The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

ESO Developer Deep Dive - Core Combat Values

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybridization has been so big for ZOS that they'll never roll it back, I don't think. But I sure hope they take many initiatives in the future to diversify builds and playstyles. Between different Classes but markedly also within Classes themselves.

I think they tried that with the new class sets. But the sets themselves are so weak and so niche... I don't know of anyone who actually uses them, personally. And the best of the lot belongs to the (arguably) most overperforming class, so they certainly weren't designed to balance the classes.

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • autocookies
    autocookies
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
    Edited by autocookies on 13 March 2024 15:15
  • yadibroz
    yadibroz
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they fix warden
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you say “Class selection does not constrain or define role.” Does this mean as as tank, DPS and healer?

If so this isn’t enough, classes absolutely are constrained because there simply aren’t enough alternative skill options that exist outside of classes. Split up the destro staves and add some new world skill lines. We have enough classes.
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like main post didn't aged well.
  • Duke_Falcon
    Duke_Falcon
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler

Hey, I was browsing the forums and read your post. I really enjoyed it, and like the direction the game is going. I decided to toss in a comment to help with that direction in regards to one skill in the game. I copied and pasted down below part of the initial post you made.

"Active Combat

We believe combat is more engaging when you are on the move and continuously taking action. Battles should be exhilarating, with threats and opportunities coming fast and you feeling empowered to respond in kind. In any given moment you should have options for reacting to your opponents and shouldn't be held back by long waits between actions. This requires controls to be responsive and consistent so you feel connected to your character and in control of the outcomes of your battles.

Block, Roll Dodge, and Bash/Interrupt are not constrained by the global cooldown
    No ability cooldowns and a short global cooldown
    Most abilities are instant, with cast times being the exception
    Weapon swapping"

Scorer's Dark Deal/Conversion skill cancels its self out when ever you Block, Roll Dodge, Bash, Sprint, or Weapon Swap. I often find myself pausing combat entirely just to hit the skill, which seems to be against the kind of fast paced action you want to build into the game.

I suspect the cast time was added to it to prevent block tanks from abusing the skill because it has an incredible amount of resource return, which Sorc desperately needs because its skill costs are insanely high. The massive resource return is needed just to use the class skills.

To help achieve the goals of fast paced combat perhaps the one time instant burst sustain could be distributed over 20 or 30 seconds without a cast time being placed on the skill, so that Sorc could then use the base game actions of Block, Dodge Roll, Sprint, and Weapon Swapping to help achieve the goals of continuous action while using the skill.
  • moderatelyfatman
    moderatelyfatman
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler

Scorer's Dark Deal/Conversion skill cancels its self out when ever you Block, Roll Dodge, Bash, Sprint, or Weapon Swap. I often find myself pausing combat entirely just to hit the skill, which seems to be against the kind of fast paced action you want to build into the game.

I suspect the cast time was added to it to prevent block tanks from abusing the skill because it has an incredible amount of resource return, which Sorc desperately needs because its skill costs are insanely high. The massive resource return is needed just to use the class skills.

To help achieve the goals of fast paced combat perhaps the one time instant burst sustain could be distributed over 20 or 30 seconds without a cast time being placed on the skill, so that Sorc could then use the base game actions of Block, Dodge Roll, Sprint, and Weapon Swapping to help achieve the goals of continuous action while using the skill.

I was told that Dark Deal originally didn't have a channel but it was brought in because people were spamming it in PvP and becoming unkillable.
    A good solution would be similar to Streak where the cost increases by 33% when cast within 4s of the previous casting. This would make the skill viable for Sorc Tanking in PvE while preventing abuse in PvP.
    If they also allowed the Minor Sorcery/Brutality to be an AOE that affects the party, DK will now have a serious contender in PvE tanking.
    Edited by moderatelyfatman on 29 February 2024 16:36
  • Duke_Falcon
    Duke_Falcon
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler

I was told that Dark Deal originally didn't have a channel but it was brought in because people were spamming it in PvP and becoming unkillable.
    A good solution would be similar to Streak where the cost increases by 33% when cast within 4s of the previous casting. This would make the skill viable for Sorc Tanking in PvE while preventing abuse in PvP.
    If they also allowed the Minor Sorcery/Brutality to be an AOE that affects the party, DK will now have a serious contender in PvE tanking.

They were just spamming it because you could block cast it. So they made it so you had to block drop to use it, because people were spamming it to keep their Stamina up so the could infinitely block. I think a better solution would be to make the resource return be over time instead of instant, it fixes that problem without having to have the cast time.
  • Sabre
    Sabre
    ✭✭
    Contrary to some of the comments here, animation cancelling while getting the effect/dmg of the animation should absolutely be eliminated. If the animation of a skill is 'cancelled' by using block or light attack, then the damage for that skill should also not occur because, in essence, the skill was cancelled. No animation, no effect. One should be able to cancel with block, but not get the skill benefit. Furthermore, the defender should be able to see the attack whether it be an instant ability, channel, or light/heavy attack, so that the defender can then use a counter core ability or wpn/class ability to counter the attack. Animation cancelling negates the defender being able to know that they are being attacked, in some cases multiple times, by abilities upon which they cannot react, or even see or know are happening. Even a light attack has a brief 'animation' that should have to complete so that one can react to it. The ANIMATION is the notification to the defender that an enemy is attacking or casting/channeling etc.

As for the 'hybridization' of things' - Everything from class sets, to ability passives, racial passives, abilities themselves, etc need reworked because they are based upon a STAM vs MAG build theory. Simply changing everything to Wpn & Spell damage, vs. having only one or the other is not enough of a change. The Arcanist abilities that simply follow the highest of either ability is ridiculously simple and while it is an attempt at innovation, it simply reinforces the failure of this simplified system. You could probably just throw away many of the sets because, with the dumbed down system they are replicas of the same thing. Plus, now you can stack magicka and stamina sets like Hundings Rage and Law of Julianos, because they are now weapon&spell damage. One could look at all the different sets other hybridization examples that basically negate the need for some sets now.

Hybridization was a mistake. The game is being dumbed down to elementary arcade game levels. Why haven't they made a class that focuses on stamina/warrior rather than magicka? Who knows. The class system is flawed at its core, and with so much content, probably can't be reworked and fixed. How about some other kind of class that can cloak like the nightblade?

Bring back Max Stam buffing wpn dmg and penetration, and do the same for magicka. This creates diversity of builds. One might think that the whole system could be reworked to have schools of magic, a martial combat skill tree (with weapon specialization at the top). The fact that class skills were split between a stamina version and a magicka version is disappointing (to use a milder term than was considered). This is a cheap way to make two skills out of the same animation...but it creates where a weapon/stam/non magic user (supposedly) can cast a spell with the same animation and it just costs stamina. NOW...one can buff their weapon damage and still cast all the magicka abilities. Dumbed down even more. A templar can use a 2h sword, get the dmg buff, and use all of the heals and spells of the templar...like honor the dead. no need for a stam heal ability or potions. Everything is basically dumbed down to animation differences, not actual differences. All the classes are the same, they just go about it in different ways. All the abilities were normalized, and now there is nothing new...a dps tree, a tank tree, and a heal tree...<yawn> .

Many skills now are dependent upon 'max health' for the shield buff, or the damage of the ability...but nothing is dependent upon max stamina or max magicka? Only max health for assorted skills? combine that with weapon and spell damage are no longer separate...and a sword or bow also increases spell damage...now all that matter is not max stat, but only stacking dmg, crit, and pen...it is simplified and unified to basically get rid of another one of the variables one would use for a build. The max stat dynamic tempered the stacking of health and damages because abilities would lack power if they did not have some max stat to go with it. The lack of need for max stats further dumbs things down, negates the benefits of bothering to use sets that increase stats. Now it is stack health, stack damage, and get regeneration for sustain.

The only class semi differnt than all others is the nightblade and the sorc with its pets. Why doesn't the Necro have slottable pet undead? WTH! When one thinks necro..one thinks risen undead followers...not magic missile skulls (a skin for the same ability used over and over in different ways). One imagines having skeletons, spirits, zombies, maybe some powerful undead lord ultimate. Perhaps...the follower system could be reworked into the companion ally system and allow more than one of the followers. This is a digression...but it boils down to hybridization and normalization of everything...where the skills are just skin animations of the same thing rather than being truly unique and engaging. Yes, they vary ini terms of passive effects, duration, damage type...but in the end, it is the same thing over and over.

The lack of character custom skills like strength, agility, intelligence, etc. make the skill system even more dumbed down. Were there more complexity, there might be more variables to play with...but as it is, there isn't anything new to do. Arcanist was a nice try...but one needs to cast noodle abilities to get crux to have any meaningful effect..it is simply inefficient, although interesting (the necrom map and content is very good!)
    It seems appropriate to say that the Arcanist beam spell is truly innovative, because it does not follow the target like arrows and other spells. This is how bow attacks and other attacks should be, rather than curving and following the target. This is a huge innovation to combat and aiming, etc.
    Magicka/stamina skill morphs were ridiculously simple and...disappointing to begin with...hybridization only further reveals the terribly flawed class system and now stamina/weapon users are magicians too - it is quite frankly ridiculous and elementary arcade game-like.
    Edited by Sabre on 26 March 2024 09:45
  • Artem_gig
    Artem_gig
    ✭✭
    Please allow players using the bow to choose in the gameplay settings exactly how the heavy attack will be used. In this regard, whether to immediately release the arrow as soon as the heavy attack is charged, or still when the player himself releases the button, in order for the shot to occur.
  • ViggyBoi
    ViggyBoi
    Would it be possible to extend the duration of either Carnage or the major berserk buff tied to Hircine's rage so that they aren't so short and overlap each other so often on a werewolf rotation? Even by a couple of seconds?