Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How To Kill a Sorc

• Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lettigall wrote: »
    Cody wrote: »
    Here is how I kill them with my NB:

use 2H to gap close them. dodge roll about once or twice to dodge any procced crystal frags. CC them and begin spamming the crap out of uppercut to get thru all the stacked damage shields. the sorc will likely bolt away to try to stack about 6 more shields(:D) so crit charge them and continue hitting them with uppercut while they do this(and again, be sure to dodge roll afterwards so you dont get hit by insta cast frags) eventually, the sorc will realize stacking shields is hopeless, and will bolt away and try something like overload. when this happens, CC them and start putting out all the damage you can. By now the sorc has likely done a few dodge rolls and CC breaks, and will likely have extended most(if not all) of their stamina and maybe even their magicka., to the point they cant dodge roll or CC break/block cast anymore. continue pummeling them until they go down.

and, of course, do not fall for baits via BE.

idk how a templar would do it, but I would make use of any interruptions such as javalin, and use stuff like eclipse, so the sorc is forced to either take damage or waste 1/3 of their bar CC breaking it.

Drain their stamina and they will die, as at that point you can play it WoW style and perma CC them and just nuke them.

be sure to have some heals ready, as you will be getting hit by cureses and mines.(oh and watch out for mines)

Don't be shy, instead of "CC them" say "fear them" :D

uppercut CCs them:D
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can tell you somethings that will help.

Use a shield, light armor one if need be to eat the detonation or a mine if you need to. There is a narrow window between the mines that you can shield charge through but it's risky. At worst you will hit the back one but the shield will absorb it.

If you have any ranged skills on your bar you can just avoid the mines altogether. If you have any aoes you can drop down like caltrops or eruption etc drop them on the back side of the mines so the sorc has to move out of his mines.

If you get knocked down by frags hit reflect or shield immediately when you get back up as you have either an overload or a soul assault headed your way.

Don't play the sorcs game make him play your game. If he bolts off don't chase, head the opposite direction and make him bolt back twice the distance to get back to you. If he gets away he gets away. Despite the bolt nerf you will lose more resources covering the same distance and that is exactly what the sorc is relying on.

For me personally I can't overpower them in my build. I have to try and make them screw up. That typically involves a reflect on a good nuke volley of overloads, frags or force pulse. You won't be able to kill their stamina because they won't be using it to block significantly or roll.
    Edited by Armitas on 14 April 2015 13:40
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • SafiyerAmitora
    SafiyerAmitora
    ✭✭✭
    Armitas wrote: »
    You won't be able to kill their stamina because they won't be using it to block significantly or roll.

Fear or any CCs are a good drain to their stam.
    Legend || Mizery Records || Black Market Wares
    Aeilith ~ AD L50 Khajiit magicka NB dps/max crafter (NA)
    Naraiya ~ AD L50 Altmer magicka Sorc dps (NA)
    Dont Die Like I Did ~ DC L50 Khajiit magicka Templar heals (NA)
    Bring The Pain ~ AD L50 Dunmer magicka DK tank (NA)
    An Achílles Heal ~ AD L50 Breton magicka Templar heals (NA)
    One Two Gank A Few ~ EP L50 Bosmer stam NB dps (NA)
    Your Lást Mistáke ~ DC L50 Altmer magicka NB dps (NA)
    Rekts All Noobs ~ DC L50 Redguard stam DK dps (NA)
    Reaper of Salt ~ EP L50 Khajiit stam Sorc dps
    The Réktoning ~ AD L8 Dunmer magicka DK dps
    Avaraiya ~ AD L25 Altmer magicka Warden tank
    Nafatiri ~ EP L24 Argonian magicka Warden heals
    Once Upon An OP Magden ~ EP L3 Altmer magicka Warden dps (NA)
    Updated: 08/01/2018
    759 Champion Points || ESO Member since Apr 2014
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what you posted it sounds like to me the biggest problem you have is that you insist on fighting opponents in situations that favor them rather than you.

For all the complaining about DKs, that class has always been third in classes I have died to. If the forumites can be believed and "everyone" rolled a DK, the fact that they still were third says something about their lack of burst damage, their ability to be kited, their ability to not die as opposed to kill. If they were the class that killed you most, the only way I can see that is possible is if you willingly went toe-to-toe with them and thus fought them in a situation that they are at their best.

Now in your post, you took the bait "several times" against sorcerers on the periphery; now you are admitting you repeatedly engage in such behavior. When a nightblade enters stealth, do you just stand there and look at the map waiting for her to ambush you? No? Then why engage the other classes on terms of their choosing?

Play on a campaign long enough and eventually you learn the names of those solo sorcs who just bait players to come and chase them. Just don't it. Right now on NA Chillrend, this AD sorc Van Exile (I think that is the name) I just hate seeing because that dude just doesn't die and has learned the class well enough that he/she can kite pursuers forever. So every time I see that name, I always make it a point to annoy him/her as much as possible (by starting off with eclipse or a hard CC charge) because: 1) it's fun :smiley: , 2) it *might* create a situation in which a kill is possible (only realistically possible if other players are around...sux being a magicka templar with no burst DPS), if Van Exile has a moment where the ego gets the better of him/her and fights instead of bolts, the terms of the engagement are at that moment favorable to me. What invariably happens is Van Exile disengages and smartly attempts to lure me away. I don't fall for it. Only if my 6th sense tells me their resources are low and a quick kill is possible and even then if the kill doesn't happen in 5 or 6 seconds, then that is a queue to reassess my incorrect assumption on desperation of fleeing sorc.

So short of it is, maybe Van Exile is just as annoyed to see me because that means an eclipse is coming :smiley: and we refuse to fight on the other's terms. Think about it, players like Van Exile, Ezareth, Quelle, Arcane Requim, Teargrants, etc., have specifically designed their build and have much gameplay experience at solo-roaming. Unless you also have a dedicated anti-sorc build and acquire just as much experience hunting down solo-sorcs, they are going to have the advantage in material and experience on top of a class the is ideally suited for this sort of gameplay.

Edited by Joy_Division on 14 April 2015 15:43
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Plan to Kill a Sorc:
    Phase 1: Equip 4 pieces of Nirnhoned Armor
    Phase 2: ?
    Phase 3: Profit
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the spell penetration really make that much difference? The bug is fixed, no?
    Templars are 'just slower... by design'
    Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • SafiyerAmitora
    SafiyerAmitora
    ✭✭✭
    Does the spell penetration really make that much difference? The bug is fixed, no?

Nirnhoned armor does +% spell resist.
    Legend || Mizery Records || Black Market Wares
    Aeilith ~ AD L50 Khajiit magicka NB dps/max crafter (NA)
    Naraiya ~ AD L50 Altmer magicka Sorc dps (NA)
    Dont Die Like I Did ~ DC L50 Khajiit magicka Templar heals (NA)
    Bring The Pain ~ AD L50 Dunmer magicka DK tank (NA)
    An Achílles Heal ~ AD L50 Breton magicka Templar heals (NA)
    One Two Gank A Few ~ EP L50 Bosmer stam NB dps (NA)
    Your Lást Mistáke ~ DC L50 Altmer magicka NB dps (NA)
    Rekts All Noobs ~ DC L50 Redguard stam DK dps (NA)
    Reaper of Salt ~ EP L50 Khajiit stam Sorc dps
    The Réktoning ~ AD L8 Dunmer magicka DK dps
    Avaraiya ~ AD L25 Altmer magicka Warden tank
    Nafatiri ~ EP L24 Argonian magicka Warden heals
    Once Upon An OP Magden ~ EP L3 Altmer magicka Warden dps (NA)
    Updated: 08/01/2018
    759 Champion Points || ESO Member since Apr 2014
  • Spangla
    Spangla
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ezareth wrote: »
    Spangla wrote: »
    Mumyo wrote: »
    So, Sorcerors have recently replaced DKs as the class I die to most in PvP, so I thought I'd start a thread for advice on how to kill them.

Now, let me acknowledge that I have played a Sorc for nearly a year now, and I'm not complaining about them-- I have had fun learning the class. Right now I feel that they are very strong. But I'd also like to have a chance against them in Cyrodiil on my SB/Bow Templar.

I made some mistakes last night. There were the typical farming sorcs who come to the edge of a battle and try to tempt people to follow them. I mistakenly took the bait several times. They hit BoL until they felt safe, then dropped Daedric Mines, had shields stacked, and basically just played the resource game with Curses, procced Frags and Fury. I had some success with Defensive Stance, but found it hard to get past those shields. They always seemed to have more resources than me (I wasn't using the best potions, so that is definitely something I can change). I couldn't shield charge them down because of the Daedric Mines. So what should I be doing?

Any advice is welcome.

Im sorry man but if the sorc doesnt do a big mistake u will actually never be able to kill them, they surely have the better ressource management because the templar has the worst by far. I assume u are stamina based and the only thing i would recommend you to maybe live a bit longer is to use Evasion and reflect from s/B tree but try to dodgeroll often.

At some point they forget about the reflect that hopefully is still up and u start bursting in front of them with ur jabs while the reflect is still up and protects you and grants u additional burst.

A smart sorc will simply renew his shield or blink away and place some new mines^^
    A stupid one panics and dies.
    At the end of the day u might kill some noobs but there is no way to kill a good sorc as templar. Im sry.
    U also might have better chances using wrecking blow since the 0.3 knockback is too bad to burst em down, they will renew their shields. Jabs in combination with javelin also helps alot, in case their stamina runs out, you can try to use the luminous shards and stunnlock them as often as possible (which is nearly impossible against a good sorc because that throw sucks and takes long and is stupid to place....) dont take the blazing shards since its a usual stunn and makes em immune!

U will die anyway because ur ressources suck, i mean dk has battle roar, nb has 30% more passive and u have that a... uhmmm... yes! u have that heal ult xD

Correct pretty sure there is no way to kill a top sorc 1v1 as temp.

In fact - is there anyway for any class to kill the top sorcs 1v1 atm? Unless it is from stealth?

equally skilled nightblades, other sorcs, and stamina build DKs with 2hander/bow mass weapon damage burst. I've had some magicka templars come very close to killing me (those shields freaking hurt!) but haven't been killed by one in 1.6 yet in a straight 1 v 1. Ebonheart templar may be able to manage it if I keep trying to fight him while he permarolls around a tree haha but he plays NB now.

A better question to ask is why are all the best players switching to NB!??

Pretty sure they're all on sorcs from my experience - I have a friend who plays eu ad sorc. I consider him to be one of the top 3 sorcs eu. He freely admits he has only lost 1 1v1 since 1.6 was released and it was agaisnt a dk. Unfortunately they fought 3 times and he won the other 2.

Since sorcs have figured out that they can have enough stam regen to never run out they are op fact.

• Vis
    Vis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what you posted it sounds like to me the biggest problem you have is that you insist on fighting opponents in situations that favor them rather than you.

For all the complaining about DKs, that class has always been third in classes I have died to. If the forumites can be believed and "everyone" rolled a DK, the fact that they still were third says something about their lack of burst damage, their ability to be kited, their ability to not die as opposed to kill. If they were the class that killed you most, the only way I can see that is possible is if you willingly went toe-to-toe with them and thus fought them in a situation that they are at their best.

Now in your post, you took the bait "several times" against sorcerers on the periphery; now you are admitting you repeatedly engage in such behavior. When a nightblade enters stealth, do you just stand there and look at the map waiting for her to ambush you? No? Then why engage the other classes on terms of their choosing?

Play on a campaign long enough and eventually you learn the names of those solo sorcs who just bait players to come and chase them. Just don't it. Right now on NA Chillrend, this AD sorc Van Exile (I think that is the name) I just hate seeing because that dude just doesn't die and has learned the class well enough that he/she can kite pursuers forever. So every time I see that name, I always make it a point to annoy him/her as much as possible (by starting off with eclipse or a hard CC charge) because: 1) it's fun :smiley: , 2) it *might* create a situation in which a kill is possible (only realistically possible if other players are around...sux being a magicka templar with no burst DPS), if Van Exile has a moment where the ego gets the better of him/her and fights instead of bolts, the terms of the engagement are at that moment favorable to me. What invariably happens is Van Exile disengages and smartly attempts to lure me away. I don't fall for it. Only if my 6th sense tells me their resources are low and a quick kill is possible and even then if the kill doesn't happen in 5 or 6 seconds, then that is a queue to reassess my incorrect assumption on desperation of fleeing sorc.

So short of it is, maybe Van Exile is just as annoyed to see me because that means an eclipse is coming :smiley: and we refuse to fight on the other's terms. Think about it, players like Van Exile, Ezareth, Quelle, Arcane Requim, Teargrants, etc., have specifically designed their build and have much gameplay experience at solo-roaming. Unless you also have a dedicated anti-sorc build and acquire just as much experience hunting down solo-sorcs, they are going to have the advantage in material and experience on top of a class the is ideally suited for this sort of gameplay.

@Joy_Division Grrrr. Stop eclipsing me and let me kill the weaker ones around you. :'(

When I see the Eclipse I immediately look for the templar casting it. How strong of a templar are they? What are the numbers and composition around them? If it is Joy Division I know I have to tread on a light foot since he/she knows how to refresh CC 's. That means I have three cc breaks and four rolls until OOS. That means 20 seconds to burst someone. But knowing Joy Division is a good healer, 20 seconds is not very likely. Hence the need to bait, stretch groups apart, Bolt to the flanks, and pull the numbers away from their templar. Good on Joy Division for recognizing that and keeping those around her close and tight. Can't kill numbers without burst. Can't burst against great heals and constant cc.
    Edited by Vis on 15 April 2015 12:09
    v14 Sorc Vae Exillis
    v14 DK Costs
    v14 NB 'Vis
    v14 Temp Fiat Lux

• Germtrocity
    Germtrocity
    ✭✭✭✭
    When a nightblade enters stealth, do you just stand there and look at the map waiting for her to ambush you? No? Then why engage the other classes on terms of their choosing?

Actually, I usually do /read to try and get them to come out :relaxed:
    Then they see why attacking me when you don't have at least 2 friends around is a bad idea :wink:
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spangla wrote: »
    Pretty sure they're all on sorcs from my experience - I have a friend who plays eu ad sorc. I consider him to be one of the top 3 sorcs eu. He freely admits he has only lost 1 1v1 since 1.6 was released and it was agaisnt a dk. Unfortunately they fought 3 times and he won the other 2.

Since sorcs have figured out that they can have enough stam regen to never run out they are op fact.

Only 1 v 1 I've lost since 1.6 was to another Sorc bugging my BoL. Does that mean anything? Nope. I just haven't run into many of the top NB players while playing solo yet. Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

Let me let you in on a little secret.....sorcs aren't the only class who "figured out" that they can have enough stamina regen to never run out.
    Edited by Ezareth on 15 April 2015 15:30
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vis wrote: »

@Joy_Division Grrrr. Stop eclipsing me and let me kill the weaker ones around you. :'(

When I see the Eclipse I immediately look for the templar casting it. How strong of a templar are they? What are the numbers and composition around them? If it is Joy Division I know I have to tread on a light foot since he/she knows how to refresh CC 's. That means I have three cc breaks and four rolls until OOS. That means 20 seconds to burst someone. But knowing Joy Division is a good healer, 20 seconds is not very likely. Hence the need to bait, stretch groups apart, Bolt to the flanks, and pull the numbers away from their templar. Good on Joy Division for recognizing that and keeping those around her close and tight. Can't kill numbers without burst. Can't burst against great heals and constant cc.

Yeah when I run into an eclipse spammer I'm always calculating how much overload it's going to cost me to kill him. It's always a risky business when your CC cooldown is almost up and you have them on the ropes.
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When a nightblade enters stealth, do you just stand there and look at the map waiting for her to ambush you? No? Then why engage the other classes on terms of their choosing?

Actually, I usually do /read to try and get them to come out :relaxed:
    Then they see why attacking me when you don't have at least 2 friends around is a bad idea :wink:

In my experience casting Defensive Rune and starting to ride away works better against single enemies. I wonder how long it will take until they figure it out... :trollface: .
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU