The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Self-imposed Gameplay Conditions - The RP Addon in Your Head

• StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magenpie wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies! So interesting!

I've made a Bosmer who is very skittish of other races and so I'm not doing 'quests' as such, but just exploring and if I meet another Bosmer, I talk to them, and if they have a quest, I'll probably do it (sort of depends on what it's about too.)

I've switched off all the UI quest stuff and I've got Shinni's 'True Exploration' mod, which hides the map until you explore it.

I'm going to try and only use stamina skills, unless they are for vanishing or evasion (rolled a NB for this purpose.) She will only attack in self-defence or for hunting or 'pest control'. The exception is dungeons just because she needs to level up somehow! ;)

She only goes to non-Bosmer settlements at night and only uses the out-of-town entrances to non-Bosmer Outlaw's Refuges.

I'm going to impose other things about crafting, food etc too. :) Oh - I can only craft in Grahtwood or at the hidden crafting stations, not in towns.

Not very innovative I guess but I just wanted a change from the Mary-Sue Hero questing. I'll see how it goes.

If anyone has any other ideas (or indeed, ways of getting some xp other than exploring and crafting!) I'd love to know. Also, if you know any must-have rp addons, I'd love to know them too.

Hurrah for RP!

How I WISH this was the default for the game on console. I don't need quest markers, just put a feint glow on items that I might need and it would be up to me to find them!
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roechacca wrote: »
    I stopped playing with a HUD or add-ons. It's a lot harder then I anticipated.

That's because the game doesn't give you enough information to finish the quests without a quest marker.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am Currently playing a zone and Role playing to get a horse... :smile:

A Khajiit I helped informed me of stable Master looking for rare fish in Exhange for a horse, If I am lucky enough to have cauth it.

I Caught A DreughtFish The stable Master was Happy and let me borrow a horse for 2 Weeks as long as it
    s feed.
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LashanW wrote: »
    So I actually started questing again on my questing guy, picking up where I left off in the Rift (after this and Craglorn I'd have done all the quests in base game).
    But this time I have a lot of my stats nerfed. This way I'm able to use a wide variety of offensive and defensive skills I like and my enemies are not dropping like flies in a second. I'm actually having fun. I never had major problems with story writing in base game zones, combat was the only thing stopping me from having fun. I actually really like some of the stories and NPCs I've met so far.

Here's the nerfs I have chosen,
    • Blue CP tree completely removed. Green CP tree not changed. Red tree, only sustain stars slotted. No damage reduction stuff.
    • Attribute points removed.
    • No buff food and potions.
    • All passives that increases my damage or healing, removed (including weapon, armor and racial passives)
    • Steed mundus (as it does not increase my damage in any way, and I like to travel without my mount when I'm questing/exploring)
    • Non-optimal traits for weapons and armor (I mostly use "Invigorating" and "Decisive")
    • Mostly blue quality gear that are not very strong.
    • Critical attacks nullified (I'll explain how this was achieved)

One thing I will not budge on is sustain. I really dislike heavy attacking in ESO and sustain issues in general. So I kept passives, CP and max quality enchantments that increase my magicka recovery. (magicka is my main resource)

Nullifying crits
    Afaik it's impossible to reduce crit chance to zero (all characters have a base crit rate of 10%). But, it IS possible to reduce crit damage modifier to zero. All characters have a base crit damage modifier of 50%. So if you don't use any gear, passives, skills or CP stars that increase crit damage, that base amount of 50% is all you have. Now if you equip Malacath's ring ( https://eso-sets.com/set/malacaths-band-of-brutality ), your crit damage will drop to zero.
    This is pretty nice as it means it doesn't matter how high your crit rate becomes, there won't be extra damage. So you can use sets that has crit chance stats without issues. It also means you can use sets/skills that proc from crits. Because technically you still crit, they just do same damage as regular attacks.

Skills, gear and CP I'm currently using,
    wACCnKq.png

I chose Worm and Ebon sets mostly for cosmetic reasons. I LOVE the little blue and red balls floating around me. My guy's outfit is also red and blueish so I think it matches nicely. Also these 2 sets barely increases my damage output.

With all this my dps is most of the time below 10k and I think have like 8-9k armor without major resolve.

I actually came pretty close to dying in 2 occasions while questing in the Rift. Once was during a side quest near Ragged Hills wayshrine. Was going to stop a worm cult portal and it was spawning some nasty stuff. Exploding skeletons and a Bone Colossus that could do a lot of damage. And Mr. Big Bones here had more than 250k health.

The other case was when I was fighting Thalik WormDaddy (leader of the worm cult in the Rift). He was doing a lot of damage with his basic attacks but luckily my 3 healing abilities were able to keep me alive.
    Here's a video of it,
    https://youtu.be/yzF39NGOwpU

I really think customizable debuff sliders can solve many of the immersion problems of players like me and it shouldn't be costly at all to implement them like battlespirit. If this feature was available in the game I'd have bought High Isle chapter in a heartbeat. I hope ZoS will do something about this sooner than later.

Found a great post link here
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Post by theloons on Reddit

Ironman permadeath ruleset. Wish me luck.

This definitely isn't everyone's cup of tea, but my biggest gripe with ESO since One Tamriel has been the (lack of) difficulty. I need a challenge to stay invested. I also like the sense of exploration that older MMOs provided. Modern MMO's have trivialized death penalty, traversing the game world, individual monster encounters, etc. There is nothing wrong with that, and it's probably led to the growth of the genre in general, but I find myself wishing, as many others do, that there were difficulty modifiers to help make a challenge for those who want it. LOTRO has something like this on certain servers--an adjustable difficulty. You can always gimp yourself artificially in ESO by not wearing armor, not using CP, etc., but there has to be some form of character progression or I can't be invested either. The goal of this is to, therefore:

- Add a challenge and greater risk to the game
    - Help facilitate exploration
    - Get away from the 'check-off zone A, move on to zone B' mentality I typically have with this game, that gets too formulaic after a while (this isn't entirely eliminated, but I'm making allowances for other things to break it up some)

To try to capture what I am looking for, I have come up with a ruleset for my newest character, a DK, that I am hoping will give me what I am looking for.

First off, I'm using certain immersion mods, such as True Exploration to require maps to be explored, No Compass to disable the compass and a few others. These are personal tastes, and the general rules could still be followed by someone not interested in using these mods (or someone who can't, such as console players).

Finally, here are the actual rules:

- No fast travel unless required (using a boat to get to an island)
    - No using gold or items from another character, mine or otherwise
    - Only gear found by the character or crafted by the character is permitted.
    - Permadeath, with the following exceptions: PvP, group dungeons*, and arenas.
    - No CP before level 50 (after hitting 50, I will likely use CP)

* if I enter a dungeon solo, permadeath still applies. I like soloing dungeons, so this will force me to take those encounters seriously.

Other things I am doing which are adding to the exploration and fun for me at least are when I get a treasure map, I'm traveling to that zone to handle it. Right now for instance I am in Deshaan and got a Deadlands map, so later on I'll be making the journey to Fargrave and finding that treasure. I'll do sidequests that I run into along the way but otherwise will probably head back to Deshaan afterward.

The biggest risk is likely going to be WBs. I still plan on completing those (and I am using a mod that shows them as incomplete, overriding the new normal of WB completion being account-wide). Even teaming up with someone, WBs can be a risk so will have to watch out for those.

Anyway, sorry for my rant, just wanted to share this ruleset and see if anyone had any feedback, or if there is anything I'm not considering that may necessitate an adjustment. I want a fun permadeath challenge--locking myself out of PvP and group dungeons is not really going to be fun, so that's why I'm making those allowances. I may consider having permadeath count for solo arenas, but probably not--I don't think it would be fun to do that for vMA, for instance. Thanks for reading, if anyone bothered to do so1

I just like to share what others have posted so that it may inspire others
    Immersive Quests Addon
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Sjestenka
    Sjestenka
    ✭✭✭
    I don't follow any self imposed rules because it makes the game "gamey" for me, if that makes sense. When i solo RP i usually make it intuitively. That involves a lot of walking, occasional camping (ZOS put enough camps in every zone, i love that), /kneeling when some inspection needed, /praying at the wayshrines for favors from Divines.

Gamey skills must always match character's background. I guess it counts as a rule.. Like say my Sorc, girl from the Mages Guild, she's good at casting elemental magic but just can't get the hang of how Conjuration works. Therefore, no daedra summoning. Or ex-legionnaire girl - she was trained with shield fighting mostly so, no magic, only slashing and bashing. ( I'd call her DD but with 10K dps she probably don't deserve the title.. )

Oh, oh, and i imagine holding hands with Mirri <3 And every my character has different Mirri. She's a Mages Guild adept, daedra cultist, devout True Faith traveling monk.. Dragon Break can be handy.

Also, found out a while back that common folks prefered to travel on foot in medievals. Like, horses get tired too quickly, resting takes them longer. After that i mostly walk in high fantasy games, hah. Or jog, because gamepad allows
  • KitsuneShoujo
    KitsuneShoujo
    ✭✭✭
    This reminds me of the Eclair thing in Lotro, people wanted the game to take longer and have more immersive RP so they set rules for themselves and formed actual groups for stuff. Like they would walk everywhere, use the turtle stone to keep from out-leveling a zone. Sleep at night, eat and drink when needed, react to npcs an so on. Some of them even did permadeath. It's a lot of fun.
  • Crown_of_Antlers
    Crown_of_Antlers
    ✭✭✭
    Like they would walk everywhere, use the turtle stone to keep from out-leveling a zone.

All of my LOTRO characters had that turtle stone. In fact I wish ESO had something like that to slow down or entirely stop leveling until I'm ready for my characters to level up. Not all of us like to level up at the speed of light. Some of us actually like playing on a low level/weaker character.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sjestenka wrote: »
    Oh, oh, and i imagine holding hands with Mirri <3 And every my character has different Mirri. She's a Mages Guild adept, daedra cultist, devout True Faith traveling monk.. Dragon Break can be handy.

I really like this idea...up till now I'd kind of tried to keep Mirri "herself" and just have her hang with whatever member of the "extended family" needs help - but this is so much more cool!
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • ice34697
    ice34697
    ✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    Most of my characters have D&D-style moral and ethical alignments and won't do quests or tasks that conflict with their belief system (my true neutral character is my achievement monkey). They also all worship specific aedra or daedra and won't work against their respective lord's interests.

My Bosmer refuses to harvest anything but leather and ore.

One of my new character slots is home to a baby shadowscale that plans on racking up a enormous bounty and then trying to do the main quest / FG / MG while avoiding the guards as much as possible.

Refresh my memory:

Harvesting any form of plant life and animal life is in violation of the Green Pact, is it not? Does this apply to materials sent to you by your hierlings? i can't remember all the "ins and Outs" of the Green Pact