The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Update 38 Warden

ESO_Nightingale
ESO_Nightingale
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Hey everyone, I'm back for my quarterly post.

Changes
Warden

Scorch: Fixed an issue with this ability and its morphs where they could fail to hit larger monsters in some cases.

Arctic Blast:
The stun from this morph now fires after a 2 second delay, rather than immediately. Recasting the ability before the delay completes will reset the delay timer.
Fixed an issue where the stun ignored line of sight rules.

Seeing an Arctic Blast stun application timing nerf is both frustrating and confusing.

Can we please have a developer comment on why you guys felt the need to remove the instant stun on arctic blast we begged for for years? If you feel the skill is overperforming, it's arctic blast's healing you should address. As arctic blast does several things all to a powerful level, it's understandable that you would want to nerf it, however we do have an entire healing line and burst healing skills in living trellis and fungal growth. Why not improve one of these burst heals and take the healing off of arctic blast in order to make the stun instant again in addition to reducing it's cost. This is still a significant nerf as it requires an additional skill slot on your build in order to do what arctic blast did before while also seperating the stun from the heal in the same GCD.

Scorch may finally hit tideborn taleria now which is a godsend.

not really a much more to say for these patch notes, a lot of ZOS's time has been spent on Arcanist so i wasn't expecting too much, but it definitely would've been nice to also have seen a resource sustain buff or a Frozen Retreat rework which would be really nice now that Arcanist has Apocryphal Gate.
Edited by ESO_Nightingale on 19 April 2023 03:39
PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Lancer1602
    Lancer1602
    ✭✭✭

Changes
    Warden

Scorch: Fixed an issue with this ability and its morphs where they could fail to hit larger monsters in some cases.

Arctic Blast:
    The stun from this morph now fires after a 2 second delay, rather than immediately. Recasting the ability before the delay completes will reset the delay timer.

Seeing an Arctic Blast stun application timing nerf is a bit confusing, would've liked to see a note on this since this'll make using our main stun more annoying, but at least it's not like it's back to stunning after 3 or 5 seconds so it should still be usable.

not really a lot to say for these patch notes, a lot of ZOS's time has been spent on Arcanist so i wasn't expecting too much, but it definitely would've been nice to see a resource sustain buff or a Frozen Retreat rework which would be really nice now that Arcanist has Apocryphal Gate.

Thank you for trying. I am impressed with the amount of hope you have. I gave up - I feel like they just forgot about warden and think it`s a Healer - maybe a tank sometimes - but never a DPS character.
  • ItsNotLiving
    ItsNotLiving
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they’ll finally be happy with arctic blast after the 26638291910th change to it lol
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lancer1602 wrote: »

Changes
    Warden

Arctic Blast:

Seeing an Arctic Blast stun application timing nerf is a bit confusing, would've liked to see a note on this since this'll make using our main stun more annoying, but at least it's not like it's back to stunning after 3 or 5 seconds so it should still be usable.

not really a lot to say for these patch notes, a lot of ZOS's time has been spent on Arcanist so i wasn't expecting too much, but it definitely would've been nice to see a resource sustain buff or a Frozen Retreat rework which would be really nice now that Arcanist has Apocryphal Gate.

Thank you for trying. I am impressed with the amount of hope you have. I gave up - I feel like they just forgot about warden and think it`s a Healer - maybe a tank sometimes - but never a DPS character.

Well I think it needs to be tested first.

Yes, Wardens lost an on demand stun. It took a long, long time to get that to be added to the class after countless feedback.

However, they now have a guaranteed delayed stun you can setup burst with.

The problem with an on demand stun that doesn't have decent burst damage to it is giving the oponent free CC immunity. You need to rely on other sources like Scorch to do the work and it simply doesn't have enough damage anymore.

With the new change (in theory), you could do something like - Scorch (3s delay) - Arctic Blast (2s delay) - Spammable - Ultimate and now you have an ult, stun and scorch hitting at the same time where as before, it would only be Scorch.

If they were going to do this, they should of gave an on demand stun somewhere else.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Lancer1602
    Lancer1602
    ✭✭✭

Changes
    Warden

Arctic Blast:

Yes, Wardens lost an on demand stun. It took a long, long time to get that to be added to the class after countless feedback.

The problem with an on demand stun that doesn't have decent burst damage to it is giving the oponent free CC immunity. You need to rely on other sources like Scorch to do the work and it simply doesn't have enough damage anymore.

With the new change (in theory), you could do something like - Scorch (3s delay) - Arctic Blast (2s delay) - Spammable - Ultimate and now you have an ult, stun and scorch hitting at the same time where as before, it would only be Scorch.

If they were going to do this, they should of gave an on demand stun somewhere else.

In PVE - DPS wise it`s was a dead character since the u35 and it looks like it will stay that way.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Changes
    Warden

Arctic Blast:

In PVE - DPS wise it`s was a dead character since the u35 and it looks like it will stay that way.

sadly i agree, it's sustain is awful, the shalk's damage nerf still holds back the class and winter's revenge still requiring destro staff to deal reasonable damage is pretty bad. would also be nice if they buffed piercing cold's normal buff to 4%.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • SEINTDARKNES
    SEINTDARKNES
    ✭✭✭

Changes
    Warden

Arctic Blast:

Or you just could delay to use your stun on demand and use a spam ability, use sorch, and when scorch hits use your stun and ultimate plus finisher or spam,scorch,ult, stun and finisher( in case that you're not using Db)

This change made no sense only makes to burst ppl down more harder cause timings, and like you said we ask for a stun on demand for ages...
    Edited by SEINTDARKNES on 17 April 2023 18:41
  • Lancer1602
    Lancer1602
    ✭✭✭
    y2rn7j97x95g.png

At this point - Just give Arcanist minor toughness and Delete warden from the game.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    y2rn7j97x95g.png

At this point - Just give Arcanist minor toughness and Delete warden from the game.

to be honest, i don't think this will be used in serious groups when you have fetcher infection dealing damage and brittle just being applied in aoe.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Changes
    Warden

Arctic Blast:

Or you just could delay to use your stun on demand and use a spam ability, use sorch, and when scorch hits use your stun and ultimate plus finisher or spam,scorch,ult, stun and finisher( in case that you're not using Db)

This change made no sense only makes to burst ppl down more harder cause timings, and like you said we ask for a stun on demand for ages...

It definitely was a slap in the face to have the instant stun we begged for to be turned back into a delayed one. At least it's 2s instead of 3.
  • blistb16_ESO
    blistb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Nice, artic is dead again. Time to go back to polar wind and 40k+ HP
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to enjoy playing warden isn't it?
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • Brahma_Br
    Brahma_Br
    ✭✭
    It's not fair at all what the dev team are planning to do with the Warden.
    The nerf on Artic Blast is huge,
    since it is already very difficult to execute an intentional combo/burst with the damage and time/delay nerf shalks suffered. Now taking an immediate stun is sinking the class in pvp, and having to rely a lot on luck.
    It really puts me off to continue playing with my Magden.

Please review this proposal and leave the Artic Blast untouched.
    The neef on the frost wall that no longer immobilizing has already greatly affected the class in crowd control.

Taking advantage, and considering the hybridization trend, and considering that subterranean assalt (stamina shalk) is clearly meta in pve and the deep fissure (magicka morph) is clearly meta in pvp, I suggest return the magicka shalk's original damage and the 3sec delay only, with the cost reduction, as it was before.
    One could even put the cost of each one according to the main resource, as it will be with Arcanist.

Need to look for warden sustain as well. Skills are to mutch expensive. Specially frost reach, witch is not a class skills, but the only
    playable with magdens, that was forced to play with ice staff

Sorry for bad english, that not my
    main language.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    xDeusEJRx wrote: »
    It's hard to enjoy playing warden isn't it?

Without reworks to existing morphs and stuff it's hard for me to get excited to play because there's been no new universal skill line since 2018. I didn't want a new class although arcanist is interesting and has cool new tech. Warden was given absolutely nothing this patch. Like i guess scorch might finally hit taleria now but it should've done that a year ago, and they just undid the whole instant stun thing we begged for for years with no reason given. I've been burnt out on the game for a while now, enough to stop raiding or even doing regular dungeons. What's 1 more year? I only log in to chat to my friends now and occasionally dig up an antiquity or do 1 random boring quest where i kill everything in 5 miliseconds because zenimax refuses to help the difficulty problem in overland.

I'm tired. World of Warcraft has offered me so much better of a raiding experience and so it's captured my full attention.

I'll do my duty to my community but this chapter hasn't captured me at all. i won't give up on the game, but i just can't give it my full attention anymore. that can still change, but not right now.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on 18 April 2023 08:10
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brahma_Br wrote: »
    since it is already very difficult to execute an intentional combo/burst with the damage and time/delay nerf shalks suffered. Now taking an immediate stun is sinking the class in pvp, and having to rely a lot on luck.

The neef on the frost wall that no longer immobilizing has already greatly affected the class in crowd control.

Taking advantage, and considering the hybridization trend, and considering that subterranean assalt (stamina shalk) is clearly meta in pve and the deep fissure (magicka morph) is clearly meta in pvp, I suggest return the magicka shalk's original damage and the 3sec delay only, with the cost reduction, as it was before.
    One could even put the cost of each one according to the main resource, as it will be with Arcanist.

Need to look for warden sustain as well. Skills are to mutch expensive. Specially frost reach, witch is not a class skills, but the only

main language.

our sustain is a major problem. needing to run several stamina skills just to sustain even with ghastly eye bowl is incredibly frustrating.
  • ItsNotLiving
    ItsNotLiving
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think what needs to happen is the heal needs to be taken off of Arctic Blast completely and needs to stun, do damage, and have it’s cost slashed. Having a stun that burst heals I will admit is a little problematic but in its place mushrooms needs to have its cost reduced big time and it’s heal increased that would help magdens sustain in PvP with minor intellect too. Arctic Blast does way too much for one morph of one skill.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think what needs to happen is the heal needs to be taken off of Arctic Blast completely and needs to stun, do damage, and have it’s cost slashed. Having a stun that burst heals I will admit is a little problematic but in its place mushrooms needs to have its cost reduced big time and it’s heal increased that would help magdens sustain in PvP with minor intellect too. Arctic Blast does way too much for one morph of one skill.

i agree 100%. warden should be using either higher burst living trellis or higher single target burst mushrooms. NOT arctic blast as our main heal.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone i just updated the arctic blast section. Thanks.
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Changes
    Warden

Arctic Blast:

Dizzying swing🤣
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

main language.

our sustain is a major problem. needing to run several stamina skills just to sustain even with ghastly eye bowl is incredibly frustrating.

In PvP?
    So far I think my red guard stam warden has the best sustain out of all my characters.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

main language.

In PvP?
    So far I think my red guard stam warden has the best sustain out of all my characters.

Magden sustain is a major problem in both pvp and pve.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Changes
    Warden

Arctic Blast:

Dizzying swing🤣

are you suggesting we use dizzy swing?
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Changes
    Warden

Arctic Blast:

Dizzying swing🤣

That's actually what my warden is using currently.
    But everything else are mag skills like Deep fissure.
    Im impressed how well she sustains. The 10% mag skill cost reduction of armour of the seducer works well even with only 10 attribute points into mag.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Changes
    Warden

Arctic Blast:

Dizzying swing🤣

Im impressed how well she sustains. The 10% mag skill cost reduction of armour of the seducer works well even with only 10 attribute points into mag.

can't use dizzy swing on a frostden now can we? XD
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Changes
    Warden

Arctic Blast:

Dizzying swing🤣

It seems me that in alot of cases Hybridization is not only now possible but it's better than pure mag or stam.

It allows you to fill in the gaps that some classes have. Warden doesn't seem to have a good spammable.

I have a mageblade and a stamblade.
    Nightblade seems to have the skills to be pure mag or stam.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Changes
    Warden

Arctic Blast:

Dizzying swing🤣

It seems me that in alot of cases Hybridization is not only now possible but it's better than pure mag or stam.

It allows you to fill in the gaps that some classes have. Warden doesn't seem to have a good spammable.

frost wardens run frost staff front bar along with frost reach or frost clench. can't use dizzy unless i swap to back bar to stun which is awkward and doesn't work.
  • ItsNotLiving
    ItsNotLiving
    ✭✭✭✭

Changes
    Warden

Arctic Blast:

Dizzying swing🤣

Dizzy only stuns when they’re off balance and off balance has a cool down that’s longer than CC immunity making it unreliable as a main stun.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Changes
    Warden

Arctic Blast:

Dizzying swing🤣

Dizzy only stuns when they’re off balance and off balance has a cool down that’s longer than CC immunity making it unreliable as a main stun.

and if you back-bar it, that'll never happen.
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Changes
    Warden

Arctic Blast:

Dizzying swing🤣

Dawn Breaker of smiting stuns too.

Didn't even notice that about Dizzy. Usually i'm so up close with a horde of people it's hard to know who even stunned the enemy or if the enemy already has CC immunity, which RAT would certainly give them regardless.

I can't test the new Arctic blast since I'm on Console.
    But what's the point in using a staff(ranged) if you have to be in melee range to stun with Arctic blast? Might as well just use dual wield that has better passives.

Anybody try the new Arctic blast on PTS?
    Wouldn't it make sense to pre-emptively use Deep fissure, then Arctic blast, then when you get to the enemy the stun, deep fissure should hit at the same time? Then follow up with spammable/execute.
    I debated using DW with shrouded daggers/Whirling blades, but I'm already using that on my stamsorc and didn't want to do the same thing.
    Also 2/hander skills are significantly cheaper. Heck maybe you could use Bow if you wanted to stay ranged.

If I didn't have dark deal on sorc I think I would've needed a major stam sustain set.

I've always been such a resource hog that now being able to use both resources for attacks is a godsend.

• LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Changes
    Warden

Arctic Blast:

Dizzying swing🤣

and if you back-bar it, that'll never happen.

Unfortunately destruction staff passives need a buff.
  • ItsNotLiving
    ItsNotLiving
    ✭✭✭✭

Changes
    Warden

Arctic Blast:

Dizzying swing🤣

Dawn Breaker of smiting stuns too.

Didn't even notice that about Dizzy. Usually i'm so up close with a horde of people it's hard to know who even stunned the enemy or if the enemy already has CC immunity, which RAT would certainly give them regardless.

I can't test the new Arctic blast since I'm on Console.
    But what's the point in using a staff(ranged) if you have to be in melee range to stun with Arctic blast? Might as well just use dual wield that has better passives.

Anybody try the new Arctic blast on PTS?
    Wouldn't it make sense to pre-emptively use Deep fissure, then Arctic blast, then when you get to the enemy the stun, deep fissure should hit at the same time? Then follow up with spammable/execute.
    I debated using DW with shrouded daggers/Whirling blades, but I'm already using that on my stamsorc and didn't want to do the same thing.
    Also 2/hander skills are significantly cheaper. Heck maybe you could use Bow if you wanted to stay ranged.

If I didn't have dark deal on sorc I think I would've needed a major stam sustain set.

I've always been such a resource hog that now being able to use both resources for attacks is a godsend.

Warden gets 12% flat damage for holding an ice staff making it best in slot.