The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Class Change Tokens - Request Number 73,276

• ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    No class change token... just play the game! Enjoy the journey, instead of rushing to the end.

There are many reasons for why not, but these are already mentioned here. Add to that, I like to know that those who are on a class, spend the time to level it. Especially now with a new class coming out.

That would perhaps hold water if there wasn't a 'class change token' of sorts in the crown store.

They will happily sell you the skyshards/skill lines/horse training... even motifs and research scrolls if like myself you like your characters fully decked for daily writs.

The only catch is, as in 'real life', you better not be poor because is going to cost you pretty penny to skip the 6-8 month grind.

A more affordable version would be nice.
    Edited by ApoAlaia on 25 January 2023 22:37
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    Malthorne wrote: »
    Class change tokens would be detrimental to the long term health of the game. We are getting character slots so you can enjoy the game and all its content all over again with a new class.

Why would it be detrimental to the health of the game?

MMOs need three things to thrive. New content, players repeating content and players doing a variety of content.

Class tokens take away from players repeating content and doing a variety of content.

They took the "players repeating content" part away with adding account wide achievements. So they might just add a class change token at this point.

Yes they did to a degree. Why make it even worse with another bad change/addition?
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tyrobag wrote: »
    majulook wrote: »
    Well... no Class Change

\0lghusz5ta5w.png

That doesn't in any way imply that there wont be a class change token, you could already have deleted a character to open slots, that's not what a class change token is for,
    Class change tokens would be detrimental to the long term health of the game. We are getting character slots so you can enjoy the game and all its content all over again with a new class.

MMOs need three things to thrive. New content, players repeating content and players doing a variety of content.

Class tokens take away from players repeating content and doing a variety of content.

What do you mean? Token added = people doing more content with their class changed character. No token added = people not playing as much since they aren't using the new class.

Token added means player gets bored with their character soon or runs out of things to do in that character and moves on. We are getting slots so players can use the new class without impacting their existing characters.

I'm an rp oriented kind of gal. I want class change tokens not because I'm bored- but I want it because a certain class might fit the aesthetic more. Often people put a lot of time into certain toons and recreating them is simply not an option. I also don't want to make a random toon just to experience the new class.
    No class change token... just play the game! Enjoy the journey, instead of rushing to the end.

There are many reasons for why not, but these are already mentioned here. Add to that, I like to know that those who are on a class, spend the time to level it. Especially now with a new class coming out.

I did enjoy the game, and the hundreds of quests I've done, in each of which I've made the decisions that made my character who he is, so now I'd like to be able to make him the class he was born to be.
    alta4b3zligu.jpg
    - This has always been his theme.. I really need that token.
  • tohopka_eso
    tohopka_eso
    ✭✭✭✭

None of that is determined by the convenience that allows for players to swap their characters class. Ask Final Fantasy 14.

I play FFXIV also, there not classes your switching there called jobs. and it requires one the appropriate weapon and two if you unlocked the job a job stone. it is completely different

Jobs are classes, just like Free Companies are guilds. Different names but essentially the same thing.

Not in that game, like i said, you need the appropriate weapon/armour and job stone in order to change between jobs. If want to a be a samurai and currently whitemage, i have to switch between light armour and a staff to medium type armour and a sword. same with Ninja, same type of armour but dual wield. I cant be a whitemage that dual wields.
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Several reasons. The most obvious is that there would always be pressure to change to the FOTM class for any sort of competitive gameplay. To take it one step further, there would now be more incentive for ZOS to make even wilder swings in balance than they already do in an effort to sell class change tokens. It has the potential to get very much in the realm of pay 2 win. Class change is and always will be a bad idea. I am not saying it wouldn't be useful on the margins for casual players, but overall, I am very much against it.

If they were to add it, I would hope they would make it once per account with a very long cooldown (we are talking calendar, not stopwatch).

Much of your concern wouldn’t prove to be any different from how the game has been balanced over the last almost 8 years of the games life cycle. ZOS has used a sledgehammer to balance almost every other update since Morrowind.

People who chase FOTM already do that. The pressure is already there. They already purchase all the sky shards, the skill trees, and the riding lessons. Or they grind their eyeballs out and risk burnout. But I know you already know that. I’ve certainly seen it happen to friends, guild mates, and even myself over the years.
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casul wrote: »

Fine, at least let us buy horse upgrades all at once. I would rather just drop 45k gold instantly. Why do I have to wait 180 days.

Or make the horse upgrades account wide instead of having to level them up on each individual character

This would be the goal, but I think crown store would kill it.
    PvP needs more love.
  • Dragonlord573
    Dragonlord573
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't enjoy the journey when 1-50 is a boring slog and all the content I want to do is locked behind CP.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think they'd get more mileage out of not using tokens, but rather an at-will class swap system.
  • Sealish
    Sealish
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    I think they'd get more mileage out of not using tokens, but rather an at-will class swap system.

Well... yes... that would be the best option for players by far. Rolling it into the existing build, respec, armory system.

But it is far more likely to happen at all if we can convince ZOS just how immensely profitable a class change token would be. It would not only make everyone who wants to use it spend $20-$30 (since that's the likely price for such a thing) but would ALSO bring back a bunch of old players who would sub and buy the new chapter.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ranthuk wrote: »
    This exactly, the new class is pointless without the token

I'm quite sure they can be bought for hard currency in the crown store. Isn't that the point?
  • Sealish
    Sealish
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ranthuk wrote: »
    This exactly, the new class is pointless without the token

I'm quite sure they can be bought for hard currency in the crown store. Isn't that the point?

Nope, you can't buy class change tokens in the crown store. That is what we are all asking for.
  • JMadFour
    JMadFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah without Class Change tokens, if I intend to play the Arcanist class, I’m not sure how much of a point there is for me to return now rather than just waiting until June.

That’s 6 months of potential money ZOS is leaving on the table, though I suppose my meager funds don’t mean much in the long run.
  • Sealish
    Sealish
    ✭✭✭✭
    JMadFour wrote: »
    Yeah without Class Change tokens, if I intend to play the Arcanist class, I’m not sure how much of a point there is for me to return now rather than just waiting until June.

That’s 6 months of potential money ZOS is leaving on the table, though I suppose my meager funds don’t mean much in the long run.

They matter... because it isn't JUST your funds. It's yours, mine, and potentially thousands of other people.

Thousands of people who would pre-buy and sub TODAY if class change tokens were released. Potentially millions of dollars that ZOS would get immediately and every month until at least the end of July but more likely for at least a year.
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I can't play the new class because my mind will force me to replay all the old boring quests from 2014 all over again at my own pace :'( . Can we bury this dead horse already? B)
    Edited by dinokstrunz on 26 January 2023 00:26
  • Sealish
    Sealish
    ✭✭✭✭
    "I can't play the new class because my mind will force me to replay all the old boring quests from 2014 all over again at my own pace :'( . Can we bury this dead horse already? B)

It is more along the lines of "I won't play the new class even though it looks fun because I don't want to play all the quests I have already played over again."

I CAN play it, but no matter how fun the actual class is to play, the process of re-doing static story content isn't fun to me. Given that I get my fun in the game from being a part of the game world and interacting with the narratives within it, if you take that away then there is no reason to play the game at all. And I am not the only player who sees it like this. There are a lot of us. And the solution to the problem is so easy and would be so profitable that it is mind boggling that it doesn't already exist.

That's why we keep whipping this dead horse; because it is important to us, wouldn't hurt the people that don't care about it, and would make the game better for everyone by increasing overall game revenue.
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sealish wrote: »

It is more along the lines of "I won't play the new class even though it looks fun because I don't want to play all the quests I have already played over again."

I CAN play it, but no matter how fun the actual class is to play, the process of re-doing static story content isn't fun to me. Given that I get my fun in the game from being a part of the game world and interacting with the narratives within it, if you take that away then there is no reason to play the game at all. And I am not the only player who sees it like this. There are a lot of us. And the solution to the problem is so easy and would be so profitable that it is mind boggling that it doesn't already exist.

That's why we keep whipping this dead horse; because it is important to us, wouldn't hurt the people that don't care about it, and would make the game better for everyone by increasing overall game revenue.

You know you don't have to do those quests right? There's other ways to play ESO like doing dungeons, master writs, grinding and PvP. Hell maybe this new feature in the Q4 update might provide another fun new venture into earning experience for new characters. As much as it can be annoying for some people to see, we already have solutions to reduce the amount of time and pain in building up new characters. I can understand why people some people want this but to me (and possibly to Zenimax) there's just no point in to doing it so.
  • ClevaTreva
    ClevaTreva
    ✭✭✭
    Here's my take.

I either:

a) Pay ZoS £10 (or so) for a Class Change Token and continue my favourite character's adventure (with probably many more trips to the Crown Store).

or

b) I don't return to the game at all and ZoS get £0.
  • cmetzger93
    cmetzger93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ClevaTreva wrote: »
    Here's my take.

I either:

a) Pay ZoS £10 (or so) for a Class Change Token and continue my favourite character's adventure (with probably many more trips to the Crown Store).

or

My thoughts exactly but they do not care unfortunately
  • JMadFour
    JMadFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ClevaTreva wrote: »
    Here's my take.

I either:

or

Sounds very reasonable to me.

I mean, this is almost where I am at, at this point.
  • Sealish
    Sealish
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sealish wrote: »

You know you don't have to do those quests right? There's other ways to play ESO like doing dungeons, master writs, grinding and PvP. Hell maybe this new feature in the Q4 update might provide another fun new venture into earning experience for new characters. As much as it can be annoying for some people to see, we already have solutions to reduce the amount of time and pain in building up new characters. I can understand why people some people want this but to me (and possibly to Zenimax) there's just no point in to doing it so.

And for some people, that's fine. Nothing wrong with playing ESO as either a competitive or cooperative group combat simulator where you are trying to be the best (dungeons, trials, pvp). Or just using the character as a lump of stats to engage with arbitrary content (grinding, writs, etc.). Nothing wrong with that at all. That's how I generally play games without a narrative focus.

But that isn't how I play this game. For me, ESO is a narrative RPG first. One that is massively multiplayer. So the fact that the world state I am playing in reflects the things I have done in the world is important to me. If I run through an old zone, the people in it react differently now than when I first logged in since I helped them out in some way. I spent a decade slowly changing the world and making it better bit by bit, and when I log in that is reflected.

If I start a new character? That all goes away. It doesn't matter that I can very easily get to 50 and do all the same stuff mechanically with the same gear I already have and can still craft with my old character. That new character starts with a game world in a fresh state and I just don't have the time or patience to do everything all over again.

So yes, I do DO those other things when I play... but I do it all in the backdrop of a world that I am involved in. Those activities are part of the narrative.

There may be no reason for this feature to you, and that's ok. You don't play the game the same way that I do or for the same reasons. But lots of other people also play it the same way I do. And ZOS is alienating the people that are the most invested in their characters and the story that those characters make for themselves in the world. For all that they talk about wanting to provide an engaging narrative and enthralling world... they continually ignore the desires of the people that invest the most into that part of the experience. Class change tokens is one of those things.
  • JMadFour
    JMadFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I will log in, open my amazon prime crates, and then log out and delete ESO from my Xbox until June to make some more room for other games.

Likely re-install in June right before the expansion launches so I can play the new class.

If a class change token system of any kind is announced between now and then, maybe I re-install early and log back in to start a new character with the intent of changing him to Arcanist when the expansion hits. maybe not.
    Edited by JMadFour on 26 January 2023 02:39
  • Nic727
    Nic727
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea what’s the reason ZOS why it’s not already in the game. We can already reset our skills point or change appearance/race. It could be super simple to do and would bring a lot of people back into the game who left because they hated their character, but didn’t want to restart everything from scratch.
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind support for this idea from the french forum! https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/fr/discussion/626231/le-jeton-de-changement-de-classe-il-va-bien-falloir-y-venir#latest
    I'm an rp oriented kind of gal. I want class change tokens not because I'm bored- but I want it because a certain class might fit the aesthetic more. Often people put a lot of time into certain toons and recreating them is simply not an option. I also don't want to make a random toon just to experience the new class.

Same here, it is so sad the game tell us just "DELETE YOUR CHARACTER and make it again from scratch, delete their memory, delete your personal investment in order to enjoy the new feature" :(
    We all have a story like this...

For me, at first I was quite surprised by the Arcanist concept announced, but as they explained the lore, I saw it fits so nicely the backstory of Celestras, an old sapiarch who is told to have lost his way somewhere between Artaeum and the realms of Oblivion while pursuing the path of Xarxes, the knowledge of Aurbis itself in order to deflect the ineluctable collapse of Summerset... his ideology and manifests led the triskelion Coalition (RP) faction and then, may or may not have led to the rise of the Ascendant Order.
    Celestras the Visionary, former Sapiarch of Ethics

latest?cb=20170116171457&path-prefix=fr
    Celestras the Lost

A mere rp NPC since 2014, I dedided to play him in game as the Psijics released in Summerset Chapter, I almost used Nightblade class but took Sorcerer as a default choice. Now the Arcanist displays all these hermetic books and triangles for casting spells... now ... such a shame to make me regret the full questline of the Psijic completed by level 20, the full farm of the Mages Guild story, the full upgrade of Archaeology, and so on and so on.

Pretty please, just ONE Reclass Token would be enough !! (maybe... maybe more... :D )
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casul wrote: »

Fine, at least let us buy horse upgrades all at once. I would rather just drop 45k gold instantly. Why do I have to wait 180 days.

You can already buy mount upgrades all at once, for 18,000 crowns.
  • Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭

I started testing this game about 10 years ago and have played since. I’ve had 2 kids since this game came out lol. We don’t all have time to invest in new characters and we don’t all find that grind fun. I can’t see how class change tokens damage the game long term. Players flipping to chase meta isn’t relevant to the majority of the player base. As an MMO ages and the player population drops you focus on quality of life for for the loyal fanbase (which also happens to be the same people spending in the cash shop).
    I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
  • Nic727
    Nic727
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kind support for this idea from the french forum! https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/fr/discussion/626231/le-jeton-de-changement-de-classe-il-va-bien-falloir-y-venir#latest

Same here, it is so sad the game tell us just "DELETE YOUR CHARACTER and make it again from scratch, delete their memory, delete your personal investment in order to enjoy the new feature" :(
    We all have a story like this...

For me, at first I was quite surprised by the Arcanist concept announced, but as they explained the lore, I saw it fits so nicely the backstory of Celestras, an old sapiarch who is told to have lost his way somewhere between Artaeum and the realms of Oblivion while pursuing the path of Xarxes, the knowledge of Aurbis itself in order to deflect the ineluctable collapse of Summerset... his ideology and manifests led the triskelion Coalition (RP) faction and then, may or may not have led to the rise of the Ascendant Order.
    Celestras the Visionary, former Sapiarch of Ethics

latest?cb=20170116171457&path-prefix=fr
    Celestras the Lost

A mere rp NPC since 2014, I dedided to play him in game as the Psijics released in Summerset Chapter, I almost used Nightblade class but took Sorcerer as a default choice. Now the Arcanist displays all these hermetic books and triangles for casting spells... now ... such a shame to make me regret the full questline of the Psijic completed by level 20, the full farm of the Mages Guild story, the full upgrade of Archaeology, and so on and so on.

Pretty please, just ONE Reclass Token would be enough !! (maybe... maybe more... :D )

Same for me for RP. When the game launched, I created a Bosmer Templar because I love healing capability and nature. However, I feel like my character would fit better being a warden since I also prefer playing stamina. Stamden is better than stemplar.

I tried an alt, but just didn’t like it… I prefer to play one character.
    Edited by Nic727 on 28 January 2023 01:59
  • JMadFour
    JMadFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s amazing how many people in this forum are so vehemently against nearly any change or addition that is optional but might improve a player’s QOL in this game.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe Hermaeus Mora can offer the chance to learn multiple classes. That could be fun.

A new system from that. You can swap classes to dual class, but you only keep the passives and attribute bonuses from your primary class. Makes your secondary class skills much weaker than your primary.
  • Grimnaur
    Grimnaur
    ✭✭✭
    For everyone that is wanting to spend money on a class change token, why don’t you just buy the mount upgrades, the skyshards, and guilds leveled in the crown shop? I am personally against the class change token, but I know it’s been asked for on here and for games like WoW. I feel that if you only need one character, then once you do the zone completions once, then you’d never go back to it and the open world would be dead. At least with making different class characters, you are keeping the world population seem more alive. No new person is going to want to play a mmo without anyone around outside of town.
    “Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka.” - J.B.
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Grimnaur wrote: »
    For everyone that is wanting to spend money on a class change token, why don’t you just buy the mount upgrades, the skyshards, and guilds leveled in the crown shop? I am personally against the class change token, but I know it’s been asked for on here and for games like WoW. I feel that if you only need one character, then once you do the zone completions once, then you’d never go back to it and the open world would be dead. At least with making different class characters, you are keeping the world population seem more alive. No new person is going to want to play a mmo without anyone around outside of town.

Did you read any of the posts before you? For most people this has next to nothing to do with the skill lines. This is about not wanting to throw away a character that you've spent years questing on and building a backstory for. I wouldn't care if using the token resets the levels in my class lines entirely, as long as I get to play the class on my favorite character that, by the aforementioned backstory, should be an Arcanist. Other people are simply not willing to spread themselves out over multiple characters, which is perfectly valid.

I can only play one character at a time, how would having additional alts possibly make the population seem more alive?
    If you don't want it, don't buy one. Its that simple, you'll never be affected by it whatsoever.
    Edited by Tyrobag on 28 January 2023 03:08