The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

If you could multi-class skill lines

phaneub17_ESO
phaneub17_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
You can take any 3 class skill lines and use them together, what combinations would you do?

Example 1: Daedric Summoning, Animal Companion, and Aedric Spear. I would use Volatile Familiar, Twilight Tormentor, Daedric Prey, Bird of Prey, Puncturing Sweep, and Wild Guardian on the front bar; Growing Swarm, Blue Betty, and the 3 pets on back bar. Pet master with stabby jabby!

Example 2: Grave Lord, Ardent Flame, and Dawn's Wrath. Engulfing Flames, Burning Embers, Molten Whip, Skeletal Arcanist, Venom Skull, and Standard of Might on the front bar; Reflective Light, Stalking Blastbones, Power of the Light, Solar Barrage, Mystic Syphon, and Glacial Colossus on back bar. Really take advantage of Engulfing Flames increased flame damage and 10% more DoT power, Venom Skull for Stamina Restore with Combustion; feel the burn!
Edited by ZOS_Icy on 12 January 2024 18:15
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    warden + sorcerer + necromancer... This is halloween! Oh man warden ult would be so cool on necro + sorc monster (small)

Warden dots + sorcerer dots + dragon knight ... Elemental god

Arcanist + dk dots would be amazing

What skills i would use...hm... Hard to say.
    But i main necro and arcanist :)
    Edited by francesinhalover on 10 January 2024 04:43
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • Nihilr
    Nihilr
    ✭✭✭
    This would make the most sense for being an Elder Scrolls game. Sadly PvP balance would be the main reason this never happens. There'd be soooo many complaints about builds being too OP for taking all the "same" attacks to make full DoT or DD dps, etc.

I'm not sure the devs want to re-balance everything around the most broken options, to make the whole game relatively level playing field. Although, it would make people think deeper about making their build focus around a singular theme.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sure, why not?

After that let's create an even more narrow meta than the present and ask zos to remove the now unnecessary former class skills from the game entirely to reduce the server load. :D;)
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually fully developed this idea a few years ago and submitted it to ZOS and believe it could still work.

I attached the unlocking of passives with skills so further up the tree you unlock the more passives you get but like the CP system where you need to place the node the skill system is similar so there is a cap on how many class skills you can have active at any one time, this ensure you must make sacrifices in terms of skills with their passives. Sure it would need balancing but what doesnt, it allows the player to truly play how they want and when new class systems come with chapter you just unlock and level up, no alts required.

I did have it fully documented and it all made sense and wasnt open to abuse or anything... but lets see what ZOS has for this year.
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Nihilr
    Nihilr
    ✭✭✭
    Sure it would need balancing but what doesnt, it allows the player to truly play how they want and when new class systems come with chapter you just unlock and level up, no alts required.

Another good point would be that you don't need a class change token with this system either. I actually think that *any 2* class skill lines would be sufficient also, and be more balanced. My husband has wanted this for years--but they won't even add new weapons (according to an interview with devs), so we're not holding our breath anymore for either of these ideas, sadly.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    - Curative Runeforms, healing from Arcanist.
    - Dawn's Wrath, damaging from Templar.
    - Bone Tyrant, tanking from Necromancer.

arcanist, templar, and necromancer in one character would be fun.

i also love tanking with
    - Winter's Embrace from Warden.
    - Soldier of Apocrypha from Arcanist.

and love damage from
    - Assassination from Nightblade.
    - Herald of the Tome from Arcanist.

and healing with
    - Green Balance from Warden.
    - Restoring Light from Templar.

the combat pets from Warden, Sorcerer, and Necromancer can be really fun.
    but i don't always use the pets so can't really include those skill lines.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arcanist with Sorc Pets
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd probably give of a few characters the Animal Companion skill line, but I think that's about it for me. I very rarely take class skills anyway, outside of having some slotted while leveling the skill line for the passives I want. I rely mostly on weapon, guild and world skill lines.
    I just don't like ESO's classes I guess...
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • gvgisdi
      gvgisdi
      ✭✭
      Curse, blastbones, shalks, jabs spam and a heal. One bar all I need
    • merpins
      merpins
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Herald of the Tome, Animal Companions, Daedric Summoning. The ultimate lazy setup. Flail + Beam + Shalks + Sorc Pets + Bear. Swap Fissure for Daedric Prey on the front bar for a two-bar setup, and stick Fissure on the backbar with the pets, Fletcher, and Cutting Dive.

Alternative would be Herald of the Tome, Animal Companions, and Dawn's Wrath. Fatecaver + Flail + Shalks + Solar Barrage + Radiant Glory + Languid Eye for the ultimate beam setup. Beam, then beam, then beam some more! I'd probably use the bear over the beam ult though. Backbar would be Fletcher + Cutting Dive + Fulminating Rune + Inspired Scholarship + Barbed Trap + Bear.

If Templar jabs was reverted, I'd probably enjoy a setup like... Aedric Spear, Animal Companions, Dark Magic. Jabs + Frags + Shalks + Barbed Trap + Bird of Prey + Bear on the front bar, Fletcher + Luminous Shards + Cutting Dive + Wall of Fire + Bird of Prey + Bear on the backbar. Would be a fun setup, Jabs Jabs Frag Proc, Shalks on CD with your AOEs.

I've done this thought experiment before in the forums, a year or so ago (before Arcanist). Surprisingly a lot of variety you can have with this, making for some really unique setups. Most players will tend towards setups they like, rather than the super optimal choice. Just look at mine: I obviously favor Fatecarver and Animal Companions.
      Edited by merpins on 10 January 2024 16:38
    • Erickson9610
      Erickson9610
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      For Werewolf damage dealing in PvE, I'd pick Aedric Spear, Storm Calling, and Dark Magic specifically for the passives which work without the use of Class abilities.

That is, in Werewolf form, I'd have access to the passives Burning Light, Balanced Warrior, Unholy Knowledge, Capacitor, Energized, and Amplitude. I wouldn't be able to use the active abilities from those skill lines in Werewolf form anyway.
      Edited by Erickson9610 on 10 January 2024 16:57
      PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
    • XxCaLxX
      XxCaLxX
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      So basically do away with all classes and when you create a character you choose the three skill lines from the game you want? Makes zero sense for a nightblade to have necro skills so removing classes is only way to make sense. It'll never happen. If the game was designed and released that way then sure and tbh it would probably be better and they could have just added more skill lines instead of classes but this would break any kind of balance the game has and require constant updates with balancing.
    • MindOfTheSwarm
      MindOfTheSwarm
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Winter’s Embrace, Winter’s Embrace and Winter’s Embrace… but the skills from different lines would be stackable. 3 Winter’s Revenge, 3 Arctic Blasts. 😈
    • merpins
      merpins
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      XxCaLxX wrote: »
      So basically do away with all classes and when you create a character you choose the three skill lines from the game you want? Makes zero sense for a nightblade to have necro skills so removing classes is only way to make sense. It'll never happen. If the game was designed and released that way then sure and tbh it would probably be better and they could have just added more skill lines instead of classes but this would break any kind of balance the game has and require constant updates with balancing.

This thread's main comment doesn't seem like a suggestion. It's a thought experiment. You play in the space by saying what you'd do with this prompt. If a teacher gave you the prompt "Aliens attack earth, what would you do?" and you turned in an assignment saying how ridiculous the prompt is, you'd get a failing grade.

Would I want this idea in game? Probably not, though I like it and would probably enjoy the game more if it was implemented. Would it ever happen? Probably not. But OP probably knows that.
      Edited by merpins on 10 January 2024 17:18
    • XxCaLxX
      XxCaLxX
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      merpins wrote: »
      XxCaLxX wrote: »

This thread's main comment doesn't seem like a suggestion. It's a thought experiment. You play in the space by saying what you'd do with this prompt. If a teacher gave you the prompt "Aliens attack earth, what would you do?" and you turned in an assignment saying how ridiculous the prompt is, you'd get a failing grade.

Would I want this idea in game? Probably not, though I like it and would probably enjoy the game more if it was implemented. Would it ever happen? Probably not. But OP probably knows that.

These are also my thoughts and what would happen if it were in game.
    • francesinhalover
      francesinhalover
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Nihilr wrote: »
      This would make the most sense for being an Elder Scrolls game. Sadly PvP balance would be the main reason this never happens. There'd be soooo many complaints about builds being too OP for taking all the "same" attacks to make full DoT or DD dps, etc.

I'm not sure the devs want to re-balance everything around the most broken options, to make the whole game relatively level playing field. Although, it would make people think deeper about making their build focus around a singular theme.

I'm so tired of pvp ruining games. especially this one.
      I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
      Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
    • Bobargus
      Bobargus
      ✭✭✭✭
      I'd make a pet only build. Conjuration ftw.
    • Nihilr
      Nihilr
      ✭✭✭
      I forgot to mention my options:

Option 1:
      *Shadow
      *Ardent Flame

Option 2:
      *Dark Magic
      *Siphoning

Option 3:
      *Winter's Embrace
      *Grave Lord

I'm choosing 2 because 3 makes too many options and you can't slot that many class skills anyway.

My husband would choose:
      *Dark Magic
      *Shadow
      (or)
      *Dark Magic
      *Winter's Embrace

In Oblivion, you could make *your own class* by choosing a fixed number of skills that would get experience bonuses. In Skyrim they dropped the whole class system and let you *play how you want*. I wish they would do the same here, but I just doubt they would allow it, unless you could only have 2 selected skill lines, otherwise if you wanted 3, they'd force you to select the original "class" trifecta for each existing class as they are today.
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, this game is FAR less "ruined" by PVP than the total open world ones like WoW (and RIFT before it folded away to nothing). PVP here happens in Cyro, IC, and BGs. That's it. I also don't think PVP ruins things for PVE as often as some do.

And I really do think it's time for PVP to get a lot of love from the devs. MORE than time. Even though I don't PVP at all.
      Edited by TaSheen on 10 January 2024 22:58

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
    • cmetzger93
      cmetzger93
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      This would be more in line with all other elder scrolls games. I think it could be done after a few balancing passes. Classes have very little meaning as it is right now anyways
    • merpins
      merpins
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      cmetzger93 wrote: »
      This would be more in line with all other elder scrolls games. I think it could be done after a few balancing passes. Classes have very little meaning as it is right now anyways

I think classes have a lot of meaning in ESO. But at the same time, I feel like during the development of ESO, the devs felt classes were necessary for the type of game being made. I don't think they're necessary, though the themes they represent are. I'd wager it would be somewhat easier to balance the game if you could pick 3 skill lines per character, rather than one class. But it's not gonna happen. It's too locked in at this point, unfortunately.
    • Nihilr
      Nihilr
      ✭✭✭

I think classes have a lot of meaning in ESO. But at the same time, I feel like during the development of ESO, the devs felt classes were necessary for the type of game being made. I don't think they're necessary, though the themes they represent are. I'd wager it would be somewhat easier to balance the game if you could pick 3 skill lines per character, rather than one class. But it's not gonna happen. It's too locked in at this point, unfortunately.

I dunno. It would really upset the meta so much that players would have to reroll, and that makes Zenimax lots of money. My husband would delete at least 3 characters to reroll, I have enough slots to create more characters because I'm more content with my builds--but I'd definitely be willing to spend $$$ on crown store achievement unlocks for the new characters if they did this much change. Mount training, skyshards, all of it. The game would be peak Elder Scrolls and worth every dime. Until then, we hold out. *shrug*
    • Pixiepumpkin
      Pixiepumpkin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      TaSheen wrote: »

Actually, this game is FAR less "ruined" by PVP than the total open world ones like WoW (and RIFT before it folded away to nothing). PVP here happens in Cyro, IC, and BGs. That's it. I also don't think PVP ruins things for PVE as often as some do.

And I really do think it's time for PVP to get a lot of love from the devs. MORE than time. Even though I don't PVP at all.

WoW servers are now opt in for world pvp, you have to enable "war mode" to engage in world pvp. This has been a thing for many many years now.

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/War_Mode

https://www.wowhead.com/guide/war-mode-world-pvp-system-6091

Edited by Pixiepumpkin on 11 January 2024 07:40
      "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
      PC/NA
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

WoW servers are now opt in for world pvp, you have to enable "war mode" to engage in world pvp. This has been a thing for many many years now.

IIRC they were (except for the straight-up pvp realms) opt-in all along, but during the years I played, it was extremely easy for trolls to "trap" people into being flagged. And due to that I got very good at not being trolled in that manner.

I did play on a friend's pvp server for a while near the end of my WoW tenure. Wasn't as bad as it could have been, as his guild was very good at hanging together and not getting jumped individually. Still wasn't a lot of fun. I've just never been a pvp-interested person.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
    • Minnesinger
      Minnesinger
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I would love to combine nb with dk skills.

As a gap closer: Lotus Fan/ Unrelenting Grip
      CC: Fossilize/ Burning Talons/Mass hysteria
      AoE: Inhale/ Noxious Breath/ Power Extraction
      Single Target: Killer's Blade/ Flame Lash/ Burning Embers
      Survival: Shadow Image/ Dark Cloak/ All goodies from DK skill trees
      Ulti: Oh my...Soul Tether
      The wind is cold where I live,
      The blizzard is my home,
      Snow and ice and loaded dice, the Wizard lives alone.
    • Cooperharley
      Cooperharley
      ✭✭✭✭✭

IIRC they were (except for the straight-up pvp realms) opt-in all along, but during the years I played, it was extremely easy for trolls to "trap" people into being flagged. And due to that I got very good at not being trolled in that manner.

I did play on a friend's pvp server for a while near the end of my WoW tenure. Wasn't as bad as it could have been, as his guild was very good at hanging together and not getting jumped individually. Still wasn't a lot of fun. I've just never been a pvp-interested person.

This is not the case - you are misunderstanding. You have to go to a capital city in WoW now to enable war mode, which allows for open world PvP. It is not what you are referring to and hasn’t been for some time now.

WoW’s PvP is significantly ahead of ESO’s currently in battlegrounds, arenas, open world, you name it. I love eso more as a game, for sure, but ZOS hasn’t touched PvP since they introduced volendrung and the bridges. Last big update was when vvardenfell released and we got battlegrounds.

ESO’s biggest problem on top of a lack of content is the inability for the developers to balance PvP and PVE separately. If something feels good on one end it likely doesn’t on the other and so it gets nerfed like oakensoul big time. What ESO needs is a dedicated team for PvP no doubt about it
    • Cooperharley
      Cooperharley
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Outside of my previous off topic PvP comment (lol), I would LOVE the ability to cross use different class skill lines. But, there’s a problem with this - there would very quickly be a META for each role which would largely kill any sort of identity. ZOS would need to significantly buff a number of class skill lines (cough cough necro, sorc and Templar) prior to doing anything like this

BUT - it would be sick 100%
    • merpins
      merpins
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭

I dunno. It would really upset the meta so much that players would have to reroll, and that makes Zenimax lots of money. My husband would delete at least 3 characters to reroll, I have enough slots to create more characters because I'm more content with my builds--but I'd definitely be willing to spend $$$ on crown store achievement unlocks for the new characters if they did this much change. Mount training, skyshards, all of it. The game would be peak Elder Scrolls and worth every dime. Until then, we hold out. *shrug*

It would make Zos a lot of dosh, that's for sure. If this was rolled out, they'd be able to do themed skill lines. That would mean they could make more Nightblade, or Dragon Knight, or Arcanist (or other) skill lines for their themes. Put a skill line respec scroll in the cash shop that costs 1500 crowns if they wanna be generous (subs), or 2500 crowns is more likely, allowing you to re-choose your class skill lines. When it's rolled out, give everyone the ability to change each character (that existed before the launch of the system) once for a number of weeks or a couple months, making it clear that your character is locked to what you pick unless you pay. Of course, you can do it for free by making a new character.

They'd print money, I'm sure.
      Edited by merpins on 11 January 2024 16:37
    • merpins
      merpins
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Outside of my previous off topic PvP comment (lol), I would LOVE the ability to cross use different class skill lines. But, there’s a problem with this - there would very quickly be a META for each role which would largely kill any sort of identity. ZOS would need to significantly buff a number of class skill lines (cough cough necro, sorc and Templar) prior to doing anything like this

BUT - it would be sick 100%

Much easier to balance singular skill lines than whole classes, Imo. Sure, there'd probably be a kind of meta, but I don't think the meta would be "these three skill lines are best, no matter what" but more like "these 6 skill lines are best, and these specific ones are bad. These combinations are also just as good." At least when it comes to DPS. I'm pretty sure you have a lot of neat options and diversity in the healer and tank roles. But DPS wise, it would need balancing, but even so, I believe just doing this would result in the game being more balanced than it is right now.
      Edited by merpins on 11 January 2024 17:08
    • Anumaril
      Anumaril
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      100% I'd take the DD Necro skill line, and then the Dark Magic/Daedric Summoning Sorc skill lines too. I love me some dark sorcery/necromancy.