Maintenance for the week of July 1:
• NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can we get rid of Engine Guardian in PvP?

• divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never used tab target on PvP. Is it WOW?
    Yeah it's known from there, you highlight an enemy with the tab key, now your attacks should target that enemy.

It doesn't work like that. Your attacks will only target that enemy if you are looking straight at him.
    The difference is that it will pick him among other targets that lie under that crosshair.
    So say some tank would randomly runs before your target, if you didn't have target selected, it would be hitting tank, but with target selected, you are hitting your target.
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    Details are important
    I provided the details you requested. I answered your question in good faith. Yes, targeting problems are the only problem with that set, and have been for a decade. You did not need the OP personally to say that. Any PvPer can say that.

And I fail to see the point here since that post was me replying to the accusation that "all I did was attack the poster" which I pointed out how that was incorrect.
    I know how it works. Thank you, though. That was not the point of my post. The original post of this thread just asks to get rid of the set in PvP. That is a guaranteed way to get the devs to ignore the thread since it offers nothing.
    All you did was attack the other poster. I explained why Engine Guardian can be seen a problem. You're welcome.

No. I asked if the reason they posted was the only reason. They may have had more to add. Details are important, and if there is more information, it may help tilt any interest the devs may have with this. The devil is in the details.

That is not attacking. Not even remotely close to that.

I will include the post I had replied to.
    I know how it works. Thank you, though. That was not the point of my post. The original post of this thread just asks to get rid of the set in PvP. That is a guaranteed way to get the devs to ignore the thread since it offers nothing.
    All you did was attack the other poster. I explained why Engine Guardian can be seen a problem. You're welcome.

These details are important, and my post contains some very important details beyond just saying details are important, including why I created the post that is clearly not attacking anyone.

:neutral:

Edited by Amottica on 25 June 2024 00:05
    Options
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »
    The difference is that it will pick him among other targets that lie under that crosshair.
    This is the problem in PvP though, it does NOT do this. The pet will ignore the tab target and body block anyway.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never used tab target on PvP. Is it WOW?
    Yeah it's known from there, you highlight an enemy with the tab key, now your attacks should target that enemy.

It doesn't work like that. Your attacks will only target that enemy if you are looking straight at him.
    So say some tank would randomly runs before your target, if you didn't have target selected, it would be hitting tank, but with target selected, you are hitting your target.

For the most part, that is how things work in PvP. Without getting into anything complicated it is important to keep the crosshairs on the target for the "preferred" selection to be meaningful where there are multiple targets. It is part of the reason players move and hop while in combat. It makes it difficult for those not used to it to hit the target.

It is because it is a "preferred" target vs the tab targeting we have in some other MMORPGs.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    i’d love if they could implement targetting priority

(10 yr old stuck in combat bug shrugs)

i think i’m in the vast minority that doesnt enjoy having gear and cheese doing the fighting

everyone’s running tarnished, way of fire, and good old flames of oblivion hitting pretty hard for doing… nothing

it’s just the way ppl like the game

We have targeting priority. Target someone with the reticles and hit the tab. It is not the hard tab targeting like in games where such things are more like they are on rails. In ESO it requires the player to actively try to keep the targeted in the reticle. We have to remain active in combat in keep the target in our crosshairs to fight.

@divnyi discusses this above.

Options
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    We have to remain active in combat in keep the target in our crosshairs to fight.
    You can execute perfectly and the pet will still body block. If you have never had this problem, you must have no lag.
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have to remain active in combat in keep the target in our crosshairs to fight.
    You can execute perfectly and the pet will still body block. If you have never had this problem, you must have no lag.

One cannot "execute perfectly" if lag is interfering with their ability to execute skills in a timely manner and keep the target in their reticle.

So if we are complaining about lag then that is a different topic.

Options
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i’m on an xbox controller…
    Options
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm BG player so yeah I have no lag, I use tab targeting very often on ranged classes, it just works for me.
    Options
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    One cannot "execute perfectly" if lag is interfering with their ability to execute skills in a timely manner and keep the target in their reticle. So if we are complaining about lag then that is a different topic.
    Semantics are the last refuge of a scoundrel. If lag completely warps the function of a mechanic like that, then yes there is a problem with the mechanic, no it is not some genius take to say "just fix the lag, bro" or whatever.
    Options
  • TybaltKaine
    TybaltKaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Proc exists

Holding down R3(right stick) should outline the target. The problem is lining them up in the first place
    • Tybalt Kaine Khajiit Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion
    • PC/NA
    • Guildmaster- Lucky Raven
    • Knight of Marrow - Blackfeather Academy
    • Adepti- The Witches Goblet
    • Dragon Frog - Butterscotch Dragon Frog
    • "Nightblade healer huh? How does that work?"
    • "I drain the blood of our enemies and fire it into you. It's a lot less messy than it sounds, and yeah I'm basically a Vampire without the whole AGH FIRE BAD"
    Options
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Tybalt! so do i need to hold it down to “lock on” before each individual attack/cast, or will it stay locked on the player (and ignore the engine guardian) for the duration of the fight? And if the engine guardian respawns, will I need to lock on with the right stick again?
    Options
  • TybaltKaine
    TybaltKaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should keep them highlighted until you change it, you'll get the white outline around the character and it sticks through all attacks as far as I know. It's the closest you can get to Tab targeting with gamepad.
    Edited by TybaltKaine on 25 June 2024 23:51
    • PC/NA
    • "I drain the blood of our enemies and fire it into you. It's a lot less messy than it sounds, and yeah I'm basically a Vampire without the whole AGH FIRE BAD"
    Options
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome, I will try it. Thank you!
    Options
  • TybaltKaine
    TybaltKaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If R3 Doesn't work, try holding X. The keybind for it under controls is "Cycle Preferred Target" and mine defaults to holding X on the B style preset.
    • PC/NA
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm BG player so yeah I have no lag, I use tab targeting very often on ranged classes, it just works for me.

Thank you for clearing that up. So, if one executes perfectly, it works just fine.

Options
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So, if one executes perfectly, it works just fine.
    Time for me to git gud and remove all my lag. Thanks for the tip. Let it be known, lag is a skill issue.
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Time for me to git gud and remove all my lag. Thanks for the tip. Let it be known, lag is a skill issue.

At no point did I say or suggest that lag was an issue with the player's capability. I did note, very clearly, might I add, that one cannot execute perfectly if lag is interfering with that ability to do so.

We can add that @divnyi supported that comment by pointing out that the targeting system works just fine for him in BGs where lag is not present. With that, Cyrodiil does have lag, but it is not constantly present.

Options
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Proc exists

Holding down R3(right stick) should outline the target. The problem is lining them up in the first place

Isn't R3 sneak??? I'm on PS5 though. If tab targeting and sneak are the same button there's no point in using it since it's going to put you in sneak everytime you miss target and push R3 at the wrong time.

It's probably better just to free aim.
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

At no point did I say or suggest that lag was an issue with the player's capability. I did note, very clearly, might I add, that one cannot execute perfectly if lag is interfering with that ability to do so.

We can add that @divnyi supported that comment by pointing out that the targeting system works just fine for him in BGs where lag is not present. With that, Cyrodiil does have lag, but it is not constantly present.

Adding to this comment, we have demonstrated it is not an engine guardian problem.

If a player targets properly and "executes perfectly," as was noted before, targeting the player behind the engine guardian works just fine. Lag can interfere with being able to target perfectly.

Options
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    engine guardian makes it impossible to target the player, it absorbs all your attacks in pvp.
    it needs to be untargetable.
    make it so we cant target the pet, the same goes for ALL pets.
    please make the engine guardian and all pets untargettable

Why is the nightblade summon pet "shade" untargettable and All other pets including the engine guardian targettable?
    Options