Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Do any new players have any in-game questions?

xmccormick11_ESO
If so, I'll try to help. Post here and I'll see what I can do in an effort to clean up a mess created by the QQers.

Arturius Felsword - Templar (DPS/Heals)
  • Blacksmith

Orion Collective Recruitment Thread
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know we can reset our skill points.. but can we reset our stat points (the ones we put into Magicka/Stamina/Health)?
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • xmccormick11_ESO
    Yes, in the Aldmeri Dominion its in Grahtwood. I would imagine for the other respective alliances the shrines for reseting are all right next to each other.

It is fairly expensive early on, around $2000 gold.

This video helped me out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvRPaXdmo88
    • Blacksmith

• Nicolyne
    Nicolyne
    ✭✭
    Thank you for this info!
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious how the chat system actually works - and how to get to the options menu. I know there's a little gear that displays the "tab" menu and shuts of certain chats, like zone chats, but can you identify group or party or character chats with different colors? So I can keep an eye out for people in my part?

Also, the default chat (just hit enter an start typing) is "say" right? So if you type /s, then that would be the same as just entering words in the box ...
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • Lizard_man
    Lizard_man
    ✭✭
    Not exactly a new player but I have a question...

Are achievements account based, or character based?
  • xmccormick11_ESO
    The commands for changing chat are /say /zone /group /guild1 /guild2 /guild3 /guild4 /guild5

You can also set up multiple tabs with the "+" When you hover over the chat box (pressing " . " to enter cursor mode) you can right click over the upper left and edit what is shown within that particular chat tab. I found it useful to have individual tabs for the different chats. Leaving the main for general (/say and /zone) and then dividing guilds into new tabs.

Let me know if didn't clarify enough, its difficult without actually looking at the chat box.

I didn't actually answer your question!

Color changes are accessible in the actual games settings. I don't exactly remember which tab but it is in there.
    Edited by xmccormick11_ESO on 3 April 2014 19:29
    • Blacksmith

• xmccormick11_ESO
    Lizard_man wrote: »
    Not exactly a new player but I have a question...

Are achievements account based, or character based?

I'm not positive on this one, generally achievements would be account based but you can unlock items and gear from gaining achievement points in ESO so it may be character based.

This article clarifies a bit but doesn't comment on whether it is account/character.
    http://elderscrollsonline.info/achievements
    • Blacksmith

• Lizard_man
    Lizard_man
    ✭✭
    I'm not positive on this one, generally achievements would be account based but you can unlock items and gear from gaining achievement points in ESO so it may be character based.

Alright, no worries. Basically missed something on a quest, and I can't go back, and it's annoying how I have 9 out of the 10 requirements for the achievement...

I could always create another character I suppose, I'll take a look, cheers...

:stuck_out_tongue:
    Edited by Lizard_man on 3 April 2014 19:26
  • crowfl56
    crowfl56
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    basicly we are all new players , have fun and enjoy and new game, I am, and thnx XMCC for being helpful :)
  • xmccormick11_ESO
    Lizard_man wrote: »

Alright, no worries. Basically missed something on a quest, and I can't go back, and it's annoying how I have 9 out of the 10 requirements for the achievement...

I could always create another character I suppose, I'll take a look, cheers...

:stuck_out_tongue:

:P good luck on that one!

And yes, we're all new players here! Some of us have just lost a bit more sleep than others ;)
    • Blacksmith

• Darkjyhad
    Darkjyhad
    To change chat colors hit Escape, then Settings, then Social and you can change colors there and the size of the text.

I think achievements are character bound because I have gotten Node Harvester I and II and III on 2 seperate characters.
  • xmccormick11_ESO
    Thanks for the expanded info @Darkjyhad
    • Blacksmith

• Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you answered mine already!
    I'm glad to know there's a respend my skills option!
    thanks
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • xmccormick11_ESO
    Pheefs wrote: »
    you answered mine already!
    I'm glad to know there's a respend my skills option!
    thanks
    No problem! :)
    • Blacksmith

• dagnome
    dagnome
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when I was looking for answers to all these questions. If anyone needs anything else I recently posted a decent "New player tips/tricks thread over in the guides section.
    You can find it here
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    While any class can fill any role if I wanted to play to the class strength what would I be looking for? For example I'd imagine Nightbane class strength would be stealth and Templar healing....

I am playing a Elf Templar with a double bow and both bars have a mix of weapon and class abilities wearing 5/7 light and 2/7 medium or heavy not sure yet.
  • dagnome
    dagnome
    ✭✭✭
    If you wanted true 'Class Strength" you would want to mix the racial traits with the best "class" possible. Elf wouldn't be the race strength for a Templar build, Breton hands down is one of the best for the traditional "Paladin" role.

What role are you trying to play and I can guide you further.
    Edited by dagnome on 3 April 2014 20:07
  • xmccormick11_ESO
    Light armor boosts magicka, Medium is Stamina and Heavy is Health. (stamina also very minimally boosts damage)

IGN: http://www.ign.com/wikis/elder-scrolls-online/Races
    has a feature on each race that shows what bonuses they receive both stat and exp gain wise. (This information is also available at the character creation menu)

Each class can play a multitude of strengths and be successful, Nightblades may be good at stealth but they're hands down the best pure dps class.

I play an Imperial Templar dps (greatsword), but because Templars have the most access to healing abilities, I use a healing staff as my secondary.

Pay attention to the skills you choose, and grab those that play on your personal gaming strengths. Personal skill and comfort will prove better than relying on the bonuses.
    • Blacksmith

• Rhime
    Rhime
    ✭✭
    What's the deal with group members showing up as invisible with only the group "V" showing? Last night my guild group of 3 entered a public dungeon, played through to a tower entrance which we all went in at the same time and two could see each other, but couldn't see me and I could not see them.
    This morning in Daven's Watch outside the bank I grouped with a couple guildies and the same thing happened..they were invisible to me.
    I hear this is a bug and I hear it's not a bug..which is it? Because it's almost a game breaker to not see your group members.
    (fyi, travel to member doesn't work and will put you at a wayshrine and not the actual member's location which also blows...)
    Thanks for any info..
    Edited by Rhime on 3 April 2014 20:17
  • xmccormick11_ESO
    Rhime wrote: »
    What's the deal with group members showing up as invisible with only the group "V" showing? Last night my guild group of 3 entered a public dungeon, played through to a tower entrance which we all went in at the same time and two could see each other, but couldn't see me and I could not see them.
    This morning in Daven's Watch outside the bank I grouped with a couple guildies and the same thing happened..they were invisible to me.
    I hear this is a bug and I hear it's not a bug..which is it? Because it's almost a game breaker to not see your group members.
    (fyi, travel to member doesn't work and will put you at a wayshrine and not the actual member's location which also blows...)
    Thanks for any info..

It means you're currently on different "shards" of the megaserver. It can be remedied by going to your friendslist and right clicking your friend or the party leader for example and traveling to player. It will for free move you to that shard and you will be placed at the nearest wayshrine to that player. (Once you're grouped it will (or should) keep you together.
    • Blacksmith

• ZOS_AlanG
    ZOS_AlanG
    admin
    Hi @xmccormick11_ESO, we greatly appreciate how much you want to help, but we have an entire forum for new player questions - so this thread seems redundant. We recommend perusing the threads in here to help people out, we're sure the community will benefit from your game knowledge!
    Forum Rules | Promoting Constructive Discussion | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Help Site

I’ve moved to a new position and I am no longer active on this forum. For assistance, please check the resources linked above
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.