Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Feedback On Console Environmental Sustainability Features

• D4rk
    D4rk
    My God... I just finished my daily writs and started to open all the crates... And it stutters so much... They are still trying to push any slight bit of these features...
  • SkaiFaith
    SkaiFaith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After a bit of testing I would rate the various areas like this:

Loading screens still have bad strobing from VRR
    Menu still has strobing from VRR but seems less than before, it's manageable (?)
    Looting requires you to search for it - strobing from VRR is still present but it is almost unnoticable
    Same as looting can be said about chatting with the digital keyboard window open.
    Dialogue windows don't have any strobing from VRR
    Animations are smoother, except for the gathering ones where you can see the different framerate hitting.
    For now, I don't see other issues.
    The "lowering resolution" thing seems to lower it less, but it triggers strobing from VRR. I don't know if it is anyhow tied to the issue with lower resolution on Alinor distant structures I reported in June, but that is still present too.

The game is definitely in a more playable state than on Gold Road launch, and it feels visually better.
    Would I wish for everything to be fixed returning to how performance were before this feature introduction? Yes.
    Do I think it will ever happen? No... Maybe they'll surprise me, but since the issue seems to be tied to VRR which Is something not everyone utilize... I don't know.

Please let me know if you have a similar experience to mine and if you use VRR - It is my theory that lower fps paired with VRR is the source of the problem, but I can't say for sure.

UPDATE 1: tried now the game on a 60Hz TV instead, without any VRR option - the game seems to have zero issues there. I'll try again on my 120Hz TV disabling VRR from the TV settings to see how It goes... Btw I'm not testing writs.

UPDATE 2: On Xbox Series X. Disabling both VRR and FreeSync from the 120Hz TV settings is necessary to solve all strobing issues. Problem is: if I do so, my console's home screen stutters badly while I explore It.
    So now I'm stuck choosing between having issues in game or outside of it, with the only solution being turning on and off VRR manually each time I close or open the game. Not optimal...

UPDATE 3: After restarting my console, the issue its Home navigation had is gone. So if I leave VRR and FreeSync off on my TV settings I can now play with no strobing problems.
    Not exactly solved as requested but at least now I can enjoy the game and its performances again, kinda. The effort is appreciated... Even if we would have preferred a toggle to simply switch off, since now we will have to lose VRR, which would help to have on on consoles...
    Edited by SkaiFaith on 4 September 2024 21:55
    A: "We, as humans, should respect and take care of each other like in a Co-op, not a PvP 🌸"
    B: "Too many words. Words bad. Won't read. ⚔️"
  • WolfieVZ
    WolfieVZ
    ✭✭
    ZOS Kevin, I'm going to quote your post.

"Xbox Series consoles: When using Performance Mode, the pause menu now has smoother transition animations"

Not really any smoother, the frame dip in menus while opening boxes is still not only apparent but atrocious.

I guess you guys like losing players forever, this just sealed it for me, you had a chance to do right by the players but instead of backing off this ridiculous "environmental sustainability features" you all decided that we didn't deserve a toggle for this excrement.

I think I'm truly done now.

Let us toggle this dog crap off, no other measure is sufficient.
    Edited by WolfieVZ on 5 September 2024 19:52
  • WolfieVZ
    WolfieVZ
    ✭✭
    Don't worry, they said,
    Our bad idea still here
    No respect for us
  • Stafford197
    Stafford197
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only thing they toggled off this patch was my wallet. I can’t support this game until things improve.

Here’s hoping that 2025 will be a better year for ESO.
  • CAB_Life
    CAB_Life
    Class Representative
    This will seem even worse when the PS5 Pro is out in a month or two. Not a good look for ZOS.
  • CAB_Life
    CAB_Life
    Class Representative
    WolfieVZ wrote: »
    ZOS Kevin, I'm going to quote your post.

"Xbox Series consoles: When using Performance Mode, the pause menu now has smoother transition animations"

Not really any smoother, the frame dip in menus while opening boxes is still not only apparent but atrocious.

I guess you guys like losing players forever, this just sealed it for me, you had a chance to do right by the players but instead of backing off this ridiculous "environmental sustainability features" you all decided that we didn't deserve a toggle for this excrement.

I think I'm truly done now.

Let us toggle this dog crap off, no other measure is sufficient.

They seem intent on doing everything to try and "season", reheat and sell this feature to a community that clearly has no appetite for it. A toggle is the only solution. PC can turn this whole thing off; console should be able to, as well.
  • Hrolthar
    Hrolthar
    ✭✭✭
    Only thing they toggled off this patch was my wallet. I can’t support this game until things improve.

Here’s hoping that 2025 will be a better year for ESO.

Well look, at least we tried…. We went out swinging so to speak, there’s no dishonour in that.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yknow what's funny?

My local energy provider is doing this State subsidized power conservation program where, if you limit your usage/draw, then they give you a credit on your next bill. I normally have either my PC, or Xbox running at all times while I'm at home, and for the last two months our Electric Bill has been free. We even have an air conditioner running on the hotter days and they keep giving us enough credits to completely cover our bill.

So I highly doubt my Xbox rendering 60 frames a second in Menus will affect that.

Edited by ArchMikem on 6 September 2024 18:28
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • WolfieVZ
    WolfieVZ
    ✭✭
    Here we are on the 12th of September, nearly 3 months since zos intentionally limited our hardwares capability while playing eso.

And not a single reply begging for forgiveness or telling us they messed up.

• CAB_Life
    CAB_Life
    Class Representative
    According to the PS5 Pro presentation and Sony’s internal data, over 75% of players choose a performance mode and play at 60FPS. So, who is this update for? Shareholders and ESG investors? Pleasing them first and foremost will put ZOS on the speedrun to EOS like Ubisoft—food for thought.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CAB_Life wrote: »
    According to the PS5 Pro presentation and Sony’s internal data, over 75% of players choose a performance mode and play at 60FPS. So, who is this update for? Shareholders and ESG investors? Pleasing them first and foremost will put ZOS on the speedrun to EOS like Ubisoft—food for thought.

Hello from Xbox, I also choose Performance. The option was a no brainer, when I first tried the two, there was absolutely no visual distinction between the two whatsoever for me in quality, except Fidelity mode made the game lag cause it capped the framerate.
  • aruggie2
    aruggie2
    Soul Shriven

My favorite part is dropping $700 on a new console that is 50% more powerful..only to be forced into 30fps menus, all because we need to cOnSeRvE eNeRgY.
  • Fakeinit
    Fakeinit
    ✭✭
    Xbox user here. Please change it back.

When I tried this game the first time on PS4 I couldn't live with 30fps and didn't play more than a few hours. When I learned Series S/X had a performance mode a few years ago I gave it a 2nd chance and this time the game was enjoyable to play. I've since put over a thousand hours into the game along with ESO+ and Crown Store purchases. Menus should not even be something I have to think about, but this change makes them feel bad which makes the game feel bad.

Currently I'm unsubbed and playing FFXIV

At least make it a toggle
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is anyone else getting audio lag and audio just dropping out a few seconds when in grouped content on PS5?

I run Performance mode and it started with the Gold Road update. I’m wondering if it’s not to do with this sustainability “feature”.
    Edited by Twohothardware on 14 September 2024 21:01
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aruggie2 wrote: »

My favorite part is dropping $700 on a new console that is 50% more powerful..only to be forced into 30fps menus, all because we need to cOnSeRvE eNeRgY.

Even though I don't appreciate your tone used when talking about energy conservation, I do frankly think it's not the Game Developer's domain to be worrying about this. It's up to the hardware developer, Microsoft and Sony, to be making more energy efficient Consoles.
  • SkaiFaith
    SkaiFaith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

Even though I don't appreciate your tone used when talking about energy conservation, I do frankly think it's not the Game Developer's domain to be worrying about this. It's up to the hardware developer, Microsoft and Sony, to be making more energy efficient Consoles.

If you put it this way you kinda give the thumbs up to this feature, since its implementation is highly likely "imposed"/requested exactly by Microsoft. It's their answer to those who demand them to be more "sustainable".

None of us knows who's precisely at fault in these cases. What we can do is be vocal about our issues and hope for a change of direction - maybe someone in charge will fight and change the minds of those who seems to not understand gamers, in multiple ways.
    Edited by SkaiFaith on 14 September 2024 14:53
    A: "We, as humans, should respect and take care of each other like in a Co-op, not a PvP 🌸"
    B: "Too many words. Words bad. Won't read. ⚔️"
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no bigger Microsoft game on console than Call of Duty and in the soon to release Black Ops 6 they have an "eco friendly" setting that lowers power consumption when in the menus, but you're able to completely toggle it to off and it is not enabled when you're loaded into a match.

This sustainability feature in Elder Scrolls Online not being optional is entirely the choice of Zenimax/Bethesda Studios.
    Edited by Twohothardware on 14 September 2024 17:37
  • aruggie2
    aruggie2
    Soul Shriven
    ArchMikem wrote: »

My tone has nothing to do with mocking the practice of conserving energy - it has to do with Bethesda, and primarily Microsoft, trying to look good on paper so that they can seem justified in their acquisition of Activision/Blizzard. It's even more ridiculous by the fact that PC players can side-step the setting with little effort.

I'm sure it's also no coincidence that Microsoft used 22 billion liters of water in 2022 just to get an edge in the AI race.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.firstpost.com/tech/big-tech-water-thirsty-for-ai-microsoft-used-22-22-billion-litres-in-2022-google-7-billion-13741850.html/amp

Gotta save face with the FTC.
    Edited by aruggie2 on 14 September 2024 18:07