The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Rewards of the Worthy Must Go

Agrippa_Invisus
Agrippa_Invisus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Long ago I posted a thread that had a great deal of life regarding the Rewards of the Worthy system.

This system now, as then, needs to be abolished in its current form. It needs to either be reworked or replaced entirely. Currently it is more of a hassle to the players than a reward and the sets of gear being distributed by it are suboptimal and poorly designed for most modern PVP builds. I am going to go through each of the overall problems with Rewards of the Worthy (RotW from this point forward) and what I propose as the best solution.

Let's start from the top:

1) Rewards of the Worthy cause database bloat for the game. Numerous emails sit for weeks before they're disposed of by the PVP players, often waiting until they're just about to expire. This is due to the colossal chore of getting rid of them out of the mail archive of each player. I, myself, have spent over an hour clearing mails before. I know other players who've spent even longer. These RotW loot boxes that are mailed out don't present the player with something they're anticipating, but a piece from a set that they almost certainly don't want and can't use, so these mails sit and rot, eating up database storage space.

2) RotW boxes provide out of date, unwanted gear. The rewards for PVP just aren't particularly interesting, usable, or good. This leads players to be less likely to PVP for the rewards. The gear provided from Battlegrounds rewards is more likely to be a useful set than anything from Cyrodiil's RotW system. I have not equipped for use any of the current sets in the RotW rotation. It was better when the sets that are currently sold by the Town Vendors were available through RotW, but the current selection of sets are truly awful and poorly thought out. Lack of decent rewards leads to a lower PVP player base.

3) Limited edition event boxes show a better alternative, leading to disappointment later. Pelinal's boxes, while still not great in format (being mailed to us, which is just not a great way to deliver these) illustrate to the players that far better, obviously more thought out alternatives are available to Zenimax to send to us as rewards. Maybe they don't have any gear sets in them, but Coldfire siege, camps, alchemy mats, Telvar stones, and motifs are far more fun and diverse rewards than the current RotW boxes which are just a piece of gear, maybe a soul stone, and maybe a transmute stone geode. The "fun" factor of opening the Pelinal's boxes is far higher.

I feel these are pretty strong points that point to the RotW being incredibly outdated, boring, and in needing of revision.

What do I suggest as a replacement?

Give us a PVP token for every RotW box we would have earned. A token, 210 gold pieces as per original mails, maybe a geode, maybe a keep recall stone. Create a new vendor near the Golden that accepts these tokens and fill the vendor with special goodies -- Bags of crafting materials like from the conquest daily mission, Coldfire Siege, Camps, Telvar bags, Motifs, and house furniture. Maybe even pets or costumes with unique color choices on them. Maybe even a mount that's super expensive, but is something we can work towards.
You can even add endeavors to earn X or Y amount of these new PVP tokens in a day or a week.

Give players a reason to want to PVP. Take out the database bloat, the hassle, and the unfun nature of the RotW boxes.

Thank you,
Agrippa Invisus / Indominus / Inprimis / Inviolatus
DragonKnight / Templar / Warden / Sorcerer - Vagabond
Once a General, now a Citizen
Former Emperor of Bloodthorn and Vivec
For Sweetrolls! FOR FIMIAN!
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hours? It takes like 30 seconds to clear mail at the end of a play session.
  • CSose
    CSose
    ✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

The problem really isn't the time to open all the boxes, it's that what's in them is worthless.

A vendor that would let the PvP players buy useful items like crafting materials, coldfire or anything that sells in guild stores is a really good idea that I'm sure pretty much every primarily PvP player would agree with.

This is a great suggestion OP.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CSose wrote: »

The problem really isn't the time to open all the boxes, it's that what's in them is worthless.

A vendor that would let the PvP players buy useful items like crafting materials, coldfire or anything that sells in guild stores is a really good idea that I'm sure pretty much every primarily PvP player would agree with.

This is a great suggestion OP.

I don't necessarily disagree that the rewards should be updated. In fact, I think just moving the Pelinal Box rewards over would be a great move. But if it is taking hours to open them as the OP suggests, that sounds like user issues more than design issues.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, at the very least consolidate them. I would take less total rewards, if they came every 100 or 200k AP.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just open them, grab the transmutes, vendor and decon the rest, free gold/mats
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id like to add one little thing to your suggestion: Make the RotW token actually be a currency. Dont have it sit in your inventory or bank taking up space, tuck it into the currency menu with Gold, AP, Tel var, ect.
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of how long it takes people to clear their inbox and resulting inventory bloat, the rewards are not too fun.

Decon and vendoring them is an indication of that. Part of that "not fun" is based on not needing or wanting a particular one of the sets offered. That is somewhat relative, as those who don't play as often and want one of those pieces for use or for adding to their collection of item sets.

Improving those sets and adding more variety to reward boxes is a good start. Making the boxes more valuable and giving them less often is also an option. A new currency and vendor could work but involves more development resources. Good conversation to have.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice idea. Let's do it. Just cleaned my inventory out last night and I'm already up to 63 mails again. I don't have a lot of space on my characters, so I have to open a few, vendor all the crap, open more mail, vendor the crap, and so on. It's a chore to say the least, when it's supposed to be a "reward".
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why ZOS haven't changed the sets we get.

Firstly, why can't it be any Cyro set?

But if not can we update the current ones please? It must have been almost two years with the same three sets now surely. It stink of laziness to be honest.
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All they need to do is update the gear rewards annually (preferably with stuff that's actually competitive in PvP) and add some sort of grindy token system for accessing old sets (or just sell random crates of old set pieces for AP).
    Edited by the1andonlyskwex on 27 June 2021 15:46
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All they need to do is update the gear rewards annually (preferably with stuff that's actually competitive in PvP) and add some sort of grindy token system for accessing old sets (or just sell random crates of old set pieces for AP).

nice
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wish you got a guaranteed geode from every RotW rather than just on the first and a slim chance on the rest.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish you got a guaranteed geode from every RotW rather than just on the first and a slim chance on the rest.

Right. It's not a Skinner's box anymore, it has to be MYM to get any excitement over what's in random RotW mail. Consolidate 10:1 and give a guaranteed 10 geode every time. Instead of 10 RotW mail you would get one with a 10 Geode and a random chance at Gladiator's Proof or Lancer lead. Instead of 10 mails with 200 gold, One mail with 2000 gold.

If generation of rewards is any tax on the server at all, I'd agree with OP - a token system for simplicity and let the RnG take place back at the base with a vendor on the players terms.

Imagine how this could stimulate interest in PvP. What if new players get positive responses from vet players about what they get for rewards instead of an eye roll?
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • JayKwellen
    JayKwellen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything. Please.

I get a few hundred thousand worth of those useless boxes every [snip] night. I see them and don't think "I wonder what I got!" [snip] Instead I only think "great, now I have to clear all this trash out of my mail".

In their current form they're not a 'reward', they're a punishment.

[snipped for language]
    Edited by JayKwellen on 29 June 2021 23:00
    Xbox NA - JaeKwellen
    AD PvP
    Trying to main a magcro. This is awful.
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I spend at least 5 minutes every day destroying Rewards of the Worthy. 15 minutes if I would actually open and deconstruct them instead of just deleting them.

It is a daily horror for any normal PvP player to see a full mailbox again.
    Edited by Thraben on 30 June 2021 09:26
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thraben wrote: »

I spend at least 5 minutes every day destroying Rewards of the Worthy. 15 minutes if I would actually open and deconstruct them instead of just deleting them.

It is a daily horror for any normal PvP player to see a full mailbox again.

I open them in front of a merchant and just vendor them. May's well make a little gold.. it all adds up I guess. Still, it does take a good 10 minutes or so. I usually have a backlog of mail, so when I get rid of a few, a bunch more come flooding through.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People act like they are getting 100 an hour. You get 1 reward every 20K AP. Outside events, earning 200K AP is a good night, that's 10 rewards. I understand there will people some people that will now try to boost about how much AP they get. They will even show pics of 50 unopened mail, but like I said, outside of events 200K in a night is a good night.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Agrippa (not for the first or probably the last time). I’ll add that the Zeni devs acknowledged a few years ago that rotw mail was litter, and reduced the frequency of them. Then a few months later they increased the AP gain rate so people were able to rank up more quickly. This effectively put the rotw mail volume back to what it was before they changed it.

Even worse though is the mail from BG. Every single BG is 2-3 mails. Why does Zeni insist on burying pvp players in garbage mails?
    Edited by Reverb on 30 June 2021 14:30
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Scamandros
    Scamandros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best change to rewards of the worthy was when they introduced auto deletion of mail after a period of time.

I am perhaps the worthiest of all but even I do not appreciate this amount of adoration
    Aeryj
    Fantasia
    Blades of Vengeance

Mighty Eagle by serjustin19 for your viewing convenience.
    Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle.
    I fell out of my nest

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I screech I screech
    but no one hears me

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I started to wonder off
    I want to come back but lost my way.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I came face to face
    Of Mighty Lion

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I came to fall in love with Mighty Lion
    Who's claws is sharp and just

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Then suddenly
    Mighty Dragon Came

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Dragon roared aloud
    Who's mighty paws make earthquake
    that quivers underneath our feet

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Soon battle rages
    Between the Mighty Lion and Mighty Dragon

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    My heart grows heavy
    For who do I belong in Scourge PS4 EU

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I continue to battle.
    But Battle I must do within myself

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I screech, I screech
    Long and hard. I made a fuss

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Then suddenly
    As if I was dreaming

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I heard a screech
    But suddenly, I attack Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle had to defend

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I know I was fighting for Mighty Lion
    So I fought back.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I attack I attack
    But to no avail

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    The Mighty claws who's mighty claws
    Felt unnatural to me and very clumsy to me

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Why I have chosen to not stay with you
    I do not know. I am complicated at that.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I have destroyed Mighty Eagle
    My own kin in Scourge PS4 EU

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I crawled into a ball
    Weep to no avail

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Lost in my whirling thoughts
    My heart and mind is clouded

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I have served Mighty Lion over a year
    I thought Mighty Lion is were I belong anew

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I finally contacted
    Mighty Eagle

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle says they love me
    In reality I love them also.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I continued to clash
    At Mighty Eagle however

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    But clashing with Mighty Eagle
    Just not feel right

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I have made a wrong choice I now believe
    Terrible and unjust of what I did

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    For am I not a monster
    For attacking a faction who loves me instead

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I was wrong
    Mighty Eagle was right

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Come. Please take me back Mighty Eagle
    For I believe I now know

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Were I truly belong
    For indeed I thought

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    That Mighty Lion
    Is were I belong.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    O how I was so wrong Mighty Eagle
    I was gravely wrong and such a fool I was.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    You have met
    Princess Justine

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Princess Justine who attacked
    Mighty Eagle

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I know this was wrong
    And so to does Princess Justine

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    With our clashing together
    I now know were I truly belong in Scourge PS4 EU I believe.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Have you all not heard
    The famous saying. That is very wise and so very true?

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Let me repeat the famous saying
    that is very wise and so true

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    It is
    My Enemy, Enemy's, Enemy's
    Is my friend

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I come to thee Mighty Eagle
    And so to Princess Justine.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Who used to serve Mighty Lion
    But Now serve Mighty Eagle
    For the very first time in her career.

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Princess Justine and are one in the same
    Were I go. She will go to. For she believes it is right choice

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    We are all yours
    O Mighty Eagle

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    No one else but you
    I feel peaceful. Unafraid

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    I belong to you O mighty Eagle
    I am so relieved to hear myself to say that

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Princess Justine and I

Mighty Eagle
    Mighty Eagle
    Now flies and fights alongside with Mighty Eagle
    Who's Mighty talons stand for sacred Freedom

Written by Serjustin19
    Written on this day
    September 27. The day when My troubled mind is not clouded no longer.
    In the year of my troubles end
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geeze people. You open them before logging off. You get free stuff for basically nothing. You break down or sell the gear for mats or gold. No one forcing you to let them pile up for a week.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geeze people. You open them before logging off. You get free stuff for basically nothing. You break down or sell the gear for mats or gold. No one forcing you to let them pile up for a week.

What you are describing is an annoyance. And I agree not a big deal.

What the OP is getting at and the bigger issue at hand is the reason why many of us see "rewards" of the worthy as a chore, an annoyance, etc., is the fact that ZOS is so apathetic to Cyrodiil and PvP in general, they can't even be bothered to update a system that was put in place 4-5 years ago. They can;t even be bothered to hire a PvP developer that might be able to think of some creative and interesting ways to motivate / reward people who find their primary enjoyment in PvP. For this, I don;t care how short some people take to clean out their mailbox, ZOS's overall approach, or more accurately lack of approach, to PvP and the rewards associated is 100% unacceptable and I will not be giving them any passes for what might seem a trivial matter.
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    I agree with Agrippa (not for the first or probably the last time). I’ll add that the Zeni devs acknowledged a few years ago that rotw mail was litter, and reduced the frequency of them. Then a few months later they increased the AP gain rate so people were able to rank up more quickly. This effectively put the rotw mail volume back to what it was before they changed it.

Even worse though is the mail from BG. Every single BG is 2-3 mails. Why does Zeni insist on burying pvp players in garbage mails?

I'm almost afraid to open some of them because someone from there may be trying to reach me about my car's extended warranty.

Like STUGA.
    Edited by Sephyr on 2 July 2021 01:23
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    I need transmute stones....
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭

This. I think a 1-2-3 geode win would be cool. 1st gets 3, 2nd 2, last 1. Or even a 0-1-2.
  • CSose
    CSose
    ✭✭✭✭
    We should still get rewards, they just desperately need to update them so they have some measurable value.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS really drags it's heels on QoL improvements. Giving a guaranteed geode doesn't make the game easier. It just makes it a little more convenient, and that's not a bad thing.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rewards of the Worthy are very annoying. The only thing worthwhile are the transmute crystals and I'm already at the 1000 limit.

If I could opt-out of receiving Rewards of the Worthy, I would.
    PC NA
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Rewards of the Worthy are very annoying. The only thing worthwhile are the transmute crystals and I'm already at the 1000 limit.

if you are bogged down on crystals and have no need for them, make some low level weapons, transmute them to nirnhoned, then deconstruct them for that sweet nirncrux.
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »

if you are bogged down on crystals and have no need for them, make some low level weapons, transmute them to nirnhoned, then deconstruct them for that sweet nirncrux.

^^^
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can make it simple. If you don't want them, send them to me and I will dispose of them for you!! O:)