Is "Insightful" the new Black?

kelly.medleyb14_ESO
kelly.medleyb14_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
Or rather does Insightful = (old)LOL = Disagree?
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The post you're judging will make it very clear whether your insightful is an LOL or not.
    Edited by Sallington on 27 February 2015 19:42
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
  • SG_Celerrimus
    SG_Celerrimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally, I believe that Insightful has indeed replaced the LOL button.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if Insightful is the new LOL yet; however, ever since people have started seeding the idea that it is, I have stopped clicking Insightful on genuinely Insightful posts to mitigate worries about people misconstruing their rank-ups.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Awesome should be the new LOL. Sometimes things are insightful. Sometimes I agree with someone even if they're not being insightful. If something is awesome I can easily say I agree with it.
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still use insightful as intended. If a post makes you so upset you can't help but frowny face and need a snarky button then use whatever you like, I suppose. I feel like, at that point, the person you're upset with has already won.
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the post is not insightful or awesome and you don't agree, then you just don't press any buttons. Very simple.
  • thelordoffelines
    thelordoffelines
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use insightful as the new lol. Someone else thought if it, awesome would've been better, but I'm going with it.
  • dharbert
    dharbert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Artemis wrote: »
    If the post is not insightful or awesome and you don't agree, then you just don't press any buttons. Very simple.

^ This. And if you disagree with the post, then post a reply stating your view instead of just being an anonymous keyboard warrior and clicking on a LOL button.
  • kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »
    Not sure if Insightful is the new LOL yet; however, ever since people have started seeding the idea that it is, I have stopped clicking Insightful on genuinely Insightful posts to mitigate worries about people misconstruing their rank-ups.

^ This, my thoughts exactly lol. Sometimes I think a post is insightful but I feel bad that they may misconstrue it so I hit awesome instead.
    I use insightful as the new lol. Someone else thought if it, awesome would've been better, but I'm going with it.

Same here, I will just start using insightful as the LoL or Disagree button just because its already started may as well not rock the boat.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly outside of the post about the lol being gone, it doesn't look like insightful has caught on as the new negative. It's too ambiguous to use that way, and it's not universally accepted. I still get it used, and continue to use it as intended.

When I see posts now that would have gotten lols, they are usually blank, even with a ton of replies. I think no button presses on a busy thread is the new disagree.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • dharbert
    dharbert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They need to remove all buttons, that would solve the issue. If you agree with the op, then let them know. If you disagree with the op, don't use a pansy passive-aggressive button and actually let the op know your point of view. Your differing point of view doesn't mean squat if you can't or won't back it up.
  • Majic
    Majic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dharbert wrote: »
    Your differing point of view doesn't mean squat if you can't or won't back it up.
    I disagree, and I refuse to back it up! :p

Epopt Of The Everspinning Logo, Church Of The Eternal Loading Screen
    And verily, verily, spaketh the Lord: "Error <<1>>"
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    InsightfulSolutions1.jpg
    insightsfull.jpg
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »

^ This, my thoughts exactly lol. Sometimes I think a post is insightful but I feel bad that they may misconstrue it so I hit awesome instead.

Same here, I will just start using insightful as the LoL or Disagree button just because its already started may as well not rock the boat.

Yeah, I keep seeing Insightfuls pop up on posts where they don't make sense and realize that it is just the slow transition taking hold, so I've withdrawn from using them.
    Similar to you, even back when LOL became the "new disagree," swapped over to using the Awesome button in its place.

"LOL" being used negatively is incredibly prevalent in everyone's mind now; however, back when it started to be used negatively it was slow to catch on as well.
    Often people would post in threads "just click LOL if you find it funny, if you disagree with someone take the time to post."
    Eventually it just became a part of awareness across the forums and the LOL spam got progressively more heavy until the new meaning was commonly accepted.

Insightful seems to be chugging along in the same direction now.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why can't posting why you don't agree with someone be the new LOL?

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »
    Awesome should be the new LOL. Sometimes things are insightful. Sometimes I agree with someone even if they're not being insightful. If something is awesome I can easily say I agree with it.

Awesome always was the old non-condescending LoL, wasn't it?
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Why can't posting why you don't agree with someone be the new LOL?

Because when your caught up with the frowns sometimes only the toggle of a boolean can unbottle all that angst?

I dunno. I think it's silly :smile:
    Edited by BBSooner on 27 February 2015 20:46
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL you are being dumb, people. Developers gave us nice range of different buttons, but you do everything for them to go back to good old carma, where you can only press "+" or "like" like on Facebook. Won't be able to use it as a new disagree button. Who will win if things go that way? Nobody.
    I say, stop ruining it for all of us.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here to back up what I said:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/153648/why-cant-eso-look-like-destiny/p1

This is a post asking why ESO can't look more like Destiny. 75 coments, no button presses. Meanwhile, the first few comments disagreeing have around a dozen agrees each.

You want to disagree with someone without making a post? Click agree on all the posts that disagree.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or rather does Insightful = (old)LOL = Disagree?

Crap forum buttons are crap.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Artemis wrote: »
    LOL you are being dumb, people. Developers gave us nice range of different buttons, but you do everything for them to go back to good old carma, where you can only press "+" or "like" like on Facebook. Won't be able to use it as a new disagree button. Who will win if things go that way? Nobody.
    I say, stop ruining it for all of us.

Honestly would much rather see it as a simple +1 system than the current incarnation.

Having a single method to +1 a post already makes more sense than what amounts to having 3 different +1 buttons.
  • cyqa
    cyqa
    ✭✭✭
    At this point, I really only use the Agree button because its intent really can't be misconstrued. I like that a "+1" type of button exists, because sometimes I just want to convey, "I agree with your point but I really don't have anything constructive to add."
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have lost 2 buttons so far due to abuse. If we continue along this trend we will eventually have 0 feedback buttons.
    Edited by Armitas on 27 February 2015 22:18
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From ESO Ask Us Anything today
    Will we get a disagree button on the official forums in the future?
    We are currently discussing adding agree and disagree—or possibly upvote and downvote—options to our official forums.

A simple upvote/downvote should have been set up in the first place. The silly button this/that and the point/rep system is totally meaningless. Simplicity is always better.
    Edited by Soulshine on 27 February 2015 22:28
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If someone feels the need to belittle your comment with a button push but without actually taking the time to argue against you, you should take the vote as a badge of honor.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This whole argument is stupid. If I clicked a Disagree or a LOL, it was because your argument was so insipidly stupid it didn't rate a reasonable argument against it! Clicking Disagree or LOL allowed me to show my disdain without breaking the TOS with a comment that was sure to be edited or deleted by a mod. Silencing people by removing that option is just going to cause the forums to slowly die as people are forced to write what they actually think and get banned or not write anything at all resulting in silence either way.
    Edited by SteveCampsOut on 28 February 2015 01:14
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This whole argument is stupid. If I clicked a Disagree or a LOL, it was because your argument was so insipidly stupid it didn't rate a reasonable argument against it! Clicking Disagree or LOL allowed me to show my disdain without breaking the TOS with a comment that was sure to be edited or deleted by a mod. Silencing people by removing that option is just going to cause the forums to slowly die as people are forced to write what they actually think and get banned or not write anything at all resulting in silence either way.

You could always just actually say, "no that's a terrible idea for these specific reasons," no bans needed.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it's not.
    [DC/NA]
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You could always just actually say, "no that's a terrible idea for these specific reasons," no bans needed.

Apparently you totally ignored my statement about how infinitely stupid I considered the example post and that it didn't deserve my time wasted elucidating just how infinitely stupid it was! I reserve the right to respond to stupidity with as little effort on my part as I deem possible.

Edited by SteveCampsOut on 28 February 2015 01:23
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
  • Zrakie
    Zrakie
    ✭✭
    As far as I have seen people just ignore the post/replies they are not fond of. Which is a good thing in my opinion.
    "Templar's brew is The Divine Tonic."