The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
The connection issues for the North American megaservers have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

If Combat Was Removed Entirely, Would You Still Play?

• Onomos
    Onomos
    ✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    I'm not solely here for combat. In fact, some days I don't engage in any. But to remove it entirely would make my overall enjoyment much less. I enjoy dungeons and trials too much.
    Primary: DK Orc DC
    Secondary: Warden Bosmer AD
    Options
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    I mean, combat is already not required. You can level a character to 50 without any combat. I have done this. After that you can do all of non combative stuff pretty easily.

That said combat is the core of the game.
    Options
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I Would Still Play
    Stamicka wrote: »
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    yea of course i would because i love housing. but how would i do nearly every daily quest in the game?

So in quests that involve combat, maybe you walk up to the enemy, press a button, and it instantly dies. If you think about it, since the developers refuse to make overland more difficult, we are already close to this!

that would be a funny way to complete daily quests. we're definitely not close to it though, unless you fight world bosses with a full group everytime of course
    then it dies in seconds
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options
  • PrincessOfThieves
    PrincessOfThieves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    I spend a lot of time doing non-combat stuff like housing, but if the combat was removed entirely/drastically simplified, I would stop playing.
    Options
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I Would Still Play
    The only way I'd stop playing is if they made it not an elder scrolls game anymore
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
    Options
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    I can't think of any way to make ESO more casual than it already is, but as this thread shows, there are people who are still trying to insist it's not casual enough. People need to realize that ESO is not supposed to be just like the previous Elder Scrolls games. ESO is an MMO and is supposed to encourage grouping and group collaboration and combat. ESO is only Elder Scrolls THEMED, it IS NOT a continuation of the Elder Scrolls offline series of games.
    Options
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    Besides the fact that I “main” dungeons, I would find it incredibly insulting.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    Options
  • AuraNebula
    AuraNebula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    I can't believe the amount of responses of people saying they would still play. I don't see the point in having an MMORPG with no combat. The game is already catering to people who didn't want to learn how to min max and has made it easier for everyone already. I miss the old ESO.

However the majority of players are not on the forums. The majority of people who play PvP aren't on the forums. What I believe is that there is a small minority of players who want the game easy and they are the loud majority on the forums. So they get what they want.

I play MMOs because I want a challenge. If I wanted to say animal crossing and story of seasons I would just play one of those games. Just questing with no combat would be so dull. There has not been a single elder scrolls game with zero combat. You always have to kill something.
    Edited by AuraNebula on 1 June 2023 16:05
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    Stamicka wrote: »
    The majority of the game does not require any substantial combat whatsoever (housing, fishing, crafting, scrying, exploring, gathering resources, trading, Tales of Tribute, the list goes on).

I suppose that is technically true. And if that's what some players want to do on ESO, good for them, go for it, have fun. But I would wager the majority of players are here for the combat, whether that is overland, PVP, or PVE group play.

Options
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    Voted no because I don't think I could play PvP without combat 😅

Imagine instead of fighting over a castle you have to knock on the door and hope for RNG to turn the castle into your alliance color 😉
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
    Options
  • Jestir
    Jestir
    ✭✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    What would be the point in this game without any combat at all?
    Options
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    Wolfkeks wrote: »
    Voted no because I don't think I could play PvP without combat 😅

Imagine instead of fighting over a castle you have to knock on the door and hope for RNG to turn the castle into your alliance color 😉

A round of cards maybe? ;)
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
    Options
  • Hoghorn
    Hoghorn
    ✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    If you think about it, since the developers refuse to make overland more difficult, we are already close to this!
    [/quote]

going by what i have seen and heard from other players over the years, a large portion of the player base would be incapable of finishing open world quests if overworld combat were significantly more difficult. what is laughably easy for most is very difficult for a large minority and i think zos knows this and cares more about keeping those players' cash coming in than they do about the dissatisfaction of you and players like you.
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    The game would be utterly boring. An idea that would never get any consideration from Zenimax as it would lead to the game dying an instant death.
    Options
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't have a problem killing things...
    Options
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean I might still play just to work on my houses... if they reduced the price of the sub to like 25 cents. But yeah, no. Sounds rather boring.
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ProudMary wrote: »
    I can't think of any way to make ESO more casual than it already is, but as this thread shows, there are people who are still trying to insist it's not casual enough. People need to realize that ESO is not supposed to be just like the previous Elder Scrolls games. ESO is an MMO and is supposed to encourage grouping and group collaboration and combat. ESO is only Elder Scrolls THEMED, it IS NOT a continuation of the Elder Scrolls offline series of games.

I think "casual" and "hard core" are more about a player's attitude than about what kind of content is in a game. The game has plenty of content for either type of player, and each player can approach any given type of content with either attitude.

Just as an example, I think housing is generally considered to be "casual" content, yet a lot of the players who are interested in it are very hard core about the way they engage in it.

Likewise, group dungeons are probably considered to be "hard core" content, yet players can certainly be casual about the way they engage with that content.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Would Still Play
    Its almost like there are people here who enjoy exploration too.

An ESO that's more like Tomb Raider or Uncharted, but without killing everything and everyone in sight? Yes please.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    I love Pvp. Killing real people in real time relieves my stress. I now have low blood pressure, good heart action and and a feeling of accomplishment that I have 4 stars. Can't wait for my number 5.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy how people seem to exclusively express their frustration on this forum through the medium of created polls.
    H4r0jrZh.png
    Edited by zaria on 1 June 2023 17:43
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Would Still Play
    Quackery wrote: »
    What a pointless thread. ZOS will never remove the combat.

I think it's a pretty good indicator of who's here for the lore and story and who's not. Quite possibly also who's here because they're an Elder Scrolls fan and who's a mmo/pvp fan.
    Options
  • lzzy
    lzzy
    ✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    RPGs without combat can be really good, and most of my favorite TES quests have no required combat at all. I don't think ESO can be that sort of game for me though. It's the only Elder Scrolls game that has combat I genuinely find fun.
    Edited by lzzy on 1 June 2023 18:57
    Options
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I Would Not Play Anymore
    robwolf666 wrote: »

I think it's a pretty good indicator of who's here for the lore and story and who's not. Quite possibly also who's here because they're an Elder Scrolls fan and who's a mmo/pvp fan.

Well, that's not necessarily a contradiction, you know?

I'm here for the lore and for the story as well as for the combat system. I play Elder Scrolls since Tes III, although the combat was bad back then as it was in skyrim.

Is it an integral part of Tes lore, that combat has to be as meaningless as in skyrim? I don't think so. Eso is meanwhile the biggest source of Tes lore as well as the title with by far the best combat system.

Of course, tastes may differ, but denying anyone who enjoys combat in eso to be interested in lore is just insulting.
    Edited by Braffin on 1 June 2023 18:53
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
    Options
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I Would Still Play
    Braffin wrote: »

I'm here for the lore and for the story as well as for the story. I play Elder Scrolls since Tes III, although the combat was bad back then as it was in skyrim.

Is it an integral part of Tes lore, that combat has to be as meaningless as in skyrim? I don't think so. Eso is meanwhile the biggest source of Tes lore as well as the title with by far the best combat system.

I prefered Morrowind's combat system to Skyrim's actually. Though I definitely prefer Skyrim's combat to ESO combat system.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
      Options
    • Soarora
      Soarora
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      I Would Not Play Anymore

Well, that's not necessarily a contradiction, you know?

I'm here for the lore and for the story as well as for the combat system. I play Elder Scrolls since Tes III, although the combat was bad back then as it was in skyrim.

Of course, tastes may differ, but denying anyone who enjoys combat in eso to be interested in lore is just insulting.

This. I'm here as an elder scrolls fan. I love the lore so much I mention it in my bio here. That said, what is also in my bio is that I do dungeons/trials. I enjoy the combat here much more than in the single-player games. The two groups of players are not mutually exclusive, neither one should be supported over the other.
      PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
      Options
    • Braffin
      Braffin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      I Would Not Play Anymore
      Kendaric wrote: »

I'm here for the lore and for the story as well as for the story. I play Elder Scrolls since Tes III, although the combat was bad back then as it was in skyrim.

I prefered Morrowind's combat system to Skyrim's actually. Though I definitely prefer Skyrim's combat to ESO combat system.

As said above, tastes may differ. But would you honestly denying someone to be not interested in a specific story or lore just because this person also is interested in other aspects of the game?

Btw: I share your opinion about morrowind vs. skyrim. I wasn't amused that even more skills were cut away than in oblivion before.
      Edited by Braffin on 1 June 2023 19:02
      ---
      Options
    • merpins
      merpins
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      I Would Not Play Anymore
      I mean the game is more than half combat. You can't even complete quests without combat.
      Options
    • Dojohoda
      Dojohoda
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      I Would Not Play Anymore
      How would I get leather drops? They removed that from petting the cow. :|
      Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
      Might be joking in comments.
      -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
      Options
    • colossalvoids
      colossalvoids
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      I Would Not Play Anymore

Not really, I'm a massive tes fanboy on lore side of things, bit less on gameplay side (apart from Morrowind/ESO). ESO just doesn't deliver tes experience for me and stories aren't anything spectacular past Summerset but mmo side of things looking really good and it's a first one I was able to actually settle on for years now. Same for combat, it's a lot like an arpg rather than standard rpg we're always getting and that's something that works exceptionally good for this exact title for me. And seems like for a lot other folk.
      Options
    • vsrs_au
      vsrs_au
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      The game would be pretty pointless without combat. Almost all the other activities (scrying, crafting, fishing, farming, trading) are aimed at improving your character's combat abilities.
      PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
      Options