Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How To Kill a Sorc

david.haypreub18_ESO
david.haypreub18_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
So, Sorcerors have recently replaced DKs as the class I die to most in PvP, so I thought I'd start a thread for advice on how to kill them.

Now, let me acknowledge that I have played a Sorc for nearly a year now, and I'm not complaining about them-- I have had fun learning the class. Right now I feel that they are very strong. But I'd also like to have a chance against them in Cyrodiil on my SB/Bow Templar.

I made some mistakes last night. There were the typical farming sorcs who come to the edge of a battle and try to tempt people to follow them. I mistakenly took the bait several times. They hit BoL until they felt safe, then dropped Daedric Mines, had shields stacked, and basically just played the resource game with Curses, procced Frags and Fury. I had some success with Defensive Stance, but found it hard to get past those shields. They always seemed to have more resources than me (I wasn't using the best potions, so that is definitely something I can change). I couldn't shield charge them down because of the Daedric Mines. So what should I be doing?

Any advice is welcome.
Templars are 'just slower... by design'
Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
VR 16 Sorcerer
38 Nightblade
24 DK
  • cozmon3c_ESO
    cozmon3c_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cc them, eat a mine while they don't have frag proc'ed. Would be nice to know what class you were. Slot defensive posture and reflect frags back at the sorc.
    Guild UMBRA Chapter Lead
    ~Leper Si -V14 Sorcerer~
    Youtube Channel - Leper
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCozmon3c/videos
  • cozmon3c_ESO
    cozmon3c_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cc them, eat a mine while they don't have frag proc'ed. Would be nice to know what class you were. Slot defensive posture and reflect frags back at the sorc.

As I noted in the OP, I am a SB/Bow Templar (though from time to time I also have used 2-hander and Resto staff).

Thanks very much for the advice though; I will check that link.
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three spells I would definitely have on my bar if were a Sorc-hunting Templar with a bow:

1) Binding Javelin

2) Venom Arrow

3) Eclipse

Sorcs hate being knocked down or CC'd, and they hate being interrupted in the middle of casting a spell.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Draehl
    Draehl
    ✭✭✭
    I've just stopped chasing them. 1) Ball Lightning eats Crippling Grasp with impunity and 2) Lotus Fan is trash and 3) I'm not wasting a skill on my bar to get into melee when in all other cases I have no need to get into melee. I'll just heal allies, keep absorb magic up if they attack me and maybe assist if we have a charger with us who can get past BL. It's a BS skill but whatever, I'm over it and will just stay put on whatever the objective is.
    Main: Breton Nightblade "Shadow Cleric" (Sustained Damage/offhealer) 5L/2H - Resto + S&B
    Alt: Argonian Dragonknight (Stam DoTs/Tank) 5H/2M - S&B + Bow
    Alt: Nord Templar Berserker (Rawr) 5M/2H - Dual Wield + Two Hander
    Alt: Altmer Sorceror (Pewpew) 7L - Destro + Resto
  • Pancake-Tragedy
    Pancake-Tragedy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use Shield charge/crit charge to stay in the Sorcs face. You can stay with them the entire time if they attempt to bolt away. If they get out of range, switch to bow to get a few ranged shots in so they have to refresh their shield and stop bolting. If they get out of bow range, then give up on the chase because you are playing into their strengths at that point. Get line of sight from them and make them come back to you.

Save whatever burst abilities you want to use until the sorc is out of stamina so you don't waste resources. Once the sorc isn't CC-breaking, blow him up with whatever you want.

I've been playing my NB lately (and I'm a terrible NB) and this has worked just fine to tear up sorcs.
    Pancake Tragedy - Sorcerer
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stack like 3500 spell damage/wd and 30000 magicka/stam. Stealth up behind them and watch their buffs. As soon as they feel unthreatened and let their defenses lapse, blow them up in 1 second.
    Edited by timidobserver on 12 April 2015 18:16
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Fatalyis
    Fatalyis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Drain that Sorcerers stamina! I laugh whenever I see a Magicka Sorcerer blocking because I know 9/10 I'm going to kill him....even if he tries to bolt away. When I'm not running with my group (at which point I stick with crown regardless), I have a rule of thumb....if the Sorc survives through three Bolt Escapes (with me Crit Charging each time) then he's free to go. Do NOT keep chasing them. As Pancake said, once you give chase, the odds tend to go in their favor....unless they're horrible...in which case chasing them wasn't worth it from the get go.
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three spells I would definitely have on my bar if were a Sorc-hunting Templar with a bow:

1) Binding Javelin

2) Venom Arrow

3) Eclipse

Sorcs hate being knocked down or CC'd, and they hate being interrupted in the middle of casting a spell.

Definitely going to give Javelin a shot. I know most people don't use it due to its high cost and relatively low damage, but I need a CC to attack his stamina, and Magnum Shot just doesn't do it for me (I want to keep him close, not push him away). Thanks for the advice!
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How to kill a v14 sorc as a v6 DK (at least i think i was v6 at that time :)) :smile:
    https://youtu.be/AsoelQtR_Cs
  • Lettigall
    Lettigall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar is as class with whom you don't want to against sorcs. Class abilities which could help against sorcs are ether broken(eclipse, charge) or underpowered(javelin). No root skills , shield expensive and demands to sacrifice dmg to be useful. And you need dmg to get through sorc shields.

Some men just want to watch the world burn... I just want a cold beer!
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way you're going to drain a sorc of Stamina is if they block...

Using CC on them will not work..Because they'll get whatever stamina they lost back in the time CC immunity is up.

• Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Using CC on them will not work..Because they'll get whatever stamina they lost back in the time CC immunity is up.
    Wrong, it costs aprox 3600 stam to CC break (w/o reduced break free cost). Even without blocking the sorc will not regen that much by the time CC immunity wears off unless they popped a potion.
    POST EQVITEM SEDET ATRA CVRA
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive got 1.1k stamina regen and 8% reduced cc break cost. My stamina will definately get back to full before the next cc can be used on me. What Ive found most annoying tho, is when someone places aoe where me and my mines are.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teargrants wrote: »

Wrong, it costs aprox 3600 stam to CC break (w/o reduced break free cost). Even without blocking the sorc will not regen that much by the time CC immunity wears off unless they popped a potion.

I´m running 800 stam reg just to be sure to never get drained oos. It´s literally impossible to drain stam if its only used to break ever.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Here is how I kill them with my NB:

use 2H to gap close them. dodge roll about once or twice to dodge any procced crystal frags. CC them and begin spamming the crap out of uppercut to get thru all the stacked damage shields. the sorc will likely bolt away to try to stack about 6 more shields(:D) so crit charge them and continue hitting them with uppercut while they do this(and again, be sure to dodge roll afterwards so you dont get hit by insta cast frags) eventually, the sorc will realize stacking shields is hopeless, and will bolt away and try something like overload. when this happens, CC them and start putting out all the damage you can. By now the sorc has likely done a few dodge rolls and CC breaks, and will likely have extended most(if not all) of their stamina and maybe even their magicka., to the point they cant dodge roll or CC break/block cast anymore. continue pummeling them until they go down.

and, of course, do not fall for baits via BE.

idk how a templar would do it, but I would make use of any interruptions such as javalin, and use stuff like eclipse, so the sorc is forced to either take damage or waste 1/3 of their bar CC breaking it.

Drain their stamina and they will die, as at that point you can play it WoW style and perma CC them and just nuke them.

be sure to have some heals ready, as you will be getting hit by cureses and mines.(oh and watch out for mines)
    Edited by Cody on 12 April 2015 21:20
  • Lettigall
    Lettigall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cody wrote: »
    Here is how I kill them with my NB:

use 2H to gap close them. dodge roll about once or twice to dodge any procced crystal frags. CC them and begin spamming the crap out of uppercut to get thru all the stacked damage shields. the sorc will likely bolt away to try to stack about 6 more shields(:D) so crit charge them and continue hitting them with uppercut while they do this(and again, be sure to dodge roll afterwards so you dont get hit by insta cast frags) eventually, the sorc will realize stacking shields is hopeless, and will bolt away and try something like overload. when this happens, CC them and start putting out all the damage you can. By now the sorc has likely done a few dodge rolls and CC breaks, and will likely have extended most(if not all) of their stamina and maybe even their magicka., to the point they cant dodge roll or CC break/block cast anymore. continue pummeling them until they go down.

and, of course, do not fall for baits via BE.

idk how a templar would do it, but I would make use of any interruptions such as javalin, and use stuff like eclipse, so the sorc is forced to either take damage or waste 1/3 of their bar CC breaking it.

Drain their stamina and they will die, as at that point you can play it WoW style and perma CC them and just nuke them.

be sure to have some heals ready, as you will be getting hit by cureses and mines.(oh and watch out for mines)

Don't be shy, instead of "CC them" say "fear them" :D
    Some men just want to watch the world burn... I just want a cold beer!
  • Mumyo
    Mumyo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, Sorcerors have recently replaced DKs as the class I die to most in PvP, so I thought I'd start a thread for advice on how to kill them.

Now, let me acknowledge that I have played a Sorc for nearly a year now, and I'm not complaining about them-- I have had fun learning the class. Right now I feel that they are very strong. But I'd also like to have a chance against them in Cyrodiil on my SB/Bow Templar.

I made some mistakes last night. There were the typical farming sorcs who come to the edge of a battle and try to tempt people to follow them. I mistakenly took the bait several times. They hit BoL until they felt safe, then dropped Daedric Mines, had shields stacked, and basically just played the resource game with Curses, procced Frags and Fury. I had some success with Defensive Stance, but found it hard to get past those shields. They always seemed to have more resources than me (I wasn't using the best potions, so that is definitely something I can change). I couldn't shield charge them down because of the Daedric Mines. So what should I be doing?

Any advice is welcome.

Im sorry man but if the sorc doesnt do a big mistake u will actually never be able to kill them, they surely have the better ressource management because the templar has the worst by far. I assume u are stamina based and the only thing i would recommend you to maybe live a bit longer is to use Evasion and reflect from s/B tree but try to dodgeroll often.

At some point they forget about the reflect that hopefully is still up and u start bursting in front of them with ur jabs while the reflect is still up and protects you and grants u additional burst.

A smart sorc will simply renew his shield or blink away and place some new mines^^
    A stupid one panics and dies.
    At the end of the day u might kill some noobs but there is no way to kill a good sorc as templar. Im sry.
    U also might have better chances using wrecking blow since the 0.3 knockback is too bad to burst em down, they will renew their shields. Jabs in combination with javelin also helps alot, in case their stamina runs out, you can try to use the luminous shards and stunnlock them as often as possible (which is nearly impossible against a good sorc because that throw sucks and takes long and is stupid to place....) dont take the blazing shards since its a usual stunn and makes em immune!

U will die anyway because ur ressources suck, i mean dk has battle roar, nb has 30% more passive and u have that a... uhmmm... yes! u have that heal ult xD
  • Spangla
    Spangla
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mumyo wrote: »

Any advice is welcome.

Im sorry man but if the sorc doesnt do a big mistake u will actually never be able to kill them, they surely have the better ressource management because the templar has the worst by far. I assume u are stamina based and the only thing i would recommend you to maybe live a bit longer is to use Evasion and reflect from s/B tree but try to dodgeroll often.

At some point they forget about the reflect that hopefully is still up and u start bursting in front of them with ur jabs while the reflect is still up and protects you and grants u additional burst.

A smart sorc will simply renew his shield or blink away and place some new mines^^
    At the end of the day u might kill some noobs but there is no way to kill a good sorc as templar. Im sry.
    U also might have better chances using wrecking blow since the 0.3 knockback is too bad to burst em down, they will renew their shields. Jabs in combination with javelin also helps alot, in case their stamina runs out, you can try to use the luminous shards and stunnlock them as often as possible (which is nearly impossible against a good sorc because that throw sucks and takes long and is stupid to place....) dont take the blazing shards since its a usual stunn and makes em immune!

U will die anyway because ur ressources suck, i mean dk has battle roar, nb has 30% more passive and u have that a... uhmmm... yes! u have that heal ult xD

Correct pretty sure there is no way to kill a top sorc 1v1 as temp.

In fact - is there anyway for any class to kill the top sorcs 1v1 atm? Unless it is from stealth?
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To Kill a Sorcingbird would have been a nice title for this thread :-P
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spangla wrote: »

Any advice is welcome.

In fact - is there anyway for any class to kill the top sorcs 1v1 atm? Unless it is from stealth?

Stamina NBs can do so with the ambush fear ultimate combo - might have to make multiple attempts though (weaken shield first with flying blade or bow attacks - also dodgeroll). Stam DKs can win if the sorc only has base stam reg and the DK is not sloppy with petrify (Edit: Stam DKs might need a different approach than other classes in terms of sets for that matchup bc extra magica reg helps them the most for scales uptime + petrify + igneous shield).
    For Templars i don´t see a way atm.
    Edited by Derra on 13 April 2015 07:22
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    only on max distance
    Derra wrote: »

Any advice is welcome.

Stamina NBs can do so with the ambush fear ultimate combo - might have to make multiple attempts though (weaken shield first with flying blade or bow attacks - also dodgeroll). Stam DKs can win if the sorc only has base stam reg and the DK is not sloppy with petrify (Edit: Stam DKs might need a different approach than other classes in terms of sets for that matchup bc extra magica reg helps them the most for scales uptime + petrify + igneous shield).
    For Templars i don´t see a way atm.

max distance and luck - having 1-2 CF flying and solar flare and an eclipse while those spells flying can insta gib the sorc as eclipse same as fear cant be instantly cc-broken but thats an awefull lot of luck needed.
    but as a mgica temp a sole sorc won´t kill you aswell, harness+eclipse+heals is impossible for the sorc to come by as well.
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Any advice is welcome.

equally skilled nightblades, other sorcs, and stamina build DKs with 2hander/bow mass weapon damage burst. I've had some magicka templars come very close to killing me (those shields freaking hurt!) but haven't been killed by one in 1.6 yet in a straight 1 v 1. Ebonheart templar may be able to manage it if I keep trying to fight him while he permarolls around a tree haha but he plays NB now.

A better question to ask is why are all the best players switching to NB!??
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ezareth wrote: »

Any advice is welcome.

equally skilled nightblades, other sorcs, and stamina build DKs with 2hander/bow mass weapon damage burst. I've had some magicka templars come very close to killing me (those shields freaking hurt!) but haven't been killed by one in 1.6 yet in a straight 1 v 1. Ebonheart templar may be able to manage it if I keep trying to fight him while he permarolls around a tree haha but he plays NB now.

maybe 30% stamina reg bonus? might be just a blind guess... :*
    making mine pvp ready currently aswell :P [but wouldn´t count myself to be among the best]

Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »

Any advice is welcome.

making mine pvp ready currently aswell :P [but wouldn´t count myself to be among the best]

If they ever make a "automatic level your char to VR1" option in the Crown store I'd be all over it. Playing from L3 to L50 would just be too unbearable for me.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    How to kill a v14 sorc as a v6 DK (at least i think i was v6 at that time :)) :smile:
    That sorcerer was terrible. I don't have any abilities that could one-shot me if have wards up, which means that he started fighting you without even casting a ward.
    :trollin:
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »

Any advice is welcome.

If they ever make a "automatic level your char to VR1" option in the Crown store I'd be all over it. Playing from L3 to L50 would just be too unbearable for me.
    thats actually the quickest part, one weekend and youre done.
    lvl to 32 - get the way point to the vile laboratory by one of your guildmates and you are V2 3-4hours later. from there on its a crutch though.

• FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That sorcerer was terrible. I don't have any abilities that could one-shot me if have wards up, which means that he started fighting you without even casting a ward.

He tried to pick him off a horse it looks like. So he did engage without ward up and got it reflected up close. Silly mistake, wouldnt say it makes the 'sorc terrible'...
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    FENGRUSH wrote: »

He tried to pick him off a horse it looks like. So he did engage without ward up and got it reflected up close. Silly mistake, wouldnt say it makes the 'sorc terrible'...

Exactly, I've died similarly a dozen times over(Although thankfully only to V14 DKs)
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

He wasn't one-shot in fact. I watched the original video frame by frame, and it appears i reflected a crystal shard and two overloads. All that plus my invasion hit him at the same time, plus-minus a split second.