It is important to understand this because lag and client performance bottlenecks have different origins. In general, PS5 is a very capable machine and it is pretty astonishing what it can accomplish if that power is utilized well. It's so strong that a lot of games nowadays run better on PS5 around release than on mid-tier PCs. And with that said, even in ESO the upgrade from PS4 to PS5 is well worth it to fix a lot of client-based issues like poor framerates in certain instances. Draw distance is a topic of its own. Some seems to be hard coded in the game and not fixable at least on console but that's a different topic.

However key is here what the upgrade from PS4 to PS5 does not fix. It cannot fix lag if it occurs. That was very evident before the PS server hardware upgrade. While framerate was ok in Cyrodiil on PS5, lag kept be equally annoying, regardless of playing on PS4 or PS5. So regardless of the aged or brand new console hardware. That is evidently showing that the issue of lag must be something that's not primarily caused by the client's hardware. So the "aged" console hardware you mention is actually a good field test against your argument. It's not the console's hardware that caused the server lag in first place, it must be something else, most likely the servers. New servers on PS 4/5 EU made it a lot better but it's still not perfect.
    Edited by apri on 16 May 2023 16:25
  • goboltz
    goboltz
    ✭✭✭
    The Server WAS better, But . . . Still had issues that Are NOT related to the client. Many others got kicked way more than they had before, The system would lock you "in Combat" and /reloadui , bar-swap, dodge-roll and even death wouldn't clear it. Had to Walk from Keep to Keep, really kills the Vibe you know!
    I believe they NEED to look at the Gateway, it needs more resources, bandwidth or something, If the Server is New & has enough memory and drives allocated, then the "Bottle-neck" has to be the Gateway !
    NO, it's Not the Console, PS5 is equal to or better than 80% of the PC's that are playing. If they put in something new that uses multithreading or Tech not in the Old consoles than only they would have more issues. I know they have to PAY for the host or gateway & the Accounting Geeks will keep them from spending more than they budget, but Please, Get More Money to Akamai to get the proper things done, the ping & Latency since it's inception have been Horrible ! PC & PS (Prob. XB Too ).
    [PS5] [NA] [EP] - "Cheese for Everyone" !
  • Knockmaker
    Knockmaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any news on Code Rewrite? It has been way too long to tell the players that there is still no update no ETA on it. People are eagerly waiting for some concrete results and progress.
  • Wuduwasa13
    Wuduwasa13
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any update on Xbox EU refresh?

The last I believe we were advised of was that there has been a setback due to an undisclosed issue at your Frankfurt data centre & further details would be revealed shortly.

Can we, the customer, have an update on:

1) what the issue at the data centre was & whether it has been remedied?
    2) if not, an eta on a remedy?
    3) how the issue impacts the advancing of the update / refresh?
    4) the estimated trajectory of the project as a whole now & when customers can expect to see stable & consistent improvements to performance which has of late deteriorated into absolutely unacceptable states?

Many thanks
  • Knockmaker
    Knockmaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Knockmaker wrote: »
    Any news on Code Rewrite? It has been way too long to tell the players that there is still no update no ETA on it. People are eagerly waiting for some concrete results and progress.

OK, since when do ZoS ignore status update requests by playerbase completely? The code is pasta as we all can see and it has been way too long and we would like to hear an update on what the latest situation with the code re-write is, PLEASE.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

OK, since when do ZoS ignore status update requests by playerbase completely? The code is pasta as we all can see and it has been way too long and we would like to hear an update on what the latest situation with the code re-write is, PLEASE.

It was posted 4 days ago:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/637691/server-multithreading-update-july-2023#latest
  • Knockmaker
    Knockmaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/637691/server-multithreading-update-july-2023#latest

That talks about multithreading. As far as I understand, the code re-write is not about multithreading only. Albeit, it is unfortunate to see them give up on multithreading, the code re-write overall may be continuing and it would be nice to hear some updates on it.
  • Zabagad
    Zabagad
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That talks about multithreading. As far as I understand, the code re-write is not about multithreading only. Albeit, it is unfortunate to see them give up on multithreading, the code re-write overall may be continuing and it would be nice to hear some updates on it.
    I understood it at the beginning of 2022 like you.
    I was hoping that the code re-write includes a new base of code, so that they are maybe able to
    1) get rid of the "in combat bug" and
    2) are able to limit HoT like vigor to 2 or 3 instances.
    I was guessing that they are not able to fix these two very big issues (and for sure other stuff) without a new base code and and I think topics like that could/would increase the performance.

But then - over the periodic updates (lol) the old name "PvP Update" shifted to "multithreading" and was delayed due to the delayed server upgrade. Multithread and new server fit perfectly, but a changed base code for all the other stuff wouldn't necessarily need new servers. (hint 1)

As I already mentioned "periodic updates" (lol again) (which in my opinion is a mess of forum posts + streams + social media + articles on the webside) never ever (if I didn't miss it) any hint that the rewrite includes more then multithreading.
    (hint 2)

I would have assumed they would be talking about it by now at the latest, because with the last message "we were not successful with our multithreading," a big but we still work on.... would have been very important to stick another carrot in our face.... (hint 3)

So - I was hoping the same - but my hopes are gone...
    Edited by Zabagad on 10 July 2023 08:25
    PC EU (noCP AD) Grey/Grau AD
  • Knockmaker
    Knockmaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zabagad wrote: »

I understood it at the beginning of 2022 like you.
    I was hoping that the code re-write includes a new base of code, so that they are maybe able to
    1) get rid of the "in combat bug" and
    2) are able to limit HoT like vigor to 2 or 3 instances.
    I was guessing that they are not able to fix these two very big issues (and for sure other stuff) without a new base code and and I think topics like that could/would increase the performance.

But then - over the periodic updates (lol) the old name "PvP Update" shifted to "multithreading" and was delayed due to the delayed server upgrade. Multithread and new server fit perfectly, but a changed base code for all the other stuff wouldn't necessarily need new servers. (hint 1)

As I already mentioned "periodic updates" (lol again) (which in my opinion is a mess of forum posts + streams + social media + articles on the webside) never ever (if I didn't miss it) any hint that the rewrite includes more then multithreading.
    (hint 2)

I would have assumed they would be talking about it by now at the latest, because with the last message "we were not successful with our multithreading," a big but we still work on.... would have been very important to stick another carrot in our face.... (hint 3)

So - I was hoping the same - but my hopes are gone...

Interesting. That gives me the impression of a discreet transition from the initial code re-write along with gradual change in the discourse over time. @ZOS_Kevin can we kindly get a clarification, please?
  • Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget when this "code rewrite" project was announced. It was in January 2022, shortly after a faux pas on twitch.

If you missed it, you can read what happened in articles like this one: https://www.mmorpg.com/news/esos-matt-firor-addresses-pvp-concerns-after-negative-stream-clip-upsets-players-2000124076

And here is the link to the announcement: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/595442/eso-pvp-update-updated-june-2022/p1

Performance problems (and bugs) have always been a trigger for ZOS employees (and their families and friends i guess). There have been countless questionable incidents over the years, but no real communication. I mean, i would be angry too if my creative work would be overshadowed by technical problems all the time. But we never get to see the people responsible for the problems, and we still don't know what's really going on.

We don't even know why the server hardware refresh made performance so much better (at least for a while). Especially after they told us multiple times that it's not a hardware issue, and it can't be fixed by throwing money at it.

When there is no real information, people will speculate wildly. And protest. Or just leave. Would be interesting to know why ZOS doesn't seem to have a problem with that.

After Update 35 and all the other major problems in 2022 (block bug...) they announced to do better (again). The new server hardware was a great start. Not perfectly executed, but at least it was a step in the right direction. Let's just hope they can fix their game before it's too late.
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS used to deliver a nearly bug free PvP experience with four times the population cap and double the group size.

What happened? Why can't they just do what they used to do with apparent ease?
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget when this "code rewrite" project was announced. It was in January 2022, shortly after a faux pas on twitch.

If you missed it, you can read what happened in articles like this one: https://www.mmorpg.com/news/esos-matt-firor-addresses-pvp-concerns-after-negative-stream-clip-upsets-players-2000124076

And here is the link to the announcement: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/595442/eso-pvp-update-updated-june-2022/p1

Performance problems (and bugs) have always been a trigger for ZOS employees (and their families and friends i guess). There have been countless questionable incidents over the years, but no real communication. I mean, i would be angry too if my creative work would be overshadowed by technical problems all the time. But we never get to see the people responsible for the problems, and we still don't know what's really going on.

We don't even know why the server hardware refresh made performance so much better (at least for a while). Especially after they told us multiple times that it's not a hardware issue, and it can't be fixed by throwing money at it.

When there is no real information, people will speculate wildly. And protest. Or just leave. Would be interesting to know why ZOS doesn't seem to have a problem with that.

After Update 35 and all the other major problems in 2022 (block bug...) they announced to do better (again). The new server hardware was a great start. Not perfectly executed, but at least it was a step in the right direction. Let's just hope they can fix their game before it's too late.

Yes it's interesting that they went from 'The new servers won't help performance' to 'The server upgrades have done more to help performance than multithreading'.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • GooGa592
    GooGa592
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

Yes it's interesting that they went from 'The new servers won't help performance' to 'The server upgrades have done more to help performance than multithreading'.

Typically new hardware equates to better performance. Otherwise, why invest in the new hardware? With servers, more servers typically equates to better performance as the calculations are spread out over more processors. These are just general truisms with computer technology.