The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

What's your favorite ESO Class and Why?

• autocookies
    autocookies
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
    Edited by autocookies on 13 March 2024 18:07
    Options
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Also curious about the results.
    giphy.gif
    Edited by ZOS_Kevin on 6 February 2024 22:21
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Riddari
    Riddari
    ✭✭✭
    Paladin! Wait I mean...templar!
    Options
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka Templar.
    I’d love to be a magicka DK. But, don’t laugh, they don’t have enough self-heals for me.
    Many years ago, I mained a magDK and a magSorc. Got them max level and geared, way back when. But I almost left the game forever until I started playing a magicka templar.
    I just wish their abilities looked as cool as the DK’s…
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
    Options
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first and my main is a Templar. But as far as which is most fun to play, I enjoy the Necro the most.
    Options
  • Jestir
    Jestir
    ✭✭✭✭
    So right now my favorite is arcanist but it's more about what I don't like honestly.

The sounds of the Morrowind theme of the Warden's animal companion line gives me a head ache so despite liking how it plays and loving the other 2 skill lines I just can't play it.

Point blank, Necromancer just feels awful to play.

Templar is just yellow, "new" jabs still looks awful, and I have never been much of fan of paladin/holy knight themes.

I love stealthing through the world with a Nightblade but generally have not been really interested in how the class plays

I love how sorcerer feels, fast and hard hitting, but the pets are obnoxious and lighting form is the worst looking skill in the game.

Dragon knight is rock solid and my main since I started on PC years ago but being locked to melee, dragon heart being the second worst looking skill in the game and me occasionally remembering poop fist existing hurts it in my eyes

Arcanist on the other hand has some of the most obnoxious looking skills in the game but it just feels so nice to play.

My experiences with most of these classes are casual overland+dungeon PvE and pug PvP, so I'm probably not the best judge. I do need to give Sorcerer and Nightblade another shot with the upcoming update, but I don't know if I have it in me to build up any more characters.

I'm also sure in time I will just gravitate back to my DK as it's class I played the most since I restarted on PC, but I will always look back fondly on my time I spent with my templar and night blade on PS4.
    Options
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I main a Sorc but for many reasons its not my favorite class anymore I say Templar a good all around class very versatile playstyle and skills, new player friendly class to learn just a complete package of a class unlike whatever Sorcerer is suppose to be.
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
    Options
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alright, so my main is templar. Since they got rekt in u35, I haven't been playing him too much. Especially since they turned jabs into noodles and made the animation trash.

So I've been playing a lot of stamina arcanist. I enjoy this because it's fairly easy to play and not so many dots to keep up to still do decent damage output. My hands/wrists aren't getting any younger, and I struggle to keep up dots and dps on classes like my DK anymore.

IF they ever return templar to their viability and not make 80% of their DPS output come from just beam in execute, that would be great, and I'd main templar in PVE again. Otherwise, I'm stuck with arcanist until they totally wreck that (like the PTS is right now) or until something easier on my wrists comes around. Maybe I'll try an oaken build again, but that was mind-numbingly boring (to me).
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
    Options
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite the changes it had received over the years, I haven't stopped playing on my Templar ever since it was my first choice the Public Beta days.
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates (No updates for May 6 and May 14 due to IRL events).

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
    Options
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like all except Necro.

I voted Nightblade, because she was my first and is my main character ever since.
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on 11 February 2024 09:53
    read, think and write.In that order.
    Options
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't know that I necessarily have a favorite. I guess maybe I have different favorites depending on what activities I participate in. I like my DK for PVE tanking, in PVP because of the guilds I run with I play a wide variety of classes -- basically everything except templar on a semi-regular basis, and I have a templar grand overlord so I used to play it a whole lot. Overworld and dungeon non-tanks I rotate between arc, sorc, warden, and nb.

I picked NB because it was my original character and the one I keep coming back to just for everyday activities (crafting, dailies, mat farming, low-skill pvp, etc).
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
    Options
  • Callidus
    Callidus
    Soul Shriven
    Today? Arcanist.

I hate saying it, but it's stupid easy, and if I'm soling, then why would I play something that takes longer or is harder? Just do it the easy way, I can play other classes that I enjoy more with friends.

I enjoy PvP on my Sorc, and I wish I could PvE with it more, I just don't like the reliance on multiple pets these days, it's too much. Again, I could try a different build, but most DPS generally has the pets, so I don't want to cheat myself, or my groupmates by doing less than I could.

Templar is just missing something for me, I want to like it, but unless I'm healing, mine just sit. Warden is the same boat, one-bar Warden DPS is fun to mess around with, and love to heal on my Warden. Neco just feels useless and not enjoyable right now, it's felt far more powerful in the past to me. My first level 50 in 2014 was a Nightblade, and I got bored with the Stamina playstyle years ago, and kinda put it down. I rolled another magicka NB, and it's been eye opening fun again, and I'm wondering why I didn't do it before.

My DK is for PvP or tanking, and that's about it.

Truth is, even the specialty classes I have, I enjoy them, so I don't truly dislike any, it's just the use is much less because I prefer what I prefer.
    Options
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    warden because whenever I heal myself I heal a teammate for free.
    Options
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Warden, without a doubt. My number 1 for a long time. Love the aesthetic and feels of skills, along with class versatility.

Templar and DKs are honorable mentions.
    Options
  • FoJul
    FoJul
    ✭✭✭
    I love Nightblade, but not for the reason you think. Most people believe nightblade to be the "assassin/rogue" class mainly because of stealth and all of the access to melee playstyle. Especially with melee being the better option.

I will tell you one thing, melee nightblade and its assassin theme, maybe be part of the nightblade theme, but its second place to stealth mage. You can look up the TES lore and see, that nightblade is a shadow mage. The siphoning tree is closer to what nightblade was supposed to be.

Whether it be a rogue or a shadow mage. I still play it as a mageblade, I feel like that's how the class is intended to play from the start, which has now changed overtime.

It still remains my favorite.

okp5hdg2r5xp.png
    TES lore on nightblades. Part of it anyways.

Works Cited:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Nightblades
    Edited by FoJul on 9 February 2024 20:28
    Options
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorcerer for me, although my stamden is a close second.

It is no-pet lightning mage magicka sorcerer though. That lightning mage theme is what drew me to sorcerer when I first started playing ESO, so long ago now.

P.s. I'm glad that ZOS are finally looking to bring this long lost playstyle back from the dead. I hope that @ZOS_Kevin and the team has had a chance to read the feedback regarding their proposed changes for sorcerer, overall they have done a good job with them, just a few small things I am finding (as are many others) that still need addressing.
    Most are simple QoL changes, but some are actual buffs or secondary effect changes that aim to shift some theoretical potential power away from potentially problematic niche builds (max stat stacking) and into some still standing class pain points to round out all builds to be in a good spot).
    Options
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't play necro all the time but I do all my scrying and excavating with my necromancers on both eu and na servers. As such, they have found the most places, had the most incidental battles, and found most treasure. I've definitely spent more time on my necro in NA than on any other class.
    I love seeing Blastbones assemble itself and jump.
    Options
  • Sabre_PT
    Sabre_PT
    Soul Shriven
    Stamblade here, I like the stealth/thief/assassin/rogue feel it gives, and it's visually appealing to me because it's the one that has the least magical look with abilities like Surprise Attack or Killer's Blade using physical weapons instead of magical ones. Even the spectral arrow from Merciless Resolve/Relentless Focus looks like an actual physical bow and arrow.
    Options
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arcanist for life!!!!!
    qnoc488jt3zf.png

"𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
    Options
  • Al_Ex_Andre
    Al_Ex_Andre
    ✭✭
    The Templar got me into ESO.

Solar Knight-cleric type/paladin using a spear spell. Exactly the breed I wanted to play.

What caught my attention too, is that the templar is the nuker in ESO fluff, he is the fire incarnated, finally some devs recognized (and acknowledge) in a game what a shining knight/cleric type class is within.

The Templar was advertised, back then when I decided or not to subscribe, as a good healer and good dps. Good that because paladins type guys are often relegated to only heal in many video games (@ wow classic/Warcraft, for instance), and I definetly wanted to dps with good results too.

Needless to say I subscribed.

Now that his dps has been altered in this game too, I keep him anyway because my life doesn't resolve around ESO. I don't raid, and I play semi-serious so I guess that's okay.

Yeah I can solo fine too with this class, except maybie in the infinite archive where final bosses (Tho'at? sp?) are not HtH friendly

+1 for the Templar
    Options
  • Janni
    Janni
    ✭✭✭✭
    Warden... cause beeeeeaaaaarsssssssss. Also, necro was not the diablo2-esque zoo keeper I was expecting so warden was my second pick.
    Options
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭
    i think now i had alot of time to properly play all the classes in the roles i like to play them with i enjoy playing them all just the same
    Options
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Solar Knight-cleric type/paladin using a spear spell. Exactly the breed I wanted to play.

What caught my attention too, is that the templar is the nuker in ESO fluff, he is the fire incarnated, finally some devs recognized (and acknowledge) in a game what a shining knight/cleric type class is within.

The Templar was advertised, back then when I decided or not to subscribe, as a good healer and good dps. Good that because paladins type guys are often relegated to only heal in many video games (@ wow classic/Warcraft, for instance), and I definetly wanted to dps with good results too.

Now that his dps has been altered in this game too, I keep him anyway because my life doesn't resolve around ESO. I don't raid, and I play semi-serious so I guess that's okay.

Yeah I can solo fine too with this class, except maybie in the infinite archive where final bosses (Tho'at? sp?) are not HtH friendly

+1 for the Templar

I found the WoW paladin to embody the spirit of a warrior cleric much more than ESO. All the classes in ESO (save for the Arcanist) feel watered down with little reflection of the class even being a class (probably due to weapon skill lines muddying up the waters).

But outside of that, did you not play Shockadin? Holy/Ret? It NUKED people and as a High Warlord, the ONLY spec that scared me.
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
    Options
  • Al_Ex_Andre
    Al_Ex_Andre
    ✭✭

+1 for the Templar

I found the WoW paladin to embody the spirit of a warrior cleric much more than ESO. All the classes in ESO (save for the Arcanist) feel watered down with little reflection of the class even being a class (probably due to weapon skill lines muddying up the waters).

But outside of that, did you not play Shockadin? Holy/Ret? It NUKED people and as a High Warlord, the ONLY spec that scared me.
    Gratz for your High Warlord rank in WoW!

Nah I wanted to play a shockadin, but the spec sucked at healing dungeons, so I sticked with the healer spec. I also did played in late classic, and wouldn't have the stuff (T2.5) to nuke enough.

I tried Shockadin in Burning Crusade, but same thing, I sucked at dungeons with this spec, Blizzard wanted paladins to heal.

But I would definetly have been a shockadin if I could play normally in groups.

After that, when double specialization was introduced, Shockadin slowly died a miserable death, apparently this was not a supported spec from Blizzard, except that Holy Shock was all about dps back then, and this was in the Holy tree.

I think they cattered to some kind of players who think that the Holy spec is for healing and that's it.

More on topic, I advocated in WoW for the spear, that it would definitely suit a paladin (Lancelot in the 5 stars 80's movie Excalibur, used a spear to beat up Arthur, ah ah), and way more than a fat 2handed (how strange), and what I see in ESO?

The templar uses a spear (@ within a spell). Well done ZOS. Right on the spot.
    So a +1 for the Templar, in my book. :)
    Options
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you. It was a grind, but I had a good time doing it (except for the last month...the amount I had to play sucked, I am glad they changed the sytem, it was unhealthy).
    I still have all the old armor and weapons. Back then we'd even buy the things we dont use like staves (I was a hunter) just because you'd never see it again.
    Nah I wanted to play a shockadin, but the spec sucked at healing dungeons, so I sticked with the healer spec. I also did played in late classic, and wouldn't have the stuff (T2.5) to nuke enough.
    ya, losing out on the last talent point (the point needed to go 21 in ret) made holy suck at healing.
    I tried Shockadin in Burning Crusade, but same thing, I sucked at dungeons with this spec, Blizzard wanted paladins to heal.

Ya, they nuked it. I went holy...funnily enough I levled holy in TBC, fastest class out of all of them to level and it was my first one to 70. Not because it did any good damage, but because I could always find someone to do the work for me if I just heal botted them. LOL.
    After that, when double specialization was introduced, Shockadin slowly died a miserable death, apparently this was not a supported spec from Blizzard, except that Holy Shock was all about dps back then, and this was in the Holy tree.

I think they cattered to some kind of players who think that the Holy spec is for healing and that's it.
    It definitely was not in their vision, which sucked because it was so frigging fun.

It was not to bad at the beginning of TBC. I had an all shockadin Arena team (5 man). We blew people up so fast it was dumb. We would often hide around a corner, like in ruins of lorderon before they changed the entry (there were corners you could hide around blizz changed it later on).

We'd wait for the opposting team, pop wings (avenging wrath), drop concecrate and watch the enemies drop like flies. It was ridiculous.
    More on topic, I advocated in WoW for the spear, that it would definitely suit a paladin (Lancelot in the 5 stars 80's movie Excalibur, used a spear to beat up Arthur, ah ah), and way more than a fat 2handed (how strange), and what I see in ESO?

I always saw the paladins as sword and shield or mace and shield with a tome. Probably from my dungeons and dragons days and foggy memory. So the wow model fit perfectly for me.

Oddly, I felt templars were out of place with spear, but your interpretation makes sense. Lancelot was cool.

6atuv6el8yq9.png

PC/NA
    Options
  • Al_Ex_Andre
    Al_Ex_Andre
    ✭✭
    Thank you. It was a grind, but I had a good time doing it (except for the last month...the amount I had to play sucked, I am glad they changed the sytem, it was unhealthy).
    I still have all the old armor and weapons. Back then we'd even buy the things we dont use like staves (I was a hunter) just because you'd never see it again.
    ya, losing out on the last talent point (the point needed to go 21 in ret) made holy suck at healing.

Ya, they nuked it. I went holy...funnily enough I levled holy in TBC, fastest class out of all of them to level and it was my first one to 70. Not because it did any good damage, but because I could always find someone to do the work for me if I just heal botted them. LOL.

It definitely was not in their vision, which sucked because it was so frigging fun.

It was not to bad at the beginning of TBC. I had an all shockadin Arena team (5 man). We blew people up so fast it was dumb. We would often hide around a corner, like in ruins of lorderon before they changed the entry (there were corners you could hide around blizz changed it later on).

We'd wait for the opposting team, pop wings (avenging wrath), drop concecrate and watch the enemies drop like flies. It was ridiculous.

I always saw the paladins as sword and shield or mace and shield with a tome. Probably from my dungeons and dragons days and foggy memory. So the wow model fit perfectly for me.

Oddly, I felt templars were out of place with spear, but your interpretation makes sense. Lancelot was cool.

6atuv6el8yq9.png

I totally agree that paladins are sword and board guys^^ I played to AD&D back then too (used AD&D 1st ed, in the 90's), and this was the norm, longsword and shield^^

Just that I think that paladins are "Mace within", "enjoy the Sword" the most, and "lurk toward the spear" because it's most effective HtH weapon^^

Yes WoW paladins make sense, like a lot. What I didn't get in WoW is that paladins are meant to use "holy" fire. In my book, they use fire from the sun, which is fire, not a special breed of fire.^^ And this is what ESO tell us. Templars use fire.

Apparently, in WoW, paladins and warriors were competitors since the start, and wow devs wanted the warrior to incarnate the "fire", while the paladins were sent to incarnate the "holy" fire instead. My reaction was ??

Anyway, to be fair and to come back in topic (hoping), our ESO Dragon Knights are obviously "fire within" too. They are more like fire from the sky though (Like WoW warriors would be), and Templars and DK are double dragons.

Yep , in my book Templars are dragon knights too ; and ESO Dragon Knights are like WoW paladins in T2 "Judgement" set ah ah. A paladin in Judgement set:
    https://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/73502-armure-du-jugement.jpg
    (maybie someone will reply that T2 is definetly "paladin" not DK, in return I would say that in my book T2 really is for evil paladins ah ah :smiley: - so which set for regular paladins? don't look further, T1 "is paladin", ya know the banana set :wink: (My choice was the S2 set, I used WoD black pvp set too))

+1 for ESO Dragon Knights too :smiley:

NB:
    my apologies if my reply is confusing. I try to find the right words, but I may have failed.
    Fire from the sky, is Red. (Warriors, DK) - Fire from the stars is default fire, yellow usually (Paladins, Templars). -cheers
    Options
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mained a sorc for a few years back when I played on console, but my true main, dating back to beta, will always be Templar. It’s my favourite fantasy RPG archetype. I mained a Captain in LOTRO, a Paladin in WoW, etc. Templars are in rough shape at the moment, but hopefully the devs will eventually remember we exist and return us to our former glory.
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can't answer this on a class basis. However:
    • I like classes that have situational skills, for example gap closers, executes and movement skills.
    • I like classes that are straightforward, not requiring complicated hoops to self-heal for example, such as DK historically.
    • I do not like classes that lean heavily into a buff rotation, which I regard as inward looking and no fun, because it's repetitive and always the same, regardless of the situation.
    • I like reacting to the environment around me, rather than doing practiced (dummy) rotations.
    These things originally made me a PvPer. Nowadays I play everything, including every role in vet trials. Class fantasy matters little to me. I like classes for how their mechanics play, regardless of lore or fantasy, except necros and vampires are a turnoff.

The classes I like include nightblade, sorc, templar, arcanist.

I'm on the fence on DK. Leap is fun in PvP, but it tends to be rotation-heavy class and one of it's most fun original skills, the reflect, got nerfed long ago.

Warden is IMO terribly boring. I'm starting to enjoy mine as a healer, but that's it.

I don't play necro.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
    Options
  • MightyShrew
    MightyShrew
    Soul Shriven
    I'd love to see a Necromancer build that allows you to raise undead as a pet, kind of like the Warden and the bear. Instead of a bear (obv) id like you to be able to raise a humanoid size creature you have killed that sticks around until it dies, but looks like a zombie version of what it was, with abilities and stats based on a zombies
    Options
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templar is all I know.

Goes back to my D&D days...being a Cleric - can fight, can heal...can survive.
    Options