The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Class Change Tokens - Request Number 73,276

• Dragonlord573
    Dragonlord573
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nic727 wrote: »
    Kind support for this idea from the french forum! https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/fr/discussion/626231/le-jeton-de-changement-de-classe-il-va-bien-falloir-y-venir#latest
    I'm an rp oriented kind of gal. I want class change tokens not because I'm bored- but I want it because a certain class might fit the aesthetic more. Often people put a lot of time into certain toons and recreating them is simply not an option. I also don't want to make a random toon just to experience the new class.

Same here, it is so sad the game tell us just "DELETE YOUR CHARACTER and make it again from scratch, delete their memory, delete your personal investment in order to enjoy the new feature" :(
    We all have a story like this...

For me, at first I was quite surprised by the Arcanist concept announced, but as they explained the lore, I saw it fits so nicely the backstory of Celestras, an old sapiarch who is told to have lost his way somewhere between Artaeum and the realms of Oblivion while pursuing the path of Xarxes, the knowledge of Aurbis itself in order to deflect the ineluctable collapse of Summerset... his ideology and manifests led the triskelion Coalition (RP) faction and then, may or may not have led to the rise of the Ascendant Order.
    Celestras the Visionary, former Sapiarch of Ethics

latest?cb=20170116171457&path-prefix=fr
    Celestras the Lost

A mere rp NPC since 2014, I dedided to play him in game as the Psijics released in Summerset Chapter, I almost used Nightblade class but took Sorcerer as a default choice. Now the Arcanist displays all these hermetic books and triangles for casting spells... now ... such a shame to make me regret the full questline of the Psijic completed by level 20, the full farm of the Mages Guild story, the full upgrade of Archaeology, and so on and so on.

Pretty please, just ONE Reclass Token would be enough !! (maybe... maybe more... :D )

Same for me for RP. When the game launched, I created a Bosmer Templar because I love healing capability and nature. However, I feel like my character would fit better being a warden since I also prefer playing stamina. Stamden is better than stemplar.

I tried an alt, but just didn’t like it… I prefer to play one character.

In the same boat. My second character of three years is an Argonian vampire who turned to Hermaeus Mora to learn more of alchemy. At the time Sorcerer fit her best, but with Arcanist now coming it's an obvious choice.
    I've also had similar feelings with my main, who is my crafter and primary quester, has started to shift away from being a Nightblade in terms of what he does in his story. Previously he was a thief and smuggler, but slowly he's changed into an Argonian druid. A Warden fits him now but I absolutely refuse to delete the character with all my motif knowledge and my Tamriel Hero.

Meanwhile I'd gladly buy a couple class change tokens to make characters be in line with their stories now.
  • Dragonlord573
    Dragonlord573
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grimnaur wrote: »
    For everyone that is wanting to spend money on a class change token, why don’t you just buy the mount upgrades, the skyshards, and guilds leveled in the crown shop? I am personally against the class change token, but I know it’s been asked for on here and for games like WoW. I feel that if you only need one character, then once you do the zone completions once, then you’d never go back to it and the open world would be dead. At least with making different class characters, you are keeping the world population seem more alive. No new person is going to want to play a mmo without anyone around outside of town.

Because it would cost me over $150 whereas a class change token wouldn't.
  • Grimnaur
    Grimnaur
    ✭✭✭
    Tyrobag wrote: »
    For everyone that is wanting to spend money on a class change token, why don’t you just buy the mount upgrades, the skyshards, and guilds leveled in the crown shop? I am personally against the class change token, but I know it’s been asked for on here and for games like WoW. I feel that if you only need one character, then once you do the zone completions once, then you’d never go back to it and the open world would be dead. At least with making different class characters, you are keeping the world population seem more alive. No new person is going to want to play a mmo without anyone around outside of town.

Did you read any of the posts before you? For most people this has next to nothing to do with the skill lines. This is about not wanting to throw away a character that you've spent years questing on and building a backstory for. I wouldn't care if using the token resets the levels in my class lines entirely, as long as I get to play the class on my favorite character that, by the aforementioned backstory, should be an Arcanist. Other people are simply not willing to spread themselves out over multiple characters, which is perfectly valid.

I can only play one character at a time, how would having additional alts possibly make the population seem more alive?
    If you don't want it, don't buy one. Its that simple, you'll never be affected by it whatsoever.

Honestly, no, I didn’t read all the comments in this post. I was just commenting on things I’ve heard people say over and over. I see what you’re saying though about the rp part and people’s time limit for only one character. If they implemented something like the FFXIV way of classes it would probably be the best way to go instead of tokens. I don’t know how familiar you are with FFXIV, but you can play all classes/jobs on one character, but you had to level them all individually. In that way, you still have people leveling in old zones and the world seems full. If all anyone had to do was buy a token after leveling one character then everyone would be sitting in town waiting on queues and the old zones would be empty. Just having empty zones would be my concern with the tokens. I wouldn’t want to play an mmo that seemed empty in that sense. I know my suggestion would just be a more expensive way around a token for people that were just worried about mount, skill points type stuff. Which,I guess, would lead to the same outcome I’m worried about with the tokens.
    “Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka.” - J.B.
  • Grimnaur
    Grimnaur
    ✭✭✭

Because it would cost me over $150 whereas a class change token wouldn't.

Well, surely not $150, but how much do you think a token would cost? Isn’t a name change like 2500 crowns?
    “Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka.” - J.B.
  • Mr_Madness
    Mr_Madness
    ✭✭✭
    Malthorne wrote: »
    kargen27 wrote: »
    Class change tokens would be detrimental to the long term health of the game. We are getting character slots so you can enjoy the game and all its content all over again with a new class.

Why would it be detrimental to the health of the game?

Several reasons. The most obvious is that there would always be pressure to change to the FOTM class for any sort of competitive gameplay. To take it one step further, there would now be more incentive for ZOS to make even wilder swings in balance than they already do in an effort to sell class change tokens. It has the potential to get very much in the realm of pay 2 win. Class change is and always will be a bad idea. I am not saying it wouldn't be useful on the margins for casual players, but overall, I am very much against it.

If they were to add it, I would hope they would make it once per account with a very long cooldown (we are talking calendar, not stopwatch).

Eh, make it have a cool down of 6 months but you can use it multiple times on one account.

That way no Hardcore PVP cheats the system and gives enough time for said class to be buffed or nerfed.

What? You changed classes to be OP but it got nerfed and want to switch back? Oh well, gotta wait the cool down.
  • eyeseezombiesub17_ESO
    Personally, I hate the token process but I want the opportunity to switch classes. I think it could be much more immersive if ZOS wanted it. Alliance change? Sure, you have to tear through a dozen of your old alliance's 'best' warriors to show you really mean it or (Insert Random Challenge). Class change? Sure, just tear through a solo dungeon and beat the final boss so you can acquire (Insert Mystical Item) that allows you to switch.

I like the game, been playing since launch but I think it needs more immersion instead of these quick fix tokens and what not that are turning it into a month-long adventure which people drop when they're done and never pick back up. Putting in the time and earning something adds more value to the game overall than a quick fix. IMHO.
    Edited by eyeseezombiesub17_ESO on 28 January 2023 04:14
  • Dragonlord573
    Dragonlord573
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, surely not $150, but how much do you think a token would cost? Isn’t a name change like 2500 crowns?

It's 18,000 crowns to buy all guild lines and mount upgrades alone.
    The 14,000 crown pack is $99.99
    The 5,500 crown pack is $49.99

So yeah, you're right, it would cost me $149.98. Cost me even more to get all the skyshards back.
  • Dragonlord573
    Dragonlord573
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's 18,000 crowns to buy all guild lines and mount upgrades alone.
    The 14,000 crown pack is $99.99
    The 5,500 crown pack is $49.99

So yeah, you're right, it would cost me $149.98. Cost me even more to get all the skyshards back.

Oh yeah it gets better.

So I just did the math. If I restarted my main to recreate him into an Arcanist, and I were to buy all the skyshards, mount upgrades, bag space, and skill lines it would cost 74,650 crowns.

To get that many crowns I'd need to spend $600 on four 21,000 crown packs. And I also went further and added the motifs available in the store cause I'd have to regain all my motif knowledge and the cost was over $1,300.

So yes, I would rather pay for a single, potentially $50, token then restart and pay a month's wages to do it.
  • OnnuK
    OnnuK
    ✭✭✭
    It can be easily done by ZOS, it is a matter of database entry change. But the real question is will they do it? If they let people to change class easily (which I also want) they will loose the opportunity to force you grind levelling, mount stats, skyshards, mages guilds, etc... (which it will result loosing all crown store upgrade purchases). The more you grind the more crowded the game zones... In long term it is more profitble for them.

If ZOS want their customers to be happy yea they will release a class change token. Well you know what they will do xD...
    PC/EU @onnuk, Guild: ANADOLU "|H1:guild:29269|hAnadolu|h"
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If this ever happened, it should be a once per character.

Otherwise everyone will flip flop to the meta each patch and would be obnoxious in PvP specifically.
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The funny thing is this. People who have now decided they want to play Arcanist as their new main for aesthetics or other reasons are likely going to stop playing the game until the chapter launch. Why bother working on another character if you're just going to drop them for the new class in a few months?
    Far better to introduce a class change system, so that people who like to focus one character (returning or new players) can either make a new character now, or prepare their current mains for the new class.
    Too many people have well-established characters at this point to make a new class with no option to change class a worthy selling point for a new chapter.
    This is how people burn out and stop playing.

The ability to change class exists in FF14 (you know, one of if not THE most popular mmo on the market) and works pretty good, and unlike other mmos, your class has no bearing in quests and story in ESO, outside of a line or two of dialogue for necromancer in Elsweyr.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Class change tokens would be detrimental to the long term health of the game. We are getting character slots so you can enjoy the game and all its content all over again with a new class.

MMOs need three things to thrive. New content, players repeating content and players doing a variety of content.

Class tokens take away from players repeating content and doing a variety of content.

None of that is determined by the convenience that allows for players to swap their characters class. Ask Final Fantasy 14.

I play FFXIV also, there not classes your switching there called jobs. and it requires one the appropriate weapon and two if you unlocked the job a job stone. it is completely different

Moreover that game was designed to be played that way, ESO was not.

There's absolutely no necessity for anyone to change their class in order to play an arcanist. There will be new character slots and you can play through the whole content of the chapter as a new arcanist character without needing to ride fast or max your inventory etc. If you then decide to make that character your main it'll already have all your achievements and CPs, and if you subscribe you can use your Crowns from the subscription (or else buy them on sale) to get all your guild skill lines together with advancing some of the mount training etc.
  • rymere83
    rymere83
    Out of all the games and MMOs ive played not once has a class change system existed...well until Diablo Immortal but we dont talk about that 'game'
  • tohopka_eso
    tohopka_eso
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

MMOs need three things to thrive. New content, players repeating content and players doing a variety of content.

Class tokens take away from players repeating content and doing a variety of content.

None of that is determined by the convenience that allows for players to swap their characters class. Ask Final Fantasy 14.

I play FFXIV also, there not classes your switching there called jobs. and it requires one the appropriate weapon and two if you unlocked the job a job stone. it is completely different

Moreover that game was designed to be played that way, ESO was not.

There's absolutely no necessity for anyone to change their class in order to play an arcanist. There will be new character slots and you can play through the whole content of the chapter as a new arcanist character without needing to ride fast or max your inventory etc. If you then decide to make that character your main it'll already have all your achievements and CPs, and if you subscribe you can use your Crowns from the subscription (or else buy them on sale) to get all your guild skill lines together with advancing some of the mount training etc.

oh, I brought that up cause everyone thinks if they can do it everyone else should be able to implement it. I was pointing out that the weapons, armour and skills are all tied to each job in that game. I don't want that here, I like creating characters to match the class I'm making.

and not enough is looking into the budget constraints and what it would actually cost to do. It basically boils down to how much is your character worth and possibly triple that to how much it might cost for one to change if they decided to do one.

everyone here is thinking its only going to cost $50 or so. but when you look into the crown store and see how much they can charge for the separate stuff is not seeing the other side. basically how much money they would lose to a suppose token with the stuff already making it possible to add/skip stuff.

sorry for the rant, just tired of the back and forth on this. and ones for it not doing the math.
  • ForumBully
    ForumBully
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really wish I could "relax and enjoy the game and not rush to the end" as some have advised...it's great advice to a new player but I've been at the end for 5 years. All I have is rushing to the end of anything like a new class because I can't "enjoy the journey" for the 20th time.
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No one who has played this game since launch wants to redo the horrid vanilla zones for the 30th time, and to have to do all the guilds again. This choicei s detrimental, not a class change token , jfc.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you mean? Token added = people doing more content with their class changed character. No token added = people not playing as much since they aren't using the new class.

Not precisely true. Anyone who watched the reveal knows that the focus is on new players and players who joined recently. A class change token is useful to them, but not nearly as much as the established players. These new people do not have a boatload of time invested in the game, and creating a new Arcanist character does precisely what is mentioned above.

If ZOS were more interested in existing, established, players, they would have introduced a new cross-class skill line that players could pick up. This is less friendly to new players, as they would not be able to immediately use it.

The conclusion is that existing players not being able to change classes will not negatively impact whatever goals that ZOS has this year.

Edited by Elsonso on 28 January 2023 16:45
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because it will NOT be the same Character, that will not feel earned, nor true.
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is zero reason they can’t implement a class change token. Nothing you do ingame is class dependent.

Of all the predatory monetization this game has, a class change token is a highly requested item and would actually make them money in a non predatory way lol. Come on ZoS!
    Edited by Stx on 28 January 2023 21:44
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    There is zero reason they can’t implement a class change token. Nothing you do ingame is class dependent.

That is probably technically true, but they have said that it is not something that can be done easily, like the other change tokens.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because it will NOT be the same Character, that will not feel earned, nor true.

I can understand that standing an additional character at a dolmen for 50 levels and then topping up everything from the Crown Store just so that you can max it by lunchtime won't make that character feel earned or true, but spending time getting a character who's been played for several years with a particular class maxed through fully playing the game and then activating a Crown Store-bought token instantly to change the most important aspect of that character to a different class, will that make the new version of that character feel earned or true? Really? My hunch is that a lot of those who follow this path will end up fairly quickly dumping the new class and buying a second token to revert the character to its original class - which is one reason why I think it's a non-starter because all those currently suggesting it should be severely restricted in its use will hop up and down when they discover that they have to wait say a year to be able to change class again!
    Edited by Tandor on 28 January 2023 21:57
  • Arnoldthehawk
    Arnoldthehawk
    ✭✭✭
    As many other already told the trillion of reason why we would want a Class Change Token, here is one more:

Without Class Change Token this new DLC is basically a new map and a few new questline for us. The biggest feature is practically out of our interest.

This is a widely requested feature taht could potentially lure back a bunch of players. This would be a long term bonus, since playing a new class or just a different class would give each long term completionist players tons of replayability.

ZOS, please make it happen. Please. Once you told us Class Change would more likely to come than Alliance Change, and now, years later we already have Alliance Change, while you are silent on Class Change. Year by year i grow weary, hoping for it only to get let down.

And it would only make sense! With each DLC that brought skill line they were basically added to our character, free to put skill points on them. Why would be such a far fetched idea to introduce this last line of costumization feature, since we can change basically anything on us except our class at this point.
  • Arnoldthehawk
    Arnoldthehawk
    ✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    No class change token... just play the game! Enjoy the journey, instead of rushing to the end.

There are many reasons for why not, but these are already mentioned here. Add to that, I like to know that those who are on a class, spend the time to level it. Especially now with a new class coming out.

This just sound incosiderate. You play the way you want. Introducing Class Change to you would make no difference. Why are you so against it? Why do you want to tell a bunch of players how to play?

Especially since it is illogical. On my one and only character I did everything and anything the game can possibly offer. Why would I want to make a new character? My journey is already started and is going on on my one and only character. That is MY journey. You have no reason or right to tell me how to play.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As many other already told the trillion of reason why we would want a Class Change Token, here is one more:

Without Class Change Token this new DLC is basically a new map and a few new questline for us. The biggest feature is practically out of our interest.

This is a widely requested feature taht could potentially lure back a bunch of players. This would be a long term bonus, since playing a new class or just a different class would give each long term completionist players tons of replayability.

ZOS, please make it happen. Please. Once you told us Class Change would more likely to come than Alliance Change, and now, years later we already have Alliance Change, while you are silent on Class Change. Year by year i grow weary, hoping for it only to get let down.

And it would only make sense! With each DLC that brought skill line they were basically added to our character, free to put skill points on them. Why would be such a far fetched idea to introduce this last line of costumization feature, since we can change basically anything on us except our class at this point.

Source please.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

That is probably technically true, but they have said that it is not something that can be done easily, like the other change tokens.

Did they say why?
  • Arnoldthehawk
    Arnoldthehawk
    ✭✭✭

Several reasons. The most obvious is that there would always be pressure to change to the FOTM class for any sort of competitive gameplay. To take it one step further, there would now be more incentive for ZOS to make even wilder swings in balance than they already do in an effort to sell class change tokens. It has the potential to get very much in the realm of pay 2 win. Class change is and always will be a bad idea. I am not saying it wouldn't be useful on the margins for casual players, but overall, I am very much against it.

If they were to add it, I would hope they would make it once per account with a very long cooldown (we are talking calendar, not stopwatch).

For one, meta chasers already have multiple characters. They would most likely won't be interested in this option since it would *probably* be more costly than swtiching to an other one. Also, meta chasers a completely different type of players, not your typical completionists, but more competitive, and also, they are an extreme minority.

For second, Diablo Immortal has class change system, with only one restriction: 1 change per week. People constantly rotate their classes when burn out or just want something fresh. Other than that they also have several account wide features that would make class change obsolate on paper, yet people LOVE IT. Figure it out.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

Did they say why?

I would have to go back and look at a long ago deleted VOD from Slashlurk's stream to answer that.

• Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please please please tell me its finally time for a class change token. I already have a character that worships Hermaeus Mora, and is practically already an arcanist. I have years invested in the character, so remaking him isn't an option.

This has been asked for years now, anyone else think its finally time for zos to make this money making machine?

How will a token be a money making machine, when there is already a better money making machine fro zos via the new character slots/skyshards/skill lines/boosters in the store. The token would have to cost a lot more than all these combined to make sense financially.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think class change token is destructive to the game. Make people do the grind and level them normally, that way they will understand the entire new system from scratch.

The token people will have an unnatural advantage.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ApoAlaia wrote: »
    Sarannah wrote: »
    No class change token... just play the game! Enjoy the journey, instead of rushing to the end.

There are many reasons for why not, but these are already mentioned here. Add to that, I like to know that those who are on a class, spend the time to level it. Especially now with a new class coming out.

That would perhaps hold water if there wasn't a 'class change token' of sorts in the crown store.

They will happily sell you the skyshards/skill lines/horse training... even motifs and research scrolls if like myself you like your characters fully decked for daily writs.

The only catch is, as in 'real life', you better not be poor because is going to cost you pretty penny to skip the 6-8 month grind.

A more affordable version would be nice.

So a 10% discount and we would seem to have what you are requesting.