Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How long to get Ink Amasser achievement?

• kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dk_dunkirk wrote: »
    Aurielle wrote: »
    zvihohdhn735.jpeg

My progress, so far. I’ve played every day since unlocking scribing, usually for 3-4 hours at a time, sometimes longer. I get barely any ink from picking up crafting nodes while doing my dailies for scripts, barely any from picking up nodes on the way to survey locations. I think I’ve seen maybe three drop in total from the thousands upon thousands of mobs I’ve killed since finishing all the scribing quests. The paltry amount of nodes I’ve picked up so far have mainly come from a few dedicated, mind-numbing half hour / one hour sessions where I’ve done nothing other than farm crafting nodes — and I’d rather tank a vet dungeon where the DD’s can barely scrounge up a combined 20k DPS between the two of them. Even potent/fortified nirncrux drops more frequently than ink for me.

zeq2l8syo1yq.jpeg

(6 nirns dropped from five nodes, while 4 ink dropped from only two nodes in the above boring hour long farm session).

It’s great that a tiny number of you have had good RNG luck and are making good progress with casual harvesting, but your experience isn’t representative of everyone’s.
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »
    4 ink per week seems high. After the ink given for the scribing quests, I have not seen one drop from mobs nor nodes.

I'm at 80 ink already with about 10 hours of node farming plus doing the quest line on a single character.

It's rng which means that the way to get ink is to farm it.

Yeah it’s rng. But eso’s rng needs system needs work. There are a few with tons of ink, and much larger group who have seen none.

There was a problem during the jubilee event with the disastrous mask “rng” drops, and it’s showing here.

Precisely. I’ve been having terrible luck with ink. I generally have terrible luck with all RNG-based things in the game. I don’t have a single radiant apex mount — and know people with multiple, some of them acquired from free crates. Hell, I only have two apex mounts, and one of those I bought with seals of endeavor… Lead farming is often painful. I don’t even want to tell you guys how many chests I opened in Galen for the music box lead… The only thing I lucked out with lately is the Torc of the Last Ayleid King, the leads for which I passively got while grinding out IA for the multi-target script on all my alts.

It feels like my account is cursed.

So, wait, you had ink drop in Craglorn? I'd given up hope of that happening. I figured it wouldn't drop in the place that drops nirncrux.

The one and only ink I've had drop from a node was in Craglorn. (I picked up the node on the way to a survey, this was not deliberate farming of either nirncrux or ink).
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    zvihohdhn735.jpeg

My progress, so far. I’ve played every day since unlocking scribing, usually for 3-4 hours at a time, sometimes longer. I get barely any ink from picking up crafting nodes while doing my dailies for scripts, barely any from picking up nodes on the way to survey locations. I think I’ve seen maybe three drop in total from the thousands upon thousands of mobs I’ve killed since finishing all the scribing quests. The paltry amount of nodes I’ve picked up so far have mainly come from a few dedicated, mind-numbing half hour / one hour sessions where I’ve done nothing other than farm crafting nodes — and I’d rather tank a vet dungeon where the DD’s can barely scrounge up a combined 20k DPS between the two of them. Even potent/fortified nirncrux drops more frequently than ink for me.

zeq2l8syo1yq.jpeg

(6 nirns dropped from five nodes, while 4 ink dropped from only two nodes in the above boring hour long farm session).

It’s great that a tiny number of you have had good RNG luck and are making good progress with casual harvesting, but your experience isn’t representative of everyone’s.
    4 ink per week seems high. After the ink given for the scribing quests, I have not seen one drop from mobs nor nodes.

I'm at 80 ink already with about 10 hours of node farming plus doing the quest line on a single character.

It's rng which means that the way to get ink is to farm it.

Yeah it’s rng. But eso’s rng needs system needs work. There are a few with tons of ink, and much larger group who have seen none.

There was a problem during the jubilee event with the disastrous mask “rng” drops, and it’s showing here.

Precisely. I’ve been having terrible luck with ink. I generally have terrible luck with all RNG-based things in the game. I don’t have a single radiant apex mount — and know people with multiple, some of them acquired from free crates. Hell, I only have two apex mounts, and one of those I bought with seals of endeavor… Lead farming is often painful. I don’t even want to tell you guys how many chests I opened in Galen for the music box lead… The only thing I lucked out with lately is the Torc of the Last Ayleid King, the leads for which I passively got while grinding out IA for the multi-target script on all my alts.

It feels like my account is cursed.

So, wait, you had ink drop in Craglorn? I'd given up hope of that happening. I figured it wouldn't drop in the place that drops nirncrux.

They stopped doing zone-specific drops after Vvardenfell.

Craglorn drops nirn (twice as often as ink for me).
    Base game zones other than Crag drop Aetherial Dust from nodes and Ciphers from enemies. That’s because Crag had its nirn.
    Wrothgar drops Cassiterite Sand.
    Hew’s Bane drops Rogue’s Soot.
    Gold Coast drops Grains of Pearl Sand.
    Vvardenfell drops Viridian Dust.

Then that zone system stopped. Ink is game wide, similar to how Indeko can drop from any excavation in any zone (plus now the Mirrormoor Incursion loot piles, interestingly).
  • Nathrai
    Nathrai
    ✭✭✭✭
    It actually seems like drop rates in Craglorn are roughly the same as everywhere else - as long as you get to farm during off hours when resources are plenty and you don't have to compete with other players.

Nirncrux and ink seem to not take up the same space in the RNG, that is getting nirncrux doesn't seem to lower your chance of also gettting ink.
    I play every day, 4ish hours on weekdays and longer on weekends.

I'm around 130-140 ink so far.
    Thanks for proving the point that RNG is broken and needs to be fixed before implementing any more super-rare drops.

(I know that's not what you were trying to do, since you've spent a considerable amount of time posting how lazy we are and how the drop rate is great as long as YOU keep lucking out. But your flex just demonstrates how this has nothing to do with being lazy or having "bad luck". The numbers are WAY off for this to be within the bounds of statistical probability.)
    Azura'm s'wit
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I got 5 just yesterday in about 45 minutes of farming in Craglorn. Also got 0 nirncrux in that same period.
  • Jylly
    Jylly
    ✭✭✭
    it is what it is, sometimes you lose and sometimes the others win -) close your eyes and get through it
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nathrai wrote: »
    Thanks for proving the point that RNG is broken and needs to be fixed before implementing any more super-rare drops.

How many nodes per minute you harvest on your farming route?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »

i dont think anyone is attributing time as a factor

if you harvest 100 nodes in 15 min or 2 hours, its still 100 nodes, or 100 chances to get ink
    Edited by Necrotech_Master on 18 June 2024 16:44
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • Nathrai
    Nathrai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't count since right now I have no-one to directly compare to. But you can bet I'm not leisure strolling. I have invested in all the crafting buffs, am utilizing both addons and max Keen Eye, am wearing my ring and make sure to only farm zones when there's next to no other player doing the same.

I had a more direct comparison a couple of years back. We were recording both the number of nodes farmed (sometimes they were a handful of nodes on top, sometimes I was, though either way the margin was negligible) and the amount of housing mats received. We farmed at the same time and the same zone, though usually on opposite ends of the route in order to not hinder each other.

We did this for over a year, and they CONSISTENTLY got 3 to 5 times as many housing mats. During this time we repeatedly reported our findings back to ZOS and even offered our accounts up for testing purposes.

That was ... 6 years ago. Few people ever noticed with housing mats since you can still earn enough of them when on the "unlucky" side of this bug (we only did back then by chance, when they kept teasing me how unlucky I was - to an extend that one day we realised how improbable it was that I ALWAYS ended up on the receiving end of the teasing).

With ink, the regular drop rate already is abysmally low, so more people start to notice that ink doesn't drop for them at all, while others are reporting numbers we'll not reach in half a dozen years at the current rate.
    Edited by Nathrai on 18 June 2024 17:06
    Azura'm s'wit
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

if you harvest 100 nodes in 15 min or 2 hours, its still 100 nodes, or 100 chances to get ink

Yes, but see this whole thread? People only keep saying how many hours they've spent playing/harvesting, not in how many pulls they got these drops. One player's hour of farming could mean 800 pulls, other player's hour could mean 20 pulls.
    I got 5 just yesterday in about 45 minutes of farming in Craglorn.
    take an hour or two just farming stuff, and even though I have started looting every kill and collecting almost every node I pass, I mostly only get one or two ink drops a day.
    I farm a few hours a day and lucky to get even 1-2, sometime none and I move max speed between nodes with little interruption.
    . I kill and gather like crazy just doing my normal daily stuff, but at best, I'm only getting like 1-2 inks per day
    Even playing the whole day I only get 1 ink at most.
    I only farm on weekends, after I do my writs and while I'm collecting my surveys. I got 30 just on Saturday...

While harvesting a node is trivial action, harvesting large amounts efficiently does require some skill and knowledge. People will go to Crag, terrible zone for farming nodes, with no knowledge of the route on top of that, and then complain about cursed account.
    Start counting actual pulls done and then we will see who is cursed and who is just bad at farming.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, but see this whole thread? People only keep saying how many hours they've spent playing/harvesting, not in how many pulls they got these drops. One player's hour of farming could mean 800 pulls, other player's hour could mean 20 pulls.
    take an hour or two just farming stuff, and even though I have started looting every kill and collecting almost every node I pass, I mostly only get one or two ink drops a day.
    I farm a few hours a day and lucky to get even 1-2, sometime none and I move max speed between nodes with little interruption.
    . I kill and gather like crazy just doing my normal daily stuff, but at best, I'm only getting like 1-2 inks per day
    I only farm on weekends, after I do my writs and while I'm collecting my surveys. I got 30 just on Saturday...

While harvesting a node is trivial action, harvesting large amounts efficiently does require some skill and knowledge. People will go to Crag, terrible zone for farming nodes, with no knowledge of the route on top of that, and then complain about cursed account.
    Start counting actual pulls done and then we will see who is cursed and who is just bad at farming.

i did that yesterday, using the weekly endeavor as a counter, i did 100 node harvests (all non survey) and got 0 ink

i probably harvested a bit extra than that, but still 0 ink the entire day yesterday (i also ran an normal BRP, and 3 vet HM dungeons, and all of those had 0 ink drops from the enemies too, still goes to show how outrageously rare the ink is)

the people who arent quantifying the amount of nodes they are pulling i think is a problem, because we are left with purely anecdotal evidence

i dont know how many nodes you would have to farm and get lucky with to have accumulated 130+ ink already, as that is basically rerunning the wing quests on 10 characters
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

• Nathrai
    Nathrai
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, not even the worst farming speed would amount to the differences in ink drops reported here. You'ld have to stand around doing nothing to only get 1-2 drops in the same amount of time someone else claimes to have farmed 100+ inks.

[snip]

(Though I trust the numbers we collected a couple of years ago, since that was not a self-report from the forums, but a trusted RL friend I compared numbers with.)

The only ones who could ACTUALLY hunt down this bug and compare different accounts with each other are ZOS. And they have been made aware of this bug in 2018. Probably well before that when other people realized there was something off.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 18 June 2024 18:00
    Azura'm s'wit
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I farm Bleakrock late at night (after core when people are just chilling in vc) when there's not many people there, and I hit every single node I see including water nodes. I don't know how many nodes I get per minute, but I do turn on auto loot and use the wild Hunt ring to make it faster.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I got one from a plant yesterday! I couldn't believe it, had to check my inventory and there it was, one little bottle of ink :)

It piles up in the inventory instead of the craft bag? Blech.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I got one from a plant yesterday! I couldn't believe it, had to check my inventory and there it was, one little bottle of ink :)

it does go into the craft bag, if you have the craft bag active of course
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• Nathrai
    Nathrai
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, it directly goes into the craft bag.
    Azura'm s'wit
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It definitely goes in the craft bag if you have it.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the question for this thread is "how long...", so yeah... we do have to consider that time is a factor. :smile:

It is all about probability. What I would really like to know is how many nodes have to be examined to have a 50% chance of having found one with Ink in it. My guess at the moment is that it is between 100 and 300 resource nodes farmed.

With those numbers, time is definitely a factor.

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's not how long you play, it's where you grind nodes. The beginner areas are the only places I go. I spend one hour gathering and am up to 119 even I skipped a couple days.

This morning I logged on went to my favorite beginner area and had 7 in first 20 mins.

The traffic is high cuz many people have figured this out but Rngesus is kind there and with the large amount of nodes constantly respawning it is a viable way to collect them.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

Well, the question for this thread is "how long...", so yeah... we do have to consider that time is a factor. :smile:

It is all about probability. What I would really like to know is how many nodes have to be examined to have a 50% chance of having found one with Ink in it. My guess at the moment is that it is between 100 and 300 resource nodes farmed.

With those numbers, time is definitely a factor.

time doesnt factor when your talking about drop rate though, each node harvest is an individual chance to get an ink, regardless if you do 10 per min or 1 per minute, you can still get to 100 nodes harvested, it just takes longer, time wont influence your chance

i feel the general point of the thread is still "ink drop rate is too low", which again time has no factor in

you could have 2 people harvest 100 nodes, and 1 person could get 5 ink and the other could get 0, it doesnt matter how long it takes them to do so, 100 nodes is 100 nodes

so my point stands that time is irrelevant, you could have a super optimized build, in a dense farming location, and say be harvesting 30 nodes a minute, and still not get a single ink in an hour of farming (though you will have far more chances than someone casually harvesting at a rate of say 5 nodes a minute or less)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Max 240 ink from scribing quests. I'm getting 2 or 3 ink per week from kills and nodes. So, pushing 2 years to get the achievement LOL
    PC EU
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Max 240 ink from scribing quests. I'm getting 2 or 3 ink per week from kills and nodes. So, pushing 2 years to get the achievement LOL

technically you could get more from the quests, if you had 1 character slot that you could delete/remake lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• Nathrai
    Nathrai
    ✭✭✭✭
    technically you could get more from the quests, if you had 1 character slot that you could delete/remake lol
    Yeah, that came to mind before. I don't care too much about the achievement (though I'll give the skill colour a try once I reach 50), but I REALLY want to get into the scribing system. There's a few combinations I was looking forward to testing out.

But I'm a bit reluctant to "farm" the quest with my throw-away char slot. Not just because that feels like cheating, but mainly because I've seen what grinding a quest does to my memory of that quest. I KNOW I loved the companion quests the first time around, but by now I simply detest them and can't even remember how they felt the first time around.

And I'm not sure I want to risk spoiling the memory of a questline I enjoyed so much.

Then again ... 12 ink within a couple of hours ... it's kinda alluring ... o:)
    Azura'm s'wit
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You referring to me there, boss? I used to farm nirn every day on the regular. I know the best routes for farming nirn , lmao. It’s just bad drop rates on the ink. Even when I farm in starter zones, I’m not getting enough ink to do what I want to do with scribing.
    Edited by Aurielle on 18 June 2024 18:36
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that came to mind before. I don't care too much about the achievement (though I'll give the skill colour a try once I reach 50), but I REALLY want to get into the scribing system. There's a few combinations I was looking forward to testing out.

But I'm a bit reluctant to "farm" the quest with my throw-away char slot. Not just because that feels like cheating, but mainly because I've seen what grinding a quest does to my memory of that quest. I KNOW I loved the companion quests the first time around, but by now I simply detest them and can't even remember how they felt the first time around.

And I'm not sure I want to risk spoiling the memory of a questline I enjoyed so much.

for me while the questline was OK, it was far to repetitive (the dialogs were excellent, the actual "tasks" not so much) that im pretty much unwilling to repeat the wing quests lol

but i completely agree that i was looking forward to playing with the new skills, and the severe lack of ink is basically making the entire system unusable
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

for me while the questline was OK, it was far to repetitive (the dialogs were excellent, the actual "tasks" not so much) that im pretty much unwilling to repeat the wing quests lol

but i completely agree that i was looking forward to playing with the new skills, and the severe lack of ink is basically making the entire system unusable

Yup. I spent some time playing around with a couple of my PVP builds today, and did a few scribing experiments to proc certain set conditions. I’m now down to three ink. :) Oh well, no more experimenting for a while…

I’m sure the farmers with good RNG luck will be by to condescend and tell me what I’m doing “wrong” in no time, while they add to their piles of gold.
  • Orbital78
    Orbital78
    ✭✭✭✭
    Probably one to three months.
  • Orbital78
    Orbital78
    ✭✭✭✭

Yup. I spent some time playing around with a couple of my PVP builds today, and did a few scribing experiments to proc certain set conditions. I’m now down to three ink. :) Oh well, no more experimenting for a while…

I’m sure the farmers with good RNG luck will be by to condescend and tell me what I’m doing “wrong” in no time, while they add to their piles of gold.

Prices are down 50% already. Cheaper than potent nirncrux. Starter zones, find your fav routes or farms. Not going to lie I have made lots of gold, but I've also spent the time harvesting for those who don't want to.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orbital78 wrote: »

Prices are down 50% already. Cheaper than potent nirncrux. Starter zones, find your fav routes or farms. Not going to lie I have made lots of gold, but I've also spent the time harvesting for those who don't want to.

A very predictable response.

I have farmed the starter zones in farming gear at max running speed multiple times now. I still have not gotten enough ink to properly experiment with the system. My RNG luck has so far sucked royally. I would have to spend the bulk of my in-game time farming to amass enough ink to do what I want to do with the system, instead of engaging in the content where I actually want to use scribed skills in the first place.

Those of you who are farming for profit and not experimenting with your builds may be content to do that for many, many hours, but you don’t represent us all. Please stop defending this drop rate, simply because you have earned lots of gold from it and believe that your earnings and your luck with the grind indicate the drop rate is fine. It is not fine for those of us who play the game, rather than the economy mini game.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my achievement for 50 today. Seems a little slow, but I'm not really in a rush, so it hasn't bothered me yet. if Scribing were absolutely necessary to keep up to new content, I'm sure I'd feel differently.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Orbital78
    Orbital78
    ✭✭✭✭
    Orbital78 wrote: »

A very predictable response.

I have farmed the starter zones in farming gear at max running speed multiple times now. I still have not gotten enough ink to properly experiment with the system. My RNG luck has so far sucked royally. I would have to spend the bulk of my in-game time farming to amass enough ink to do what I want to do with the system, instead of engaging in the content where I actually want to use scribed skills in the first place.

Those of you who are farming for profit and not experimenting with your builds may be content to do that for many, many hours, but you don’t represent us all. Please stop defending this drop rate, simply because you have earned lots of gold from it and believe that your earnings and your luck with the grind indicate the drop rate is fine. It is not fine for those of us who play the game, rather than the economy mini game.

Am I defending the drop rate? I think potent nirncrux, full ambers, ayleid plans, vvard mushrooms and many things should be more common drops. Will I find them commonly, who knows but everyone should have a gold making plan in the game to get the things they want or need. I still think ink should be more accessible in the Archive, they sell the scripts.