Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Rapid gear decay

• Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have full legendary armour and do not recieve the repair bills I used to get on lower levels, currently v3 I pay maybe 1.6k the highest after a long time of playing, not like most say here after a few clashes.

Maybe the quality of the armour matter, at lower levels I just replaced my armour as I found new pieces. And 1,6k at veteran rank is nothing.
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakidafi wrote: »
    I have full legendary armour and do not recieve the repair bills I used to get on lower levels, currently v3 I pay maybe 1.6k the highest after a long time of playing, not like most say here after a few clashes.

Maybe the quality of the armour matter, at lower levels I just replaced my armour as I found new pieces. And 1,6k at veteran rank is nothing.

Given that the bots haven't figured out how to invade Veteran content yet... or at least not in the same quantities as the main game, I'm inclined to say it gives some credence to the decay is other people theory.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As i understand wear outside of death is based on xp killing enemies something who explains why grinding in group wears out armor fast while you don't get much xp from monster kill if you quest.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I could see small, slow decay when you get hit (I mean small, less than 1 point) - wear and tear and stuff. But to be, say, sitting somewhere in peace, but there's bots around killing stuff, and have your gear start to decay is just silly.

BTW, do set bonuses stack? For instance, if I made all my gear at one set-crafting station, that only has a 3-set bonus, would 6 pieces give me a double buff or no?

No.

And, if you're in combat, and the bots are in combat, then it thinks your all working together and the group multiplier kicks in. Also sometimes if you're in combat and the bots are teleporting in your general vicinity and the game thinks they're in combat.

Ok, thank you, I wasn't sure about the stacking thing. I'm not disappointed, because I kind of expected it to be too good to be a real thing. ;)

And thanks for the illumination on what happens around bots. I died so much in that bot-infested cave yesterday (well, once was because I got a phone call, and backed up off a ledge while fighting) .. I got hit with such a hefty repair bill, the collateral bot-damage can't be noticed.

I tried to report all I could, but they all had names like ccvvvvvvwwwwwnnnmmmm, which is hard for someone with poor eyesight to sort out.

Edited by isengrimb16_ESO on 21 May 2014 13:58
  • Savinder
    Savinder
    ✭✭✭
    Here's my most recent "the decay system is broken and dumb":
    I logged in my alt, who is in Sentinel and had one piece of armor (a belt) that was almost broken (2% health according to the addon I use).
    I spawn into the bank, exit, walk down to the Stablemaster to feed my horse, remember that I forgot to pick up some stuff from my bank, walk into the bank and I get the notification that an armor piece just broke.
    Indeed, my belt took a durability hit that broke it completely.
    For walking out of the bank, talking to the stablemaster and walking back into the bank.
    Var var var
  • Hiddenbunny
    I am not sure why we are still talking about this. The smart devs in ZOS already came out said "its intended", so obviously they don't give *** about this issue. make in game function to make more sense? nah, lets go catch some gold spammer and bots, so we can show people we are doing something.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure why we are still talking about this. The smart devs in ZOS already came out said "its intended", so obviously they don't give *** about this issue. make in game function to make more sense? nah, lets go catch some gold spammer and bots, so we can show people we are doing something.

They're actually doing that? Where?
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the 1.1.2 patch notes... (and out of context, since I can't quote it...)
      Reduced the cost of all armor repairs. Reduced the amount of item durability loss while in group combat situations (such as dungeons.)

So, fingers crossed.
    Edited by starkerealm on 22 May 2014 14:43
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
      Reduced the cost of all armor repairs. Reduced the amount of item durability loss while in group combat situations (such as dungeons.)

So, fingers crossed.

Don't give too much hope haha, instead of ~2k repair bills, we might get 1500 repair bills.. :P

That doesn't suggest a fix in rapid gear decay sadly.
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • SootyTX
    SootyTX
    ✭✭✭

So, fingers crossed.

Don't give too much hope haha, instead of ~2k repair bills, we might get 1500 repair bills.. :P

Actually it does, if you'd kept up with this thread. The vast majority of excessively fast armour damage has been shown time and again to be due to group combat situations (informal and formal). The only aspects we aren't sure about about are how people get decay while crafting/talking to vendors, although I think a lot of us believe it is linked to the same group buff effect causing the extra damage in clear combat situations, and the few reports of 'everything broke in 15 minutes' which I'm personally inclined to believe are impacted by a certain amount of hyperbole.

C'mon guys - we argued, presented our case and, from those patch notes, it certainly appears that the devs listened and adjusted accordingly. No need to be ingrates before we are even playing the new patch.
    Edited by SootyTX on 22 May 2014 15:38
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SootyTX wrote: »

So, fingers crossed.

Actually it does, if you'd kept up with this thread. The vast majority of excessively fast armour damage has been shown time and again to be due to group combat situations (informal and formal). The only aspect we aren't sure about about is how people get decay while crafting/talking to vendors, although I think a lot of us believe it is linked to the same group buff effect causing the extra damage in clear combat situations.

C'mon guys - we argued, presented our case and, from those patch notes, it certainly appears that the devs listened and adjusted accordingly. No need to be ingrates before we are even playing the new patch.

Besides, if I live in hope for a few hours, only to be cruelly crushed again, it'll only be fuel to keep ragin'... right?
  • OFC_it
    OFC_it
    ✭✭
    I have had this for so long that I have learned to live with it I guess. I just wear broken armor.
  • SootyTX
    SootyTX
    ✭✭✭
    @starkerealm‌ - btw, I deliberately left a couple of broken items on my NB in the hopes that they would add an overall cost reduction as well as fix the grouping issues. When I left they would cost have cost 400g to repair, I'll update later with the new cost (level 28ish greens)
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SootyTX‌ Good to know. I wish I'd thought that far ahead, but I actually cleared my inventory and repaired up before logging off the other night. It's a bad OCD induced habit.
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    So, how many % did they cut the repaircost by?
    Edited by Blackwolfe5 on 22 May 2014 21:52
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SootyTX wrote: »

So, fingers crossed.

Actually it does, if you'd kept up with this thread. The vast majority of excessively fast armour damage has been shown time and again to be due to group combat situations (informal and formal). The only aspects we aren't sure about about are how people get decay while crafting/talking to vendors, although I think a lot of us believe it is linked to the same group buff effect causing the extra damage in clear combat situations, and the few reports of 'everything broke in 15 minutes' which I'm personally inclined to believe are impacted by a certain amount of hyperbole.

I have been - and I've gotten decay when no one was near me.

Yes this might cover part of the issue - but rapid gear decay as a whole is not tackled.
    Edited by Zershar_Vemod on 22 May 2014 18:20
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • mark2472
    mark2472
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they'd have lowered the gear decay rate rather than the cost to repair... I would much rather pay more to repair and have my gear last longer than to pay less and have it break every hour. My only problem is working hard on a sweet set of gear for it to just break in under an hour. The new patch won't keep it from breaking it under an hour, but maybe it will at least make it affordable to repair? Idk... I'm just saying I wish it was the other way around.
  • Salmonleap
    Salmonleap
    ✭✭✭
    mark2472 wrote: »
    I wish they'd have lowered the gear decay rate rather than the cost to repair... I would much rather pay more to repair and have my gear last longer than to pay less and have it break every hour. My only problem is working hard on a sweet set of gear for it to just break in under an hour. The new patch won't keep it from breaking it under an hour, but maybe it will at least make it affordable to repair? Idk... I'm just saying I wish it was the other way around.

I was thinking the same thing. Same end-result, but with fewer trips back to town for repairs.
    Beware he who would deny you access to information for in his heart he dreams himself your master. -- Pravin Lal
  • Shillen
    Shillen
    ✭✭✭

Because you're not grinding mobs anymore because it's pointless to do so in VR levels. Repair is strictly based on number of monsters killed.
    Please LOL my comments. I'm an aspiring comedian.
  • Blade_07
    Blade_07
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jirki88 wrote: »
    SaibotLiu wrote: »
    This is when MMO's start to suck, if players get listened to when it comes to obstacles being too hard. Im the opposite, if I see a trend develop and they start making the game easier, I know I'll be a couple of steps closer to quitting this game. The repair bill serves a valuable purpose as a gold sink. If you diminish this significantly, suddenly everyone is available to save large quantities of gold, and your economy goes to crap. Im already able to save plenty of cash to do whatever I want, now when not so savvy players are able to save, it only amplifies what the more industrious players are able to do, then you have a problem because now those players whinging about repair costs before cant afford the elevated prices due to inflation. So really, bad players are just bad, if you balance the game around them, your game will be bad. Dont do that.

No offense to anyone intended, Ive just seen this happen dozen of times in an MMO, this post is nothing if not right on cue. For once lets just try to play smarter instead of begging for things to be easier. Its better for everyone.

Why are you talking about repair bills as a "gold sink" when they're on a level where no one actually spend money on repairing? It's not a "gold sink" if no gold is sunk into it. And as it stands, with ridiculously fast loss of durability from regular asswhopping of mobs... No one pays the repair bills. Easier to just put on whatever whites drop from whatever mobs as the armour breaks.

One golden rule of gold sinks - they need to be something people will actually sink gold into. This isn't it.

Well, if you like wearing half ass crappy gear then more power to ya but alot of us like the pimp gear and feel the repair prices are to high!

“Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air, but only for one second without hope.”

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shillen wrote: »

Because you're not grinding mobs anymore because it's pointless to do so in VR levels. Repair is strictly based on number of monsters killed.

Not strictly, but that is the primary source.
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well there is a fast decay still, but ~164 gold every 10 min (from what I've been testing in Stonefalls - VR 1) isn't as bad as ~2,000 gold every 30min. They still need to make it so a tad more gold is given per quest reward to balance out the repair costs still.
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well there is a fast decay still, but ~164 gold every 10 min (from what I've been testing in Stonefalls - VR 1) isn't as bad as ~2,000 gold every 30min. They still need to make it so a tad more gold is given per quest reward to balance out the repair costs still.

Or slow down the loss from XP a bit... Still, that does sound a lot more manageable.
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or slow down the loss from XP a bit... Still, that does sound a lot more manageable.

There's still a lot that can be done to either actually sit down and fix this issue, or at least make it unnoticeable via that method, etc.
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like, right now, gear decays in about 4 - 8 hours. Which, honestly sounds fine, at least on paper. Gear still feels squishy. But, it was really nice to be able to play the game again; stagger up to a merchant, and not have to completely cough up all my earnings just to get my armor passives back online.
  • esoone
    esoone
    ✭✭✭
    Lost 11% on my boots wich were just crafted wile chatting with friends. Gues next time we have to chat in group inside a dungeon because thats only thing they fixed maybe then only loose 9 or 10% wile chatting.
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like, right now, gear decays in about 4 - 8 hours. Which, honestly sounds fine, at least on paper. Gear still feels squishy. But, it was really nice to be able to play the game again; stagger up to a merchant, and not have to completely cough up all my earnings just to get my armor passives back online.

4-8 hours? You are very lucky then.

Before all the memory leaks, etc. that were introduced yesterday, and when I wasn't getting hit by rollbacks, I lost around 50% decay in an hour - that is an improvement, along with not as bad (although multiple quest rewards are still useless with this gold wasting) costs, but still..... :P

Although there are now bigger issues.
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • SootyTX
    SootyTX
    ✭✭✭
    @SootyTX‌ Good to know. I wish I'd thought that far ahead, but I actually cleared my inventory and repaired up before logging off the other night. It's a bad OCD induced habit.

Haha, I'm the same unless I make an effort. The change seems to be in the order of a 10-15% reduction, which is fair enough. Going to do some group testing today and see how the rate change feels.

• psychoman88ub17_ESO
    i think the most recent patch broke the decay rate. yesterday, i could go 3-4 deaths and still have my max armor rating, today, if i die once, my armor goes down to about half durability, costing me about 200 armor points, and armor losses increase exponentially from there. so one death is costing me about 800 gold in repairs.

Dying causes 10%

• Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gear should only decay on death. I think that's just the ultimate solution if they can't weed out all of these phantom decay secanrios.