Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Game keeps Freezing

joshweps
joshweps
✭✭✭
My game keeps freezing in Kynarthis roost. I can't escape the game once it freezes and have to resort to turning my macs power off
  • EmperorBungholio
    same :( my mac is 2 yrs old and idk why the game makes it run like ***.
    i've had to hold my power button down 5 times in my first 2 days of playing.. :(!
  • General
    General
    Soul Shriven
    I run the client on a MAC and have had a great experience. The game crashes now and then, but no more than my friends who are on PC's. That just has to be the inherent problems with a new game launch. I have not yet had the game freeze up to cause me to hard re-boot my machine. But if I hear of a solution, I will come back and post it.

Good luck!
  • Hayward85
    Hayward85
    Yeah I have had the same issue. It was crashing all the time now after playing for a while it seems to slow up until the game crashes. Mine is a late 2011 MacBook pro.

Hardware Overview:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
  • Windshadow_ESO
    Windshadow_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    to run at about 20fps i hav most things at medium and a few options at off but once or twice every 15 min the game will freeze for a few sec and when it comes back the /fps will show 1 rather than 20 the same happens at high setting but the high gives a 'normal' /fps of about 12 which is not playable this was not seen in beta before march where high gave fps of about 25 and medium gave about 35 and the short freezing was not seen till the last two betas

Hardware Overview:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03
    Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0647
    Revision ID: 0x00a1
    ROM Revision: 3448
    gMux Version: 1.8.8
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Display Type: LCD
    Resolution: 1440 x 900
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes
    System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 13.1.0
    Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
    Boot Mode: Normal
    Computer Name: ---
    User Name: ---
    Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
    Time since boot: 4 days 9:18
    Edited by ZOS_SandraF on 5 April 2014 00:06
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    joshweps wrote: »
    My game keeps freezing in Kynarthis roost. I can't escape the game once it freezes and have to resort to turning my macs power off
    Can you post your System details which will help to give any advice especially graphics card, OS X version and CPU.

Apple icon (top left of menu bar) > About This Mac > More info…

There are quite a few threads posted on this issue on the PC TS section also/ For example here.

Worth checking there for some potential workarounds.

It depends a lot on your Mac why this may be so the details above is a good starting point.

Trying different graphics settings lowered or a lower resolution may help.

If you have less than 8GB of RAM then it's best to reboot the Mac before playing and also close all other apps in the background including the ESO Launcher which is not needed after the game is launched.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hayward85 wrote: »
    Yeah I have had the same issue. It was crashing all the time now after playing for a while it seems to slow up until the game crashes. Mine is a late 2011 MacBook pro.

Hardware Overview:
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    As you have the minimum 4GB of RAM it is important to follow the suggestions I posted above especially to reboot and close all other apps including the Launcher when playing. Also, there is a memory issue so lowering your Texture Quality setting can help for that.

Not sure which graphics card you have for that model. 256MB is bare minimum and will require Low settings and tweaking down.

For general FPS performance set Shadow Quality lower or Off will help the most. Always have Vsync switched OFF.

Try adjusting resolution down will help too.

Sometimes running in Fullscreen or Windowed can change performance. Try both.

It will help if you can post copy/paste of any crash reports to this thread so they can be passed direct to the development team with any feedback on location etc.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    to run at about 20fps i hav most things at medium and a few options at off but once or twice every 15 min the game will freeze for a few sec and when it comes back the /fps will show 1 rather than 20 the same happens at high setting but the high gives a 'normal' /fps of about 12 which is not playable this was not seen in beta before march where high gave fps of about 25 and medium gave about 35 and the short freezing was not seen till the last two betas

Hardware Overview:

---snip---
    @Windshadow_ESO thanks for posting system details. They help a lot to check possible issues.
    Please check other suggestions posted in this thread. The freezes appear to be cross-platform and server related. The suggestions may help to minimise them. If you get crashes please post to this thread.

Edited by Moonraker on 4 April 2014 18:10
  • Windshadow_ESO
    Windshadow_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The mac book pro is just slow so I use it for crafting when I watch TV in the evening

And Well my crashes are on my main computer a 2006 Mac Pro 1.1 with 20 gig ram and 10.7.5 with a ATI 4750 512k graphics card driving a pair of apple 24" 1920x1200 monitors... This will crash to the desk top every few hours. And I do send the auto generated details crash report with full details of what I was dooing but I can pass on the reports to you as well if you like as well as the terminal logs but since it has dual 3ghz 2core processors I just assumed that the problems were the not working with MULTI processor Mac Pro mentioned in the known bugs post above
    But this antique Mac Pro ( in August of 2006 it was about the fastest computer you could buy for cross platform unix and mac development but I am now retired hence the need to have old equipment last as long as I can) runs the game very well windowed at 1920x1200 mostly high options with few things turned off
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The mac book pro is just slow so I use it for crafting when I watch TV in the evening

And Well my crashes are on my main computer a 2006 Mac Pro 1.1 with 20 gig ram and 10.7.5 with a ATI 4750 512k graphics card driving a pair of apple 24" 1920x1200 monitors... This will crash to the desk top every few hours. And I do send the auto generated details crash report with full details of what I was dooing but I can pass on the reports to you as well if you like as well as the terminal logs but since it has dual 3ghz 2core processors I just assumed that the problems were the not working with MULTI processor Mac Pro mentioned in the known bugs post above
    But this antique Mac Pro ( in August of 2006 it was about the fastest computer you could buy for cross platform unix and mac development but I am now retired hence the need to have old equipment last as long as I can) runs the game very well windowed at 1920x1200 mostly high options with few things turned off
    I would appreciate copy/ paste of crashes when you can as samples to that thread. If nothing else it does help me understand what's going on and I do send them al to the developer team.

With your dual CPU Mac Pro check out this thread on these where someone posted a workaround that worked for them and is not too hard to do. Even though you are able to use it now it may help things.
  • Windshadow_ESO
    Windshadow_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, Moonraker will do Just wondering what di you do here you do not have the fancy official handle and Icon just wondered why
    this the info on the Antique ;-)
    2006 version 1.1 mac Pro
    Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
    Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 3 GHz
    Number of Processors: 2
    L2 Cache (per Processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 19 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
    SMC Version (system): 1.7f10

ATI Radeon HD 4870:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4870
    Slot: Slot-1
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x9440
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318
    Displays:
    LED Cinema Display:
    Resolution: 1920 x 1200
    Display Serial Number: 2A92311M0K0
    Rotation: Supported
    Connection Type: DisplayPort
    Cinema HD:
    Resolution: 1920 x 1200
    Display Serial Number: 2A62420GUG0
    Rotation: Supported

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2
    Boot Volume: Wells
    Computer Name: MacPro
    User Name: REDACTED
    64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No
    Time since boot: 6 days 9:40

tried to attach a 6k crash log but I don't think it worked
    I can email it if you give me an address of send ir as a pvt msg here
  • SilentVigil
    SilentVigil
    ✭✭
    I have to believe - and I have had similar experiences in other games like LoTRo that this is a memory leak - there may be server issues as well. Hopefully they can fix it. Make sure you submit the crash reports.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, Moonraker will do Just wondering what di you do here you do not have the fancy official handle and Icon just wondered why
    this the info on the Antique ;-)
    2006 version 1.1 mac Pro
    Hardware Overview:

---snip---

tried to attach a 6k crash log but I don't think it worked
    I can email it if you give me an address of send ir as a pvt msg here
    Got the message thanks. You can use Spoiler tags (explained in reply) to stop big post splurge.

Bad news it that your Dual-CPU Mac Pro is not officially supported for ESO :( If you check the (not great but has this detail) Known Issues sticky above.

Good news is that some ol' timers! have got them working or they work OK anyhow. There is a workaround on this thread on the subject here.
    Only the Nine Divines know ;) They don't have such fancy things as MVP or such like yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

As to why I am omnipotent here ATM is because I followed ESO development when I heard it was going to also have a native Mac client which is a rare treasure for us Mac gamers. Through that I got access to the PTS server and did Mac testing.

Being a grizzled Mac online gamer since 1999 I understand that the initial launch period is just when other Mac players need the most help and I want to help get as many in the game and enjoying it as I am able. I had some time on PTS testing and am happy to use my IE game and time once it cools down a bit. I'm in no hurry to level this game. It is one I really do want to savour rather than bum-rush to max level just to raid etc ;)

I'm no techie, just a fellow Mac head and always felt our small but close Mac community is all the better when we help each other.
    Edited by Moonraker on 8 April 2014 13:09
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have to believe - and I have had similar experiences in other games like LoTRo that this is a memory leak - there may be server issues as well. Hopefully they can fix it. Make sure you submit the crash reports.
    "One simply does not compare ESO to LOTRO" :)

I spent many hours trying to keep the LOTRO Mac client going in that Mac Tech forum section, despite the total lack of development even in beta and once it was pushed out the door; with Valamar who still valiantly soldiers on there /salutes. In the end. Despite being able to bandaid and get things at least working and helping those faced with the client issues; I just could not sink any more time or passion into it despite I love the IP to bits and loved some aspects of the game. From recent events it's pretty clear to me that it was always the case despite the golden words at launch. My name there was Toddlepip.

The great thing with ESO is that there is a living breathing Mac development and from what I have seen the commitment and experience show through. To have embedded an experienced Lead OSX Engineer in the design team for four years I think speaks for itself that ZOS committed to the Mac platform.

Yep, the memory issue remains and it unfortunate that the game carries legacy from aiming to support five year old computers which require 32-bit (in itself a limiting factor though not the whole reason) Work is ongoing now to get the most from the Mac client as it is and a 64-bit client which is in the development plan will remove it as an issue. All the other main bugs have been sorted for launch

That is a million miles for anything we ever saw with Mac LOTRO client though I was happy at the time to see a native client, it was never supported as it needed to be. And I also enjoy every much the Elder Scrolls IP too so it's a happy marriage.

Edited by Moonraker on 5 April 2014 04:01
  • SilentVigil
    SilentVigil
    ✭✭
    Well it's good to hear that they are committed and sounds like you were quite involved in the Mac LoTRo. I spend maybe a month or so with the mac client and it seem to work fine it would just crash when - well you know. Everyone just talked about memory leaks a lot.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well it's good to hear that they are committed and sounds like you were quite involved in the Mac LoTRo. I spend maybe a month or so with the mac client and it seem to work fine it would just crash when - well you know. Everyone just talked about memory leaks a lot.
    It did have fairly bad memory leak, as did the PC client though it varied over time OFC, especially in new Bree and new regions. Looked great but the additional textures caused problems.

Mac client still works just about. But over half the settings don't work even from beta etc.

Edited by Moonraker on 5 April 2014 05:12
  • Windshadow_ESO
    Windshadow_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    on the mac book pro the momentary freeze lasting up to ten sec continues.
    as does the total freeze up of the computer after an hour or so resulting in a power reset reboot as the only way to recover this is never seen on the old mac pro which does not suffer these mini freezes or total lockup computer freezes but neatly crashes out to the desktop crash reporter
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    on the mac book pro the momentary freeze lasting up to ten sec continues.
    as does the total freeze up of the computer after an hour or so resulting in a power reset reboot as the only way to recover this is never seen on the old mac pro which does not suffer these mini freezes or total lockup computer freezes but neatly crashes out to the desktop crash reporter
    Can you post the system details for the MacBook Pro including OSX version, model and graphics card and installed RAM. hard to give any suggestion without these details.

Check through these threads regarding freezing which are cross-platform with plenty for PCs.

Reasons for freezing like this may be:
    • Lag on server (server issues)
    • Latency (connection issues)
    • GPU (settings too high or card not able to cope. Lower settings . Vsync always OFF. Shadow Quality Off etc)
    • Overheating (not being cooled sufficiently. use tool to monitor adjust fans)
    • Hardware Failure (GPU or some other component failing)

You shouldn't need to use reboot Mac to quite the process. it can cause issues itself unless it really is the only way to quit. Try these especially the second which should work in nearly all cases. Important to hold it down as noted.
    Force Quit

Press Command-Option-Esc to Force Quit an application. it that does not work then try this which usually works even in Fulscreen mode.

If you cannot switch from the unresponsive app, press Command-Option-Shift-Esc for three seconds to force it to quit. This key combination tells OS X to force quit the frontmost app.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3411
    Edited by Moonraker on 8 April 2014 18:57
  • Windshadow_ESO
    Windshadow_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    the full details are on my post on the first page of this thread
    but there it is again
    Hardware Overview:
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03
    Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0647
    Revision ID: 0x00a1
    ROM Revision: 3448
    gMux Version: 1.8.8
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Resolution: 1440 x 900
    Built-In: Yes

System Version: OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 13.1.0
    Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
    Computer Name: ---
    User Name: ---
    Time since boot: 4 days 9:18
    the total freeze in this case means that no input is being taken from the mouse or keyboard so power cycling is the only way out I am well aware that this is a last resort move and I held Cmd option shift escape for about 15 sec to no avail
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    the full details are on my post on the first page of this thread
    but there it is again
    Hardware Overview:

the total freeze in this case means that no input is being taken from the mouse or keyboard so power cycling is the only way out I am well aware that this is a last resort move and I held Cmd option shift escape for about 15 sec to no avail
    It's not Command-Option-Shift which is normal Force Quit. It's;

Command-Option-Shift-Esc for three seconds to force it to quit. That will force quit the whole window. Will usually work when the other doesn't.

Have you checked the possible issue above? I can suggest app for temperature etc if needed. And details to do traceroute to check latency/ connection. You can use Hardware Test for possible hardware issue.
  • Windshadow_ESO
    Windshadow_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Well the machine is not running hot that's for sure and the combo was held for 15 sec not just 3 and yes all 4 keys.
    Ping is 34 milsec connection is to gig Ethernet to a 50/5 cable high speed (or as high as you can get in this state unless you are in an optical fiber area)

and the freezing lock up is not seen on this same computer running win 7 pro 64 sp1 under boot camp so I doubt it is hardware the only major variable would be the upto dat video card driver that I can use with windows and direct x rather than the mac open gl

video is set to mostly low with a few medium most extras set to off

The short freeze and return starts after a few min and then is about every 10 to 15 min and as the sesion goes on the freeze lengthinged from 2 to 4 sec to perhaps 15 sec befor the game goes on as normal with no action on my end required... then the final total freeze up
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well the machine is not running hot that's for sure and the combo was held for 15 sec not just 3 and yes all 4 keys.
    Ping is 34 milsec connection is to gig Ethernet to a 50/5 cable high speed (or as high as you can get in this state unless you are in an optical fiber area)

and the freezing lock up is not seen on this same computer running win 7 pro 64 sp1 under boot camp so I doubt it is hardware the only major variable would be the upto dat video card driver that I can use with windows and direct x rather than the mac open gl

video is set to mostly low with a few medium most extras set to off

The short freeze and return starts after a few min and then is about every 10 to 15 min and as the sesion goes on the freeze lengthinged from 2 to 4 sec to perhaps 15 sec befor the game goes on as normal with no action on my end required... then the final total freeze up
    So that at least rules out most obvious stuff.

If it runs fine via Bootcamp but not on Mac then like you say it points more towards the drivers being that much better for that card than the Apple ones. It is Mid 2009 model so don't expect much has been updated for those in a while in Updates. Possibly OpenGL difference though there are not many posts for the same. There are some but with all the other freezing threads on PC mostly it's hard to be precise.

All the Google searches for that model and card point to heat issues. One thing I notice with my iMac that the fans kick in a lot more than in OS X. It may be that the additional airflow is helping to keep it cooler. it doesn't have to happen during normal computer use but can occur under the load from 3D games. How is it with another similar game?

Personally I would monitor temperature while playing to discount that also.

Running out of ideas TBH. I'll send a post and keep looking around for any other information.
  • joshweps
    joshweps
    ✭✭✭
    So I Posted this April 3rd.
    Still play everyday love the game but Im still having the exact same problem very hour or 2 my game just freezes..I can't Cmnd alt esc (mac) I can't do anything I have to completely shut off the power.
    My mac runs the game perfectly except for this one issue can anyone please help?
  • Dimillian
    Dimillian
    ✭✭✭
    If you have what I have, and I'm on 10.10 beta. From time to time I have freeze, it's like having 1 fps every 10 seconds. I still hear the sound playing.

What I do is spam CMD + TAB to force the game to switch to Windowed mode, and when it finally transition to Windowed mode it unfreeze the game!

But IDK if this is your issue or me being on 10.10 beta.
    Edited by Dimillian on 8 July 2014 12:34
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    joshweps wrote: »
    So I Posted this April 3rd.
    Still play everyday love the game but Im still having the exact same problem very hour or 2 my game just freezes..I can't Cmnd alt esc (mac) I can't do anything I have to completely shut off the power.
    My mac runs the game perfectly except for this one issue can anyone please help?
    Try using the Apple window space quit command in this post above when it freezes next time which should quit even hard crashes like this when you can't reach the Desktop.

It sounds like it is hitting the memory limit and is hard crashing rather than quitting with error as it should. Not sure why this happens on a some Macs.

Please provide more details especially Mac model, OS X version, RAM installed, graphics card (details to get these above)

I would suggest that you try an uninstall and fresh install of ESO to rule out any data corruption and avoid using any addons while testing. Also, if you monitor memory usage in Activity Memory.

One thing to do is to monitor the Real Memory and Virtual Memory via Activity Monitor. Select the eso process and double click it or click the 'i' button to open the process window which will shows these clearly. When RM gets close to 2.7GB or VM 3.7GB quit the game and relaunch to clear the memory. It is not a workaround but just allows the player to anticipate when it may crash and relaunch.

It's not a fix but would avoid the hard crash before it happens.
  • Samm13
    Samm13
    Soul Shriven
    I was actually a pre order Emperial Edition and when the game first came out it ran great and froze very little. Well today I decided I would start playing again and now the screen freezes not even a minute into game play but I can still hear the sound as if I am still playing. I alt tab and it crashes sometimes with saying eso has quit and others without saying anything and just dissapearing. I've sent in a ticket but the auto response has sent me to the place I already tried.. I just dont understand why it worked before and not now... ? :(
    Edited by Samm13 on 10 December 2015 02:11
    Just have fun, Life is way to short otherwise!!
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Does your system match the latest minimum system requirements, which have been updated several times in the past 20 months?

On what kind of Mac do you play, which version of OS X do you use?

There have been huge updates to the game and its client, and even more are in store for Q1 2016.
  • Nor_the_Fallen
    If I may point out the elephant in the room here. The graphics cards and lack of RAM in the old Macs listed above simply are not capable of providing a good experience. Time to buy a new Mac.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I may point out the elephant in the room here. The graphics cards and lack of RAM in the old Macs listed above simply are not capable of providing a good experience. Time to buy a new Mac.
    No surprise there, this thread has been necroed form before a year ago... :smiley: