The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

If Combat Was Removed Entirely, Would You Still Play?

• boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    robwolf666 wrote: »
    Quackery wrote: »
    What a pointless thread. ZOS will never remove the combat.

I think it's a pretty good indicator of who's here for the lore and story and who's not. Quite possibly also who's here because they're an Elder Scrolls fan and who's a mmo/pvp fan.

Not true. Every single elder scrolls game has had combat in one way or another. You can be both a fan of mmorpgs and the elder scrolls lore. I came from morrowind and eso is my first and only mmo. How do you quest, how do you fight daedra with no combat. There is so much for folks who arent interested in that side of things. Why on earth would you want to take so many people's enjoyment out of the game?...
    Edited by boi_anachronism_ on 1 June 2023 20:35
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odd poll is odd?
    So, I take it there was especially bad latency in Cyro today? Or just post-Mayhem boredom? :grin:

Or if overland feels too weak go fight a dragon with only your weapons and wearing your best war-face and nothing else.

Tellin ya, now THAT is a tough fight :D
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    I like trials too much
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    I would most definitely not play anymore. The biggest appeal to me in this game is skill expression through how the player makes use of this games second to second action economy. Winding up a heavy attack for the right amount of time to let it go and weave it with a skill the instant you're in range and targeting. Block, heal, roll, mobility skill between second 0 and second 1. Adding a bash at the end of your weave just in case that's enough damage to finish the target off that second. Using an ability with a cast time, charging a heavy attack underneath that cast animation, then weaving that heavy attack with an instant skill at the start of the next GCD (this one's my favorite)

Then there's the incredibly engaging act of juggling healing, buffing, mitigating, and damage doing all at the same time.

This is from a solo and pvp perspective. For structured and large group pve stuff the combat doesn't look very dynamic or enjoyable and if you judge ESO combat off of that environment, then it looks pretty mediocre.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Look, the game is designed to have some things for loads of people, which means it's not necessarily got a focus on any one thing. Some people will only do PvP, some people won't touch PvP with a ten foot pole. Some people will roll and powerlevel alts for the sole purpose of having the meta class for the next trial, and others will spend hours in character creation to make sure that they chose the correct forehead slope for their RP character. Some people will chase achievements, some people want to show off their massive housing creations, some people can spend ages adventuring through Tamriel with their friends or NPC buddies or flipping cards at the tavern. And yes, some players are new/incapable of/uninterested in getting sweaty just to get through the story. Not everyone wants to play Dark Souls 24/7.

All of those playstyles are legit. If you're not interested in one of those playstyles, you don't need to partake in it. But what we don't need to do is throw out hyperbolic hypotheticals in the form of "OMG MY META 100k+ DPS BUILD DOES 100k DPS TO OVERLAND MOBS SO I ONESHOT THEM SO JUST GET RID OF ALL THE COMBAT BECAUSE ONLY 1337 UBERZ LIKE ME ARE WORTHY OF PLAYING!!!"

What is it with all of the barely-disguised "Overland is too easy" threads leaking out of the stickied thread lately? So many of them just end up sounding like: cover3.jpg
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Would Still Play
    @tomofhyrule - if I could give you a million awesomes I would!

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    Look, the game is designed to have some things for loads of people, which means it's not necessarily got a focus on any one thing. Some people will only do PvP, some people won't touch PvP with a ten foot pole. Some people will roll and powerlevel alts for the sole purpose of having the meta class for the next trial, and others will spend hours in character creation to make sure that they chose the correct forehead slope for their RP character. Some people will chase achievements, some people want to show off their massive housing creations, some people can spend ages adventuring through Tamriel with their friends or NPC buddies or flipping cards at the tavern. And yes, some players are new/incapable of/uninterested in getting sweaty just to get through the story. Not everyone wants to play Dark Souls 24/7.

All of those playstyles are legit. If you're not interested in one of those playstyles, you don't need to partake in it. But what we don't need to do is throw out hyperbolic hypotheticals in the form of "OMG MY META 100k+ DPS BUILD DOES 100k DPS TO OVERLAND MOBS SO I ONESHOT THEM SO JUST GET RID OF ALL THE COMBAT BECAUSE ONLY 1337 UBERZ LIKE ME ARE WORTHY OF PLAYING!!!"

What is it with all of the barely-disguised "Overland is too easy" threads leaking out of the stickied thread lately? So many of them just end up sounding like: cover3.jpg

Well, I agree with almost everything you're saying, except one thing:

Although some people (including me) would prefer an OPTIONAL veteran overland content, nobody is demanding to force all players to play this optional instance, neither in the stickied thread you linked nor anywhere else.

It's indeed quite the contrary: The only playmodes (besides present since the beginning of this game and besides as optional as even possible) which are continuosly attacked are endgame PvE and PvP in general. Some toxic casuals (by far not all casual gamers tho), especially the faction still treating LA weaving as "bug" (without even knowing what they mean by that) want to end the fun in this game by crying for nerfs for PvE endgame builds (while of course using every broken build they are capable of by themselves), crying for eliminating PvP in cyrodiil and IC and so on.

I again want to emphasize, that I'm not talking here in general. I know it's a clear minority, although a very loud one. Why are they doing it? Is it envy or maybe it is out of despise against groupplay in general? I don't know to be honest.

But as we all clearly can see in this forums, it enforces a reaction. Nobody wants to loose his playstyle and nobody is demanding the elimination of any, except endgame PvE and PvP.
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    Stamicka wrote: »
    It seems ESO becomes more casual and Animal Crossing like each year. The majority of the game does not require any substantial combat whatsoever (housing, fishing, crafting, scrying, exploring, gathering resources, trading, Tales of Tribute, the list goes on). Would you still play the game if there was no combat required at all?

In this scenario, imagine that all quests would remain in the game, you just wouldn’t have to engage in combat.

To be honest I think that this thread is a subset of the pinned overland thread. Someone wants a harder game, nothing wrong with that but suggesting a total removal of combat is rather drastic IMHO.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Would Still Play
    Yes I like the non combat content. Having said that though it's the combat that makes the game exciting in so many ways so I feel like it needs to stay and the team do a fantastic job with it, hands down the best combat in any MMO game I've played and probably any other kind of game also. I'd still play but it would be like losing something very important if combat left and I'd be grieving it heavily.
  • Stamicka
    Stamicka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    LalMirchi wrote: »
    Stamicka wrote: »
    It seems ESO becomes more casual and Animal Crossing like each year. The majority of the game does not require any substantial combat whatsoever (housing, fishing, crafting, scrying, exploring, gathering resources, trading, Tales of Tribute, the list goes on). Would you still play the game if there was no combat required at all?

In this scenario, imagine that all quests would remain in the game, you just wouldn’t have to engage in combat.

To be honest I think that this thread is a subset of the pinned overland thread. Someone wants a harder game, nothing wrong with that but suggesting a total removal of combat is rather drastic IMHO.

No, this thread is not a subset of the Overland thread (Do you hear me moderators? That means leave my thread alone please, this question is much more broad than anything concerning overland).

This is a poll that asks a very simple, but broad question to the players. What I want is irrelevant, just answer and share your opinion.
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Would Still Play
    I would keep playing.

As often said (sorry for the repeat those who know), ESO is for me a side game to take a break aside of my main, in which I have no other objective than chilling solo in full peace.

Mainly, I wander freely in explorable, harvesting all resources on my way, if possible within zones free of foes. Aside of that, I trade. Once in a while, I do a quest. Once in a blue moon, a delve. All in all, fighting isn't really part of my activities so if it would disappear, that wouldn't impact me much.

I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why would combat be removed? This isn't a visual novel.
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    No combat would remove 90% of the game content. Housing is clunky and grindy or expensive. The quests are boring and involve combat. I’m not into ERP or role playing.

What would be good is if ZoS could add some play options for pacifists so that you could play a character that didn’t kill anything.
  • Bobargus
    Bobargus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I Would Still Play
    If there was no combat in ESO, i would choose to play it, instead of pretending that the game doesn't exist.
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    I play this game for the combat, if I wanted engaging quests, I would play fallout 76, And yes, that game has a WAY better story than eso, and is way better at quest diversity, and has done a WAY better job at scaling enemies. They scale the enemies so they are not impossible, but do not make them so easy that I could play with two fingers and one arm.
  • Jamie_Aubrey
    Jamie_Aubrey
    ✭✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    PVP and my guild is the only reason I came back, if they took that away I'd find a new game to play once a week
    RETIRED FROM ESO
    PC/EU
    Former Empress & Grand Overlord Vex Valentino
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore

They dont have to change the mobs to be impossible, but they could scale them ala fallout 76 to where at least the quest bosses were a bit difficult. The difficulty is so low it honestly feels insulting.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I Would Still Play
    Jammy420 wrote: »
    They dont have to change the mobs to be impossible, but they could scale them ala fallout 76 to where at least the quest bosses were a bit difficult. The difficulty is so low it honestly feels insulting.

The mobs in ESO aren't scaled, they're static at level 50 CP 160. The player gets scaled instead, which leads to certain issues such players feeling weaker the closer they get to 50 (without CP).

FO 76 uses the same scaling mechanic as FO 4 does as far as I know. At least it was possible to mod FO 76 with FO 4's mod-kit at some point (don't know if that changed or not).

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • SedoUmbra
      SedoUmbra
      ✭✭✭
      I Would Not Play Anymore
      I'd probably play for a couple of days maybe, but I'd get supremely bored and the story, customisation and RP head canons wouldn't be enough to save it. I'd probably give it up and never come back.
    • spartaxoxo
      spartaxoxo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I Would Not Play Anymore
      The combat adds flavor to the game, and some of the difficult encounters are quite enjoyable.
    • BoraxFlux
      BoraxFlux
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I Would Not Play Anymore
      Without combat, I'd lose interest in the game fast, it feels like an accomplishment to master the mechanics of an NPC boss or anticipate tactics of a battle in Cyrodiil. It's gamewise an inspiration to see players beating the odds, thinking fast on their feet and cooperate against a common enemy.
    • Seminolegirl1992
      Seminolegirl1992
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I Would Not Play Anymore
      Obligatory third option- I would play significantly less. I would still do content, but probably mostly stick to housing at that point.
      @Seminolegirl1992 PC/NA CP 2300+ PVE, PVP, RP, Housing: Tel Galen, Fair Winds, Moon Sugar, Grand Psijic, Forsaken, HOTLC, Bastion, Ravenhurst, Gardner, Alinor, Hakkvild's, Gorinir, Kragenhome, Hundings, & more- feel free to come see!
      Main PVE: Rynne, breton mag dk
      PVP: Levexa, EP nord mag dk
      Crafter: Sabaki Taiyo, khajiit templar
      RP: N'zuri, Penelope Mecoud, Vhenasi Galanodel, Alassea Rilynn'urdrenn, Taiga Soulhammer, Jhaneyl Everhath, Nym Baenre, Eilistraee, Levexa, Rynne Galanodel, Mielikki, Hanali Celanil, Arwen Galanodel, Grainne. I think I have a problem.
      Former Empress | Swashbuckler Supreme | Godslayer | Gryphon Heart | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Dro-m'athra Destroyer | Dawnbringer
    • Kiralyn2000
      Kiralyn2000
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      "I think the combat is too easy, therefore it is for everyone. They might as well remove it."

Uh huh. Sure.

And show me a long-running MMO that isn't filled with all sorts of stuff that isn't "combat"-y.

Of course I wouldn't play it if they removed combat entirely. But they wouldn't.

(and once again, can someone tell me another 'big' MMO where the overland combat isn't entirely trivial for level-capped/geared/meta/etc players? )
      Edited by Kiralyn2000 on 3 June 2023 01:06
    • Jammy420
      Jammy420
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I Would Not Play Anymore
      Kendaric wrote: »
      Jammy420 wrote: »

The mobs in ESO aren't scaled, they're static at level 50 CP 160. The player gets scaled instead, which leads to certain issues such players feeling weaker the closer they get to 50 (without CP).

FO 76 uses the same scaling mechanic as FO 4 does as far as I know. At least it was possible to mod FO 76 with FO 4's mod-kit at some point (don't know if that changed or not).

Whatever they use, it's eons better than esos scaling. I actually feel a little challenged when face enemies such as a deathclaw. In ESO I can beat it naked with one arm.
      "I think the combat is too easy, therefore it is for everyone. They might as well remove it."

Uh huh. Sure.

And show me a long-running MMO that isn't filled with all sorts of stuff that isn't "combat"-y.

Of course I wouldn't play it if they removed combat entirely. But they wouldn't.

(and once again, can someone tell me another 'big' MMO where the overland combat isn't entirely trivial for level-capped/geared/meta/etc players? )

Fallout 76.
    • Kallykat
      Kallykat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I Would Still Play
      Of course they would never remove combat, and I'm not saying they should either because I know many people enjoy it and find it essential, but if there was a hypothetical version of the game in which everything else was the same but somehow combat was removed, then I absolutely would still play it. The things I enjoy about this game are experiencing the stories, learning the lore, exploring the world, customizing characters and housing, scrying for antiquities, and adding to my collections. Combat is mostly something I begrudgingly deal with just to access those other things.
    • Ishtarknows
      Ishtarknows
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I Would Not Play Anymore
      Since I play this MMO for the challenging content, doing dungeons and trials there would be no point playing if combat was removed and I would leave. I don't want a point and click game. Elder Scrolls has never been that.
      Edited by Ishtarknows on 3 June 2023 09:48
    • Hvíthákarl
      Hvíthákarl
      ✭✭✭
      I Would Still Play
      AuraNebula wrote: »
      I can't believe the amount of responses of people saying they would still play. I don't see the point in having an MMORPG with no combat.
      There are several MMOs with no combat, plus a ton of projects well on their way.
      ESO's not. I'd still like it and keep playing the game in an hypothetical scenario where they remove everything combat related and add a lot of non combat stuff... but the game wasn't designed and catered towards that niche, so it would result in a mass migration. Which I understand: A huge chunk of the community is here for the combat in one way or another.

• ADarklore
      ADarklore
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I Would Not Play Anymore
      Combat for me is a major part of the whole questing experience. Without combat, I wouldn't have to spend time developing builds, trying new gear sets, or even have a use for companions. It would honestly take away every reason I play the game.
      CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    • loaganb16_ESO
      loaganb16_ESO
      ✭✭✭
      I Would Still Play
      This already is the case. There is only smashing one button while zooming through whereever the NPC sends you. I am honest: combat only exists sometimes at the end of any story. There at least you are forced to wait 3 or 4 times to press some button because of invulnerability mechanics befor the enemy drops.
    • SilverBride
      SilverBride
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I Would Still Play
      How could the remove all combat? Most of the quests in this game require combat and I don't think they are going to do away with questing.
      PCNA